Netgear NeoTV 550 - Page 195 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5821 of 6257 Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my canon hd camcorder files play fine on my neo. its the VIXIA HF M41.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 6257 Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

my canon hd camcorder files play fine on my neo. its the VIXIA HF M41.

Thanks but not my files, and afraid I'm not the first one with my problem, somewhere in this thread another poster had the same issue.

post #5823 of 6257 Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

That's probably one of my biggest disappointment for the 550 as well but glad to know now that the WD can play Canon files.

Can you advise in particular whether it will play 1080P .mov files from Canon 5D2? I have taken quite a lot of these but have no way to play them easily and my PC is too slow, so if the WD, or other media players can play these files I just might get one for this purpose. Thanks.

No, I can't speak for the 5D2. I have the T2i and a 700IS.

More issues with the Neo.. Seems after being off for a while the thing crashes as I need to completely power cycle it use it again. Maybe it's outputting something weird over the HDMI - I don't know.

Played a couple completely different MKVs and experienced intermittent purple flashes (split second) and video drop outs (3 seconds) throughout.
Haven't tried playing these videos again... And I did turn off HDMI deep color as recommended. Most stuff I've played has been OK though...

I browse by folders and sometimes when I go back a folder I'm not at the same place I entered.

Getting harder to live with all these annoyances! Firmware update PLEASE!
post #5824 of 6257 Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggle View Post

No, I can't speak for the 5D2. I have the T2i and a 700IS.

More issues with the Neo.. Seems after being off for a while the thing crashes as I need to completely power cycle it use it again. Maybe it's outputting something weird over the HDMI - I don't know.

Played a couple completely different MKVs and experienced intermittent purple flashes (split second) and video drop outs (3 seconds) throughout.
Haven't tried playing these videos again... And I did turn off HDMI deep color as recommended. Most stuff I've played has been OK though...

I browse by folders and sometimes when I go back a folder I'm not at the same place I entered.

Getting harder to live with all these annoyances! Firmware update PLEASE!

HA! Every time I see this thread bumped up I think "NEW FIRMWARE!!" and check in...
post #5825 of 6257 Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 AM

I have just received my Neotv550 and am trying to activate the DLNA function. I can't seem to find the setting to turn it on.
Can someone enlighten me?
I have tried using Twonky and 8Player and neither shows the Neotv550 device, the other player devices such as my Samsung tv do show up.

Thanks,
Eddy
post #5826 of 6257 Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeahearts View Post

I have just received my Neotv550 and am trying to activate the DLNA function. I can't seem to find the setting to turn it on.
Can someone enlighten me?
I have tried using Twonky and 8Player and neither shows the Neotv550 device, the other player devices such as my Samsung tv do show up.

Thanks,
Eddy

Don't bother. The DLNA function does not work. Moreover it causes problems for many folks just to have it enabled.
post #5827 of 6257 Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Just to remind those of you who haven't got a chance to try Jaime Burchell's remote control app, finally got to test it tonight, excellent and snappy almost even more so than the 5050 remote. Highly recommended.

http://www.jamieburchell.com/neotv/

post #5828 of 6257 Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

Don't bother. The DLNA function does not work. Moreover it causes problems for many folks just to have it enabled.

I wouldn't go that far. Anyway you have to hit the aA key on the remote to see all your servers. Then you should be able to see all the DLNA servers on your network. I know TVersity works as does Windows media center and PlayON. I haven't tested any others. The one thing that I do find DLNA to be useful for is transcoding home video. Most of the video I have is jpeg which the Neo doesn't support. If you have a fast computer it can transcode on the fly. I'm thinking about trying Mezzmo for this because TVersity makes it tough to customize for a device. You can read the review on SmallNetBuilder.com.

Alan
post #5829 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 AM

Thanks... I got DLNA to work now. I haven't seen any major problems but I'm just using it for music currently...
The only thing I noticed was it doesn't list of my m4p files ( with or without dlna). I also have a Dune D1 which has the
same problem. Someone told me it was due to Apple's drm not allowing the file to be played on devices other than their own.
Weird since I can play them with MonkeyMedia, Songbird, VLC, etc on Windows or Linux...
Eddy
post #5830 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Everyone,

As I monitored this thread I saw a few questions about future Netgear support and firmware updates. There will be one more firmware update from Netgear for the 550. The 550 has been officially end of life but Netgear is still committed to the support of the product. I would expect to see this latest firmware update within the next 90 days. I do not have a list of fixes to pass on though.

I would expect that this will probably be the last update on this product. Netgear has fixed many of the issues that users were asking for. Although I am sure there are outstanding issues some users face most have been resolved. And from my own experiences my 550 operate quite well now.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #5831 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Just to remind those of you who haven't got a chance to try Jaime Burchell's remote control app, finally got to test it tonight, excellent and snappy almost even more so than the 5050 remote. Highly recommended.

http://www.jamieburchell.com/neotv/

Anyone know of any Android options?
post #5832 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Hi Everyone,

As I monitored this thread I saw a few questions about future Netgear support and firmware updates. There will be one more firmware update from Netgear for the 550. The 550 has been officially end of life but Netgear is still committed to the support of the product. I would expect to see this latest firmware update within the next 90 days. I do not have a list of fixes to pass on though.

I would expect that this will probably be the last update on this product. Netgear has fixed many of the issues that users were asking for. Although I am sure there are outstanding issues some users face most have been resolved. And from my own experiences my 550 operate quite well now.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

I agree with you Bob, I just wish they had revamped the UI. It's usable, but really crude. I can't understand why their interfaces have been so bad. They would have been better off porting XBMC to the Neo.
post #5833 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

. . . There will be one more firmware update from Netgear for the 550. . . I would expect to see this latest firmware update within the next 90 days.

Thanks, Bob.

That means we could expect the February firmware update by February 103rd.

I don't mind, as my optimistic point of view is that the more time that it takes, the more bugs that can be fixed and the more thorough the testing can be.
post #5834 of 6257 Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Is there a follow-on product in the works? It would be shame if there weren't another product to take it's place.
post #5835 of 6257 Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@bobsilver
Can you find out whether source direct made the cut?
A simple Yes or No will suffice.
TIA
post #5836 of 6257 Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

@bobsilver
Can you find out whether source direct made the cut?
A simple Yes or No will suffice.
TIA

HA! I can only wish. I will give 10 to one on this that the answer is no even though we all asked for it. There were simply too many other things that needed to be worked on. I would love to be proven wrong though..
post #5837 of 6257 Old 02-25-2012, 12:21 AM

Can someone tell me....

Does the latest firmware of the Netgear NeoTV 550 have Cinavia detection on Blu-ray ISO's?
post #5838 of 6257 Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Can someone tell me....

Does the latest firmware of the Netgear NeoTV 550 have Cinavia detection on Blu-ray ISO's?

I can assure you that the NeoTV 550 will definitely NOT have Cinavia in any firmware because they have dropped pursuit of BDA certification / it is not an official AACS licensed device.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #5839 of 6257 Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

Can someone tell me....

Can someone tell me of a streamer whose main purpose is to stream blu ray iso's and other media that DOES have Cinavia?
post #5840 of 6257 Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm having trouble with playing bluray isos that I've ripped using anydvd. I've noticed this since I replaced an HP Mediasmart lx195 with a netgear readynas ultra plus. I'm not sure if the server change is related or not. The bluray iso plays and video is fine, but no audio. Once that happens, to get audio on other things requires a power cycle of the ntv 550. Any ideas?
post #5841 of 6257 Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Received a response from Netgear 2nd level technical support saying the product is EOL and there will be no more firmware updates. Hopefully BobSilver has a reliable source.
post #5842 of 6257 Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggle View Post

Received a response from Netgear 2nd level technical support saying the product is EOL and there will be no more firmware updates. Hopefully BobSilver has a reliable source.

Definately not buying one then. At least you won't have to worry about Cinavia.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5843 of 6257 Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM

I have anydvd running in background and I tried using it to rip a bluray iso to my readynas for playback on my neotv 550. Video is fine, but no audio.

Then I tried using imgburn with default settings to rip to iso with anydvd still in background. Still great video but no audio.

Can anybody give me an idea what could be wrong?
post #5844 of 6257 Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

It is your audio settings set them all to deocde to lpcm
post #5845 of 6257 Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblum View Post

I have anydvd running in background and I tried using it to rip a bluray iso to my readynas for playback on my neotv 550. Video is fine, but no audio.

Then I tried using imgburn with default settings to rip to iso with anydvd still in background. Still great video but no audio.

Can anybody give me an idea what could be wrong?

Have you tried playing the same ISO on a pc to verify the ISO itself?

post #5846 of 6257 Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

It is your audio settings set them all to deocde to lpcm

I use all passthrough, bitstreaming to my Onkyo 809. I'll try some other settings to see if there is any change.
post #5847 of 6257 Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Have you tried playing the same ISO on a pc to verify the ISO itself?

No, I haven't. Started to yesterday and realized that since I never watch movies on the computer, I didn't know what app to do it with. Any suggestions?
post #5848 of 6257 Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

No, I haven't. Started to yesterday and realized that since I never watch movies on the computer, I didn't know what app to do it with. Any suggestions?

VLC Media player. Go to VLC.org.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5849 of 6257 Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Try pressing the Audio Button on your 550 Remote while the ISO is playing and select a different Audio Track.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #5850 of 6257 Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

Try pressing the Audio Button on your 550 Remote while the ISO is playing and select a different Audio Track.

Made no difference on a bluray that only had 5.1 or 7.1 options. On another regular DVD, selecting 5.1 stopped audio selecting the other gave stereo sound. I don't know what that is saying...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page