New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
post #11641 of 11659 Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I have had problems with USB thumb drives in my dunes. They stopped recognizing them, and they can't format them yada yada. I've had much better luck with SD cards
I tried a SD card in the front. The unit seemed to see that as a storage device but not a respository for system or blu ray information. Any suggestions?

Maybe I don't need a memory card. I was under the impression that was a good idea with these units.

Is this a bad sign that the system can't see the USB sticks? Perhaps evidence that the motherboard is slowly failing?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 11659 Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hmmm. U sure you have it formatted correctly? I have 3 b1s and they are all functioning with the sd card for system memory. I believe it helps when loading bd isos or something. I forgot why system storage is beneficial. I might have had to use diskpart cmd to really wipe the sd card.
post #11643 of 11659 Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Bluray Ripper for the Dune discussion thread

Blu-ray ripper subtitle handling and backup discussion thread for the Dunes

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

post #11644 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I am having trouble getting my Dune to access my files on a networked PC (with Vista). On the Dune I can go to the Network -> SMB -> My Computer -> Shared Drive, but when I try to go to the drive it says it can't be accessed and is asking for login information. So I can see the drive where everything is, I just can't access it. I can access the Public folders from that same computer, but that's on a different drive and doesn't have a lot of space for me to store larger files.

Is there some special trick to this? All the permissions and everything is set properly, and I don't have a password setup on the computer.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
post #11645 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am having trouble getting my Dune to access my files on a networked PC (with Vista). On the Dune I can go to the Network -> SMB -> My Computer -> Shared Drive, but when I try to go to the drive it says it can't be accessed and is asking for login information. So I can see the drive where everything is, I just can't access it. I can access the Public folders from that same computer, but that's on a different drive and doesn't have a lot of space for me to store larger files.

Is there some special trick to this? All the permissions and everything is set properly, and I don't have a password setup on the computer.
You have to do a little dance, sacrifice a small animal and bang on the computer.
Make sure your sharing permissions for that volume are in order, and NOT password protected.
Also reset the NTFS file permissions for the same volume, make sure that "everyone" is a permitted user. That's the "security" tab in properties, not the "sharing" tab.
Worst case is sometimes you just have to re-set all the above, turning it off and back on again.
post #11646 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You have to do a little dance, sacrifice a small animal and bang on the computer.
Make sure your sharing permissions for that volume are in order, and NOT password protected.
Also reset the NTFS file permissions for the same volume, make sure that "everyone" is a permitted user. That's the "security" tab in properties, not the "sharing" tab.
Worst case is sometimes you just have to re-set all the above, turning it off and back on again.
Well that's no good. I've done all that. Except the dance and sacrificing a small animal. Guess I'll have to stop by the pet store on the way home.

Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
post #11647 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Well that's no good. I've done all that. Except the dance and sacrificing a small animal. Guess I'll have to stop by the pet store on the way home.
When it asks you to login, you could enter the user name and password for the account that created the folder on the PC. Passwords can be blank, I think.

I think the problem you're having could one of ownership, so (for example) the folder could be owned by the system administrator. Try passing the ownership to a group called "Users". Windows permissions are a real PITA.
post #11648 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
^^^
I've had to add the user "everyone" with full permissions to both sharing and security. Disable password protections and then just leave user names and passwords blank on the Dune. Windows also has a setting somewhere for access by "guests".
post #11649 of 11659 Old 04-03-2017, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've tried everything I can think of. It's just not working.
post #11650 of 11659 Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
I've tried everything I can think of. It's just not working.
I have several Dunes and have played with network sharing a fair amount. Sometimes, using the network browser on the Dune to navigate to a share just doesn't work (depends on Windows OS version, how the share is set up (as others mentioned), etc.).

I find, in these cases, your best bet is to create a "New Network Folder" in the Dune interface and put all the info (PC name, share name, credentials (if necessary)). This usually always works for me.

Chris

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #11651 of 11659 Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 144
network shorcut on the dune usually work, that's true. When I had one, I never was able to see my PC folder using the Dune SMB browser...

Check your sharing settings on the PC, as already said it should be shared to "everyone", lower also the encryption to 56bits instead of 128bits. Once done you should be able to access the folder (always share a folder, not a full drive...) using "guest" as login and without password (or "guest" again)
post #11652 of 11659 Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
network shorcut on the dune usually work, that's true. When I had one, I never was able to see my PC folder using the Dune SMB browser...

Check your sharing settings on the PC, as already said it should be shared to "everyone", lower also the encryption to 56bits instead of 128bits. Once done you should be able to access the folder (always share a folder, not a full drive...) using "guest" as login and without password (or "guest" again)
Unfortunately, none of that has worked, with the browser or shortcut.

I guess it's not too big of a deal. I can at least get on my computer and send the files to the drives attached to the Dune just fine. That's how I always watch things. I just thought it would be nice to have the option to just stream from the PC if I wanted.

If I had a 2nd Dune (or another similar device) in another room, would it be able to stream from the 1st (and vice versa)?

post #11653 of 11659 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure if I'm late to mention this but there is a new beta firmware update, it's been almost 2 years, looks like there is a built in indexing feature to link /music/movies
post #11654 of 11659 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007james View Post
Not sure if I'm late to mention this but there is a new beta firmware update, it's been almost 2 years, looks like there is a built in indexing feature to link /music/movies
And a paid service that I cannot find any information about?

Anyone else know if this new firmware will make the older units locked to this service only?
post #11655 of 11659 Old Today, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The new firmware for the older models (I have smarts) is amazing!!!

After all the complaining over the last couple of years, dune has pulled out a blockbuster and have fixed all the bugs and missing features people wanted.

Upgrade and pretty much bring your old machine right up to date so it does virtually everything that the new models do (obviously not 4K or h.265) including forced subs (at last!!!) and gapless audio playback.

The new My Collection jukebox & Movie streaming plugin will be paid for apps in future but you don't have to use them, it's just a nice bonus.

I had been stuck on the old b6 firmware because I was using ScottyJ's forced subs patch, now it's not needed. Other little upgrades from b6 include the newer motion adaptive+ deinterlacing, the audio info boxes now show the proper tag info instead of shortened generic titles, now it shows whatever you write in the audio track title field.

Awesome update, almost makes me wonder why I updated to Solo 4K

Great work Dune....now let's get the movie & TV jukebox up to a world class standard!
post #11656 of 11659 Old Today, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this new firmware enable source direct for iso's?
post #11657 of 11659 Old Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxjay View Post
The new firmware for the older models (I have smarts) is amazing!!!

After all the complaining over the last couple of years, dune has pulled out a blockbuster and have fixed all the bugs and missing features people wanted.

Upgrade and pretty much bring your old machine right up to date so it does virtually everything that the new models do (obviously not 4K or h.265) including forced subs (at last!!!) and gapless audio playback.

The new My Collection jukebox & Movie streaming plugin will be paid for apps in future but you don't have to use them, it's just a nice bonus.

I had been stuck on the old b6 firmware because I was using ScottyJ's forced subs patch, now it's not needed. Other little upgrades from b6 include the newer motion adaptive+ deinterlacing, the audio info boxes now show the proper tag info instead of shortened generic titles, now it shows whatever you write in the audio track title field.

Awesome update, almost makes me wonder why I updated to Solo 4K

Great work Dune....now let's get the movie & TV jukebox up to a world class standard!
Now you got me all excited.... do you have Windows PCs that you can test whether they fixed the SMB permission issues? That is the reason I went back to HTPCs, the permission issues with Windows shares was driving me nuts.
post #11658 of 11659 Unread Today, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just tried the new firmware on one of my dunes and it broke my smb. I didn't really mess around with it much and reverted back. When I'm not feeling so lazy I'll mess around with it again.

Anyone else have this issue?
post #11659 of 11659 Unread Today, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think when I update I need to, again, turn off password protected sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player