EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

EVT, can you elaborate what you mean by "put a check mark next to that subtitle track in DVDFab". Do you mean to just rip multiple english subtitle tracks if present? Or is there something more.

With a "proper" player, if I rip the main title, HD audio, and all the english subtitle tracks to an .iso, is that not enough to get any forced subtitles to automatically play no matter which track they are in?

No it's not, and I suspect it's more a reflection on DVDFab than on the players, the behaviour is the same both on my Dune and my PC using Power DVD. Essentially, there are two types of forced subtitles, those embedded in a complete set of English subtitles and those that reside on a separate subtitle track. DVDFab works fine with the first type but doesn't handle those that are in a separate track properly.

To address this, I've found a simple solution, since Power DVD runs automatically when I insert a disc, I let it load the disc and I start the movie, if there is a separate subtitle track with forced subs when I check subtitles in Power DVD it indicates that the main subtitles are turned off but identifies a checkmark next to the separate track containing the forced subtitles. If a disc contains such a track, I note which english track this is and then I include a checkmark next to this track in DVDFab which will then cause whatever player you use it with to turn these subtitles on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OT overrun error!!
post #363 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

so which two movies have Cinavia, and at what point in the movie? are test files available?

I'm going to pre-order this player, and will want to test this as if it has cinavia it'll be going straight back.

The Losers and The Runaways on blu-ray have it that's what i have read on forums. But even if they work that doesn't mean Cinavia can't be turned on later with a firmware update as long as the player has this in side.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread....cinivia&page=4
post #364 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

The Losers and The Runaways on blu-ray have it that's what i have read on forums.

Add the Karate Kid remake to that list.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #365 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can someone explain cinavia to me? I have read it has an audio tag to will shut down playback of not authorized, but what are the stipulations/ requirements? If I play a bd iso file, with protection removed on a disc I OWN, it could shut down playback because encryption is missing? If I rip protected copies to my server, it should work fine though, right? Since this player has a BD license it should read protected iso files from a server, right?
post #366 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Sorry, did I take a proverbial wrong turn? I thought this is the Netgear Evo 550 forum.

------------
Regards,
David
post #367 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Actually, let me simplify my question from 2 posts ago. Will the 550 play protected blu-ray ISO files from a WHS share? It should, since it is a licensed player, right?
post #368 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does the 550 have a built in GUI which scrapes info automatically?

Philip
post #369 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Does the 550 have a built in GUI which scrapes info automatically?

Philip

Yes

-Mike
post #370 of 6257 Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Add the Karate Kid remake to that list.

Wow your right i just saw that and the disc has a Cinavia logo on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Can someone explain cinavia to me? I have read it has an audio tag to will shut down playback of not authorized, but what are the stipulations/ requirements? If I play a bd iso file, with protection removed on a disc I OWN, it could shut down playback because encryption is missing? If I rip protected copies to my server, it should work fine though, right? Since this player has a BD license it should read protected iso files from a server, right?

As long as you have protection still in it your fine it's once you remove it and played back on a Cinavia enabled player you will have a problem. Yes it should read protected iso files from your server just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinyD View Post

Sorry, did I take a proverbial wrong turn? I thought this is the Netgear Evo 550 forum.

Yep right forum but we just want to know if this player will have Cinavia or not, would be nice to know.
post #371 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 AM

i would 'imagine' they wouldn't put it in.

it would completely kill the product in it's prospective market. surely netgear wouldn't be that dumb??
post #372 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe View Post

Yes

Just to be clear here. Does this require a computer to scrape the information? They appear to be shipping a CD with the unit which is odd. Jukeboxes such as YAMJ usually require a computer to set things up and then the information is transferred to the player. I am just trying to verify that the GUI in the 550 can operate independently of any computer.

philip
post #373 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone seen any more information about the "Zixi" (i think that is what it is called) integration? This tech is supposed to improve streaming quality, so they must have some plans in this department (since I don't think it would apply to netflix).

We've heard nothing so far in the beta forum.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #374 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to be clear here. Does this require a computer to scrape the information? They appear to be shipping a CD with the unit which is odd. Jukeboxes such as YAMJ usually require a computer to set things up and then the information is transferred to the player. I am just trying to verify that the GUI in the 550 can operate independently of any computer.

philip

I have not seen the CD, but typically it will have the user manual in PDF, and possibly a utility program for the Neo. In the past, this was known as DEW. In the early days, it was required to have a PC running for viewing YouTube vidieos. This is no longer the case.

The Neo can run totally independent from a PC. It will scan your network for any SMB or NFS share. Or you can place your media on an external usb or esata device and hook it directly up to the PC. There is even a SD card slot if you choose. The size is perfect to just throw it in your briefcase and take it with you on a business trip or family vacation.

post #375 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has this player always existed? I do not recall seeing it before on their site. There's no info on it when clicking the link via their site.
post #376 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post

Has this player always existed? I do not recall seeing it before on their site. There's no info on it when clicking the link via their site.

Looks like it is available for purchase. But I don't think it has been out that long. I was under the impression it was being released the end of the month.

post #377 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:

It's actually quite simple and devious in concept and proving hellacious to defeat. A watermark is put in the audio output. That watermark identifies the disk as being a commercial BluRay which should be protected by AACS. A cinavia enabled player will look for that watermark and if detected will then look to see that AACS is present (which, of course, is removed by the ripper). If the watermark is present but AACS is not, the cinavia enabled player determines it to be an unauthorized copy and shuts off the audio after 20 min and displays a nasty-gram on the screen.

One of the features of cinavia is that it transfers across analog audio, which is what made it interesting for movie theaters. If you bring your HD camcorder to the theater and "film" the movie, the watermark is transferred across the analog recording by the camcorder's microphone. When this is burned and played back on a cinavia enabled player, it will fail and shut off the audio.

One could easily see the problems this would cause the media player users if cinavia compliance became a "cost" of a BD license for full menu support.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #378 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Since it has been stated that the player has a built in scraper is there a way to override the scrapped data (Icons, Fanart, Descriptions)?

If so how is this accomplished? (External program, nfo files or folder images)

The inability to change icons and data on the Boxee box is a key reason to be looking at this box if it is possible.
post #379 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM

i hope it allows simple plain browsing of folders in an easy way
post #380 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

Since it has been stated that the player has a built in scraper is there a way to override the scrapped data (Icons, Fanart, Descriptions)?

If so how is this accomplished? (External program, nfo files or folder images)

The inability to change icons and data on the Boxee box is a key reason to be looking at this box if it is possible.

I think you need to be careful you're talking about the thing you think you're talking about.

The DEW or "tag tool" referred to above (link here) is a desktop computer app which is provided with current netgear streamers. This allows you to pull information from IMDB on a file by file basis (there is no bulk facility) but you can simply type the information in for each file yourself. The same with coverart. So, you can use the one from the IMDB or grab one yourself from a google search.

Once you've generated the tag info for a movie you "save it" to your computer/NAS. The neo will then use this information to display in the GUI.

From what I've read about the Boxee the above is done "on the fly" from the unit itself (it's not run from your computer) and so you have much less control over the results.

However, there is talk of a new "tool" for the Neo (can't recall the name of it). Exactly how this works no one knows. It may populate on the fly or it may allow you to bulk populate and then edit later. No one knows yet.
post #381 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

i hope it allows simple plain browsing of folders in an easy way

"Live Folder Browsing" is an option with the 9150 and Neo that allows browsing your media similar to a Windows Explorer like mode.

post #382 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

I think you need to be careful you're talking about the thing you think you're talking about.

The DEW or "tag tool" referred to above (link here) is a desktop computer app which is provided with current netgear streamers. This allows you to pull information from IMDB on a file by file basis (there is no bulk facility) but you can simply type the information in for each file yourself. The same with coverart. So, you can use the one from the IMDB or grab one yourself from a google search.

Once you've generated the tag info for a movie you "save it" to your computer/NAS. The neo will then use this information to display in the GUI.

From what I've read about the Boxee the above is done "on the fly" from the unit itself (it's not run from your computer) and so you have much less control over the results.

However, there is talk of a new "tool" for the Neo (can't recall the name of it). Exactly how this works no one knows. It may populate on the fly or it may allow you to bulk populate and then edit later. No one knows yet.

The DEW replacement will be called Movie Manager from what I've been told. It will not rely on IMDB or Amazon any longer, but instead will access it's data from a server. Who's server I don't know. Could be one Netgear will stand up, could be they partnered with My Movies. Don't know for sure. I would suspect it should be coming any day now, as I can't imagine this not being in place when they release the units in a couple weeks. But regardless, I believe they still plan to support the current .TAG files for containing movie information. Pretty sure none of this "on the fly" stuff.

post #383 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

The DEW replacement will be called Movie Manager from what I've been told. It will not rely on IMDB or Amazon any longer, but instead will access it's data from a server. Who's server I don't know. Could be one Netgear will stand up, could be they partnered with My Movies. Don't know for sure. I would suspect it should be coming any day now, as I can't imagine this not being in place when they release the units in a couple weeks. But regardless, I believe they still plan to support the current .TAG files for containing movie information. Pretty sure none of this "on the fly" stuff.

Thanks
So do you know if Movie Manager be built into the Neo or a separate computer-based app?
post #384 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM

For those whowants to know, i just tested tonight 192khz Flac audio file (2 ch) and it works fine. Glad to see "192k" on my amp !
post #385 of 6257 Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
So do you know if Movie Manager be built into the Neo or a separate computer-based app?

My best guess would be computer based. I really don't think they'd incorporate it into the firmware.

post #386 of 6257 Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

My best guess would be computer based. I really don't think they'd incorporate it into the firmware.

Hmm ... then you can't manage the GUI from the 550? That is, you can't scrape information using only the 550. This just sounds like YAMJ all over again. The ideal would be to take it out of the box, plug it in, it scans content and fetches metadata without having to deal with a computer program. Different people are saying different things. Does the 550 do this or not? I realize you think it doesn't, but a couple of other people seem to disagree. It doesn't make sense to require a computer if the point is to have a media player with a nice GUI ( like the Boxee Box, for example).

philip
post #387 of 6257 Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:

Hmm ... then you can't manage the GUI from the 550? That is, you can't scrape information using only the 550. This just sounds like YAMJ all over again. The ideal would be to take it out of the box, plug it in, it scans content and fetches metadata without having to deal with a computer program. Different people are saying different things. Does the 550 do this or not? I realize you think it doesn't, but a couple of other people seem to disagree. It doesn't make sense to require a computer if the point is to have a media player with a nice GUI ( like the Boxee Box, for example).

philip

If I'm one of the people who you think "seem to disagree" then I've not explained myself properly.

You point DEW at your media and generate the tags/coverart for everything. Once you've done that you don't need DEW again. You point the Neo directly at your movies/music and it uses the tags you generated using DEW. It doesn't interface or rely on DEW at all.
So, the workflow is as follows:
  1. Rip your movie using your favourite ripper. Close down your ripping program.
  2. Generate the tag info using DEW. Close down DEW
  3. Move the movie and tag file over to your NAS.
  4. Switch off computer
  5. Play movie on Neo and view the tag info.
>> The ideal would be to take it out of the box, plug it in, it scans content and fetches metadata without having to deal with a computer program.

This will be the case if you've already tagged your files.

Many "music ripping" programs generate the tags as they rip your music (Windows Media Player, iTunes etc). Many "video ripping" programs don't. If they did then you wouldn't need DEW at all.

Clearer now?
post #388 of 6257 Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 AM

To bypass Cinavia, can the audio be ripped from the bd movie and replaced by the audio of the same dvd movie
post #389 of 6257 Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I'm one of the people who you think "seem to disagree" then I've not explained myself properly.

You point DEW at your media and generate the tags/coverart for everything. Once you've done that you don't need DEW again. You point the Neo directly at your movies/music and it uses the tags you generated using DEW. It doesn't interface or rely on DEW at all.
So, the workflow is as follows:
  1. Rip your movie using your favourite ripper. Close down your ripping program.
  2. Generate the tag info using DEW. Close down DEW
  3. Move the movie and tag file over to your NAS.
  4. Switch off computer
  5. Play movie on Neo and view the tag info.
>> The ideal would be to take it out of the box, plug it in, it scans content and fetches metadata without having to deal with a computer program.

This will be the case if you've already tagged your files.

Many "music ripping" programs generate the tags as they rip your music (Windows Media Player, iTunes etc). Many "video ripping" programs don't. If they did then you wouldn't need DEW at all.

Clearer now?

Quite clear. Thank you. Basically, the NVT550 requires a computer with a supported OS in order to produce a GUI along the lines of XBMC or Boxee.

That, for me, is really disappointing.

philip
post #390 of 6257 Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quite clear. Thank you. Basically, the NVT550 requires a computer with a supported OS in order to produce a GUI along the lines of XBMC or Boxee.

That, for me, is really disappointing.

philip

Really? But you need a computer to rip a movie so why not tag it whilst you're at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page