post #10891 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus View Post
Hi ScottJ, I always have the forced subtitles box checked when I run Clown. Is there another setting or do I need to select the actual subtitle from the list and check something else?

Thanks!
That doesn't sound right. That checkbox has three positions: clear, grey box, and checked. Usually I leave it on grey box and it picks up subs flagged as forced. But for discs that have a separate track for the forced subs, that box needs a check mark, not grey box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
That doesn't sound right. That checkbox has three positions: clear, grey box, and checked. Usually I leave it on grey box and it picks up subs flagged as forced. But for discs that have a separate track for the forced subs, that box needs a check mark, not grey box.
Thanks man! You are right, it has a mark in it making it grey box, didn't realize it had 3 states. I'll put a check and will try it again. In general, how do you determine the titles that behave like this? Do you run something to review the disc before running Clown? Appreciate the guidance.
post #10893 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus View Post
Thanks man! You are right, it has a mark in it making it grey box, didn't realize it had 3 states. I'll put a check and will try it again. In general, how do you determine the titles that behave like this? Do you run something to review the disc before running Clown? Appreciate the guidance.
My ripping flow is complicated due to these kind of forced subs issues. I have Clown generate a batch file, then I run only the demux step. I manually look through all English subs using BDSup2Sub looking for two things: (1) anything forced, and (2) ensure subs are inside the picture area. Then if I find any forced, I manually edit the meta file that ClownBD put in the demux directory. Only after I do all that, I continue the batch file with the remux step.

I have scripted much of this so it's not that much manual labor.

This is the only way I've found that's 100% reliable, and even then I mess it up sometimes when I fail to recognize a track that should be forced.
post #10894 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
My ripping flow is complicated due to these kind of forced subs issues. I have Clown generate a batch file, then I run only the demux step. I manually look through all English subs using BDSup2Sub looking for two things: (1) anything forced, and (2) ensure subs are inside the picture area. Then if I find any forced, I manually edit the meta file that ClownBD put in the demux directory. Only after I do all that, I continue the batch file with the remux step.

I have scripted much of this so it's not that much manual labor.

This is the only way I've found that's 100% reliable, and even then I mess it up sometimes when I fail to recognize a track that should be forced.
Mine is kinda similar in that I use ClownBD just to demux and than use MKVMerge to create an mkv. Before I throw into an mkv I inspect the subtitle files if none are marked forced, usually going by the filesize to determine would could most likely be a forced track

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #10895 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM

I've been relying on Clown pretty much out of the box and it has been successful but it appears my workflow needs to evolve to match what you guys are doing. I haven't played around with the underlying utilities much but looks like it's time. I read on some of the other forums that Clown isn't being supported anymore so what we have today is likely it.
post #10896 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Mine it's easier. I use MakeMKV. If the movie has a forced track, I used MergeMKV and flag it accordingly.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #10897 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Mine it's easier. I use MakeMKV. If the movie has a forced track, I used MergeMKV and flag it accordingly.
The hard part is figuring out if a movie has a forced track. For many/most movies, it's easy, and both Clown and MakeMKV can find it automatically.

For others, not. And the danger is you don't realize it until you sit down with your friends to watch the movie, they start speaking some foreign language, and you're scratching your head wondering if there's supposed to be subtitles.
post #10898 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The hard part is figuring out if a movie has a forced track. For many/most movies, it's easy, and both Clown and MakeMKV can find it automatically.

For others, not. And the danger is you don't realize it until you sit down with your friends to watch the movie, they start speaking some foreign language, and you're scratching your head wondering if there's supposed to be subtitles.
True. However, I always add the English and Spanish tracks. So I check the size of the file, and it tested on my PC. If it is forced I flag it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10899 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
and it tested on my PC
What does this mean? You play the original disc on a software player, and look for forced subs? Is it always easy to tell?

(For some discs, my Oppo will show no subs are turned on, but the forced subs still show up. But, that only applies when the subs are flagged and so ClownBD would have easily found them.)
post #10900 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What does this mean? You play the original disc on a software player, and look for forced subs? Is it always easy to tell?

(For some discs, my Oppo will show no subs are turned on, but the forced subs still show up. But, that only applies when the subs are flagged and so ClownBD would have easily found them.)
I test the ripped file and the subtitle tracks.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10901 of 10917 Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:

For others, not.
Wolverine was the first movie I've come across that had this separate track issue.

Quote:
And the danger is you don't realize it until you sit down with your friends to watch the movie, they start speaking some foreign language, and you're scratching your head wondering if there's supposed to be subtitles.
...and that's exactly what happened to me! I had to update the default tsmuxer version to even get it to grab the separate track that includes the forced subs but now I'm on my way.
post #10902 of 10917 Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

The forced subs are usually not the issue as you've pointed out. The issue is when the english subtitles for non-english speaking parts are in a separate track. However, this too is easy to find using a blu-ray software player - for example, a movie like the Godfather will show that the separate subtitle track is turned on by default so you know to include that track and flag it as forced.
post #10903 of 10917 Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting problem. Just upgraded My Movies to 5.0. The upgrade went fine and after restoring the database, checked the paths and everything seemed to work fine. From the iPad, my Dune H1 finds the movie and starting playing - one frame at a time. Same if I run from the My Movies on the Dune. If I play the movie directly from the source drive on the Dune, it plays properly. Thought I would see if anyone has an idea before I contact My Movies forum.
post #10904 of 10917 Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 View Post
Interesting problem. Just upgraded My Movies to 5.0. The upgrade went fine and after restoring the database, checked the paths and everything seemed to work fine. From the iPad, my Dune H1 finds the movie and starting playing - one frame at a time. Same if I run from the My Movies on the Dune. If I play the movie directly from the source drive on the Dune, it plays properly. Thought I would see if anyone has an idea before I contact My Movies forum.
Is the movie on a drive that's directly attached to the Dune? If so, it sounds like a path configuration problem, using SMB where it should use direct-attach.

This is the first common problem listed on my Path Configuration help page.
post #10905 of 10917 Old 06-29-2014, 08:16 AM

And I knew that - but with MM5, it now requires that each attached drive be configured individually, which I finally found. In MM4, I believe there was one check box for all attached drives? Getting old, CRS
post #10906 of 10917 Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 PM

My Movies Adding Series

I've used MM just for movies, but recently added a tv series to the HDD. Is there anything special I need to be aware of? Right now the series is one folder series name. And in side the main folder are 5 folders, each one holding a series. Do I just add it as if I were adding a movie? But select tv series all the way over to the right?
post #10907 of 10917 Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
In the hundreds of movies I own, there is only a small handfull that require full menu support. For the rest I am ripping the main file and audio files I want to MKV. The one I'm mostly interested in is my calibration disc (Digital Video Essentials, HD Basics). Need full menu control to select various test patterns to calibrate the display the D1 is connected to.
Do I need to rip to a different format for full menu support?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #10908 of 10917 Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post
I've used MM just for movies, but recently added a tv series to the HDD. Is there anything special I need to be aware of? Right now the series is one folder series name. And in side the main folder are 5 folders, each one holding a series. Do I just add it as if I were adding a movie? But select tv series all the way over to the right?
yes, that's all you need to do. You can also use folder monitoring for TV series (you need to monitor your main folder)for your next additions, it's very usefull...
post #10909 of 10917 Old 06-30-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
In the hundreds of movies I own, there is only a small handfull that require full menu support. For the rest I am ripping the main file and audio files I want to MKV. The one I'm mostly interested in is my calibration disc (Digital Video Essentials, HD Basics). Need full menu control to select various test patterns to calibrate the display the D1 is connected to.
Do I need to rip to a different format for full menu support?
you need to rip as bdvm folders or ISO to have the menus.
post #10910 of 10917 Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
you need to rip as bdvm folders or ISO to have the menus.
I actually only have 1 BD that will require full menu. The rest (5 or 6) are DVD so I'm looking for something cheap as 1 BD doesn't really justify spending alot of money. Found many software providers with free DVD stuff. A quick search has not provided any el-cheap-o
BD stuff.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #10911 of 10917 Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Dvdfab demo version was able to do full rips (that's all you were allowed to do with the demo). I say was because it seems to be difficult to find it now if you live in the US...
post #10912 of 10917 Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is there any work around or 'hack' to perform on the smart series (or HD Max/DUO) boxes that will allow the playback of 3d files?

I currently rip all of my 2d stuff to .ISO and was planning on just using 3d via blu-ray player but of course now that I have 3d glasses and am used to using my Dunes the last thing I want to do is fire up the BD player.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #10913 of 10917 Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Is there any work around or 'hack' to perform on the smart series (or HD Max/DUO) boxes that will allow the playback of 3d files?
You'd have to rip them as TnB or SbS (half-resolution) files.
post #10914 of 10917 Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

What does that do to the resolution.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #10915 of 10917 Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You'd have to rip them as TnB or SbS (half-resolution) files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
What does that do to the resolution.
Really?
post #10916 of 10917 Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol... sorry... multi=tasking. I'll study up on the info you gave me. Thanks much!

post #10917 of 10917 Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I didn't find an official Dune Smart series thread.

Lately my wife has been on me to have the ability to playback all our home videos. We have a lot, they're either MP4 (Sanyo Xacti), MTS (Canon M400), and MOV (iphone).

Over the years, I've tried several different streamers, I've had a PCH for many years, I found that to be quite buggy, and the networking to be very finicky to my DLNA stuff on my Win 7 Home Prem box. I've also tried DLNA from my Panasonic Smart TV, and DLNA from my Sony BD player, those seems to have compromises, either in codec support, or performance (stuttering) even running over gigabit ethernet.

Anyways, I was looking into getting a WD TV, when I started hearing about the Dune Smart Series, though I don't really rip BD's, from what I gather it's one of the more well put together (and stable) media streamers for local content.

I purchased a used Smart B1 off ebay recently, it's yet to arrive. I would have prefered a H1 or D1, but the price was reasonable compared to the D1's that are currently available. I already have a BD player, and since the Dune's BD player is nothing special (and not updated anymore), I don't think I'll ever use it.

I have a few questions:
  1. 1) For my use cases (not using MKV's or ISO's, just .MOV, MTS, MOV) is the B1 going to be a reasonable choice for streaming over ethernet? I realy need some WAF, since the PCH and other options I've tried failed miserably lol
  2. 2) Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the BD Drive out of the Dune, and just install an SATA HDD into it, making it effectively a H1 without the hot swapping. Obviously I'd have to get the drive in there and not shifting around and shorting anything out. But in theory, the firmware should support it right?
  3. 3) For some of my iphone videos we taped them upside down... Does the Dune have the ability to rotate video, or can it detect it and correct it automatically (some players can, maybe from metadata). I want to avoid transcoding if at all possible.

Right now, I'm not 100% sure if the Dune SMART B1 was a good choice given my usecase, since it's not really supported anymore. Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by joesiv; 07-18-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page