Forum Jump: 

post #4381 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

It is likely an SDK problem. Information early in the thread stated that the Neo can play gapless music so I suspect they have the latest SDK. I haven't used my Dune in a while, but last time I did, it was still on an older SDK. Maybe someone else can comment as to if the Dune can now do gapless which would be indicative of the SDK being used.

Re the Dune and gapless audio. Well, the answer is both yes and no. The initial reaction from users who installed the latest (beta) firmware was that it still doesn't play gaples audio. BUT, now it has been discoverd that, if you play music while watching a slide show, then it plays gapless! Very strange.

The way round it is to have both audio tracks and images in the same folder and select an option called "play slide show and music" or some such. Then it will play gapless. But if you just want to play "stand alone" music, it (still) doesn't play gapless. Weird or what?

I expect they'll get round to fixing it, but maybe not. They seem to concentrate mostly bringing out new models and/or adding features that nobody has asked for, rather than fixing known issues. In any case, on past experience, it'll be another few months before they release another beta firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

It is likely an SDK problem. Information early in the thread stated that the Neo can play gapless music so I suspect they have the latest SDK. I haven't used my Dune in a while, but last time I did, it was still on an older SDK. Maybe someone else can comment as to if the Dune can now do gapless which would be indicative of the SDK being used.

I'm not sure this is good or bad. If this is SDK related and has plagued the Dune for a long time, it's either because Sigma has/will not fix the bug, or Dune has not updated the SDK if Sigma has fixed it.
post #4383 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

no ill effects afaics

Newbie question, can you backtrack to older firmware if the new one broke something?

post #4384 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

Newbie question, can you backtrack to older firmware if the new one broke something?

Yes you can install any firmware you want.
If the unit won't boot use recovery mode.
Unplug cable, replug, hold power button for over 5 seconds, load firmware from usb.
post #4385 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes you can install any firmware you want.
If the unit won't boot use recovery mode.
Unplug cable, replug, hold power button for over 5 seconds, load firmware from usb.

Great stuff, thks.

post #4386 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

no ill effects afaics

Can you post the link?
post #4387 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycandy View Post

I'd like to know if someone has a receiver that can decode HDCD if this player will send FLAC files with the HDCD data.

My A/V receiver doesn't decode HDCD, it's done by my Oppo DVD player. I did notice that HDCDs on the Oppo sounded a bit more open an airy than 44.1kHz/16bit FLAC files ripped from the HDCDs and played on the 550. However, I just found out that recent versions of dbPowerAmp will convert 44.1kHz/16bit FLAC files, if they are HDCD-encoded, to 44.1kHz/24bit (not 20bit) files and those play back quite wonderfully through the 550. To my ears, they sound as good as the HDCDs. Worth a try!
post #4388 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanc View Post

I must be doing something terribly wrong.

I use the linksys-PLK300 powerplugs (200mbps) and my peak is 30-32mbps SMB streaming from a win7 64bit desktop.
I'd like to believe wiring and powerplugs are decent so is it the D-link-dsl-g624t router i'm using to blame?

Powerline networking is always a crapshoot, as the the way the electrical lines are configured/routed in your house can have a huge effect on throughput, regardless of the "quality" of the wiring.

15% of what's on the box is not uncommon for powerline.
post #4389 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

ny news on getting TS streams recorded on my Vu+ Duo Sat RX to play on the 550...

I'll forward this on to the engineers and see if they are.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Thanks Bob, very much appreciated. The devs have a couple of samples of TS files from me and others on the NTGR forum...... but thanks for your kind offer

Regards
Peter
post #4390 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanc View Post

I must be doing something terribly wrong.

I use the linksys-PLK300 powerplugs (200mbps) and my peak is 30-32mbps SMB streaming from a win7 64bit desktop.
I'd like to believe wiring and powerplugs are decent so is it the D-link-dsl-g624t router i'm using to blame?

Powerline performance varies a lot - wiring is only one factor. It also depends on circuit load, and exactly what you have plugged in. You can get powerline filters to front-end your plugs, they apparently can speed things up (see http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...werline-filter)
post #4391 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

ImageBurn does that and much more.

Imgburn does not extract ISOs to folders. It will create ISO images from folders or optical media, it will write ISO images to optical media. But for some reason it will not extract folders from ISO images to your hard drive. It would be very handy if it did, it is a nice tool.

Winzip and (I think) Winrar will extract ISOs to your hard drive, you can also mount the ISO in a virtual drive and copy it that way.
post #4392 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is a brutally long thread, so I may have missed some info... can anyone summarize the situation with external USB DVD/blu-ray drives and the NeoTV? We are thinking about supporting it in CQC, so I got one in. I have a Liteon blu/ray/DVD drive attacked via the USB and it's really problematic.

I have the latest beta firmware and the bdallow files in the SD card root. It will do ok with a single disc, though it's painfully slow to get started up. But it seldom survives trying to eject that one and load another. And it won't recognize DVDs at all for some reason. The drive is healthy and works fine on my development machine.

Obviously a core reason you'd use this box is to stream from disk, but asking people to rip rental discs just to watch them is a bit much, particularly blu-rays. We need to have support for just popping in a disc and watching it directly from there.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #4393 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Dean,
A Sony BDP-S480 retails 180usd so street probably lower. It has netflix/hulu+/iphone/3d plus many more features an ntv550 will never have. It will play all your optical dics without fail at the correct resolution/refresh rate/aspect ratio/colour depth/colour space, etc. Image quality will be far better as will reliability & ease of use.
You probably know where I'm getting with this. It makes absolutely no sense at all to use ntv550 for optical disk playback whether dvd/bd/cd/or other. Any other standalone device will do much better. What they won't do is play all your stored material which is where the ntv550 comes in. Each device has a purpose, but just fyi optical dvds won't work on the ntv550, only bds with the bdallow hack and playback won't come close to a standalone player as you've already discovered.
post #4394 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Wow, what a ride, I've read through (took me over a week) all the posts on this forum, amazing. I currently own a Patriot Home Box Office but alas it does not do blu ray menus and has the same problem mentioned many times here of stuttering the BR iso files over a network. which brings me to my question.. upon purchasing this NeoTV device, do I have to purchase a NAS with NFS (I'm still not sure I even know what that means) or since my router has a port for a network hard drive, can I just purchase an HD with an ethernet port, plug it in and enjoy my blu-ray isos over the network? I'd prefer a network solution as I'd like to be able to share my movies between two different TVs and not have to rely on a USB HD plugged into the media player.

Much thanks to the great information here and for those that have spent considerable time posting answers to questions.

Paul in WA
post #4395 of 6257 Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

For the time being, NFS is the prefered protocol for Bluray ISO streaming. NFS (Network file system) is a faster, more light-weight alternative to SMB (Server Message Block), the protocol used for file sharing in Windows networks, for example.

Most if not all modern NAS devices, which includes the "HD with an ethernet port" devices, support NFS. As long as they are fast enough to provide the necessary bandwidth for Bluray streaming (newer single drive NAS should (e.g. from Buffalo or Western Digital with a gigabit ethernet port), due to modern MIPS processors), you should be fine.

But don't forget that this currently is a Bluray ISO only issue. Bluray folder rips work fine, for example, even with SMB shares. You don't have to rip to ISO to keep the menus, they work fine with folder rips, too. This said, ISO streaming should work relaibly regardless, of course, no matter what protocol used. But I think that Netgear have acknowledged this and are working on it.

But still, if your NAS or server supports NFS, use it. It's more suitable to streaming due to less overhead. Even if Netgear fix the SMB issue, you won't lose anything by switching to NFS.
post #4396 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Since I have over 2000 discs in ISO format already, I'm not changing back to folders any time soon! However, I have tried to use NFS which is enabled on my Synology DS1010+ but have not figured how to use it on the 550. What do you put in the server and share fields after you have selected NFS? For instance, the server name is "Diskstation" and the share name is "video". There is a username and password for NAS server access. Do I enter that like I do for SMB?
post #4397 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member

As far as I recall it cannot be easier, once you established NFS share on your device, you just type in the host name, or in my case the IP address and then the share name, 550 figures out the rest, pretty neat if you ask me.

post #4398 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateauman View Post
Wow, what a ride, I've read through (took me over a week) all the posts on this forum, amazing. I currently own a Patriot Home Box Office but alas it does not do blu ray menus and has the same problem mentioned many times here of stuttering the BR iso files over a network. which brings me to my question.. upon purchasing this NeoTV device, do I have to purchase a NAS with NFS (I'm still not sure I even know what that means) or since my router has a port for a network hard drive, can I just purchase an HD with an ethernet port, plug it in and enjoy my blu-ray isos over the network? I'd prefer a network solution as I'd like to be able to share my movies between two different TVs and not have to rely on a USB HD plugged into the media player.

Much thanks to the great information here and for those that have spent considerable time posting answers to questions.

Paul in WA
Many routers don't have the performance to stream full BluRay, though some will likely work ok if you use folders. You can test the throughput with your PC, by timing a long file transfer from the router to the PC. Which router do you have?
post #4399 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM

How do I remove a media location that no longer exists? Clear Library?
post #4400 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
How do I remove a media location that no longer exists? Clear Library?
If you highlight the location you want to remove and hit the info (i) button you will get an option to delete it.
post #4401 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post
As far as I recall it cannot be easier, once you established NFS share on your device, you just type in the host name, or in my case the IP address and then the share name, 550 figures out the rest, pretty neat if you ask me.
If it is that easy, why won't it work for me

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=670

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=665

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=735

Perhaps some detailed instructions from you would help solve my problem.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4402 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

If you highlight the location you want to remove and hit the info (i) button you will get an option to delete it.

oh ok thanks
post #4403 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it is that easy, why won't it work for me

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=670

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=665

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=735

Perhaps some detailed instructions from you would help solve my problem.

Maybe it does have something to do with your EX490 setup. For a ReadyNAS, it was very easy to setup.

Perhaps this guide might help?

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...up-nfs-in-whs/

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #4404 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

Maybe it does have something to do with your EX490 setup. For a ReadyNAS, it was very easy to setup.

Perhaps this guide might help?

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...up-nfs-in-whs/

I used that guide and the EX490 now streams with NFS to my W7 desktop using the command:
mount -o anon \\\\HPSTORAGE\\shares * (the * auto selects the next available drive letter on the desktop)

The desktop shows all directories under \\shares from the WHS and I can select e.g videos and see all video categories and stream a selected video to the desktop using MPCHC, works lie a charm.

The problem is with the data entry on the Neo.
Selecting NFS and entering \\\\HPSTORAGE as the server and \\videos as the share name resutls in this entry on the Neo browser entry:
\\\\HPSTORAGE\\/videos. The Neo insists on adding the extra / and that results in "error can not access \\\\HPSTORAGE\\/videos"

\\\\HPSTORAGE/videos does not work either, the correct NFS syntax is as shown above with the mount command.

Have used the Info command in Media select to edit the syntax to no avail. There must be a solution that escapes me at the moment.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4405 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-B View Post

Many routers don't have the performance to stream full BluRay, though some will likely work ok if you use folders. You can test the throughput with your PC, by timing a long file transfer from the router to the PC. Which router do you have?

Hi Stephen, I have a Belkin N+ router F5D8235-4 In theory, my router, my PC and my 4-port switch all say they support gibabit ethernet,

If I can ask a dumb quesiton here, how do you burn to folders? My normal process is to use HDDVD FAB , then image burn to create an .iso Does burning to folders just mean leave it as is on my PC and don't create the .iso or is there another step there?

thank you!
Paul
post #4406 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Just installed this to see what the fuss is about.

SMB:
I was hitting exactly 85mbps with my useless onboard gb card (w7 x64). I had to disable a performance enhancing feature as the card would choke & lose connection. (nothing to do with the neo it did this before)
When running the network test using smb all my shares would fluctuate at the beginning starting from around 65mbps, then jumping to 71-78-82mbps and finally settling at 85mbps. Some shares would drop again, then go back up, etc., but mostly they all read 85mbps.

Why NFS?:
As I'm using folders even with smb I have never seen anything that even remotely resembles a stutter. Bd playback under testing was free of stutter. So why install NFS?
1) Because I can
2) I wanted to see 90+mbps (bragging rights)
3) I wanted to see what's this stability users rave about is
4) I had a hunch that since wol worked with nas and most nas use nfs, smb wol could be broken which is why I never managed to get it working

NFS:
1) Installed for free but said it'll work for 30 days then require registration? Need to read up on this. Setup was a breeze, one minute to install, another to add test share then it all went wrong. Luckily after some googling, 3 minutes later and after consulting with the w7 firewall all was well. 5 min setup not bad.
2) 78mbps on all shares so actually slower than smb, although my ill gb card is to blame so this is not a win for smb
3) Biggest surprise was here. All my shares 78mbps all the time, as if the reading was fake. Talk about stability. Thoroughly impressed & clearly surprised. Will never use smb again.
4) The final icing on the cake. wol worked without me changing anything. About 90% sure nfs did it although it might have been the new firmware or something else.

Conclusion.
Will be using nfs until further notice
post #4407 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used that guide and the EX490 now streams with NFS to my W7 desktop using the command:
mount -o anon \\\\HPSTORAGE\\shares * (the * auto selects the next available drive letter on the desktop)

The desktop shows all directories under \\shares from the WHS and I can select e.g videos and see all video categories and stream a selected video to the desktop using MPCHC, works lie a charm.

The problem is with the data entry on the Neo.
Selecting NFS and entering \\\\HPSTORAGE as the server and \\videos as the share name resutls in this entry on the Neo browser entry:
\\\\HPSTORAGE\\/videos. The Neo insists on adding the extra / and that results in "error can not access \\\\HPSTORAGE\\/videos"

\\\\HPSTORAGE/videos does not work either, the correct NFS syntax is as shown above with the mount command.

Have used the Info command in Media select to edit the syntax to no avail. There must be a solution that escapes me at the moment.

What happens if you just use the IP address of the WHS and the share name of video? Sorry if you've tried that before and posted in this thread. Maybe we should further troubleshoot this in the Netgear Neo forum.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #4408 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi Stephen, I have a Belkin N+ router F5D8235-4 In theory, my router, my PC and my 4-port switch all say they support gibabit ethernet,

If I can ask a dumb quesiton here, how do you burn to folders? My normal process is to use HDDVD FAB , then image burn to create an .iso Does burning to folders just mean leave it as is on my PC and don't create the .iso or is there another step there?

thank you!
Paul

Yep, just use the folders that DVDFab produces.
Btw, if you want an ISO, you don't need to go through first extracting to folders. DVDFab can extract directly to ISO (unless you want just the movie etc).
post #4409 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Hi Stephen, I have a Belkin N+ router F5D8235-4 In theory, my router, my PC and my 4-port switch all say they support gibabit ethernet,,, l

I was thinking about the router's USB file-sharing feature when I was talking about performance - per this http://www.pcworld.com/article/16432..._f5d82354.html review
Quote:

As often happens with shared USB drives, though, performance was poor. It's mainly useful for light file sharing, rather than for everyday network backup. You'll get far better throughput from a gigabit NAS drive.

You want to get 8-10 MB/s (60-80 megabits/sec) performance for BluRay, and it needs to keep up that rate though the entire movie. Some routers will deliver file-sharing at that performance level, but not all. Testing the file copy speed to your PC should give you some idea of whether your router's file sharing can hack it or not. If you are ok with command tools, robocopy is built into most Windows versions, and outputs the transfer speed, Or use a big file and a stopwatch.
Quote:

...If I can ask a dumb quesiton here, how do you burn to folders? My normal process is to use HDDVD FAB , then image burn to create an .iso Does burning to folders just mean leave it as is on my PC and don't create the .iso or is there another step there?

thank you!
Paul

Yes- if you just skip the ImgBurn step, you have the folder structure. With the NTV, you can select the folder and press play, that will load the BluRay.

Folders are a bit easier for the NTV, since it doesn't have to parse through the ISO. I think they are a bit less intuitive to navigate, since if you browse into the folder you'll see lots of stuff. But if you are using SMB file sharing, you definitely don't want BluRay ISOs right now, they only play well with NFS.
post #4410 of 6257 Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Yep, just use the folders that DVDFab produces.
Btw, if you want an ISO, you don't need to go through first extracting to folders. DVDFab can extract directly to ISO (unless you want just the movie etc).

Thanks, I'm learning something everyday here I'll give this a try and test it out, so via my media player, I would just point to the video_ts folder and it will know what to do? And, when I purchase the NeoTV it will, assuming I burn the full disc and not just the main movie, be able to identify the menu ?

thanks again!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page