New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 373 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11161 of 11176 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I was under the impression that patch was for MKVs. I am hoping that I will be fine with my ISO rips.

SO we are all in consensus that version 6 is the best and I won't be losing anything by downgrading? Which version of 6?
Yes the patch is only for MKVs. I thought you were referring to my patch when you said "I was reading about the improved forced subtitle fix in version 8."

ISOs never need a patch for forced subs, provided you use the full Blu-ray player and not BD-Lite.

I'm not at home so can't look up my exact firmware version but I believe I'm running the version immediately prior to 131224_0132_b8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 11176 Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ok, thanks. I downgraded and now it goes back to the backdrop when I hit stop.
post #11163 of 11176 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

wow. I am really impressed with this dune player. It has by far exceeded my expectations. It always connects to the mapped network share. Played a bunch of movies and they all play perfectly. Pause, RW, FF, all works great. Movies with multiple m2ts file all play without stutters/pauses. Set it to start at the yaDIS screen. WOW.
1. I assume if I get another player it won't be a problem with it connecting to the yaDIS index? I assume you can have multiple Dunes all connection to the same index?
2. Anyone know how to change the backdrop for yaDIS? I changed the first (root) level backdrop image in the index file but it always gets overwritten. It also changes just the first main screen in yaDIS. Changing the backdrop further on in the folders yields unwanted results as the menu items are difficult to read.

Thanks guys.
post #11164 of 11176 Old Today, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
1. as long as your files and export folder are all on a network drive, you can use as many dunes as you want with one yadis. Problems only happen when one of your dune has an internal HDD.
2. where did you change the main backdrop ? it needs to be done in the template folder (not the export folder). You can perfectly have a different backdrop per menu/sub-menu if you want, but you need to modify the template.xml (quite easy to do).
post #11165 of 11176 Old Today, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
wow. I am really impressed with this dune player. It has by far exceeded my expectations. It always connects to the mapped network share. Played a bunch of movies and they all play perfectly. Pause, RW, FF, all works great. Movies with multiple m2ts file all play without stutters/pauses. Set it to start at the yaDIS screen. WOW.
You are welcome. I hate being right all the time. Are you ready to give your WDs to someone you don't like yet?
post #11166 of 11176 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1. I assume if I get another player it won't be a problem with it connecting to the yaDIS index? I assume you can have multiple Dunes all connection to the same index?

I have 6 Dunes pulling from same server and index with Zappeti. I would guess yaDIS would support this also. Addictive isn't it? Especially when it works so well. I told you they were the gold standard. We should be so lucky to have a true successor with 4K support.
post #11167 of 11176 Old Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I downgraded and now it goes back to the backdrop when I hit stop.
I have not upgraded my firmware in years. I am a firm believer if it works leave it alone. New firmware may fix some issues but always seem to create new issues. I never had any real issues that needed corrections so I left things alone.
post #11168 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You are welcome. I hate being right all the time. Are you ready to give your WDs to someone you don't like yet?
hahaha. Thanks. I didn't think that I would want to replace all my devices in my house but now........
post #11169 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have 6 Dunes pulling from same server and index with Zappeti. I would guess yaDIS would support this also. Addictive isn't it? Especially when it works so well. I told you they were the gold standard. We should be so lucky to have a true successor with 4K support.
Yes, addictive indeed. Forget HTPC or any other media player. I'm an instant Dune fanboy now.

Like 3D, I'm not sure I will ever get into 4K. I was looking at one at my local BJs and yeah it looks great right up on the screen, but move back about 10 feet, and the glory seems to fade away. I would be interested in 4K for gaming and computer screens but that's about it. We'll see
post #11170 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, addictive indeed. Forget HTPC or any other media player. I'm an instant Dune fanboy now.

Like 3D, I'm not sure I will ever get into 4K. I was looking at one at my local BJs and yeah it looks great right up on the screen, but move back about 10 feet, and the glory seems to fade away. I would be interested in 4K for gaming and computer screens but that's about it. We'll see
The larger the screen the more 4K gets appealing. I think a 4K 55" is a waste of time. I have an 80" but to me that it pushing the limit of 1080P. I look forward to 100-120" panel with 4K. It will happen soon enough and will become affordable to many.
post #11171 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:

I was the same way. Dune all the way. Now, I've got a new HTPC, and my wife and kids love it. HTPC have come a long way. Now, they don't require maintenance at all. Furthermore, with Kodi, I can watch pretty much anything I want from HBO, fights, games, etc.

However, I do agree that Dune Smart series are the best 2D media players.
post #11172 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

GusGus, where ya been? I hear you. Didn't mean to generalize the HTPC fans out there. Evidently, by popularity on this forum, people love them.
post #11173 of 11176 Unread Today, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Heh - I hate being right all the time too!
*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
blackssr likes this.
post #11174 of 11176 Unread Today, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I am in the IT business and never recommend an HTPC to any of my clients. I would make even more money doing so but do not want to deal with the hassle. I recommend Tivos and multiple Dune players with a Windows Server to feed the Dunes. This is a proven method for anyone serious about high quality movie playback equal to disc playback without the disc. Most people who are movie diehards, those who invest the coin required to do this correctly have no interest in anything but the best in playback and ease of use. The Dune series with Zappiti or My Movies provide just that. I have found most wives and kids are not that discriminatory when it comes to playback quality. If it plays at all, they are happy and if kids divert their attention away from their iPhone long enough to even watch a movie it is an accomplishment. I try to stay away from these customers and stick more with Professionals who have the coin, do not want to deal with any issues and enjoy the flawless playback that the Dunes provide when set up correctly over LAN. I an eager to get my hands on a real 4K player to replace the Dunes. If one doesn't materialize by the time 4K Blu rays hit the street, then I will no longer get involved with media players as a business. It is a very small percentage of my overall business anyway but will continue to tinker as a hobbyist only.
post #11175 of 11176 Unread Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
GusGus, where ya been? I hear you. Didn't mean to generalize the HTPC fans out there. Evidently, by popularity on this forum, people love them.
No problem. I used to hate HTPC, but I gave HTPC a try again, and so far it has been working excellent. I sold my Dune media players, and started using Kodi for everything. I also like using Pandora and YouTube for music so it works great!
post #11176 of 11176 Unread Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am in the IT business and never recommend an HTPC to any of my clients. I would make even more money doing so but do not want to deal with the hassle. I recommend Tivos and multiple Dune players with a Windows Server to feed the Dunes. This is a proven method for anyone serious about high quality movie playback equal to disc playback without the disc. Most people who are movie diehards, those who invest the coin required to do this correctly have no interest in anything but the best in playback and ease of use. The Dune series with Zappiti or My Movies provide just that. I have found most wives and kids are not that discriminatory when it comes to playback quality. If it plays at all, they are happy and if kids divert their attention away from their iPhone long enough to even watch a movie it is an accomplishment. I try to stay away from these customers and stick more with Professionals who have the coin, do not want to deal with any issues and enjoy the flawless playback that the Dunes provide when set up correctly over LAN. I an eager to get my hands on a real 4K player to replace the Dunes. If one doesn't materialize by the time 4K Blu rays hit the street, then I will no longer get involved with media players as a business. It is a very small percentage of my overall business anyway but will continue to tinker as a hobbyist only.
all of my family and friends like media players or HTPC with Kodi than Dunes due to being able to find pretty much anything they want to watch. Quality isn't very important to them as long as it is like DVDs quality. Most of them do not have a HT so sound isn't important either.

For me, PQ and sound quality are very important for movies. Kodi does an excellent job for both. Dune did an awesome job as well. Luckily my wife and kids are computer savvy and they don't have an issue with anything in my HT.

For my parents, they use a Roku 3 with Plex app and they can access all of my movies.

Most people in my area buy a FireTv and install Kodi for everything else. I found people usually do not like spending too much money on a media player if they don't have to.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page