post #8131 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

You can just toggle the subs button when the movie starts when you see the forced subs mentioned on the OSD. I've done that in the past.

That feature has been on the firmware wish list for over two years. Rumor has it that its a Sigma issue while others say that its a HDi problem. I doubt we will ever see it fixed.

Being popcorn hour does forced tracks I doubt its a sigma issue. But its not 100% as mkv can have multiple subs marked as forced based off language so it only works for a single forced track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I kinda figured that.

I just do forced subs and leave them on all the time.
post #8133 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Liked: 13
Yup... my popcorn hour c200 handles the force flag perfectly, but the timing of the PGS subtitles is off... They start a little early, then hang longer than they should... I need a hybrid of dune and popcorn hour, but i don't think such an animal exists... Its disappointing that there is no fix on the horizon for either machine...
post #8134 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither machine is perfect so you have to pick the one that best fits your needs. I have learned to adapt to the Dunes and so far I have no issues...except for Akira not playing properly on the 53D Lite.
post #8135 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush78 View Post

Yup... my popcorn hour c200 handles the force flag perfectly, but the timing of the PGS subtitles is off... They start a little early, then hang longer than they should... I need a hybrid of dune and popcorn hour, but i don't think such an animal exists... Its disappointing that there is no fix on the horizon for either machine...

Does the dune handle PGS inside mkv without issues?
post #8136 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Does the dune handle PGS inside mkv without issues?

Yes, they handle them fine but they do not see the forced subs flags.
post #8137 of 10916 Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So I updated the Smart D1 to the new firmware.

Anyway the update installed just fine from the memory stick.

Can't see much difference from the last beta.....for my purposes which are minimal compared to most of you.

It appears that the mutli-channel PCM update that I discussed a few posts back did survive the firmware update process.
Only other boards that I visit (MPC Club) there are posts that say the multi-channel PCM decoding for DTS HD MA is still missing.

I really don't use Zappiti etc. so I have little comment on when it comes to the new firmware update.
post #8138 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

I hadn't consider doing one disc at a time since I do, in fact, use RAID, and consider it to be a very good idea. I don't want to have to re-rip 2TB worth of content a second time.

unRAID solves both problems. Parity protection and you can add discs one at a time.
post #8139 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.c View Post

If I had more than one Dune, I would definately keep them on my unRAID server so that Zappiti would only have to export them to one location. The nice thing about exporting Zappiti to my unRAID server was the export was much faster. The down side is I have heard others complain that if the servers hard drive spins down where the jukebox files are exported, there is a delay opening your jukebox software on the Dune.

Drew

I installed a SSD in my unRAID box specifically for jukebox export / storage. The SSD doesn't sleep so there isn't a delay to open the jukebox.

I paid ~$60 fo a Patriot 32 GB SSD. A little expensive per GB but since you don't need much storage is not a lot of money to resolve the issue.
post #8140 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

BD is FAR more finicky with respect to dirt or defects on discs, compared to DVD.

Indeed. I was hoping HD DVD would win out for exactly this reason.
post #8141 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I had almost exactly the same problem. Mike (hope you bought it from him) took great care of me and ended up replacing the whole unit. I now have a new generation unit.

Please reference an earlier post about needed a "fix" for the DTS HD MA audio processing.

My unit was about three months old; but I experienced the problem on two of three BD discs I played (real live physical shiny discs, not stuff on the Synology NAS).

So MD Riggs, it is probably not your imagination. Caveat; my discs were in mint condition; Terminator 2 and the Grateful Dead Movie. I can't vouch for the condition of the Netflix discs.

Thanks very much. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the player. Who is Mike? I got mine from Duneplayer.com. I emailed them an inquiry a few days ago, but so far no response.
post #8142 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

BD is FAR more finicky with respect to dirt or defects on discs, compared to DVD. Tolerances are extremely tight.

I rip a couple of BD a week. I don't remember the last time I've had a problem.

Louis
post #8143 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post

Thanks very much. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the player. Who is Mike? I got mine from Duneplayer.com. I emailed them an inquiry a few days ago, but so far no response.

Mike is the USA distributor. He will take care of your! Just give it some time! Also calling sometimes will get him on the phone!
post #8144 of 10916 Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ehh, James at Diamond Designs is way more personable. I bought my first Dune from Mike but he promised to email some docs an such and never did. So I bought my next two from Diamond Designs, they are so nice and stand behind their sales.

I guess there both good, but I would go with DD

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #8145 of 10916 Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Ehh, James at Diamond Designs is way more personable. I bought my first Dune from Mike but he promised to email some docs an such and never did. So I bought my next two from Diamond Designs, they are so nice and stand behind their sales.

I guess there both good, but I would go with DD

Yeap, thats where I bought mine too!

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8146 of 10916 Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM

While I'm sure all the authorized dealers are good, I agreed that Diamond Designs is very knowledgeable about the Dune's. That led me to buy a D1 from them even with residential state excise taxes added-in.
post #8147 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I tried a 16 GB Class 10 card and I could not get the Dune to initialize the system storage, even before partitioning it. I tried a .dsf file that was suppose to format it and it also did not work. I was able to initialize a 32 GB Class 6 card but it would lock up my Dune. If I run across a 16 GB Class 6 cheap I may try it. For now, the 6 GB NTFS partition is big enough. I have 321 Movies and 489 TV Show Episodes. Most are blu-ray iso's. Zappiti currently uses 865 MB out of the 6 GB NTFS partition on my SD card. yaDIS used 1.5 GB (see my posts on pg 268 about that).

Yes, all DUNE attached drives are viewable from Windows except for System Storage. With your drives (hard drive, ext hard drive, usb, SD) connected to the Dune and the Dune powered on, under Windows, open Computer or Windows Explorer. On the top line, type:

\\\\DUNE

You will see all of the attached drives including Hard drives, SD and/or USB. If you do not create the 'dune_folder.txt' on the root of each partition (except System Storage), you will have very long default share names. For example my internal hd default share name was "2TB_GPT_64K_7a389b73892723d". It is much easier to open notepad and add one line to the top:

storage_name = SD

Save the file as "dune_folder.txt" and copy it to the root of the SD card. I have the same file copied to my internal hard drive and it has

storage_name = HD

To connect to it from Windows, in Computer at the top line, type \\\\DUNE\\HD or map a network drive to this location and you now have read/write/delete access to this parition. If you have multiple external USB hard drives name each one HD1, HD2, etc. Zappiti and yaDIS will use this shorter share name also.

I just tried this on the internal HD with my H1, cant seem to get it to work. I navigated to the "Long name Share" opened it and posted the dune_folder.txt to it. Is that the correct place to put it? also when you put the storage_name = HD are there spaces either side of the = ?
thanks
post #8148 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

I just tried this on the internal HD with my H1, cant seem to get it to work. I navigated to the "Long name Share" opebed it and posted the dune_folder.txt to it. Is that the correct place to put it? also when you put the storage_name = HD are there spaces either side of the = ?
thanks

No spaces. You might need to reboot the Dune afterward.
post #8149 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Thanks will give it a go
post #8150 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

Thanks will give it a go

Mine did have a space before and after =. I tried it without the space and it works either way. You definately have to reboot after creating/editing dune_folder.txt.
post #8151 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

That worked.. I did have to restart the H1 amd once I removed the spaces everything worked fine. It did break my link in favorites but I was able to relink it to the favorites folder. Thanks Again
post #8152 of 10916 Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Mine did have a space before and after =. I tried it without the space and it works either way. You definately have to reboot after creating/editing dune_folder.txt.

ah ok... either way its working now. Thanks
post #8153 of 10916 Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM

So I had an issue the last few days with My Onkyo 3007 receiver decoding and identifying correctly a truehd audio track from my Oppo BD player and my New Dune H1 (MT2S Rip), it was from both the original Ghost Protocol BD and the rip i put on the internal drive on the H1.

After some advise from a friend I turned of secondary Audio on the Oppo Blue Ray player and the Onkyo played it flawlessly identifying it as TrueHD.

However, I cannot see where to take a similar action with the H1? is there a setting that would disable secondary audio? The unit plays everything else flawlessly and I love it but truehd doesnt pass properly to the onkyo.

I was also wondering about updating the firmware and if this would help, I have 110606-1315 (Update 1) and when I search the firmware it says no new firmware available but when i do "see all versions" I see two newer beta versions.... any suggestions or hints would be appreciated
post #8154 of 10916 Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
If you press the Audio button on the remote of the Dune, does it give you the option of selecting the TrueHD track? Also, in the settings, I believe there is an option under audio that says, "play best audio track" or something like that.

In terms of firmware, go ahead and update to the latest beta update, it works fine.

Alex
post #8155 of 10916 Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question about a new remote. I got a Dune Base 3.0 and my dog decided to piss in a box it was in. Where can I locate a new remote?
post #8156 of 10916 Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

If you press the Audio button on the remote of the Dune, does it give you the option of selecting the TrueHD track? Also, in the settings, I believe there is an option under audio that says, "play best audio track" or something like that.

In terms of firmware, go ahead and update to the latest beta update, it works fine.

I will try your suggestions.. however I did get it to work but only if I ripped the BD to a movie only folder as opposed to putting it in a M2TS package, I am not really sure what this means but will try your suggestions as well to see what happens.. thanks for the Post.
post #8157 of 10916 Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Oh missed your first question, no, it gives me two different Dolby Digital tracks options, one seems to be commentary track and the other is the one that failes. What is truly amazing is the mt2s rips play fine on the computer
post #8158 of 10916 Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It's May now and dune is very quite about any new hardware.I wonder if we will see anything new from them this year.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #8159 of 10916 Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Hello all!

I have 2x 3TB Western Digital My Book Essential external HD's with all my media on them (TV shows/Movies) and I'm wondering if they will work with the Dune Smart H1?
post #8160 of 10916 Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraat View Post

Hello all!

I have 2x 3TB Western Digital My Book Essential external HD's with all my media on them (TV shows/Movies) and I'm wondering if they will work with the Dune Smart H1?

Sure will.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page