post #1501 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 AM
fls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth View Post

I have the problem that the 550 underscan, i.e do not fill the whole screen on my 16:9 movies. If I switch the 550 to my Tvix 6500, the pictures is a perfect fit again. That is with all my movies.

I´ve also lost sound a couple of times but this has been solved by going out to the main menu and go back to the Video folders and start a movie again.

/Mike

Doesn't sound good, but then again the 6500 is super-stable. Netgear probably needs some months to get the firmware right.

But overscan and underscan... Are you using the same HDMI input for Tvix and 550 ? Most TV's have one HDMI used for computers with 1:1 pixelmapping and no overscan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fls View Post

Doesn't sound good, but then again the 6500 is super-stable. Netgear probably needs some months to get the firmware right.

But overscan and underscan... Are you using the same HDMI input for Tvix and 550 ? Most TV's have one HDMI used for computers with 1:1 pixelmapping and no overscan.

Bear in mind that the latest "Released" FW is version 3.0.234, however the latest Beta is 3.0.265.

Also, the date on the latest released FW is 07 October 2010 so they have had nearly two months of development time.

Kevin
post #1503 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 AM

I been able to tweak the overscan somewhat myself with the HDMI tv input settings, but it's still not showing everything and I can't move the H/V-amp any more than this.
So overscan settings in the Neo550 would be a great feature. (not just the zoom function, because it's not saving the settings)
It's still one - click with the zoom function to get the whole picture.
post #1504 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shin0bi23 View Post

seems netgear have been clearing their stock
european ibood sites offer the eva 9100 for 60 euro instead of 160 ish
wonder if it make a good streamer next to the 550 for say bedroom or something

I saw that to. And also wonder if they work well together ?
For the eva9100 there was a PC-Screen function listed that lets you view your pc screen on your tv. Does the neo have this ? does it work well ?
post #1505 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 AM
fls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kncowans View Post

Bear in mind that the latest "Released" FW is version 3.0.234, however the latest Beta is 3.0.265.

Also, the date on the latest released FW is 07 October 2010 so they have had nearly two months of development time.

Kevin

A closed beta program could be both a curse & a blessing. I don't know how many beta firmwares I've tried on my Tvix - but it's not a small number. And the "stable" released firmwares always lagged behind and wasn't that stable either.

I hope that Netgear has a nice plan and a lot of developers covering this to get this to a stable platform fast before moving on to something new...
post #1506 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:

A closed beta program could be both a curse & a blessing. I don't know how many beta firmwares I've tried on my Tvix - but it's not a small number. And the "stable" released firmwares always lagged behind and wasn't that stable either.

I hope that Netgear has a nice plan and a lot of developers covering this to get this to a stable platform fast before moving on to something new...

We don't have Amazon and its 60 days return policy in Europe (besides UK, DE, FR), so Netgear better get the new firmware out soon or else people might start returning the devices. So far its not super serious bugs in most cases for common users , but 3.0.234 has its fair share of problems.
post #1507 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzeta View Post

Netgear better get the new firmware out soon or else people might start returning the devices. So far its not super serious bugs in most cases for common users , but 3.0.234 has its fair share of problems.

So are you seeing these bugs playing "normal" rips or only on the more quirky, obscure rips mentioned above?
post #1508 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_edge View Post

I confirm : MCM does not works with BR or DVD structure, and it does not work with accent char (éÃ*çèù...) so i had to re-build all my tag files because MCM automaticaly rewrite the Tag files during the scan. I wish netgear will update the tag tool software soon.

Damn, that's a show stopper for me then. All my rips are DVD and BD folder structure. Guess I'll have to stick with clunky, poorly supported, Dune.
post #1509 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

So are you seeing these bugs playing "normal" rips or only on the more quirky, obscure rips mentioned above?

Don't know what your definition of normal is, but Ive seen problems with scenereleases that work fine with CoreAVC. I've not been able to watch every movie from start/finish only segments so It could be alot more than what I'm seeing right now or everything could already be fixed with the latest beta. Sometimes the problems are random other times its in the same place. Sometimes problem goes away when you restart the 550 also.
post #1510 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Everything is the same except the mediaplayer, including cable and input.

I can of course make an adjustment with my Panasonic 4000, but I would appreciate not having to solve a problem like that.

I called Netgear Sweden and have escalated the EU fw being so much behind the US fw in development and requested to get a Beta fw to try. Same problem as Bozzeta, the return policy is only 30 days for us.

/Mike
post #1511 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Amazon is expected to have the Neo on their site in 2 weeks for preorder according to the Amazon sales rep. As soon as the unit is available to preorder I will let everyone know.

Bob

Bob, checking Amazon, seems Netgear did add one new product for preorder NETGEAR 3DHD Wireless Home Theater Networking Kit WNHDB3004 but no Neo TV550 yet, a link like that would be enough just to place the preorder.
post #1512 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodkopje View Post

I saw that to. And also wonder if they work well together ?
For the eva9100 there was a PC-Screen function listed that lets you view your pc screen on your tv. Does the neo have this ? does it work well ?

Pretty sure this got removed. It never worked that well with the 9150.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1513 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc42 View Post

Damn, that's a show stopper for me then. All my rips are DVD and BD folder structure. Guess I'll have to stick with clunky, poorly supported, Dune.

I don't know why, but the devs always said the Neo streams better from ISO than from folder structure. And certainly iso is easier to manage. Folder structure can easily be turned back to iso with several free utilities.

However, Pete is pretty open to suggestions and may change MCM to work with folder structure. He was basically tagging the first title file (VIDEO_01) and needs to tag the main file (VIDEO_TS.IFO).

Even as it stands, all you have to do is rename the .tag file MCM created to VIDEO_TS.TAG and the Neo will recognize it. Should not be a show stopper. Unless you are just incredibly lazy.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1514 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth View Post

Everything is the same except the mediaplayer, including cable and input.

I can of course make an adjustment with my Panasonic 4000, but I would appreciate not having to solve a problem like that.

I called Netgear Sweden and have escalated the EU fw being so much behind the US fw in development and requested to get a Beta fw to try. Same problem as Bozzeta, the return policy is only 30 days for us.

/Mike

I was under the impression that the EU and US firmware was developed alongside each other.
At the very bottom of this page of the review there is mention of automatic updates. Have you tried forcing the Neo to check for the existence of an update? It might override the automatic updates functionality of the Neo? Worth a shot

Or maybe try flashing the unit with the US version of the firmware and then seeing whether a newer update comes down?
If the two versions are out of synch with each other then at least you'll get a chance to test the newest version before your 30 day trial expires
post #1515 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

I don't know why, but the devs always said the Neo streams better from ISO than from folder structure. And certainly iso is easier to manage. Folder structure can easily be turned back to iso with several free utilities.

However, Pete is pretty open to suggestions and may change MCM to work with folder structure. He was basically tagging the first title file (VIDEO_01) and needs to tag the main file (VIDEO_TS.IFO).

Even as it stands, all you have to do is rename the .tag file MCM created to VIDEO_TS.TAG and the Neo will recognize it. Should not be a show stopper. Unless you are just incredibly lazy.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. If it's just a case of renaming the .tag file, then it's no problem.

I'm still a little hesitant about the Neo's handling of folder structure though. I really don't want to have to convert everything to iso.

My situation is that I have a Dune Base 3.0 which handles every file type I can throw at it (with the exception of concert DVDs with multi camera angles). But I hate the clunky inteface. The third party add-on "Zapitti" isn't bad for movies (when it's working) but the Dune's GUI for music is a complete PITA. It'll support tags but only to the extent that, once you've navigated through various folders and sub folders to find a particular track, it will then display the tag info - not much use. Worst of all, with the Dune is that nothing seems to be happening with any sort of firmware updates (even thpough the latest beta is broken and has been for weeks) and there is no communication from them. So I've given up on HDI.

What I'm looking for is something which can play files as well as the Dune but with better user interface. I want to see album art (for music and movies) and be able to search movies by genre etc and music by genre/artist/album etc.

Can the Neo this? Can it read flac tags (which include album art)?
post #1516 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I was under the impression that the EU and US firmware was developed alongside each other.
At the very bottom of this page of the review there is mention of automatic updates. Have you tried forcing the Neo to check for the existence of an update? It might override the automatic updates functionality of the Neo? Worth a shot

Or maybe try flashing the unit with the US version of the firmware and then seeing whether a newer update comes down?
If the two versions are out of synch with each other then at least you'll get a chance to test the newest version before your 30 day trial expires

Hi,

I tried forced update on both of my players before I started testing them and none could find an update.

I could try the US version if someone have a link to it?

/Mike
post #1517 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

Remember, as I mentioned before, that you have to move the VIDEO_TS.TAG into the VIDEO_TS folder before it will work. If you want to see the fanart.jpg file you have to move it into the VIDEO_TS folder to.
I have submited a request to Peter/MCM about this addition
post #1518 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

Bob, checking Amazon, seems Netgear did add one new product for preorder NETGEAR 3DHD Wireless Home Theater Networking Kit WNHDB3004 but no Neo TV550 yet, a link like that would be enough just to place the preorder.

Just got and update from the US sales director. Amazon does have the 3DHD WNHDB3004 and will have product for sale within the week. This is the wireless unit that WILL have adequate bandwidth for BD rips. I have tested this myself and can assure everyone it works well. Dont have info on range yet but in my home at about 40 feet no issues.

As to Neo550 on Amazon it is still in process. The issue is Netgear is trying to get more inventory for Amazon. Right now it will only be Frys who is assured of units and will be available on Dec 13th. Frys does have an online site so those of you out of a Frys shopping area may want to contact customer service to see if you can pre-order the units.

Netgear did not expect this much demand for the Neo in Dec due to it's late arrival and limited distribution. So they had planned for January to be the main roll out.

Ill post again when I learn more.

Bob Silver
Netgear
post #1519 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Any idea about availability or roll out plans for Canada?

Thanks
post #1520 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #1521 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azereus View Post

Thanks

I have just sent an email to the sales team to find out. Post when I get an answer

Bob Silver
Netgear
post #1522 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Liked: 11
Pre-ordered. Boo-yah!

I then called my wife to tell her she ordered my Christmas present.
post #1523 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post
Just pre-ordered mine. Thanks for the link!
post #1524 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
since i've got a fry's 3 miles from home i'll go there if amazon doesn't have a preorder up soon. i'd rather buy from amazon so i can do some extended testing next to my boxee box until the end of january, but 30 days may have to suffice.
post #1525 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post
Pre-ordered. Boo-yah!

I then called my wife to tell her she ordered my Christmas present.
I did the same thing
post #1526 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:26 PM

If Netgear has fixed all of the issues in the latest firmware, this is going to be a really good streamer. It's fast and easy to use (haven't tried scraping)... I believe even my mother could use it, but the back button/menu system takes some time to get used to. I often clicked the wrong button or got stucked with the popup menu.
Overall I like it... if it had rar-support like the Boxee it would be an excellent streamer. Now I'm just waiting to compare it with the Boxee.

Question for you NFS guys. Is there any way not to have those @-folders visible when browsing in the menus? Kinda irritating.
post #1527 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
If Netgear has fixed all of the issues in the latest firmware, this is going to be a really good streamer. It's fast and easy to use (haven't tried scraping)... I believe even my mother could use it, but the back button/menu system takes some time to get used to. I often clicked the wrong button or got stucked with the popup menu.
Overall I like it... if it had rar-support like the Boxee it would be an excellent streamer. Now I'm just waiting to compare it with the Boxee.

Question for you NFS guys. Is there any way not to have those @-folders visible when browsing in the menus? Kinda irritating.
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress

According to that review pressing the OK button should close those popup menus. Doesn't it always work or do some work using the OK button and some by pressing the Back button?

Are there more pop-ups available than are shown on this page?
post #1528 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Jon, the lead dev for the NTV550, already told me that the 60 fps and 16 reframe issues are fixed in the upcoming release. I have also provided him with some more samples supplied by Bozzeta and also added some of my own for him to test out. Let us see how it goes

All said, I wanted to see at least one media streamer introduced into the market which doesn't make beta testers out of the early adopters. EU customers are unlucky in that respect, but, hopefully, by the time the unit starts shipping in the US, my wishes will come true!

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #1529 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azereus View Post

Thanks
Just heard back from Netgear Sales Director. There are no plans to localize the product for Canada. Therefore no plans to officially sell it in Canada. Recommended buying from Frys online or Amazon. If speed is the issue order from Frys since there is no allocated product for Amazon as of right now.

Bob Silver
Netgear
post #1530 of 6246 Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress

According to that review pressing the OK button should close those popup menus. Doesn't it always work or do some work using the OK button and some by pressing the Back button?

Are there more pop-ups available than are shown on this page?
It's not in any of those pics, its the timeline/slider that opens when you press popup-menu. It opens automatically when you start a movie and goes away after 7 seconds. But when you activate it yourself it doesn't go away until you press the button again. So lets say you press the Back button when watching a movie, you will be transfered to the Neo550 menu, but the timeline is still visible and blocking you from selecting another file in the browser. It would be nice if there was an extra option for auto hide after X sec.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page