New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #11671 of 11676 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
It hasn't worked for years. Since about 2009-2010. Back to Windows 7 and beyond (actually XP was pretty damn good with file permissions)

It has nothing to do with SMB, it has always been a folder/file permission problem. It won't even work with Mac shares if they are set to accept SMB connections.
Actually I think is has something to do with the SMB version, I did not remember well who upgraded Windows or Dune and when (sorry for the confusion), but please read this post for clarification.
It is for Dune Solo 4K but you may find it useful for older Dunes like HD Max and HD Smart.

Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

"Windows 7 runs SMB 2.1 and the Dune Solo 4k is running SMB 4.3.10 after the earlier firmware upgrade which. The idea is that that later SMB version should negotiate to the lowest common protocol while not taking advantage of the later version's specific capabilities, but it can lead to problems such as the stuttering issue you are seeing, which wasn't there before SMB was upgraded on the Dune. I haven't found any evidence that a later SMB version is available for Windows 7."

Last edited by Untaru; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 11676 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

I upgraded to the new FW.
The free promo premium function, that enables "My collection" is active until 2017-05-31.
Does anyone have any idea if the subscription will be based on an account for all the Dune HD Max and HD Smart that account owns, or it will be by account by product.
I own 2 Dune HD Max, 1 HD Duo, 2 HD Smart H1 and 1 HD Smart B1.
In other words, do I have to pay 6 subscriptions or just 1 subscription for all the 6 Dunes?
Also, any idea of how much the subscription will be per month or per year?
I own also a Dune Solo 4K which does not need subscription but there is a Dune Solo 4k Lite version which need subscription.
Dune Solo 4K Lite is on the market from 1 year ago, but Dune never enforced the subscription, so far, Solo4K Lite is still in the promo period since 1 year ago.
Thanks

Last edited by Untaru; Yesterday at 12:36 PM.
post #11673 of 11676 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxjay View Post
The new firmware for the older models (I have smarts) is amazing!!!

After all the complaining over the last couple of years, dune has pulled out a blockbuster and have fixed all the bugs and missing features people wanted.

Upgrade and pretty much bring your old machine right up to date so it does virtually everything that the new models do (obviously not 4K or h.265) including forced subs (at last!!!) and gapless audio playback.

The new My Collection jukebox & Movie streaming plugin will be paid for apps in future but you don't have to use them, it's just a nice bonus.

I had been stuck on the old b6 firmware because I was using ScottyJ's forced subs patch, now it's not needed. Other little upgrades from b6 include the newer motion adaptive+ deinterlacing, the audio info boxes now show the proper tag info instead of shortened generic titles, now it shows whatever you write in the audio track title field.

Awesome update, almost makes me wonder why I updated to Solo 4K

Great work Dune....now let's get the movie & TV jukebox up to a world class standard!
Can you clarify what you mean by gapless audio playback?

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050

post #11674 of 11676 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Now you got me all excited.... do you have Windows PCs that you can test whether they fixed the SMB permission issues? That is the reason I went back to HTPCs, the permission issues with Windows shares was driving me nuts.
Definitely there can be a problem with Windows shares access from Dunes. Sometimes it's a time consuming business to get it working. But I can evidence that it's doable. I have two Dune TV-102 (same thing in that regard, imo) and I'd managed to access the default Windows share (Public, which is enough for my needs) in the Dune's network browser for the following OSes:

-Win Vista 32 Ultimate;
-Win 7 32-bit Home;
-Win 8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit);
-Win 8.1 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit);
-Win 10 Pro 64-bit, current build and the Insider's preview build;
-Win 10 Home 32-bit, current build

I think there are a number of ways to get the access working but what I have done is to change four network-related parameters (using Local Security Policy applet or Regedit), that are related to anonymous access to the share. That's it. Updated my Dune with the new firmware (r11), the access is not broken, all fine.
post #11675 of 11676 Old Today, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiisi View Post
Definitely there can be a problem with Windows shares access from Dunes. Sometimes it's a time consuming business to get it working. But I can evidence that it's doable. I have two Dune TV-102 (same thing in that regard, imo) and I'd managed to access the default Windows share (Public, which is enough for my needs) in the Dune's network browser for the following OSes:

-Win Vista 32 Ultimate;
-Win 7 32-bit Home;
-Win 8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit);
-Win 8.1 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit);
-Win 10 Pro 64-bit, current build and the Insider's preview build;
-Win 10 Home 32-bit, current build

I think there are a number of ways to get the access working but what I have done is to change four network-related parameters (using Local Security Policy applet or Regedit), that are related to anonymous access to the share. That's it. Updated my Dune with the new firmware (r11), the access is not broken, all fine.
I think all of us can access the SMB shares on Windows. This is not the problem. The problem is the picture quality is not so good, it is stuttering sometimes.
This is why NFS is better.
Thanks
post #11676 of 11676 Old Today, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaru View Post
I think all of us can access the SMB shares on Windows. This is not the problem. The problem is the picture quality is not so good, it is stuttering sometimes.
This is why NFS is better.
Thanks
When my Windows shares have the right permissions settings the quality is the same on SMB and I get NO stuttering. When Windows updates anything to do with networking, it resets the permissions and I can no longer see the shares. How do I know it resets the settings...cause I can see the registries being changed to default after each update.

I have never heard anyone complain that the picture quality is different on SMB vs NFS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread