Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro View Post

well maybe PS3 cantread DVD ISO and BD ISO too,,,

but honestly, i can rip my DVD's in VOB

and my BD's in m2ts and it'll play just fine....

Force your ripper to create one large VOB because the PS3 doesn't recognise multiple VOBs as being from the same movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:

oh yeah will the NETGEAR NeoTV 550 have a YAMJ kinda thing for movies?

peace

No it won't.
post #723 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

well honestly, at a 199$ price point, i dont know,,,,

i can get my hands on a PS3 for 270$ taxes included...

and there's a physical BD-Player in it...

The PS3 is actually a bargain for people interested in games and Blu-ray media. In addition it pretty well plays all the standard containers and codecs other than mkv, which they could easily do if they wanted to. Since switching mkv to mp4 is trivial and doesn't require transcoding that's not a big deal.

philip
post #724 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 AM

I hate to continue on with this off-topic subject.... but just to clarify, the PS3 will NOT play back Blu-ray ISO's with full menus, correct?

For as much horsepower as it has, and it having a physical BD-ROM, you would think it would (and should!!), but all the research I've done, it does not. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!
Brian
post #725 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 AM

The PS3 not only is unable to play ISO images, but also is unable to neither change audio track nor select ANY subtitle in VOB files...

Ciao!
Marco
post #726 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 AM

ok back to Netgear!

So, no YAMJ for the NETGEAR NeoTV 550

or anything else like it???
post #727 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:

ok back to Netgear!

So, no YAMJ for the NETGEAR NeoTV 550

or anything else like it???

Nope. Which IMHO makes it a PCH killer
post #728 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 AM

why so?

having a display where you get Box Art + movie description is good!

i cant beleive that NTV 550 wont have that!

what we'll we get?

only a bunch of plain movie file names....???
post #729 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 AM

Hello

The NeoTV 550 will not support YAMJ, however it will support Cover Art and Fan Art.

I suggest you read the Review posted earlier in the thread.

Kevin
post #730 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 AM

you know which post it is?

we have now like 730 post :P
post #731 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 AM

post #732 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

Nope. Which IMHO makes it a PCH killer

Exactly, I completely agree. This is one of the main reasons I want the 550 over the c200 of Dunes...... A slicker UI throughout without the need for a jukebox layer on top of basic folders.
post #733 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumy View Post

I would hope that this change in specs would allow a faster release now. But I'm sure they still are struggling with the price. When the price was detailed with the BD optical support, it made sense. Can they now sell it for the same price with only the promise to consumers that they are working on it?

They've got to get it out before the holiday rush - like now. But they'd help themselves to drop the price a bit then. With full BD iso menu support and a likelihood of disc support in the near future, I'd pay $200. But I don't think most people would when the local Best Buy will have a WD option with a hdd for the same price. Educated consumers are a minority, I'm afraid.

Actually, I think it takes an educated consumer to even consider buying a media player. I think we all would agree these aren't exactly plug-n-play.

Educated consumers do pay attention to changing specs. If they keep the price at $200 after "delaying" BDA certification and external BD-ROM capability, they will lose early sales to patient consumers who don't buy promises and will keep their money in their pocket until they make good.

On the other hand, if they drop the price to reflect the new published spec., potential buyers should have no expectation whatsoever that the unit will ever be BDA certified and gain external BD-ROM support via a future firmware update. If that were the case I would expect to see a future NTV-550 plus model with these additional features for a price premium (i.e. WD Live vs. WD Live plus).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #734 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

well maybe PS3 cantread DVD ISO and BD ISO too,,,

but honestly, i can rip my DVD's in VOB

and my BD's in m2ts and it'll play just fine....

If you are satisfied with that level of functionality, just buy a $100 Seagate player and get BD.m2ts playback as well as flawless DVD.iso playback.

In order to avoid frustration and dissatisfaction people should have a solid reason to buy a specific player other than it's new and cool. And that reason starts with a list of features and functionality you want that your current player can't deliver; and even that list is divided into those features you must have as well as those you can compromise on.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #735 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Actually, I think it takes an educated consumer to even consider buying a media player. I think we all would agree these aren't exactly plug-n-play.

Educated consumers do pay attention to changing specs. If they keep the price at $200 after "delaying" BDA certification and external BD-ROM capability, they will lose early sales to patient consumers who don't buy promises and will keep their money in their pocket until they make good.

On the other hand, if they drop the price to reflect the new published spec., potential buyers should have no expectation whatsoever that the unit will ever be BDA certified and gain external BD-ROM support via a future firmware update. If that were the case I would expect to see a future NTV-550 plus model with these additional features for a price premium (i.e. WD Live vs. WD Live plus).

If they drop the price, I would respect that decision. But it better not mean that early adopters are left out when an update is available to enable bd support. Splitting the box into two product lines, one with full bd support and one without, is a bad idea.
post #736 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Splitting the box into two product lines, one with full bd support and one without, is a bad idea.

Have you looked at how many different "variation on a theme" models Dune is peddling? I would have no problem with a 2-tier model. It's like WD Live plus (with NetFlix) vs. WD Live (without NetFlix). All else being equal, why pay for what you don't value -- ahh but then they rarely are equal, are they .

- kelson h

post #737 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you looked at how many different "variation on a theme" models Dune is peddling?

True, but the difference there is that they are expandable, and you don't give up core features between then (like external drive support). For those models, you either but the unit with the BD drive, LCD, or HDD spot, and if you want HDD or BD later you can just buy the add on module (unlike the worry [unfounded as of yet] with the 550 that your unit would lack a key functionality [BD licensing] that another unit would have).

edit: Although as you mention, I would be fine with this if they make it clear up front. If they come out and say there will be 2 models, I'll wait for the one with BD licensing. What I think people are afraid of is that they'll say "coming soon" for the 550, then decide it is better to put out a new "licensed" model.
post #738 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Have you looked at how many different "variation on a theme" models Dune is peddling? I would have no problem with a 2-tier model. It's like WD Live plus (with NetFlix) vs. WD Live (without NetFlix). All else being equal, why pay for what you don't value -- ahh but then they rarely are equal, are they .

Then this needs to be announced clearly and well before people start buying it. I would just hate to buy it with the expectation of an improvement that turns out is only available with a new box. Misleading consumers is not cool.

It seems simpler to keep the price the same and actually add the feature later for everyone. Now if the price drops, I'll be suspicious.
post #739 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

True, but the difference there is that they are expandable, and you don't give up core features between then . . .

edit: Although as you mention, I would be fine with this if they make it clear up front. If they come out and say there will be 2 models, I'll wait for the one with BD licensing. What I think people are afraid of is that they'll say "coming soon" for the 550, then decide it is better to put out a new "licensed" model.

As far as the Dune, I was just making the point that it is not such a bad idea to have a tiered product line.

As to your other point, I always buy a unit for what it does at the time of purchase. If BDA certification was a requirement for me and the shipping unit did not deliver on that capability, I would keep my money in my pocket and continue using my entry-level player until they either made good on their "promise" or introduced a new model with BDA certification -- before someone else does. I'm not one of those who bounce around the walls until UPS delivers my pre-order unit. I'm very cold and patient about my purchases and am rarely disappointed.

- kelson h

post #740 of 6253 Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Then this needs to be announced clearly and well before people start buying it. I would just hate to buy it with the expectation of an improvement that turns out is only available with a new box. Misleading consumers is not cool.

It seems simpler to keep the price the same and actually add the feature later for everyone. Now if the price drops, I'll be suspicious.

I understand your feeling but it probably won't work in the way you want. It has been taken out of the spec. on their website; that's about as clear an announcement as we are likely to get. Wait until the unit is shipping then go to their website and review the published specifications in their marketing blurbs. If there is no statement of BDA certification/external drive support in their specs. for the unit they are shipping, you have no rightful expectation that feature will be added to that unit some time in the future. If they indicate in the spec. that it is a coming feature, then you have the rightful expectation. Promises made by an anonymous service rep in a forum mean nothing -- "prices and specifications are subject to change without notice" -- they put that in the fine print for a reason.

- kelson h

post #741 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 AM

Hello

I just got an update eMail from Scan.

--

In regards to your order.

The issue is that the firmware is being finalised and is due to be released 14th of December. They are currently making the firmware as bug free as possible and are making stable improvements.

We are one of the first UK stockers to get the item when it is finally released.

I apologise for the delay.

--

Thanks in advance

Kevin
post #742 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if the US shipment is still on track for Dec. 1. Hopefully Bob can chime in with an update soon. It still isn't on amazon, and I would think it should show up soon if it is going to ship in 3 weeks.

Also, are the beta testers still getting firmware updates? Have you noticed any differences in BD ISO handling since the spec update (maybe I should ask this tomorrow after the new firmware is out)?

And another question for beta testers....were any of you able to get a protected bd iso files to play back in the beta firmware? I wonder if that was ever an option without the external bd ability (and thus, licensing). Hopefully this licensing issue will not affect full menu non-protected BD ISO support. I don't think it should, but it would be nice to know for sure. They do still mention Blu-ray as a supported format on the spec sheet (just not external drives).
post #743 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hopefully this licensing issue will not affect full menu non-protected BD ISO support. I don't think it should, but it would be nice to know for sure. They do still mention Blu-ray as a supported format on the spec sheet (just not external drives).

As you say, it would be good to know, but I can't see that they would eliminate full BD.iso support. If they did, it would be nothing more than a $130 player with a fancy UI. Only Apple could sell it for more than it was worth.

- kelson h

post #744 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, are the beta testers still getting firmware updates? Have you noticed any differences in BD ISO handling since the spec update (maybe I should ask this tomorrow after the new firmware is out)? .

As of the last firmware BD ISO support was still working with no apparent changes. Of course, this could change in future firmware's but I don't see that happening.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #745 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM

Hello Rob

How is the handling of TV Series and Movie Box Sets with the NeoTV 550?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
post #746 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kncowans View Post

Hello Rob

How is the handling of TV Series and Movie Box Sets with the NeoTV 550?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

There has been much discussion on this between the beta testers and the developers. I believe they are still working on the best way to handle this, as the logistics and the different ways that users might want to see this displayed was varied.

But let me ask you (and others)... let's say you have Dexter Seasons 1 to 4 on DVD. Each season consist of 4 discs, that you've ripped to your media share. So you have 16 ISO files on your media share. Let's add to it and say you have 5 seasons of Weeds on DVD, ripped in the same manner. Now you have 36 ISO files. How would you expect this displayed? And how would you differentiate one of these ISOs from just another movie ISO????? Do you count each episode as a video? Each season as 1 video? Each disc as 1 video?

Now take the above example, for the user that ripped each episode individually... How do you handle it?

It gets very complicated. The easiest way I found is simply to have one share named TVshows. Under that share, I have a folder for each series. Under each series, I have a folder for each season. Under the season folder, I have my individual ISO files. Then I use the Live Folder Browsing and simply navigate to the show/season/disc I want.

post #747 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the great example of the logistical problems with series, Rob.

Just curious....how does the firmware currently handle these? Each ISO as an individual video, right? So, in your example, it would show up as Dexter Season 1 Disc 1 on the cover view, right next to Dexter Season 1 Disc 2? I guess this is OK until a better solution is worked out. You lose the ability to see which episodes are on the disc, but it is no different than using the actual DVDs.
post #748 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Hello again

Thanks for the reply.

Personally I would like to seperate Movies from TV Series.

Have a 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' Menu Item.

Selecting 'Movies' would take you to the Movie Wall as it is now (going by screenshots).

Selecting 'TV Shows' would take you to another Wall displaying Art, preferably TV Show Banners ( 2 x 4 grid).

I mean, Fan Art is supported for Movies so why not use TV Show Banners too?

Clicking on a Banner would take you to a list of Series, i.e. Series 1, Series 2 etc.

Clicking on a Series Number would list all the individual Episode ISOs or pressing 'Play' on the Series Number would Play the Series in Order.

Just my opinion but what do you think?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
post #749 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the great example of the logistical problems with series, Rob.

Just curious....how does the firmware currently handle these? Each ISO as an individual video, right? So, in your example, it would show up as Dexter Season 1 Disc 1 on the cover view, right next to Dexter Season 1 Disc 2? I guess this is OK until a better solution is worked out. You lose the ability to see which episodes are on the disc, but it is no different than using the actual DVDs.

As I only have a few TV series I own, I just do as I described. I've never really paid attention to how it is actually being done. Perhaps if there is a new firmware this weekend, I'll make note of what it does as I try out the new firmware.

post #750 of 6253 Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kncowans View Post

Hello again

Thanks for the reply.

Personally I would like to seperate Movies from TV Series.

Have a 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' Menu Item.

Selecting 'Movies' would take you to the Movie Wall as it is now (going by screenshots).

Selecting 'TV Shows' would take you to another Wall displaying Art, preferably TV Show Banners ( 2 x 4 grid).

I mean, Fan Art is supported for Movies so why not use TV Show Banners too?

Clicking on a Banner would take you to a list of Series, i.e. Series 1, Series 2 etc.

Clicking on a Series Number would list all the individual Episode ISOs or pressing 'Play' on the Series Number would Play the Series in Order.

Just my opinion but what do you think?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

There have been requests from the beta testers for Netgear to find a way to distinguish between TV shows and Movies. Hard to say if they will ever implement something like that. The Live Folder Browsing works similar to how you described. It just requires you organize the files that way on your NAS or media location. However it presents more of a list view, than a cover view.

Another part of the problem is Netgear can't possibly know how the user will organize their TV show collection. Someone may organize it with all ISOs in one folder, and a Tag file for each ISO. Others might put all of the same show in one folder, but not distringuish between seasons. The possibilities are endless and even more complicated when you start including possible Tag files or fan art or cover art or folder.jpg files.

The only way I ever seeing this truly working is for Netgear to stipulate what type of organization structure you must use on your media storage location. And even perhaps, naming conventions like always ending the file name with _SxxEyy format. But of course, that wouldn't work for a DVD ISO that had 3 or 4 espisodes on one disc.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page