New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 378 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11311 of 11316 Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 396
^^^
Use whatever firmware is already on it, till you find a reason not to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11316 Unread Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have had a Smart D1 set up and running quite well for a long time now, but am about to change my Nas from a Synology to a Windows 2012 Essentials server. I know there are ways and programs to assist with setting up NFS shares on Windows, but are SMB shares still buggy or not recommended for the Dune as (I believe) they once were? In other words, should I just plan now to have an NFS share set up again or is it likely something I can forgo?
post #11313 of 11316 Unread Today, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I have had a Smart D1 set up and running quite well for a long time now, but am about to change my Nas from a Synology to a Windows 2012 Essentials server. I know there are ways and programs to assist with setting up NFS shares on Windows, but are SMB shares still buggy or not recommended for the Dune as (I believe) they once were? In other words, should I just plan now to have an NFS share set up again or is it likely something I can forgo?
AFAIK the only problem with SMB is if you try to use two shares on a single server, and store your Zappiti/MyMovies index on one of them. When you try to play a movie from the other share, it gives an error.

If you don't use any index, or don't create two shares on one server, or put the index somewhere other than SMB, it should all work fine.

For details see SMB Share Limit.
post #11314 of 11316 Unread Today, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
JOOC why are you changing?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #11315 of 11316 Unread Today, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Quote:
AFAIK the only problem with SMB is if you try to use two shares on a single server, and store your Zappiti/MyMovies index on one of them. When you try to play a movie from the other share, it gives an error.

If you don't use any index, or don't create two shares on one server, or put the index somewhere other than SMB, it should all work fine.

For details see SMB Share Limit.
Ok cool. My index for zappiti is on the internal SD card so I should be good.
post #11316 of 11316 Unread Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

JOOC why are you changing?

I wanted my NAS to have a good bit more power than the Synology when transcoding is required, and also I began to get worried about bit rot for my irreplaceable family photos and videos so I wanted a file system like Microsoft's new ReFS that does automatic data integrity checks and repairs. I have online backups of course, bit if a file gets silently corrupted then the backup does as well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page