AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Basically, what I posted is exactly this:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.p...81&postcount=6

Quote:

It is also noticable/distracting on long sentences, that are broken up into 2 or more subtitles. The subtitles should be displayed right after each other, as the actor is constantly speaking, but because of the delay, there is a short time with no subtitles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I just found out that there is a 3.2.22 firmware - I think the latest official is 3.2.16, is that right?
post #5883 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I searched but couldn't tell because of the various firmware versions... will this currently stream MKV files with HD audio without issues? That's all I'm looking for.. Thanks.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5884 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I searched but couldn't tell because of the various firmware versions... will this currently stream MKV files with HD audio without issues? That's all I'm looking for.. Thanks.

MKV with DTS-MA works perfectly. I've read MKV with Dolby TrueHD has issues on the 550, though I can't confirm since all of my TrueHD rips are ISO or m2ts (and play perfectly).
post #5885 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

I just found out that there is a 3.2.22 firmware - I think the latest official is 3.2.16, is that right?

Where did you find this? I see a 3.2.12 from December, 2010, but no 3.2.22.
post #5886 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
After a few days of using the NTV550, I really like it. Two things I can't seem to figure out though:

1. Why does the NTV550 always default to the Video selection after I turn it off and turn it back on? I'm strictly using it as a FLAC player, so I'm not sure why it keeps going to Video.

2. Once in a while, when I select a track, it plays the track for a fraction of a second, pauses and then resumes the song instantly. The NTV550 is connected to an external HDD with an eSATA connection.
post #5887 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Slosh, I am afraid to link directly as netgear may decide to pull it and we'd all lose out.

Instead, I can leave this (final) hint: google for the root of the official firmware filename, except use the revision number you think it should be.

As for the PGS issues I am having - it _may_ be that if I play an ISO, then stop playback, then play it again, it *might* improve the situation. I will need to do more testing. The NeoTV is extremely finicky/quirky so can be difficult to reproduce the errors and workarounds reliably.
post #5888 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Slosh, I am afraid to link directly as netgear may decide to pull it and we'd all lose out.

Instead, I can leave this (final) hint: google for the root of the official firmware filename, except use the revision number you think it should be.

As for the PGS issues I am having - it _may_ be that if I play an ISO, then stop playback, then play it again, it *might* improve the situation. I will need to do more testing. The NeoTV is extremely finicky/quirky so can be difficult to reproduce the errors and workarounds reliably.

here's an easier hint:
updates.netgear.com/outgoing/updates/e5k/1.0/na/current/NTV550_V3.2.22NA.ZIP
post #5889 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So much for subtlety! Should've used the "let me google that for you!" link! lol
post #5890 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:

So much for subtlety! Should've used the "let me google that for you!" link! lol

Netgear is not going to pull it as there are what.....10 of us guys still using the neotv550?
They list all of their beta's this way but without any release notes who knows what it fixes (or breaks). As I have a couple of the neo's i would flash one of them but i am away on vacation...
post #5891 of 6253 Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Max,

Thanks for the heads-up. I downloaded 3.2.22, had a look at it, but have not loaded it into my Neo yet.
Quote:

. . . the latest official is 3.2.16, is that right?

I would not get too excited about 3.2.22, as it appears to be five months old (October 17), only two months newer than the latest official release. I suspect it was posted so that someone could test a fix for a specific problem. I would hope that they've gotten much further in the five months following.
post #5892 of 6253 Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Liked: 10

Details:

"test build * cover Browsing defaults * Music browsing improvements * PCM audio improvements * More subtitle support * Access attached devices from PC * Hide media bar option * customizable share names * Custom skin * YouTube Fix * Other bug fixes *
post #5893 of 6253 Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalegfloyd View Post

Details:

"test build * cover Browsing defaults * Music browsing improvements * PCM audio improvements * More subtitle support * Access attached devices from PC * Hide media bar option * customizable share names * Custom skin * YouTube Fix * Other bug fixes *

Love that last one.. Could it be a bit more vague?
post #5894 of 6253 Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Details:

Yeah, I found the same string in the 3.2.16 version, except that the text "test build was added to the string in the 3.2.22 version. So it doesn't give any indication of what they were trying to test.
post #5895 of 6253 Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Details:

I tried it but haven't played around enough to see a difference. YouTube still doesn't work and m3u playlists can still only be played randomly (which kinda defeats the purpose of creating a playlist in the first place, no?).

While internet streaming would be nice, my Blu-ray player does Amazon Prime, Netflicks, YouTube, etc. just fine. I bought this device for bit-perfect gapless FLAC playback and uncompressed Blu-ray rips. Fix the m3u problem and I'll be happy.
post #5896 of 6253 Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Another glitch I can't figure out. All my music is ripped to FLAC. One of my albums does not appear in the Cover View mode, but if I select artist directly from the Music menu, the album is listed there. There may be more missing, but it's hard to look at 500+ albums and notice any others that may also be missing.
post #5897 of 6253 Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

Another glitch I can't figure out. All my music is ripped to FLAC. One of my albums does not appear in the Cover View mode, but if I select artist directly from the Music menu, the album is listed there. There may be more missing, but it's hard to look at 500+ albums and notice any others that may also be missing.

Is the album name the same as another album? e.g. "Greatest Hits" or another generic type name? If so, change it by adding artist name to the title.

If you have multiple "greatest hits" albums they will all be under the first alphabetical artist name.

Hope that helps.
post #5898 of 6253 Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems the subtitle glitch I was having hasn't appeared for a while - I suspect the trick is to play something else after a reboot or powercycle and then play your chosen video and the subtitles will be in sync.

I've had the NeoTV crash on some caps that I have (mpeg2 .ts) - could be the AC3 audio switch from 2 to 5.1 or 5.1 to 2? I have no idea - but it plays fine on the PC *sigh*.
post #5899 of 6253 Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblum View Post

Is the album name the same as another album? e.g. "Greatest Hits" or another generic type name? If so, change it by adding artist name to the title.

If you have multiple "greatest hits" albums they will all be under the first alphabetical artist name.

- It's like you're psychic! The title was "Greatest Hits". I just went through my entire library in Media Monkey and simply added the time period of the album. I also noticed a few albums here and there by different artists with the same name.

Much thanks. I'm actually liking the NTV550 a lot more after using it more and more.
post #5900 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I've got a few questions regarding the NeoTV550:
1) Does it play full ISO TV shows with the new java?
2) What jukebox is available for it?

I've got a Dune player, and it works awesome, but I can't convince my wife to buy another Dune player (price increased). My secondary player is an AIOS, but it cannot play all of the new ISO (java) TV show formats. So, I am looking for a secondary player.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5901 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM

gusgus,
yes to your first question and I don't know on the jukebox as I don't use one..
post #5902 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked: 10
Right now,i am watching NCIS using the software Playon and Neotv 550 . Looking good guys.But still testing everything. Some sites need a service provider activation such as Netflix. So far so good!:
post #5903 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Gus: Personally, if the Dune never gave you any problems I would save your pennies for another one. The NeoTV is end-of-life and will not be supported (except for one last firmware that has been rumored to be coming out in a few months).

I've had weird issues with it that require power cycles to fix - it would hang when I launch an ISO, and a powercycle fixes it. This is occurs randomly and is pretty frustrating. There are other quirks that I won't get into here (suddenly stops playing in the middle of some of my mp3s, but not others, etc.).

With that said, I do like the idea of it. When it works it works well.
post #5904 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

Gus: Personally, if the Dune never gave you any problems I would save your pennies for another one. The NeoTV is end-of-life and will not be supported (except for one last firmware that has been rumored to be coming out in a few months).

I've had weird issues with it that require power cycles to fix - it would hang when I launch an ISO, and a powercycle fixes it. This is occurs randomly and is pretty frustrating. There are other quirks that I won't get into here (suddenly stops playing in the middle of some of my mp3s, but not others, etc.).

With that said, I do like the idea of it. When it works it works well.

Yeap, I've been doing research and reading a lot of different post and forums about the different media players, and I keep coming back to either buying a PCH or Dune. So, I'll probably wait until my birthday and request a Dune H1 lol.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5905 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have had my 550 for two Months. I am streaming .iso files that I have ripped from my DVD and Blu-Ray collection.

The only problem that I have had is stuttering Audio and Audio drop out.

My 550 is connected via HDMI to my Marantz SR6006.

I solved the audio problem by setting the 550 to bit stream audio. This lets the 6006 do all the audio decoding.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #5906 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

Much thanks. I'm actually liking the NTV550 a lot more after using it more and more.

Glad it helped! I really like the 550. It does all I need - I play music so much more now with the whole collection a remote button or two away. And, .isos play well also. I bought a second one for the bedroom. It takes a bit to get the album walls right, but I've got things set now with music and videos, so if you have any other problems, be sure to ask.
post #5907 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmor View Post

Right now,i am watching NCIS using the software Playon and Neotv 550 . Looking good guys.But still testing everything. Some sites need a service provider activation such as Netflix. So far so good!:

"promising development"???? LOL, you are going to be waiting a very very very long time for netflix on the 550...
That said, it does play 99% of my blu ray iso files without issues. As reported by others sometimes it just decides to "hang" and a power cycle returns it to normal function...
post #5908 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

. . . you are going to be waiting a very very very long time for netflix on the 550...

Hi Streamerlover,

I don't think he needs to wait for NetFlix to be supported by the Neo, as PlayOn supports NetFlix. His NetFlix subscription would be to the PlayOn software, and then PlayOn would stream to the Neo.
post #5909 of 6253 Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Streamerlover,

I don't think he needs to wait for NetFlix to be supported by the Neo, as PlayOn supports NetFlix. His NetFlix subscription would be to the PlayOn software, and then PlayOn would stream to the Neo.

fair enough! should have added "natively" to that..
post #5910 of 6253 Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

MKV with DTS-MA works perfectly. I've read MKV with Dolby TrueHD has issues on the 550, though I can't confirm since all of my TrueHD rips are ISO or m2ts (and play perfectly).

Does anyone know if it does have issues with TrueHD (and MKVs)?

| 
|
|
|
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page