New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #11521 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks. I hope just flipping a switch on the dune works! I watched half of furious 7 last night with fast smb on and it was perfect. What does that option do anyway?

All the switches in my house are trendnet teg-s80g.

Thanks ssr, never thought to check ebay.

I can defenity try eliminating one switch. Will report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Thanks. I hope just flipping a switch on the dune works! I watched half of furious 7 last night with fast smb on and it was perfect. What does that option do anyway?

All the switches in my house are trendnet teg-s80g.

Thanks ssr, never thought to check ebay.

I can defenity try eliminating one switch. Will report back.
I was thinking, is this server you use, multipurpose? Maybe you have something else running in the background? Anti-Virus or a torrent client? Maybe that is what causes the "ticks" you experience. I always make the server single purpose, never running any processes that aren't required for server duties and no Anti Virus at all. These are dedicated headless servers that I set up Remote Desktop to manage from another workstation in the home.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #11523 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I was thinking, is this server you use, multipurpose?
The specs are below. Not multipurpose. It never goes online. I stripped it of all processes according to blackviper info. Almost everything is turned off. Windows search, print spooler, indexing, etc., The only thing running is Microsoft Security essentials, but I disabled the automatic scanning. I posted a question about servers needing antivirus and got mixed results. Some don't use it because it never goes online, other use it because they say viruses can travel through a network. So I compromised by removing malwarebytes pro (full-time scanning) and switching from Symantic to MSE.

EDIT: oh and Teamviewer is running on it. I never liked RDP much.

pc specs:
mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5
cpu: AMD Sempron 145 Single-Core 2.8 GHz (45watt)
ram: 4GB 1333MHz
Win 7 HDD: Crucial m4 ssd
switches: all trendnet TEG-S80g
post #11524 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Damian - did you ever do a write up on your experience of moving your movie database over to Windows Essentials 2012? I am in the process of setting up a new Essentials 2012 server, and would appreciate any advice that is available. I was an avid follower of your past posts both here and at mediaserver, and appreciated a lot of your step-by-step guidelines to implementing different technologies.

~ Mike
Unfortunately I never did a write up. For me, setup was pretty basic. I use DrivePool to handle the storage (basically RAID1 software which I know is not optimal given storage space but works great and have zero issues). There are some additional settings I set up, but really I am just streaming via smb from the server (I have a shared "Videos" folder where all my content is stored) to my various media player.

I would have liked to have dug into WS2012 more, but there is something wrong with my build and I just don't have the time to dig into further (I think it is hardware/driver issues as I set up WS2012 when it first came out and hardware/driver compatibility was a real issue). If I turn on my server but never log in I rarely run into an issue. If I actually log in to it at some point it will crash.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #11525 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The specs are below. Not multipurpose. It never goes online. I stripped it of all processes according to blackviper info. Almost everything is turned off. Windows search, print spooler, indexing, etc., The only thing running is Microsoft Security essentials, but I disabled the automatic scanning. I posted a question about servers needing antivirus and got mixed results. Some don't use it because it never goes online, other use it because they say viruses can travel through a network. So I compromised by removing malwarebytes pro (full-time scanning) and switching from Symantic to MSE.

EDIT: oh and Teamviewer is running on it. I never liked RDP much.

pc specs:
mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5
cpu: AMD Sempron 145 Single-Core 2.8 GHz (45watt)
ram: 4GB 1333MHz
Win 7 HDD: Crucial m4 ssd
switches: all trendnet TEG-S80g
You can try to set an exception with MSE to ignore shared video folders as well as whatever front end jukebox you have.

post #11526 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using yaDIS with my Dune. I thought about that but, it's the content in those shared folders that I care about the most! That's what I don't want infected. You know how paranoid I am.
post #11527 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm using yaDIS with my Dune. I thought about that but, it's the content in those shared folders that I care about the most! That's what I don't want infected. You know how paranoid I am.
I think you will be fine. If the workstations are protected and the server is not used for anything else or used by anyone.. there is no need to have AV on a video server in the home. It can only be slowed down by an AV program. You can map the shared drive to workstation and scan manually from there.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-06-2016 at 12:29 PM.
post #11528 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I think you will be fine. If the workstations are protected and the server is not used for anything else or used by anyone.. there is no need to have AV on a video server in the home. It can only be slowed down by an AV program. You can map the shared drive to workstation and scan manually from there.
That's true. I never thought about it like that. I have the same AV on the Desktop computer. Since that is the only thing that goes out to the internet, it would catch the virus there first. And if it missed it, then it would miss it on the server too. Does that make sense?
post #11529 of 11547 Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's true. I never thought about it like that. I have the same AV on the Desktop computer. Since that is the only thing that goes out to the internet, it would catch the virus there first. And if it missed it, then it would miss it on the server too. Does that make sense?
Now you are getting it.
johnBlanker likes this.

post #11530 of 11547 Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

finished watching the last half of Furious 7 last night. 1 hour and 20m and perfect playback. Terrible move but a nice tribute to Paul at the end.
post #11531 of 11547 Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
finished watching the last half of Furious 7 last night. 1 hour and 20m and perfect playback. Terrible move but a nice tribute to Paul at the end.
You know a movie is bad when the best thing you can say is that playback was good lol.
wagnerc and johnBlanker like this.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #11532 of 11547 Old 01-07-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
You know a movie is bad when the best thing you can say is that playback was good lol.
LOL! Let's just say I was looking at the movie rather than watching it.
post #11533 of 11547 Old 01-09-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just picked up a qnap ts251+. Is it possible to run MM on the nas and be able to watch from 2 different dunes? Has any one set up a qnap for this purpose? Any help would be great.
post #11534 of 11547 Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Not familiar with the qnap, but if it's a NAS then you'll need to run MM on a PC somewhere. Only your movie storage will be on the NAS. I use a program called always-sync that runs on the same PC as the MM software, in my case it's a Windows Home Server. MM is set to create the MM metadata on a share on the MM PC. I have AlwaysSync (maybe it's called Always-snyc-n-go) periodically sync the MM directory structure on all my Dunes. The dunes are faster when the metadata is stored locally on them. Syncing works flawlessly and replicates the most current metadata to the Dunes. It only changes what's different so it doesn't have to rewrite the whole thing, takes seconds typically. But I only have it sync once every couple of hours in the evenings IIRC. Set as often as you wish.

That said, recently I got an iPad mini and have found I like using it to browse my MM collection and launch the Dune playback of the movie. I get the functionality of a HTPC with more on the fly filtering and sorting on the iPad, without having to use a HTPC running MM. Dune obeys the remote command from the Dune perfectly. I just use it to launch, then use my normal remote for pause/play/stop, but the iPad app will allow remote control, too. I'm not a fan of using iPads for my theater control, but I I am liking using the MM app for this one purpose.
post #11535 of 11547 Old 01-10-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Not familiar with the qnap, but if it's a NAS then you'll need to run MM on a PC somewhere. Only your movie storage will be on the NAS. I use a program called always-sync that runs on the same PC as the MM software, in my case it's a Windows Home Server. MM is set to create the MM metadata on a share on the MM PC. I have AlwaysSync (maybe it's called Always-snyc-n-go) periodically sync the MM directory structure on all my Dunes. The dunes are faster when the metadata is stored locally on them. Syncing works flawlessly and replicates the most current metadata to the Dunes. It only changes what's different so it doesn't have to rewrite the whole thing, takes seconds typically. But I only have it sync once every couple of hours in the evenings IIRC. Set as often as you wish.

That said, recently I got an iPad mini and have found I like using it to browse my MM collection and launch the Dune playback of the movie. I get the functionality of a HTPC with more on the fly filtering and sorting on the iPad, without having to use a HTPC running MM. Dune obeys the remote command from the Dune perfectly. I just use it to launch, then use my normal remote for pause/play/stop, but the iPad app will allow remote control, too. I'm not a fan of using iPads for my theater control, but I I am liking using the MM app for this one purpose.
I have the NAS connected to the MacBook air. I have to run a VM to be able to store the metadata for dune. My plan is to write the database to the nas and when I hook up the dune over wifi I'm wanting to be able to play which ever movie through mm. There will be no drives hooked to the dune. This is all new to me with the nas that it.
post #11536 of 11547 Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry, I'm no help if there's only a Mac and a NAS in the mix. No idea how MyMovies runs on a Mac.
post #11537 of 11547 Old 01-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm no help if there's only a Mac and a NAS in the mix. No idea how MyMovies runs on a Mac.
Just think of the Mac as a win 7 machine. I run it in a virtual machine because mm for Mac does not write to dune.
post #11538 of 11547 Old 01-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Just think of the Mac as a win 7 machine. I run it in a virtual machine because mm for Mac does not write to dune.
post #11539 of 11547 Old 01-10-2016, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That shouldn't be a problem at all. The only problem you might have is the double smb access bug from the dune (unless you NAS is made of only one shared). To avoid that the best thing will be to set up the shortcut to your MM index in NFS instead of SMB.
post #11540 of 11547 Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
That shouldn't be a problem at all. The only problem you might have is the double smb access bug from the dune (unless you NAS is made of only one shared). To avoid that the best thing will be to set up the shortcut to your MM index in NFS instead of SMB.
Is this where I would setup a network folder? I would also need to put the dune text folder in also?
post #11541 of 11547 Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 PM

Dune 303D streaming

Has any one had good success with streaming to this unit? I don't have the option to run lan to the unit, I'm in my 5th wheel and the dune is in the bedroom. While the NAS and router are in the living room. I have a ac 1200 net gear router. Playback is choppy over nfs. I'm only getting 4.0-4.5 mbits. The distance from the living room to the bedroom is 30 ft. Any suggestions? Do I need a range extender? Is there some settings to optimize? Do I need to get a better router?
post #11542 of 11547 Old 01-23-2016, 08:45 PM

Another issue I'm having, I set up a network folder for both SMB and NFS. I can browse the NAS on both if I launch the mm icon through favorites on SMB it works fine but if I launch it through NFS I get an error. failed to open NFS-UDP//192.168.1.2UNE/my movies. This only happens if I save it to favorites. I can launch the icon from the mm directory.
post #11543 of 11547 Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

slow reads with unRAID

a read test on the the dune verified my windows machine is sending isos at 11MB/s. A read test of the same ISO from the unRAID server is maxing out at 5-8MB/s. It starts out at 500kb/s and then gets to 8 max after about 3 minutes of climbing.

unraid shows the port as 1000MB/s. I can transfer from the windows machine to unraid back and forth with speeds of 100MB/s.
enabling fast smb on the dune is worse.

any ideas?
post #11544 of 11547 Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
What is this double access bug you speak of?
post #11545 of 11547 Old 01-25-2016, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
What is this double access bug you speak of?
http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/SMB_Share_Limit
post #11546 of 11547 Old 01-26-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I only in counter this error when I launch from the favorites menu on the dune. I can launch from the directory no prob. But if I save the mm icon to favorites and launch I get the error.
post #11547 of 11547 Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player