post #4771 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

Same here new 4g card formatted by the Neo, use as cache for photo and BD without any problem.

Although never managed to get BD Live working for some reasons not that it matters that much. Anyone has any clue how to get BD Live working? I enabled it through the BD menu.

The Neo is finnicky. It took a couple of ejects and re-inserts to get the SD
card to be recognized and then it took a couple of more for BD Live to start
working... It finally started working, but on the one BD I tried it was slow
and not very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

I'm glad some of you have had no problems with using an SD card for image caching, but I too, have never been able to get it to work. I'll try the advise from the above quote, because the thumbnail display is a little slow. It's not horrible though even without the SD card. It's just not instantaneous.
post #4773 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Same here new 4g card formatted by the Neo, use as cache for photo and BD without any problem.

Although never managed to get BD Live working for some reasons not that it matters that much. Anyone has any clue how to get BD Live working? I enabled it through the BD menu.

Glad to hear some of you have it working. Can I ask how you formatted the SD card? FAT/FAT32 etc, or through the NTV? Are you sure it's using the local cache?? If you look at the contents of the SD card, is there a TAGCACHE.DAT file on there? What firmware are you running?
post #4774 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I need some help big time.
I have a dlink 321 nas and when I plug the netgear directly to it I get 55-70Mb test.
I take both of these and plug them into a trendnet gigabit S8 switch and my transfers drop to 17-22Mb test and stuttering on the movies.
Last try was going to my gigabit router with both same thing 20-22Mb on the test and stuttering on all movies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?
post #4775 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

Yeah like you said we probably ain't missing much

post #4776 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

Glad to hear some of you have it working. Can I ask how you formatted the SD card? FAT/FAT32 etc, or through the NTV? Are you sure it's using the local cache?? If you look at the contents of the SD card, is there a TAGCACHE.DAT file on there? What firmware are you running?

Touch wood this part has always work for me from the beginning. Although I needed to reinsert the 4G card once to have the Neo recognized it's presence. Anyway I formatted the card with the Neo, now on 324 FW, will check the file to see if it is there.

I suspect some units might be having physical contact issues.

post #4777 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I need some help big time.
I have a dlink 321 nas and when I plug the netgear directly to it I get 55-70Mb test.
I take both of these and plug them into a trendnet gigabit S8 switch and my transfers drop to 17-22Mb test and stuttering on the movies.
Last try was going to my gigabit router with both same thing 20-22Mb on the test and stuttering on all movies.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Some mentioned GB switch could be the issue, buffer overrun, etc, I am also changing to MB types switches to see if it makes any difference.

post #4778 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM

I've been trying to add my synology 1511+ to the NeoTv for a few days now and have had no luck. Can anyone give me any advice on how to manually add the server to the neotv media locations?
post #4779 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM

When is netflix coming?? There are still a few issues with smb streaming. Files play fine on my popcorn a-110 and with NFS.

Why do movies play fast with smb and take like 10seconds to start or startup play again after fast forward or jumping to a scene??
post #4780 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I tested the different switches. An old linksys router 10/100 and I get 50 to 70Mb thruput.

Is this a problem with the nas or the netgear?

I would like to know if this shows up on all gigabit switches even ones by netgear?
I have tried 3 and they all fail. But I don't have a netgear and I will be getting something besides this 550 if it works on a netgear switch only.
post #4781 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
I tested the different switches. An old linksys router 10/100 and I get 50 to 70Mb thruput.

Is this a problem with the nas or the netgear?

I would like to know if this shows up on all gigabit switches even ones by netgear?
I have tried 3 and they all fail. But I don't have a netgear and I will be getting something besides this 550 if it works on a netgear switch only.
I have the NeoTV550 and my unRAID server plugged into a TrendNet TEG-S80G switch and it works great.

Still Learning
post #4782 of 6246 Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Some mentioned GB switch could be the issue, buffer overrun, etc, I am also changing to MB types switches to see if it makes any difference.
These problems with switches are puzzling.
I have 3 Airlink 1 Gb switches purchased from Fry's on sale ~ 6 to 8 years ago.
1 5 port and 2 8 port ~$30 for the 8 port switches.

WHS > NG 3700 Gb switch > 100 feet cat 6 > 8 port Airlink Gb switch > Neo550 > iScan Duo > display.
The Neo on FW 309 reports ~ 80 Mbs and streams BDMV, iso, mkv without stutter.

All 8 ports on the Airlink switch are used although only 2 or 3 are active at any given time but have never experienced any problems with these.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #4783 of 6246 Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I have the NeoTV550 and my unRAID server plugged into a TrendNet TEG-S80G switch and it works great.

I have a TrendNet TEG-S50G ==>100ft of Cat6==>Belkin 8235 router==>Realtek GB NIC and do not have stuttering issues (FW324 & FW322). Currently the source file is on a USB drive into Win7 (SMB) but my Netgear NV+ NAS is due to arrive today so hopefully that will not change. My network test on the NEO varies from 45MB - 85MB and does seem to jump around early in the test (could be the USB though).

I did use a D-Link DES1005e (10/100) on FW308 and experienced stuttering but that was more likely the FW. Standard DVD's have always worked fine.
post #4784 of 6246 Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

Not to raise any false hopes but as mentioned a few post ago I have been fighting this SD card thing for weeks. Since the discussion came up again I decided to try once more. For whatever reason(s), it worked this time.

Formatted a PNY 4GB Class 4 SD card on my WIN7 PC with FAT32 (4K) and plugged it in to the NEO, fired up the NEO and cleared the library, changed the cache location from my thumb drive to the SD card, did a complete power off (not standby), and restarted. I rescanned for media and populated the media wall. Everything seemed fine so I powered down and pulled the SD card & the tagcache file is there. Works just fine. Firmware 324.

The other 20+ attempts with 4 different cards & 3 different format types didn't work. As a matter of fact the now working PNY card was tried unsuccessfully at least five times in the past. I can only assume it must have been the recent daylight savings change
post #4785 of 6246 Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

Not to raise any false hopes but as mentioned a few post ago I have been fighting this SD card thing for weeks. Since the discussion came up again I decided to try once more. For whatever reason(s), it worked this time.

Formatted a PNY 4GB Class 4 SD card on my WIN7 PC with FAT32 (4K) and plugged it in to the NEO, fired up the NEO and cleared the library, changed the cache location from my thumb drive to the SD card, did a complete power off (not standby), and restarted. I rescanned for media and populated the media wall. Everything seemed fine so I powered down and pulled the SD card & the tagcache file is there. Works just fine. Firmware 324.

The other 20+ attempts with 4 different cards & 3 different format types didn't work. As a matter of fact the now working PNY card was tried unsuccessfully at least five times in the past. I can only assume it must have been the recent daylight savings change

I could only say the SD card slot is very finicky, trying to confirm whether it was doing it's job I took my 4G card out, inserted it back in, walla, the Neo could no longer find it, no matter how many times I reinserted it, shut down, unplug and power back up didn't help. I tried another 1G card on hand with FAT formatting .... It showed up !! So figuring I had nothing to loose, I also formatted the 4G card in FAT, inserted it back in, walla again it's there! The strange thing was it could not be formatted by the Neo which again said it was not there, after some more reinserting it came back and I was able to format it within Neo. Had absolutely no idea what happened but I am glad it is working again

post #4786 of 6246 Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

These problems with switches are puzzling.
I have 3 Airlink 1 Gb switches purchased from Fry's on sale ~ 6 to 8 years ago.
1 5 port and 2 8 port ~$30 for the 8 port switches.

WHS > NG 3700 Gb switch > 100 feet cat 6 > 8 port Airlink Gb switch > Neo550 > iScan Duo > display.
The Neo on FW 309 reports ~ 80 Mbs and streams BDMV, iso, mkv without stutter.

All 8 ports on the Airlink switch are used although only 2 or 3 are active at any given time but have never experienced any problems with these.

Since I use homeplug between the NAS and Neo it might not be applicable. For the whole streaming issue I bought a LevelOne 200mb homeplug 4 port 100mb switch for the NAS, added a LevelOne mb switch in front of the Neo, the result? No difference whatsoever, still stuttering mainly I believe because of the low and inconsistent speed hovering no more than 45Mb, so I'm done with spending any more time and money on streaming and will just play BD ISOs from an attached USB enclosure and be done with it, while keep streaming for DVD ISOs only.

post #4787 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

are there 2 different cache locations; one for BD stuff, and one for images, or is it all under one umbrella called BD cache?
post #4788 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

breadvan I am about to give up as well. I can only assume that this is something with the neo and how it is trying to transfer files. No other device/computer I have has any problems with transfers.

I think it was the 283 that came out in december and I can play mkv's fine but the same movie as a bd directory dump or iso is unwatchable.

Now with the 308 and 324 nothing plays
post #4789 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah let's get back to using it for fun, only so much we could do .

post #4790 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr
are there 2 different cache locations; one for BD stuff, and one for images, or is it all under one umbrella called BD cache?
You could point both to the same location.

post #4791 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
gsj

- Avatar shows red screen indicating my blu-ray player needs to be updated
- One day a Movie plays perfect, the next it suffers dropouts
- Network has been checked / changed
- Neo settings have been checked changed (ie Auto FPS, blu-ray cache, etc, etc, etc)
- I've even connected the Neo directly to my WHS.

Mount the .iso over the network to my PC using Virtual Clonedrive and my .iso's play fine including Avatar which just won't play at all on the Neo. Heck I even tried this over Wireless for the fun of it, and although there are dropouts, it at least played Avatar and the delays were very small. Over Wireless to my PC which I know will never work well. Talk about being disillusioned with the Neo!

I rip everything using AnyDVD and ImgBurn (as suggested on this forum)...

I've wasted so many hours testing, etc telling the family it will be ready soon...

This device is far from ready for prime time and all I wanted was blu-ray playback with menus...

I hate to say it, because I had such high hopes for the Neo, but if you're thinking about purchasing one, I would hold off.

I'm stubborn so I may try a few more things, but I think it's time to put it back in the box for awhile and see if (when) things might get fixed.

No matter what anyone else tells you, there ARE problems with consistency with the Neo. Do your due diligence when testing, but don't be in denial if you believe it is a problem with the Neo. If you know your setup inside and out ie network, server, traces, bandwidth being used, etc, etc, because you've been troubleshooting problems, and there are still problems, you've arrived at the point where the Neo IS the problem.

Sorry for such a negative post...

UPDATE: March 27th 2011

I have to eat some humble pie. As I stated I'm stubborn and I did go back and do some more extensive testing. Bottom line is I still have problems with Avatar (which I can live with), however, since turning on FLOW CONTROL on my switch, all of my other movies are rock solid (including Star Trek 2009).

Here's my setup:
- SMCGS24C-Smart - 24 port Gig switch (flow control now enabled on ports that connect to NeoTV and WHS (Flow Control was NOT enabled and this is what was causing the problem)
- WHS EX485 (Flow Control turned on - this is the default)
- Neo running latest .325
- I use .iso
- I rip using AnyDVD (rip to image) and ImgBurn/AnyDVD
- I have some older blu-ray Rip to folder which also work
- Pioneer VSX-520
- Samsung PN58C590 Plasma
- HDMI connectivity
- I have my audio set to Bitstream passthrough on NeoTV
- I'm not currently using AutoFPS (but will go back to that)
- Image cache set
- Blu-ray Cache not used

I am truly happy to report this update. I really want the NeoTV to work and it now is (except for Avatar)

Kudos to the developers, this thread, and StephenB who provided consistent and repeated information regarding Flow Control.
post #4792 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsj View Post

- Neo settings have been checked changed (ie Auto FPS, blu-ray cache, etc, etc, etc)

Mount the .iso over the network to my PC using Virtual Clonedrive and my .iso's play fine including Avatar which just won't play at all on the Neo. Heck I even tried this over Wireless for the fun of it, and although there are dropouts, it at least played Avatar and the delays were very small. Over Wireless to my PC which I know will never work well. Talk about being disillusioned with the Neo!

I've wasted so many hours testing, etc telling the family it will be ready soon...

This device is far from ready for prime time and all I wanted was blu-ray playback with menus...

I hate to say it, because I had such high hopes for the Neo, but if you're thinking about purchasing one, I would hold off.

I'm stubborn so I may try a few more things, but I think it's time to put it back in the box for awhile and see if (when) things might get fixed.

No matter what anyone else tells you, there ARE problems with consistency with the Neo. Do your due diligence when testing, but don't be in denial if you believe it is a problem with the Neo. If you know your setup inside and out ie network, server, traces, bandwidth being used, etc, etc, because you've been troubleshooting problems, and there are still problems, you've arrived at the point where the Neo IS the problem.

Get a Dune
post #4793 of 6246 Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM

I'm afraid I agree with you. Problem is - I already bought 3 of the darn things.
post #4794 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:

damn and i was thinking of getting one of these,might have to wait or pick up a popcorn hour a210 and rip the tv shows into seprate files
post #4795 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had some initial problems but was able to get it to work almost perfectly, and I'm certainly no computer wiz. One thing I noticed you said you use Anydvdhd and then imageburn. I don't use image burn. I only use Anydvdhd and then right click on icon in bottom try and rip to image. That gives me and iso that networks without a hiccup from my internal hard drive on my pc. My office pc is 2 rooms away and i ran an ethernet cable. Normal SMB not nfs.
post #4796 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

I think gsj nailed the biggest headache, i.e., consistency in terms of user experience. things as simple as sd card slot could become hit and miss for some and a breeze for others for example.

Fortunately using an attached USB drive my Neo, with 324 FW is essentially 'as advertised' playing both DVD and BD ISOs, I will forget about streaming partially because of my own slow homeplugged network.

I am not sure if I am right but Avatar should probably be one of the most 'hard to play well' movies, I haven't tried it myself, may be it's time!

post #4797 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm using firmware 324. I use to have severe Blu-Ray stuttering using WHS (SMB) but now it's completely gone. Others have reported the same success. I believe your issue is outside of the Neo 550. I can't speak about Avatar as I don't have it on Blu-Ray.

What are the results when you run Settings->Network->Network Test?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #4798 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

gsj I agree with you completely

They seem to have brought out something in dec that was going to be released in oct. BUT it is hit and miss with network, sd and usb drives.
They have released nothing but beta patches fixing one thing and breaking 3.
And 4 months later its no better then when it was released at least for me.

USB click drives, I have tried 4 and none of them can be used for firmware updates. But I can put it on a usb hd and no problems.

SD is marginal I guess until you find one that the unit can play with.

Networking. I have been thru 3 gigabit routers/switches and none work with the damn thing. I have tried 2 10/100 routers/switches and both are able to watch a movie.

So overall this thing was not ready for prime time at release and no better 4 months later.
post #4799 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM

I don't want to discount others' issues but for me the NeoTV works great. I have all my movies ripped to an HP EX485 in their native format, both DVD & Bluray. TV shows and series are ISO and I only have DVD of those no Bruray ISO. I use the ISO for TV so I can put all the files in a common folder by series and it makes the movie wall function better. When I test the network I consistantly get 82mb. The network is SMB not NFS. The EX485 and the NeoTV both are wired to a D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit Desktop Switch. I don't see stutter. I had problems with the movie wall graphics when I was running FW275 and had a 4gb SDHC card. I changed to a 2gb SD card at the same time as I went to went to FW308. All the graphic problems went away. I don't know which change was the fix. When I get time I will put the old card back and test. My audio is just currently output to the TV or an old stereo. I am a simple setup but it works.
post #4800 of 6246 Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post

I too am using 325 on a WHS and am ripping to ISO's with 99% of ripped movies playing flawlessly - only two HD DVD's so far have stutter - unless copied to USB stick and plugged into NTV550.

Clown BD / Imgburn is what I am using to create the ISO's.

Mike

The Bourne Identity HDDVD arrived yesterday and was converted to bdmv and then to iso. No stutter with Identity.iso or Supremacy.iso or Ultimatum.iso for that matter. This over SMB and FW .309.

My post here maybe of interest to you, it has some details on my network setup.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3470

I have also found that the 550 is more reliable if it is powered off rather than standby. In many instances the Neo locks up if on standby for say 12 hours.

The Neo web interface is also more reliable and I use it to do a restart from the settings/system page. This will in most cases allow a restart even if the Neo does not respond to powering on from the remote.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page