New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 370 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I am looking for a media player to play my collection of blu-ray movies in my home theater. I think I've narrowed it down to the Dune Smart D1, Mede8er, and KDLINKS 720.

How comparable are these units?

From my understanding the Dune is the only one that will play full menus, right? Is that for all 2D titles, or just some? I know it won't do menus for 3D, but does it play 3D okay? I'd like 3D, but it's not too important to me since there aren't as many titles, and I can just use the disc if I need to.

I think the cost is my biggest hold up with the Dune.

Well I have a Dune smart b1, and a mede8er 3d 60. As for the Dune you're incorrect it will do full menus for a 3d iso, but will not play 3d. I just tried one and got a pop-up saying my player, the dune, will not support 3d, but then the discs menu followed and I could play the movie /choose a scene etc.

The Medi8er 3d series will pass through 3d but, you're right, no menu support. I really like both. Have the medi8er in the living room with 3d capable Sony TV but I've really not even tried 3d and had the TV since Dec. I've enjoyed setting up YAMJ on the Mede8er.
The Dune I've had for a few years now and I almost bought another smart series to have when this one dies, but too expensive and the mede8er has kinda convinced me that I could live without menus if I had to. Like you suggested, I could just buy a blueray player
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am looking for a media player to play my collection of blu-ray movies in my home theater. I think I've narrowed it down to the Dune Smart D1, Mede8er, and KDLINKS 720.

How comparable are these units?

From my understanding the Dune is the only one that will play full menus, right? Is that for all 2D titles, or just some? I know it won't do menus for 3D, but does it play 3D okay? I'd like 3D, but it's not too important to me since there aren't as many titles, and I can just use the disc if I need to.

I think the cost is my biggest hold up with the Dune.

The mede8er seems pretty good, but only does the BD-lite menu, correct?

The same with KDLINKS? It's lower price does appeal to me.

I'm not concerned about android support and all of that, and not worried about streaming over a wireless connection. This would strictly be for watching blu-ray content from a connected hard drive.
I own a kdlinks 720. It's a fine machine but the interface is ugly as hell. You tube it. I had bad audio pops with mine. The medi8er is pretty much the same as kdlinks but users have created much nicer custom skins. The user support is much better with the Media8er. The Dune D1 is the only player AFAIK that will play Full BD ISO menu since it reads java. This is why it is so expensive. I am considering one myself, to replace my WDTV live smp. Since players produced now do know support JAVA, I wonder how the DUne is still able to make these units. Are they still making them?, Are they supporting them? Are they releasing firmware? DO they just have a pile left and when they sell those is it gone forever? No one seems to know these answers. Not sure about the 3d. Never got into that.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me if you use the Dune D1 with Mymovies setup? Are there any bugs/glitches? Does it work smoothly all the time?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Are they still making them?, Are they supporting them? Are they releasing firmware? DO they just have a pile left and when they sell those is it gone forever? No one seems to know these answers.
blackssr answered this in another thread I forgot to subscribe to
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post
Well I have a Dune smart b1, and a mede8er 3d 60. As for the Dune you're incorrect it will do full menus for a 3d iso, but will not play 3d. I just tried one and got a pop-up saying my player, the dune, will not support 3d, but then the discs menu followed and I could play the movie /choose a scene etc.

The Medi8er 3d series will pass through 3d but, you're right, no menu support. I really like both. Have the medi8er in the living room with 3d capable Sony TV but I've really not even tried 3d and had the TV since Dec. I've enjoyed setting up YAMJ on the Mede8er.
The Dune I've had for a few years now and I almost bought another smart series to have when this one dies, but too expensive and the mede8er has kinda convinced me that I could live without menus if I had to. Like you suggested, I could just buy a blueray player
Dave
Ah okay, so it just doesn't support 3D at all then? It plays them as if it was a 2D blu-ray player? I guess that makes sense. I buy the 3D version of any movie I get (if available), but most of the time I just watch the 2D anyways. I think I can manage to get up and put a disc in in those rare instances. It's not like I'm not going to have to do that anyway with movies I rent.

I do like the idea of full menus, but I guess I have to figure out how important that is to me and if the price is worth it.

How would you rate the interfaces?

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Ah okay, so it just doesn't support 3D at all then? It plays them as if it was a 2D blu-ray player?
The mede8er is newer and easier to work with in that it immediately recognizes a shared folder. On the Dune you have to use the remote to enter in the path to any new network folder. Also, I had trouble setting up Zappiti on the Dune and just quit using it. But I was able to get YAMJ running on the mede8er. Still love the Dune though it seems to load up and navigate more quickly for one thing, and the menu support I really like as well.
Dave
Old 02-22-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
The mede8er is newer and easier to work with in that it immediately recognizes a shared folder. On the Dune you have to use the remote to enter in the path to any new network folder. Also, I had trouble setting up Zappiti on the Dune and just quit using it. But I was able to get YAMJ running on the mede8er. Still love the Dune though it seems to load up and navigate more quickly for one thing, and the menu support I really like as well.
Dave
Dune is able to browse your network and create links to any shares. Entering the pathway manually is not required. I had zero issues setting up Zappiti and it works great with the Dune.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Dune is able to browse your network

You know it used to work for me but one fw update a few years ago broke my "network browser" and was unable to get it working again. When I click on the browser/network places/mycomputername which is where I used to see my shared folders, now it is blank
except for the notation (empty). I asked at the time here and one senior member here told me the network browser wouldn't work for him either. rdgrimes, do you or anyone have any thoughts on what caused my browser to stop working and how I could fix it?

Oh and I did get Zappiti working I just found it more difficult to work with than the jukebox on my mede8er. The mede8er comes with a pretty thorough guide to help with the set up. I still like my Dune best of all though
Dave
Old 02-22-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The network browser in my H1 works fine and always has. I'm not on the latest firmware but not more than 1 or 2 revisions behind. Its showing all content in SMB shares.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The network browser in my H1 works fine and always has. I'm not on the latest firmware but not more than 1 or 2 revisions behind. Its showing all content in SMB shares.

Well, I figured that it worked for you I'll take a look at it again I have about nine different hard drives attached not sure what went wrong. I'll ask the guy I spoke with back then if he ever got it working again.

edited to add:
I just did a search and found some recent discussion on this problem. I think I can fix this I'm watching a movie right now but will try the fix after

Last edited by dbrons; 02-22-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM

I found a discussion on another forum that said the issue of the netwok browser being empty was because "By default the Dune will be on a workgroup called 'Dune', but by default all Windows machines are on a workgroup called 'Workgroup'
From your Dune go to 'Setup > Applications > SMB server' and change the workgroup name and it should all work -"

I'm still not getting it to work, could anyone who's network browser is working let me know what you have in 'Setup > Applications > SMB server' in the workgroup field, and also in the server field. Thanks
Dave
Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Ah okay, so it just doesn't support 3D at all then? It plays them as if it was a 2D blu-ray player? I guess that makes sense. I buy the 3D version of any movie I get (if available), but most of the time I just watch the 2D anyways. I think I can manage to get up and put a disc in in those rare instances. It's not like I'm not going to have to do that anyway with movies I rent.

I do like the idea of full menus, but I guess I have to figure out how important that is to me and if the price is worth it.

I have a Dune D1 and have has zero playback issues, except maybe a few wmv files. With ISO , mkv and m2ts no issues and full menu support. As for 3D, it wont play a full 3d iso but it will play SBS(side by side), so you could convert your 3d bd to that format and youll be able to watch. Or just get the dune 3D models, they dont have menu support though. You just need to figure out whats more important to you. On my D1, I use yaDis as my indexer, very pleased with the look of "glass 2.0".

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I found a discussion on another forum that said the issue of the netwok browser being empty was because "By default the Dune will be on a workgroup called 'Dune', but by default all Windows machines are on a workgroup called 'Workgroup'
From your Dune go to 'Setup > Applications > SMB server' and change the workgroup name and it should all work -"

I'm still not getting it to work, could anyone who's network browser is working let me know what you have in 'Setup > Applications > SMB server' in the workgroup field, and also in the server field. Thanks
Dave
It might be related to the OS on your PC. My dune players have no trouble accessing my WHS via the network browser but they can't access my Win 7 PC unless I uninstall Windows Live Sign-In Assistant. As for my Win 8 PC, I cannot access it at all using the network browser.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM

thanks EVT you're probably right. I do have Win 8.1 and maybe it was going to Windows 8 that broke the network browser. Oh well, not too big a deal just have to enter each folder manually.
Dave
Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Just got the Dune B1. It will see my pc in SMB, but when I click on it it shows me nothing. I really don't want to have to map each one of my drives. I do not have windows live sign in installed.

Dune workgroup is: workgroup. Running latest firmware.

UPDATE: was able to get it by manually mapping a shared folder. That sucks. Anyway to get it to recognize all shares through the SMB browser?

Last edited by johnBlanker; 02-26-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
UPDATE: was able to get it by manually mapping a shared folder. That sucks. Anyway to get it to recognize all shares through the SMB browser?
This is a common problem with the Dunes and there is no consensus solution.

Fortunately, it's a non-issue if you use jukebox software like MyMovies since in that case the only place you need to browse on the Dune is the index created by MyMovies. It will create links to all the other shares as necessary; there's no need to browse to those other shares individually.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
This is a common problem with the Dunes and there is no consensus solution.

Fortunately, it's a non-issue if you use jukebox software like MyMovies since in that case the only place you need to browse on the Dune is the index created by MyMovies. It will create links to all the other shares as necessary; there's no need to browse to those other shares individually.
Ok. I guess if I have to input each of my shares, I can set it up so I only have to do it once. I do have the MM jukebox working. (well, it's failing to play my titles, but I'm working on this). Only prob is that each of my shares are categorical, Blu ray, dvd, new movies, work-out. There is no way to select these when in the MM jukebox.

I also thought that when browsing these smb shares it would show the cover art from the "folder.jpg" image in each folder. It does not. Any way to display a nice video wall cover flow without using a jukebox?
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I also thought that when browsing these smb shares it would show the cover art from the "folder.jpg" image in each folder. It does not. Any way to display a nice video wall cover flow without using a jukebox?
Thanks for your help.
It's been 5 years since I set up my Dune so I really don't remember all the different possibilities for cover art. One choice is to create those categories in MyMovies and assign them to movies as needed. Then you don't need to segregate your movies in the filesystem. I put all my movies into /movies1, /movies2, /movies3, growing as needed, with no rhyme or reason to it except disk space.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok. I guess if I have to input each of my shares, I can set it up so I only have to do it once. I do have the MM jukebox working. (well, it's failing to play my titles, but I'm working on this). Only prob is that each of my shares are categorical, Blu ray, dvd, new movies, work-out. There is no way to select these when in the MM jukebox.
This might help with your problem: http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/Path_Configuration
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The bare-bones Dune UI is not super-configurable. But Zappiti (I am not familiar with MM) allows you to create custom categories with Icons that you can put movies in (such as I created Criterion, 3D, 7.1 audio, and Cinemascope categories).
You need to use the Zapp app on a windows machine to scan & identify the films and then it creates the Dune Index with the custom JPGS and metadata. I use UDP NFS to stream my BluRay's and it seems to work fine with the Dune HD 3D , sometimes I get dropouts with the older Dune models.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks SJ. I'll have a look. The Dune box has a picture on it that displays a cover wall. I just thought that it could do this without a jukebox installed. I hear you about the movie organization. I just have two other streamers that depend on my current setup.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You can show a folder.jpg when opening a folder on your dune by creating a dune_folder.txt in each folder with a special command inside. In fact this is how people were doing it before jukeboxes like zappiti, yadis or MM started to do it in an automated way. It's long, very limited and completely ugly, but yes, you can do it without a jukebox...manually

Last edited by Mr Eric; 02-26-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
This might help with your problem: http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/Path_Configuration
Thanks, that definitely helped me.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
You can show a folder.jpg when opening a folder on your dune by creating a dune_folder.txt in each folder with a special command inside. In fact this is how people were doing it before jukeboxes like zappiti, yadis or MM started to do it in an automated way. It's long, very limited and completely ugly, but yes, you can do it without a jukebox...manually
Yes, I saw that. I wonder if anyone has any "completed" scripts that I can just copy and paste. I need to play around with the system more though b4 I get into any of that.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Thanks SJ. I'll have a look. The Dune box has a picture on it that displays a cover wall. I just thought that it could do this without a jukebox installed. I hear you about the movie organization. I just have two other streamers that depend on my current setup.
You can run Zappiti just for the Dune. It will not effect the other players. Once the location of media folders is identified by Zappiti it will scrape and create required info for Dune to display. Zappiti is very easy to set up
Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Dune smart B1 impressions:
I really have that "late to the party" sensation going on here. Anyway, I was really pleased when I finally got to watch movies on this thing, after futzing around with it for a bunch of hours. It played my full menu rip of "Oz the great and powerful" perfectly. It's a seamless branched movie and the files played back without a hitch. It normally causes a slight pause/stutter in my other players when changing m2ts files. Also, RW/FF works great! When you resume it resumes right where it should. These are welcome improvements over my current streamers.

I was disappointed that without a jukbox, the unit doesn't natively display thumb art from a jpeg inside the folder. The online/manual documentation is garbage. Luckily, This unit has been around for years so there is plenty to research. I have been busy.

I don't understand why they cannot fix the SMB browse functionality. It's ok. Instead of sharing multiple folders, I can just put them into one shared root folder.

The memory storage for this unit is indeed confusing. I couldn't DL the firmware update because it said I had no system storage. So I popped in an SD card. Then I updated the firmware. Then I couldn't DL any dune skins or add favorites. I plugged a usb in the back thinking I could use this for storage but no, it's read-only. Then I took the sd card out and now I can download skins and add favorites. I don't know where it is storing these things since I removed the system storage. What is even more strange is that in the setting menu it says that system storage is attached. ?

Apparently there is a usb port inside the B1, but I would have to remove the optical drive to get to it. I assume this could be used for system storage. I'm confused. Back to do more research.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Format the SD card or USB drive into two partitions. One partition you can use as system storage and the other partition you can then use as normal to store files.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You can run Zappiti just for the Dune. It will not effect the other players. Once the location of media folders is identified by Zappiti it will scrape and create required info for Dune to display. Zappiti is very easy to set up
I have MM and 10muse installed. Will add Zappiti and test them all out. I am all for the least futzing method. After adding a movie, I can set 10muse to scan the library for only new item, leaving the ones it already scanned alone. Incremental scanning. This helps speed up the process. With MM, it scans the entire DB. It's quite cumbersome with 600 movies. I only have 5TB of space to work with so I'm always adding and deleting.
Good stuff.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I need to test out the new Zappiti MC4 (only works for the Zappiti 4K player but I think it will come over to the Dune 3D series as well). In the middle of a move now so just started plugging back in all my electronics these past few days.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Format the SD card or USB drive into two partitions. One partition you can use as system storage and the other partition you can then use as normal to store files.
I am trying to think of a scenario where I would want to store files on the Dune. What are your opinions on using the internal usb? My warranty is 6 months on this refurb. I think removing the case voids this.

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com