I took delivery of my Dune Smart B1. Smaller and deeper than I was anticipating
Some initial impressions:
- Great build quality, the metal casing is quite nice compared to the all plastic popcornhour A-200 I had previously.
- UI is easy to navigate, and I love the remote, it makes navigating easy since it's well integrated with the UI
- Wow, upgrading/downgrading firmwares is super easy, all done through the UI, even shows beta firmwares, never had an appliance that was this easy to downgrade, or install betas
- Connectivity via DLNA to my computer was spotty. Streamed MTS files fine, but failed at .MOV's and MP4's.
- Installing a System Software drive was a bit strange, maybe my cheapie 8GB drive wasn't playing nice, took forever to attempt to set it up, and eventually failed.
- Setting up a HDD on it was a bit odd. After formatting, you need to reboot before you can use the drive, and then once you enable system software on it, it partitions it, and then again you need to format it (partition 2/2 to get it working again, and don't forget to reboot again)
- I had some initial problems with FTPing into the dune, but I think that was due to the HDD not being formatted correctly, and not realizing that I needed to go into that drives folder (it was permissions problems, as I was trying to write to the root folder).
Btw, in response to my questions I had in the previous post:
1) Streaming MP4, and MOV's was bad via DLNA, maybe it was my windows 7 causing isues though, MTS was ok, however when run locally, they they ran perfect, though some really old WMV's that I had encoded didn't play video, only audio.
2) Removing BD Drive and replacing it with an internal SATA drive... The BD Drive is easy to remove with a narrow screw driver, pop off the lid and front panel, and there are 4 screws that hold the drive in place. Putting in an internal drive however was a bit of a hassle (as you'd expect given I didn't have any mounting hardware that comes with the H1/D1). I had plans to just use the bottom plate of another 5.25" disk drive as a mounting plate, however, I quickly realized that the B1 is actually narrower than 5.25", so the plate didn't fit. But with some creative cutting, I made a suitable plate with risers that could be screwed in, and had clearance to not touch anything. I then hot glued in a tooless HDD bracket from an old dell desktop case. The next problem was the power connector for the BD drive was not standard, so I had to hack/solder a real SATA power plug, with the dune power connector on the other end. Once that was all done, the Dune recognised it, and powered everything fine! I'm quite happy, I threw in a WD Green 2TB, and it is playing local content very well!
3) Haven't hit one of those files yet, we'll see I guess.
Anyways, So far I'm happy with the performance, stability, and interface on the Dune.