Netgear NeoTV 550 - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kncowans View Post

Hello Rob

On the subject of Playlists, does the 550 support iTunes Playlists?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

no.

nononononono and no again.

and i wonder why. That is one of the bad point of this unit, and it could be an opportunity for netgear to lead the market if they will implement that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_edge View Post

no.

nononononono and no again.

and i wonder why. That is one of the bad point of this unit, and it could be an opportunity for netgear to lead the market if they will implement that.

I think I am going to get the family to start posting these questions instead of giving me the questions to post.

First Flickr and now iTunes

Kevin
post #1263 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

As I understand it, you want to basically convert your .NFO files to .TAG files so the Netgear can use them?

Assuming you have the folder structure set up the way this player "wants" it, i.e. each movie in its own folder, I don't see why it would be hard to convert .NFO to .TAG, from a software perspective anyway. Then you'll just have a .NFO and .TAG file in the directory...one extra file to deal with...no a really big deal I suppose.

The only thing left is to make sure you have a folder.jpg and fanart.jpg, which if you're using an EXT filesystem (or I suppose NTFS) could be links to the equivalent other-named file.

Hummm...I bet I could whip something up to convert .NFO to .TAG if I could get my hands on the file format for .TAG (as Netgear implemented it). But, it'd be a Linux binary, or Java .jar I guess, because I don't do Windows dev, lol.

You are right, all of the above.
All I would need is a .TAG as additional file with the info out of my NFOs, all other is in place - one movie per directory, folder.jpg and coverart.jpg and could be renamed according to what Netgears requires.

If I knew how to write into a .TAG I would try it myself, but getting there would mean a hell of an effort for me.

I have found this tagmakersuite, written in perl with source.
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chernich/tagmaker.html
Hey, I only need to learn Perl to get it done on my own ;-)

As robkwil61 has already mentionend some posts above .TAG basicly is ID3 Version 2.4
This is a posting where the author of MCC has added .TAG-support to MCC -with some other info on the -TAG-format.
http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/...=30#wrapheader
Assuming he was getting Netgears implementation from looking at the file - but what do I know ?

There is nothing wrong with JAR :-)
post #1264 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello Rob

On the subject of Playlists, does the 550 support iTunes Playlists?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

No, unfortunatly it seems to only support its own proprietary playlist format. It may support m3u playlists but I'm not really sure.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1265 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

No, unfortunatly it seems to only support its own proprietary playlist format. It may support m3u playlists but I'm not really sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Thats a shame since the ReadyNas line has a built in 'iTunes Streaming Service' so having the ability to connect to this would of been useful.

Kevin
post #1266 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

It would be awesome if you could check...but it may be hard to support unless the m3u file path has either the full server path or a relative path in it.
post #1267 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticc View Post

You are right, all of the above.
All I would need is a .TAG as additional file with the info out of my NFOs, all other is in place - one movie per directory, folder.jpg and coverart.jpg and could be renamed according to what Netgears requires.

If I knew how to write into a .TAG I would try it myself, but getting there would mean a hell of an effort for me.

I have found this tagmakersuite, written in perl with source.
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chernich/tagmaker.html
Hey, I only need to learn Perl to get it done on my own ;-)

As robkwil61 has already mentionend some posts above .TAG basicly is ID3 Version 2.4
This is a posting where the author of MCC has added .TAG-support to MCC -with some other info on the -TAG-format.
http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/...=30#wrapheader
Assuming he was getting Netgears implementation from looking at the file - but what do I know ?

There is nothing wrong with JAR :-)

The real question now is, what do your NFO files look like? Because if there are no standard keys to determine where to pull the data from, it'll be hard to write a general tool to convert.

edit: Another question...after looking at the ID3 tag format, it seems it is geared towards being put into an actual media file...since .TAG is not a media file, what gets put into it? Just the raw tag information, I suppose.... I would be curious if an existing library (id3lib) could read and write .TAG file properly.
post #1268 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Another question...after looking at the ID3 tag format, it seems it is geared towards being put into an actual media file...since .TAG is not a media file, what gets put into it? Just the raw tag information, I suppose.... I would be curious if an existing library (id3lib) could read and write .TAG file properly.

I can write .TAG files properly.

Peter Souza IV
Author of Media Center Master (MCM)
post #1269 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

(iii) Support for PGS subtitles in MKV container (both 550 & 350)

(iv) Support for forced subtitles (very common in M2TS containers) in MKV. (The forced subtitles are present usually in streams with multiple subtitle tracks) (both 550 & 350)

I'm sorry if I missed it (I searched for PGS and forced in this thread), but were these question ever definitively answered? The review linked earlier only lists the following:

Container: MKV
Internal UTF8, SSA, TXT, Vobsub, Vobsub compressed
External SUB/IDX
External text subs

It also says "The Neo also supports forced-subtitles", but this is a general statement and not specific to MKV.

Also, can all subtitles (most importantly, PGS in MKV if supported) be repositioned somehow (manually, if nothing else) for 2.35 movies to be inside the frame?
post #1270 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdis View Post

I'm sorry if I missed it (I searched for PGS and forced in this thread), but were these question ever definitively answered? The review linked earlier only lists the following:

Container: MKV
Internal UTF8, SSA, TXT, Vobsub, Vobsub compressed
External SUB/IDX
External text subs

It also says "The Neo also supports forced-subtitles", but this is a general statement and not specific to MKV.

Also, can all subtitles (most importantly, PGS in MKV if supported) be repositioned somehow (manually, if nothing else) for 2.35 movies to be inside the frame?

Netgear claims support for forced PGS in MKV. We will know when people actually test it out with those MKV streams. Just waiting for the units to hit the reviewers.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #1271 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Netgear claims support for forced PGS in MKV. We will know when people actually test it out with those MKV streams. Just waiting for the units to hit the reviewers.

Thanks. I'm almost sure I'll be ordering this as soon as it's on Amazon, so if no one else confirms it, I guess I can be the guinea pig on this issue.
post #1272 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4 View Post

Welcome aboard.
post #1273 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

edit: Another question...after looking at the ID3 tag format, it seems it is geared towards being put into an actual media file...since .TAG is not a media file, what gets put into it? Just the raw tag information, I suppose.... I would be curious if an existing library (id3lib) could read and write .TAG file properly.

You're correct. Years ago netgear used to write the ID3 data directly into the movie file itself. However, this caused some apps to regard the movie as being corrupted and so they couldn't play it. So, netgear decided to add a separate tag file containing the same information it used to put inside the movie file.
post #1274 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

All and all, the Netgear .TAG format is pretty simple; it's 100% ISO standard ID3 v2.4.0 with a custom PRIV frame and an embedded picture using a picture type I wouldn't have guessed.

Anywho, as it was posted earlier, Media Center Master has full support for generating .TAG info, including auto-resizing of images down to the ~195 KB size required by Netgear and a number of other Netgear-specific options.

Peter Souza IV
post #1275 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

All and all, the Netgear .TAG format is pretty simple; it's 100% ISO standard ID3 v2.4.0 with a custom PRIV frame and an embedded picture using a picture type I wouldn't have guessed.

Anywho, as it was posted earlier, Media Center Master has full support for generating .TAG info, including auto-resizing of images down to the ~195 KB size required by Netgear and a number of other Netgear-specific options.

Nice work Peter. I think you've made a lot of existing EVA owners and prospective NeoTV 550 owners very happy

Can I suggest you introduce yourself over on the main netgear forums. Loads of people there are desperate for such a tagging tool.
post #1276 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 PM

still no way to preoder on amazon, i dont get it, most other companies that go with amazon have huge preorder time frames like games (Starcraft2 was on preorder for more than year), keyboards (Razer new keyboard has been in preorder for couple of months), Microsoft mouse/keyboards (also couple of months), laptops (asus G73 like a month), etc. We are in theory less than 3 weeks from release, with the first shipment already on sea, and still cant place an order from the place that is suppose to get them first.
post #1277 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

still no way to preoder on amazon, i dont get it, most other companies that go with amazon have huge preorder time frames like games (Starcraft2 was on preorder for more than year), keyboards (Razer new keyboard has been in preorder for couple of months), Microsoft mouse/keyboards (also couple of months), laptops (asus G73 like a month), etc. We are in theory less than 3 weeks from release, with the first shipment already on sea, and still cant place an order from the place that is suppose to get them first.

I think they have enough headaches with returns from pb and bb, so playing it safe now?? or they have inside information that it will be delayed?? I don't think it is fair to compare starcraft2 with this one. That is/was hugely popular/anticipated game...
post #1278 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
any beta testers here also play with the boxee box? Curious as to which one will be the better choice
post #1279 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn987 View Post

any beta testers here also play with the boxee box? Curious as to which one will be the better choice

Totally depends on your needs. I can answer that and I'm not a beta tester, but you need to state what you mean by "better"
post #1280 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:

The real question now is, what do your NFO files look like? Because if there are no standard keys to determine where to pull the data from, it'll be hard to write a general tool to convert.

Yes, NFOs can look all slightly different. so a general tool supporting all kinds of NFOs seems to get difficult.
Mine are created by Ember with option YAMJ-compatible.

For example: Bad Boys.nfo

tt0112442

Bad Boys
Germany:18
Action
Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Michael Bay
George Gallo / Michael Barrie / See more
Whatcha gonna do?
Ein paar Gangster stehlen von der Polizei konfisziertes, reines Heroin im Wert von 100 Millionen Dollar! Die beiden Polizisten Burnett und Lowrey haben...
Ein paar Gangster stehlen von der Polizei konfisziertes, reines Heroin im Wert von 100 Millionen Dollar! Die beiden Polizisten Burnett und Lowrey haben den Auftrag die Beute wiederbeschaffen. Und das innerhalb von 72 Stunden, ansonsten wird ihr Department dicht gemacht. Die einzige Zeugin des Überfalls hat Angst, taucht zunächst unter, vertraut sich dann aber doch Lowrey an. Bald stoßen sie auf gigantische Korruption und einen kaltblütigen Hintermann...
118 mins

Lisa Boyle
Girl Decoy

Michael Taliferro
Carjacker

Emmanuel Xuereb
Eddie Dominguez

Tchéky Karyo
Fouchet (as Tcheky Karyo)
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTIwNjE4MjIwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY0NjQxMQ@@._V1._SY275_ SX400_.jpg

Marc Macaulay
Noah Trafficante
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTMyNzM1Njk1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk1ODk0Mw@@._V1._SY275_ SX400_.jpg

Ralph Gonzalez
Kuni

Vic Manni
Ferguson

ac3
deu
German

h264
118 mins
eng
English
Progressive

post #1281 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can write .TAG files properly.

Care to share some information? Help a fellow coder to possibly help another forum member convert his .NFO files to .TAG?
Quote:

Yes, NFOs can look all slightly different. so a general tool supporting all kinds of NFOs seems to get difficult.

If they are all XML like that, then it probably wouldn't be hard at all. Just need to get enough info about the .TAG files to write ones that can be read correctly by the Netgear box. If Psouza shares, it probably wouldn't be too bad. Otherwise, I'm sure since he already knows how to do it, improving his software to scan for all .NFO files and convert to .TAG would be fairly easy for him.
post #1282 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Hello Peter.

Is there an option in MCM to make use of existing nfo and jpgs for metadata and not to do new srapping ?
post #1283 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks alot for the help
I will be using MKV format and I love MakeMkv

Thanks again
post #1284 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the advice
post #1285 of 6257 Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Totally depends on your needs. I can answer that and I'm not a beta tester, but you need to state what you mean by "better"

Looking for mostly local content. Nice UI, wireless and able to plug in hard drives.

Right now, I move tv shows/movies to my thumb drive/external HD and plug it into my blu ray player to watch. If I could dump content to a streamer wirelessly, either with internal storage or with external storage, and then sit back with a nice UI to pull it up and watch, that's what I want.

I don't have a good enough system for the high end sound but I do want nice PQ and a player that works. No sluggish or glitchy behavior.

Online content would be nice but only as a bonus.

PS - a device I could turn off with no issues about losing coverart would be nice

The BB fits the bill if they can get their issues worked out but I'm open to other options as well
post #1286 of 6257 Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM

So just realizing something this morning.... of my 100 or so high-def ISO files... about 40 of them are HD DVD's!!! Will this play them?

Also, no one is answering the "is Pandora on here?" question.... I asked before, and someone else after me asked too. This is still an outstanding question.

thanks,
Brian
post #1287 of 6257 Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btomasie View Post

So just realizing something this morning.... of my 100 or so high-def ISO files... about 40 of them are HD DVD's!!! Will this play them?

Also, no one is answering the "is Pandora on here?" question.... I asked before, and someone else after me asked too. This is still an outstanding question.

thanks,
Brian

HDDVD's are not supported. I have about 50 of them myself, but used VID2EVA to convert them all to MKV. They still look really good.

post #1288 of 6257 Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Hello all

To the Beta Testers, was there a new Beta FW yesterday?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
post #1289 of 6257 Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello all

To the Beta Testers, was there a new Beta FW yesterday?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Wow, I've been so busy with Media Center Master I forgot to check. Yes, there was a new release. 3.0.265

Here are the release notes:

Release Notes

1) Resume playback refinement

Added Recently watched menu under Video
Note, only media that is also in the library is listed under Recently Watched (it behaves like Recently Added in this respect)
You can clear the recently watched list directly from this menu

2) Modified DLNA enabled/disable option Settings -> Advanced (for troubleshooting purposes). There are 3 options are:

Enabled (with Play To)
Enabled (no Play To)
Disabled

3) Bug fixes

Fixed intermittent crash while browsing media
Fixed crash accessing play lists
DLNA / Play To bug fixes
Fixed some USB drives with slow spin up not detected
Fixed Clear BDLive cache not working if cache is cleared prior to starting disc
Added year to Now Playing music screen

post #1290 of 6257 Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:

For example: Bad Boys.nfo

tt0112442

I'm upgrading MCM To support this format. Are there any other .NFO formats I should be supporting? You eluded to others.

Peter Souza IV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page