Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

I think the original question was "how is it setup initially".

point taken, mis-read the question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Well, the first Dune Smart series units are now landing in customer hands and I am getting antsy. I had hopes that NeoTV 550's would start showing up for preorder at places like Amazon and Fry's by now given the anticipated release date of Oct. 31. Does anybody think that the lack of any place to preorder, other than from Netgear, suggests a release date much later than Oct. 31?

Has anybody recently placed a preorder with Netgear and, if so, what anticipated release date was reported in your confirmation email?

Any other tea leaves that can be read to discern a true release date?

Thanks!

-Mike
post #453 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The Neo 550 will begin shipping early December in the US. Netgear is finalizing the software and adding improved online content. Initially the units will be available in Frys and Amazon.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.
post #454 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Will the 550 play DVD ISO's?
In searching for a ripping program, I read on one of the sites that you shouldn't rip DVD's to ISO for some reason? Different copy protections or something.... don't know & don't care since I have no intent on "copying", I just want to archive and basically I want the very simplest to use solution, both in ripping and playback...

The 550 will playback DVD iso files as well as standard rip files.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #455 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The Neo 550 will begin shipping early December in the US. Netgear is finalizing the software and adding improved online content. Initially the units will be available in Frys and Amazon.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.

October 31st and now early December what gives, now i have to wait longer that sucks.
post #456 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.

I do appreciate being up front with the dates, though that news does rather suck. Would rather have it come out clean and right and ready to rock than fight at home with updates and problems though.

Thanks for the news Bob.

Excess Energy in everything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #457 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Bummer, Bob! But thanks for the quick response.

-Mike
post #458 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.

Does this release date also apply to Canada? There don't appear to be any major retail outlets for Netgear's av products. Is Netflix a sure thing?

philip
post #459 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM

December!?!?!?

Netgear was taking pre-orders with an expected arrival date of October 31st. I suspect a lot of people, myself included, will be canceling if it is going to be delayed that long.
post #460 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post

December!?!?!?

Netgear was taking pre-orders with an expected arrival date of October 31st. I suspect a lot of people, myself included, will be canceling if it is going to be delayed that long.

Really? Of course, it is your right to cancel for any reason you want. But, is 4 weeks really that long? I'm disappointed too, but it isn't a long delay. What if the original preorder date was Dec. 1 or late November, would you have cancelled then?
The only competitor that I see is the Dune series, and in my opinion, I'd rather wait a bit longer and save 50 bucks, get netflix (an other online content, which is a reason for the delay) and get a much better UI (my personal opinion).
In any case, I doubt there were many preorders to lose since they really haven't started hyping this thing to the public yet.
post #461 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Good for you. I have Netflix and other online content on my Blu-Ray player and on my TV. To answer your question, though, I wouldn't have pre-ordered if the release date had said December or end of November. I'm sure there will be plenty available when it eventually does come out so there's no need for me to have paid for it three months in advance.
post #462 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good for you. I have Netflix and other online content on my Blu-Ray player and on my TV. To answer your question, though, I wouldn't have pre-ordered if the release date had said December or end of November. I'm sure there will be plenty available when it eventually does come out so there's no need for me to have paid for it three months in advance.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Your post makes it sound like they charged you for it already. Did they? That would be ridiculous, and I would understand being angry at the delay. They shouldn't charge you until it ships!
post #463 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Your post makes it sound like they charged you for it already. Did they? That would be ridiculous, and I would understand being angry at the delay. They shouldn't charge you until it ships!

Yes and no. They authorized the charge which, because it's a PayPal debit card, comes out of the account. Since it never really was "charged" though it expired after a while and my account was credited. I might still pick one up when it's released depending on what happens with Boxee. I was just hoping to have it in a few weeks not a few months.
post #464 of 6253 Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I hear you. I'm really interested in seeing how the boxeebox turns out. I preordered one, but cancelled when it became clear that full support for BD ISO files wouldn't be included at launch. I hope it turns out well, and I'm rooting for it, but right now the best pure media playback box for my needs is the 550.

I'm hoping in a year or so boxee and google tv will have advanced enough that I'll move on to them (note: I'm not criticizing these, they just don't offer the robust local media playback of the 550 yet, and that is my main desire).
post #465 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 AM

Hi everyone,
It support IP TV?
post #466 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:

It will be in all Countrys in December,the reason for delay is the Exterior Design was changed and a few minor hardware changes,plus more time to Tweak before release date,been testing a 550 for a few months now and its a great piece of kit,must take my hat of to Netgear for really listening to testers and putting time and money into getting this as perfect as can be for release,there are still a few issues,playing back multi m2ts files is a problem to be resolved very soon,Bd iso/BDMV playback is a joy..and the best exprience of any current player,as for the Dune plyers the new ones have priced themselves out of the market im afriad,they just are not worth the money there asking,HDI need a rethink.Asus,Boxee & Netgear have intresting holiday season offerings to come.different approaches to of course,but the Netgear 550 NeoTV is a very very strong contender for your money.

Talas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #467 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by talas View Post

as for the Dune plyers the new ones have priced themselves out of the market im afriad,they just are not worth the money there asking,HDI need a rethink.

Talas

Did I miss a box from some other company that is shipping today that plays everything reliably (including all 7.1 audio formats and BD ISO with full menus) for significantly less than $250? (vs $239 for the Dune H1 or $255 for the D1?)

(I'm seriously asking, because if one exists I'm very interested... it's why I've followed this thread since I've hoped the Netgear box would be that... Boxee is looking like it won't be sadly (no BD-ISO menus at least)
post #468 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by talas View Post

must take my hat of to Netgear for really listening to testers and putting time and money into getting this as perfect as can be for release,there are still a few issues,playing back multi m2ts files is a problem to be resolved very soon,

Could you clarify, please, what you mean by "multi m2ts files"? Are you saying there is a problem with playback of "seamless branching" titles? Is this from a BD.iso and/or BDMV folder structure?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #469 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Bob, what is the expected ship date for the Netgear XAVB5001 Powerline Adapter and WNHDB3004 Wireless Home Theater Networking Kit? I'm mulling using one or both of these with a media streamer to stream 1080p content.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #470 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Did I miss a box from some other company that is shipping today that plays everything reliably (including all 7.1 audio formats and BD ISO with full menus) for significantly less than $250? (vs $239 for the Dune H1 or $255 for the D1?)

I guess what he means is that the Neo 550 is the first player to offer full BD support and crack the $200 price point. Also because it is NetGear it will probably be offered from a large selection of on-line Etailers at a discount off list (maybe not initially, but give it a month). We have a number of 550 beta testers here telling us the Neo 550 lives up to the specs. The new Dunes are just starting to get into the hands of the users so reports should be coming in soon as to whether or not they will, in fact, perform as well as the old. Assuming they do, I don't see what the new Dunes will offer over the 550 to command a price premium. Time will tell, once all these boxes are in the hands of enough early adopters.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #471 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Could you clarify, please, what you mean by "multi m2ts files"? Are you saying there is a problem with playback of "seamless branching" titles? Is this from a BD.iso and/or BDMV folder structure?

BDMV Pardon me for lack of clarity and this nearlly fixed,so it will NOT be a problem hopefully when december comes,Netgears scraping software is coming up to scartch to,so youll have a choice Between My Movies or the Netgear Tagger/Scraper for your Posters/Movie Covers.Will update with a few pictures soon here and at MPW.

Talas

post #472 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Bob, what is the expected ship date for the Netgear XAVB5001 Powerline Adapter and WNHDB3004 Wireless Home Theater Networking Kit? I'm mulling using one or both of these with a media streamer to stream 1080p content.

The WNHDB3004 is already in the hands of the reviewers. (More info here).

The above review says mid-November for the wireless kit.

The powerline kit will be a bit later, I guess. No hard info yet, except for the late October / early November in their original press release. Will let Bob handle this

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #473 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks... hope that means your review is coming up shortly . 60Mbps and no dropouts (based on smallnetbuilder.com's preview you linked) sounds great for the WNHDB3004. Should finally be possibe to wirelessly stream 1:1 lossless 1080p Blu-ray streams. Hope the WNHDB3004 gets released soon.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #474 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
get netflix (an other online content, which is a reason for the delay)

online content is the reason for the delay?

that makes NO SINCE.
post #475 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM

i know it's been asked before, but I'm gonna ask again. I beg the beta testers for a bit of info:

Can this do 23.976Hz? I ask because my current realtek box only does 24.000Hz so I see the dreaded 41.6second bug where a frame is repeated at that time interval.

The beta testers have been really good and answered other questions, but not this one. It's important to me
post #476 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi guys, I'm new at MEdia Servers but trying to learn fast. Spent some time at CEDIA looking at what was available besides Kalidescape.

Will this (or any) of these media servers do what I call "source direct" video AND audio? That is , stream the original encoded video, untouched. Not scaled, no YCbCr to RGB conversion, no video level to PC level conversion, just output what's there. For example 480i from a standard DVD, and 24p from an 24p encoded blu ray image. And of course lossless audio streams?

AS far as I can tell Dune wont', at least for now, I saw a comment about this upcoming box that indicated it might. I've read a lot of the thread and saw where it was asked, but didn't find the answer.

As my signature shows, I'm particular about my video and I'd rather have my high end Radiance Video Processor do all my video processing. I just need a friendly media server for my DVD and Blu-Rays (ripped to a storage device). Other media and whole house distribution would be icing on the cake.

post #477 of 6253 Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Question for beta testers can the 550 mark or check mark a video file as being watched, so when i'm watching tv episodes i know which one to watch the day after or later on and what eps i have watched already.
post #478 of 6253 Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Hi guys, I'm new at MEdia Servers but trying to learn fast. Spent some time at CEDIA looking at what was available besides Kalidescape.

Will this (or any) of these media servers do what I call "source direct" video AND audio? That is , stream the original encoded video, untouched. Not scaled, no YCbCr to RGB conversion, no video level to PC level conversion, just output what's there. For example 480i from a standard DVD, and 24p from an 24p encoded blu ray image. And of course lossless audio streams?

AS far as I can tell Dune wont', at least for now, I saw a comment about this upcoming box that indicated it might. I've read a lot of the thread and saw where it was asked, but didn't find the answer.

As my signature shows, I'm particular about my video and I'd rather have my high end Radiance Video Processor do all my video processing. I just need a friendly media server for my DVD and Blu-Rays (ripped to a storage device). Other media and whole house distribution would be icing on the cake.

It currently does not but this option has been requested by the beta testers. Unfortunatly there seems to be many logistical reasons why they believe it can't be done. Simple passthrough was apparently not an option. The thread in the beta forum got way over my head so I'm afraid that is all I can tell you.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #479 of 6253 Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

Question for beta testers can the 550 mark or check mark a video file as being watched, so when i'm watching tv episodes i know which one to watch the day after or later on and what eps i have watched already.

This option does not currently exist, but has been requested. At current, it will only show you your "new" media. As beta testers, we sometimes get what we ask for.

post #480 of 6253 Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao View Post

i know it's been asked before, but I'm gonna ask again. I beg the beta testers for a bit of info:

Can this do 23.976Hz? I ask because my current realtek box only does 24.000Hz so I see the dreaded 41.6second bug where a frame is repeated at that time interval.

The beta testers have been really good and answered other questions, but not this one. It's important to me

All I can tell you is I'm pretty sure it does. Most my DVDs are NTSC and are 23.976 and I've never seen this 41.6second bug you mentioned. In theory, with AUTO FPS, it should handle both 23.976 and 24.000

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page