Forum Jump: 

post #6271 of 6279 Old 02-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post
Late reply in case you are still watching - remove the JPG images from your Season directories (other than 'folder'), but keep the tags. This will leave only the Season JPG on your wall and reduce the clutter.

What if the tag files have an image? Do those need to be deleted as well?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post

Thanks,
You need to change your Tag File creation to eliminate images. I use MCM which I highly recommend.
post #6273 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post
Hi KWS,
If you haven't already, then you may have to go into setup and re-point the Neo to your libraries. the old IP addresses might still be lurking there.
I haven't executed the disconnect strategy yet, but I have gone into the Set Up and reset everything to factory defaults. Then I went back into the Media search and all it could find was one other computer on my network, despite the fact that all of my computers/servers can see the 550. I even tried to force the 550 to see the IP address of the server through the manual process but it still can't see the media files.

The problem is easy to define - all computers see the 550, but it can see only one of the network computers, despite the fact that it worked brilliantly through multiple modem switch outs. I'll try the disconnect strategy. If that doesn't work, I'm completely at a loss...

post #6274 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
What he said.....
After thinking about this more - is it possible that the 550 can only link to one network source of media? When I originally set up the unit, the computer it now 'sees' did not exist. But having found this one, is it possible it can't deal with a second - and hence won't discover the server I want? This is easier to test than the full disconnect: disconnect the new computer, reset the 550, see if it now sees the other server.

What's curious is that I can set up the 550 from my server via IP call but the 550 still doesn't see the server...
post #6275 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post

Thanks,
More detail - here is my procedure:

1) Set up directory called "TV Show" (whatever it's called)
2) Under this add a directory called "TV Show - Season 1" (and then "TV Show - Season 2", etc)
3) Add your media in this directory with the following format: "TV Show SnnEmm.mkv" (where nn=01..., mm=01...)
4) Run MCM, right click on the TV show and force the metadata to TV (note MCM needs to be configured for the 550 initially)
5) It will populate each Season directory with tag files and jpgs for each episode, plus a season folder.jpg. Keep folder.jpg and episode tags BUT MOVE the episode jpgs into the main "TV Show" directory. This needs to be done BEFORE the 550 rescans for new media or else you will see the jpgs and need to clear and rescan to eliminate.

KWS
post #6276 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hi KWS,
Quote:
. . . Then I went back into the Media search and all it could find was one other computer on my network, despite the fact that all of my computers/servers can see the 550. . .
Hmmm . . . odd. The only thing that I can think of is that the network-masks are not all the same. Therefore some machines would see the size of the sub-net as smaller than other machines. But that shouldn't happen if all machines are configured with DHCP, as the DHCP server would be setting the masks for every machine the same. Have you tried going into a "cmd" window and issuing "pings" from each machine to every other machine? A matrix of responses might show a pattern.

A friend had an issue when Xfinity changed all of their IP addresses from the 192.168.1,X range to the 10.x.x.x range. His NAS refused to come back online with the new IP address. He ended up replacing the NAS (an extreme solution). When I changed my LAN from 10.0.0.X to 172.x.x.x, I had all kinds of problems that should not have occurred, but that I eventually sorted it all out, with a lot of restarting machines, especially the Ethernet switches.

Quote:
. . . I even tried to force the 550 to see the IP address of the server through the manual process but it still can't see the media files.
That could be a authentication issue. Do the shares that contain the media files have guest access? I didn't have much luck getting the NEO's username/password mechanism working, and had to resort to enabling guest access on my media. Can your other machines see those media shares?

Quote:
After thinking about this more - is it possible that the 550 can only link to one network source of media? When I originally set up the unit, the computer it now 'sees' did not exist. But having found this one, is it possible it can't deal with a second - and hence won't discover the server I want?
My NEO has no problems seeing multiple servers. It's actually a pain-in-the-neck, as I have to weed through about 50 shares on 12 machines in order to select the correct 5 shares. I don't think I have ever had shares from different machines enabled at the same time, however.
post #6277 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
A friend had an issue when Xfinity changed all of their IP addresses from the 192.168.1,X range to the 10.x.x.x range. His NAS refused to come back online with the new IP address. He ended up replacing the NAS (an extreme solution). When I changed my LAN from 10.0.0.X to 172.x.x.x, I had all kinds of problems that should not have occurred, but that I eventually sorted it all out, with a lot of restarting machines, especially the Ethernet switches.
This is exactly the scenario - I moved from a single LAN port gateway (with external router, local network) on Xfinity to a four port higher thruput unit. Because I only had a 10/100 switch, I used the gateway as my switch and used the 10.0.0.x network. I assume (?) that I can internally create a local network (192.168.x.y) within gateway. Maybe that will solve.
Quote:
That could be a authentication issue. Do the shares that contain the media files have guest access? I didn't have much luck getting the NEO's username/password mechanism working, and had to resort to enabling guest access on my media. Can your other machines see those media shares?

My NEO has no problems seeing multiple servers. It's actually a pain-in-the-neck, as I have to weed through about 50 shares on 12 machines in order to select the correct 5 shares. I don't think I have ever had shares from different machines enabled at the same time, however.
Yes the media shares have been set up with 'everyone' write access. And yes the other machines can see the media shares.
post #6278 of 6279 Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
. . . I used the gateway as my switch and used the 10.0.0.x network. I assume (?) that I can internally create a local network (192.168.x.y) within gateway. Maybe that will solve.
The Xfinity network is actually 10.x.y.z (class-A), and that may be part of the problem. I don't think Xfinity will allow you to change the subnet range in their gateway, but by using a separate router (or something else to perform the NAT), you could create you own 192.168.x.y subnet. My understanding is that having that giant class-A sized network allows them to allow "guests" to access WiFi through your gateway. Did you notice the guest SSID on your your WiFi? It allows your gateway and your neighbors' gateways to all behave together, similar to an airport WiFi system for paying guests. So they need your gateway to remain at the 10.x.y.z subnet.

I had setup my 10.0.0.x LAN back in 1992. Note that I had a class-C subnet (10.0.0.x) and not the usual Class-A subnet (10.x.y.z,) that the "10" subnet usually uses (something you may want to check on your network). My subnet had conflicts with Xfinity networks whenever I tried to VPN from the road, so I had to change mine (I couldn't convince Xfinity to change theirs). My impression working with others who had network issues after the Xfinity 'upgrade' last fall was that the Xfinity gateway was still buggy, and had problems with DHCP and some devices (which is why my friend had to resort to replacing his NAS). Another theory I heard was that some devices just can't handle such a large subnet, and maybe the 550 is among them. But I would think more 550 owners would have chimed in by now if that was the case.
post #6279 of 6279 Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
I just dusted off my Netgear NTV-550 and put it in my UHD setup. I'm so glad I never sold this. I had some BD ISOs that I wanted to use the full menus for when watching. And the NTV-550 came in handy. IN my main 2K setup I still use a PCH C200 for full menus from BD ISOs. But that thing is huge compared to the size of the NTV-550.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page