post #211 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Keep in mind also that the new models are meant to compliment the current Base/Prime (i.e. give users more options along the pricing scale)

As far as 3D, the impact as far as HDMI is concerned is that HDMI 1.3 will give you 1080i 3D whereas HDMI 1.4 will give you 1080p 3D. Who knows for sure if 3D will be supported. I don't know how 3D relates to this advertised feature of the dune players:

Regarding the latest/greatest, unfortunately this technology is fast moving, and when you think you have the latest/greatest in only a few months something comes out that is better. The key is to make sure you have something that you can use NOW. Latest/greatest is great, but also means you can potentially deal with instabilities/bugs as the technology matures.

Don't tell me that I'm the only one that thinks HDMI is going to an early grave? Come on HDBaseT!!

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Don't tell me that I'm the only one that thinks HDMI is going to an early grave? Come on HDBaseT!!

CD

Not anytime soon I don't believe. I am still waiting for WHDMI to take off (and get much cheaper)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #213 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Not anytime soon I don't believe. I am still waiting for WHDMI to take off (and get much cheaper)

I disagree. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think HDMI is a backwards-ass, difficult, expensive interface...which has no love-lost from anyone but the cable hucksters...and an idea like HDBaseT will get fast-tracked into implementation.

Just seems like a natural, with the drift of melding computers and TV, with digital media and online streaming anyway. And wireless HDMI? I'd be very surprised if that ever makes it off the ground; most people can't even reliably stream video wirelessly around the house, and I can't see the cost coming down enough to make if viable to the masses.

Like I said, might just be my wishful thinking...lol.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #214 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I disagree. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think HDMI is a backwards-ass, difficult, expensive interface...which has no love-lost from anyone but the cable hucksters...and an idea like HDBaseT will get fast-tracked into implementation.

Just seems like a natural, with the drift of melding computers and TV, with digital media and online streaming anyway. And wireless HDMI? I'd be very surprised if that ever makes it off the ground; most people can't even reliably stream video wirelessly around the house, and I can't see the cost coming down enough to make if viable to the masses.

Like I said, might just be my wishful thinking...lol.

CD

Well, my point is moreso just about every device has HDMI. To move over to HDBaseT will take time to get into every device, and have people switch from their HDMI devices to HDBaseT. That is why I think it will take a while, you simply can't just make the switch and there are too many people who either just purchased equipment or will purchase equipment based on HDMI to just throw out.

I am not sure about WHDMI. The TVs were supposed to get (I believe Panny is the first) but of course can't do much if the device has it but no other devices do.

Cheers,
Damian

post #215 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

CD

Bite your Tongue!
My HDMi devices have served me well the last six years. Everthing I use is HDMI now except for some of my PCs which still have DVI. I don't want to switch to a new format when HDMI has worked so well for me over the years.

Plus isn't the first version of HDBaseT only 100mbs? I went gigabit in 2001 and have no desire to to go back to the speeds I used in the late 90's for my backbone.
For me to even consider using it for wired network use, it needs to at least be close to gigabit speeds.

http://www.hdbaset.org/files/HDBaseT...ble_Nereus.pdf

The specs look interesting but, it has a long uphill battle for acceptance.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #216 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So with the optional modules including DVB-S2 tuners, would this mean that I could buy a Max + 2 DVB-S2 tuners in the US unit (Region 1/A DVD/BD drive) and also tune/record clear network feeds? That would be really cool and I would then finally end up buying a big dish.
post #217 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is not HDBaseT relegated to compressed transport, while HDMI is Uncompressed AV+control, meaning that HDBaseT would require dedicated hardware decoding in the TV for any/all codecs, while with HDMI the sending device incurs the hardware cost?
post #218 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elixxxer View Post

I'm very interested in these new Dune network players as they finally make more sense (price wise). I have a couple of questions, though:

Unlike many, I want to take my computer(s) completely out of the equation when using this thing as a media device. With that in mind, is it possible to run a 3rd party GUI without having the computer on at the same time? Additionally, what are the data transfer speeds like over a network to the internal HD?

Additionally, is output of FLAC files over HDMI bit-perfect (basically no processing of any kind before it hits the receiver)?

I like the idea of these Dunes because they include well-developed firmware straight out of the box and I want something with an internal hard drive (again, to negate the need for a computer or NAS to be on). I also like the portability aspect; if I want to watch all of my media at a friend's house, I just take the entire unit with me and everything is self-contained. $20 for shipping is a bit of a rip, though, so I might wait until it is available at a standard retailer.

Well I can say this about 20.00 for shipping. If duneplayer gets 20.00 to ship, and that helps fund the support program they have, I would have paid 40.00! If you save 10.00 on shipping, and you need support, that 10.00 might not be as important anymore.
post #219 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Differences between Smart H1 and Smart D1

I am still trying to figure out the exact differences between these two, so far I get this:

H1 has a "Hot Swappable" feature, and everyone is "guessing" that there is some kind of pop out drawer or Loader assembly to load and remove the Hard Drive.

The D1 can have a HD mounted inside the device, but it needs to be taken apart to add or remove the HD. (Again, I think everyone is "guessing" that the D1 needs to be dis-assembled somehow to install/remove the HD).

The D1 has a nice LED Display, whereas the H1 has NO display.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I was assuming, that, with the exceptions listed above, the devices are the same, and when you look at the spec page on the dune web site, features are identical, word for word, with a few exceptions. (I lined both web pages up "in sync" and these were the different features.)

Here is one "difference" (Quoted from web site):
D1
Extended support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (up to 7.1 channels) for maximum flexibility when connecting audio equipment, and for extended support of advanced playback features (such as Picture-in-Picture).

H1
Flexible support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output as bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (stereo downmix) for flexibility when connecting audio equipment.

and another "difference" (again, Quoted from web site)

D1
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)

H1
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)

So what does it mean? Almost everything else is word for word, the same.
post #220 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

The new ones will allow an upgrade next year to the new chipset. The Dune Base may or may not, no one is sure. But yes, the Base is still great

These upgrade schemes are rarely worth it. Expensive, not optimized for the new designs, etc... It's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. In the Dune case it does bring more customers to the table by lowering the price for those not interested in certain features. That was a smart move, but the upgradeable thing is worthless, unless they give it away at cost.

Philip
post #221 of 10916 Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The Base is now functionally equivalent to the H1, which sells for about $110 less. However the H1 lacks a display and does not have 7.1 analog audio output.

So it's confirmed that the H1 is totally equivalent to the Base 3.0 minus those features? Mind I ask is having 7.1 analog output necessary? I'll be using HDMI to connect it to a 3-d 7.1 home theater, so I assume it will bitstream and sound the same as the Base 3.0 with HD tracks?

Also, about that hot swap feature. Again I need to know how easy it is to swap the harddrive with the base 3.0. I'm actually debating on just going with the H1 if it is in fact very easy to swap hardrives and scrap the whole whs idea. I have several 2TB hds and am thinking of putting different genres, tvs shows, etc on each of them. This would save me from getting a whs and dealing with a network. Anyone else plan to do the same? I know it sounds crazy but I already have a bunch of hds and kinda like the idea of an easy swap for different genres (I can only watch so many movies/shows a night). But if I go this route.. can I still bring up cover art for movies via interal hd like you can using zappiti if I'm connected online?

I was hoping that I could do this with the Base 3.0 but if it's not gonna be convenient then I to know.

Thanks.
post #222 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

So it's confirmed that the H1 is totally equivalent to the Base 3.0 minus those features? Mind I ask is having 7.1 analog output necessary? I'll be using HDMI to connect it to a 3-d 7.1 home theater, so I assume it will bitstream and sound the same as the Base 3.0 with HD tracks?

Also, about that hot swap feature. Again I need to know how easy it is to swap the harddrive with the base 3.0. I'm actually debating on just going with the H1 if it is in fact very easy to swap hardrives and scrap the whole whs idea. I have several 2TB hds and am thinking of putting different genres, tvs shows, etc on each of them. This would save me from getting a whs and dealing with a network. Anyone else plan to do the same? I know it sounds crazy but I already have a bunch of hds and kinda like the idea of an easy swap for different genres (I can only watch so many movies/shows a night). But if I go this route.. can I still bring up cover art for movies via interal hd like you can using zappiti if I'm connected online?

I was hoping that I could do this with the Base 3.0 but if it's not gonna be convenient then I to know.

Thanks.

Only you can say whether or no the 7.1 analogs are needed. You said you were connecting via HDMI so I am guessing not.
As far as swapping hard drives on a base, my 7 year old can (and does) do it.
post #223 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

These upgrade schemes are rarely worth it. Expensive, not optimized for the new designs, etc... It's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. In the Dune case it does bring more customers to the table by lowering the price for those not interested in certain features. That was a smart move, but the upgradeable thing is worthless, unless they give it away at cost.

Philip

Totally disagree with this point. HDI has shown that they care about their customers and wishes and I think expecting "cost" (however you define it) is very unrealistic. I want HDI to make money and stay in business and to continue to have great products, and have no problem with them making a profit.
Its amazing to me how many people bitched about wanting a Dune "lite" and then when they give you one, they simply move on to complain about something else.
Just my 2 cents...
Chris
post #224 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

I am still trying to figure out the exact differences between these two, so far I get this:

H1 has a "Hot Swappable" feature, and everyone is "guessing" that there is some kind of pop out drawer or Loader assembly to load and remove the Hard Drive.

The D1 can have a HD mounted inside the device, but it needs to be taken apart to add or remove the HD. (Again, I think everyone is "guessing" that the D1 needs to be dis-assembled somehow to install/remove the HD).

Now here is where it gets interesting. I was assuming, that, with the exceptions listed above, the devices are the same, and when you look at the spec page on the dune web site, features are identical, word for word, with a few exceptions. (I lined both web pages up "in sync" and these were the different features.)

D1
Extended support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (up to 7.1 channels) for maximum flexibility when connecting audio equipment, and for extended support of advanced playback features (such as Picture-in-Picture).

H1
Flexible support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output as bitstream (up to 7.1 channels) or decode to LPCM (stereo downmix) for flexibility when connecting audio equipment.

D1
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)

H1
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)

H1 supports "stereo downmix" but D1 doesn't, I guess.
I don't understand how different "extended" and "flexible".
post #225 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

H1 supports "stereo downmix" but D1 doesn't, I guess.
I don't understand how different "extended" and "flexible".

I would assume all models should support stereo downmix as they all should be running the same fw and the same chip. Maybe just a typo?

Cheers,
Damian

post #226 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

Philip

For people who upgrade their equipment constantly, like many people on this forum, an upgrade path is a big incentive. When I first read that there would be a free upgrade path to the new chips next year, I was ready to purchase two immediately, but when I found that was a mistake, I held off. If I knew right now what the cost of an upgrade would be, it would help me make my decision. But right now I think I'm going to hold off on getting one or two of these models and wait for the ones with the new chips next year. And also to see what Syabas has planned as well for the new chips.

Having an upgrade path is one of the reasons I have stayed with DVDO so long and their scalers, since I stopped using my Holo3D Graph scalers from the early 2000's(which required a PC) and getting my first iScanHD. I upgraded each time to the iscanHD+, the VP30, The VP50, the VP50pro, etc. Without that upgrade program I would not have upgraded like that.

And by Dune offering an upgrade option it will get them more sales. It should make the purchase a much better value.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #227 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Philip

I'm pretty sure I read that the smart units would just be replaced with a new model (D1 for a D2), so I'm not sure how you can say they will not be optimized for the new design.

edit:
HDI Official message:
"For Dune HD Max users this upgrade will mean a change of the main board in the unit provided by a customer. For Dune HD Smart players in good conditions it will be just substituting H1/B1/D1 module to H2/B2/D2 one (on 8646 chip) respectively (no upgrading work needed). And of course such upgrade for any of the models will be significantly cheaper than buying a new player. " from MPCClub
post #228 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

D1

H1

D1

H1

that's a good find. I think it means that if your AVR doesn't support bitstreamed HD codecs and you use LPCM then the H1 will only give you stereo, while the D1 will give you full multichannel.
post #229 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

that's a good find. I think it means that if your AVR doesn't support bitstreamed HD codecs and you use LPCM then the H1 will only give you stereo, while the D1 will give you full multichannel.

I'm betting it is just a typo.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #230 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Can't seem to find the answer to this. Will the 3.0 dunes be able to get 3d with a firmware upgrade? Or is there a hardware difference?
post #231 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter View Post

I'm pretty sure I read that the smart units would just be replaced with a new model (D1 for a D2), so I'm not sure how you can say they will not be optimized for the new design.

I think his point was just the opposite, and the same as yours: if you get a D1, and then follow the upgrade path to the new chip...it's not "worth" it, because the D1 won't have been optimized for the new processor.

CD

post #232 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

I think his point was just the opposite, and the same as yours: if you get a D1, and then follow the upgrade path to the new chip...it's not "worth" it, because the D1 won't have been optimized for the new processor.

CD

You misunderstand, they have said that the only box they will do open heart surgery on is the Max. The Smart units will just be a straight across swap, D1 for new D2, etc. However, let's say they charge $100 plus shipping for this service. It still might be cheaper to eBay the original unit and buy the new one outright. It comes down to the upgrade cost.
post #233 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Thanks.

The unit is not out yet so it's all speculation. If you need things 100% confirmed you are going to have to hold off until units are out for review, of course then you run the risk having to wait a month or two because the units are backordered at that point.
post #234 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't get the complaints about Dune offering the upgrade option. It's an extra chioce for the consumer, which is always a good thing.

Now questioning the need to upgrade just to get gig transfer speeds is a valid question.

Also, it may be interesting to see how many D1/H1 "factory refurbs" start selling for if a lot of people elect to upgrade. I'd be a lot more interested in getting a factory refurb from Dune than I would be buying one straight off Ebay from one of you shady characters...

-Suntan
post #235 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You misunderstand, they have said that the only box they will do open heart surgery on is the Max. The Smart units will just be a straight across swap, D1 for new D2, etc. However, let's say they charge $100 plus shipping for this service. It still might be cheaper to eBay the original unit and buy the new one outright. It comes down to the upgrade cost.

Well, I'm not misunderstanding anything; I never claimed to have a handle on the upgrade policy (although it's appreciated that you cleared it up for everyone). I was responding to APorter, who was responding to PMCD's claim about the upgrade policy.

That being said, we've all been through this "upgrade" thing before. Either move your "old" unit to another location, or sell it and get a portion back. I've pre-ordered a D1 to replace the A-110 in my HT. So that tells you how long I've been waiting for a suitable player. The C-200 came and went...which scared me off the A-200; and I don't need to even explain about the Pop.

So I can't wait; hit me with the D1, and if the D2 is really that much better, it's not like the D1 will be worthless.

CD

post #236 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I'd be a lot more interested in getting a factory refurb from Dune than I would be buying one straight off Ebay from one of you shady characters...

-Suntan

Now that's funny. Not to go OT, but I just sold one of my Squeezebox Duet's on (fleec)eBay...and the guy who bought it emailed me to say the battery in the remote wouldn't hold a charge. I hadn't used the remote in a while, so I honestly didn't realize...but agreed to replace the battery out of my pocket. Then he emailed me to say not to bother; he couldn't figure out how to set the thing up...it sucked, Logitech support sucked...Logitech sucked, and he was throwing it in the trash...lol.

Man, I should have just steered clear...he had paid, so what do I care what the hell he does with it...lol...but I felt really bad and offered to try and help him through set-up. I sent email after email; did he want help, did he still want the battery, what? He wrote back to say he had calmed down, and go ahead and have the battery shipped; he would try to sort it out. Then, he informed me he and Logitech had come to the conclusion that the wireless antennae was "bad"...so they were going to send him a brand new unit as replacement!

Now, I usually ran the thing wired, but the last 2 weeks before I sold it, I did move locations and just decided to run it wirelessly...temporarily, since I knew I was selling it soon. It found my WAP and went through set-up in about, uh...a minute...and I played files...including big, high-bitrate 24/96 FLACs, every night for those 2 weeks without a single problem or drop-out!

In fact, now that I think about it, I sold this unit on Audiogon...which for those of you who don't partake, is a site geared toward "hi-end" audio equipment; so I guess the point is freaks are to be found everywhere on the Internet.

CD

post #237 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I just ordered the D1 yesterday. I'm curious what you guys recommend for reliable 2tb external hard drives. Would I need to get an e-sata model as opposed to USB to play BDMV/BD-ISO without any hiccups?

I was going to get the H1 with the internal hot swap option which would have made things a little easier but in the end I didn't like the look of the H1, plus I like the display option.

TIA
post #238 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post

I just ordered the D1 yesterday. I'm curious what you guys recommend for reliable 2tb external hard drives. Would I need to hook up with e-sata as opposed to USB to play BDMV/BD-ISO without any hiccups?

I was going to get the H1 with the internal hot swap option but in the end I didn't like the look of the H1, plus I like the display option.

TIA

You realize you can still put an internal hard drive into a D1, right?

CD

post #239 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post

I just ordered the D1 yesterday. I'm curious what you guys recommend for reliable 2tb external hard drives. Would I need to get an e-sata model as opposed to USB to play BDMV/BD-ISO without any hiccups?

I was going to get the H1 with the internal hot swap option which would have made things a little easier but in the end I didn't like the look of the H1, plus I like the display option.

TIA

I think you will find that most of us here are streaming our media over a LAN and not hooking up hard drives for playback.
post #240 of 10916 Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:

You realize you can still put an internal hard drive into a D1, right?

CD

Yes, I do. Still not sure how easy the internal will be to install until I actually get it, don't necessarily feel comfortable opening up the unit. Thought the external would be better option, don't want to screw anthing up.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page