Netgear NeoTV 550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6257 Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ran across this in a thread on the Netgear EVA9150 forum. The specs look very interesting. If the price comes in around $150 when it ships in the US it could be some competition for the new Dune boxes.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Netge...Music-Streamer

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 AM

Liked: 10
It use to be that bd-iso with menu support was rare, now it's going to be on a lot of boxes.
post #3 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Yeah but how many x amount of players say "will do this that and the other" and then when you finally get it after waiting months you find out the features are really nothing more than what they plan on adding in the future and your just a sucker beta tester.

It would be nice if a company listed features and then when the product shipped everything actually worked day one. I don't trust any company putting out a new box in the media player category.

If they can come in at $150 and they have actually tested the unit (worked out all bugs) and everything works perfect as advertised it will kill PCH and Dune sales.
post #4 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I believe Netgear is good at network. From what it is stated:

Play content from local source
External DVD/BRD optical drive support via USB or eSATA !

Play content from your Network

Wired Network connexion (10/100) x1
802.11n Wireless Network connection *Via optional - WNCE2001 not included
Network support - CIFS/Samba,dlna/uPnP AV,NFS,Win7 PlayTO
Network access - auto discovery,dynamic update,manual addition
Customisable share display options
Savable Network shortcuts

Media Infos
integrated to give the details of your movie files

Blu-Ray Media
BDA certified
Playback - Full - Menu, navigation & BDLive
Subtitles Support - HD
Auto 24fps support

Video Support
Full HD 1080p
Auto 24fps support
DVD support with Full Menu & Navigation

Subtitles
HD + placement supporting SRT, SMI, SSA, SUB, TXT, DVD, PGS

Audio
• Dolby® Digital (AC3), Dolby® Digital Plus,TrueHD
• DTS 2.0+, DTS HD 7.1 and DTS HD MA 7.1 (passthru)

Internet content
YouTube

Anyone knows about its chipset?
post #5 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Just added a page for it and I reckon it's definitely Sigma. The lack of RMVB is a pointer to that. As to the actual chip, I've said 865x on iboum and I'm sticking to that.

Very impressive looking player though.
post #6 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
(10/100) ??? kinda weak

I noticed in your original post it says TV. And the link is UK
I don't think it will do tv and be sold in the US.
WHY you could record the HD signal and sell it.
At least that is the riaa and movie rights stand on it.

Remember if you live in the USA you are only guaranteed 2 rights.
you have the right to PAY YOUR TAXES
you have the right to KEEP YOUR Fing MOUTH SHUT
post #7 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

(10/100) ??? kinda weak

Not really...
Most HD media players in the market now do their jobs at 10/100 network wired without any isssue. The problem, if you can see, is the chipset not network bandwidth.
post #8 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Not really...
Most HD media players in the market now do their jobs at 10/100 network wired without any isssue. The problem, if you can see, is the chipset not network bandwidth.

Agreed, everything can be done over 100baseT. It seems what distinguishes the higher priced units from the lower priced ones is largely their network streaming performance for high bitrate titles. All the units can stream DVD rips over a network without issue.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 6257 Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There's also a Neo TV 350 model.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #10 of 6257 Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 AM

I can find no mention of it on the netgear website which seems odd. Almost as tho it doesn't really exist??
post #11 of 6257 Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

If this does bd iso with menu and hd audio for $150 it will be a big hit.
post #12 of 6257 Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

If this does bd iso with menu and hd audio for $150 it will be a big hit.

That is $150 in pounds. In Us currency that will put it around $233 at todays exchange rate. Which is a price that makes more sense for a media player with full BD menu navigation.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #13 of 6257 Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

$hit, knew it looked too good to be true, LOL.
post #14 of 6257 Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That is $150 in pounds. In Us currency that will put it around $233 at todays exchange rate. Which is a price that makes more sense for a media player with full BD menu navigation.

$233 is still pretty cheap if it works, I mean you want expensive check out kaleidescape the M300 was over $1000 if I remember.
post #15 of 6257 Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

AnandTech has the official scoop here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3866/n...-for-expansion

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #16 of 6257 Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

Just added a page for it and I reckon it's definitely Sigma. The lack of RMVB is a pointer to that. As to the actual chip, I've said 865x on iboum and I'm sticking to that.

Sorry, it's the SMP8642. SMP865x can't do Blu-ray support.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #17 of 6257 Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

Sorry, it's the SMP8642. SMP865x can't do Blu-ray support.

Keith, Netgear confirmed to me that the NTV550 is 8642. But, I missed asking them about the NTV350. Do you have an idea of what they are using for that model? Is it 8655?

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #18 of 6257 Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Keith, Netgear confirmed to me that the NTV550 is 8642. But, I missed asking them about the NTV350. Do you have an idea of what they are using for that model? Is it 8655?

Realtek based...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #19 of 6257 Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

I can find no mention of it on the netgear website which seems odd. Almost as tho it doesn't really exist??

It's now on the Netgear Website

http://www.netgear.com/NEOTV
post #20 of 6257 Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellon View Post

It's now on the Netgear Website

http://www.netgear.com/NEOTV

Good find. Thank you
post #21 of 6257 Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just give me netflix, and this is my next purchase.
Assuming the music and photo browsing is pretty snappy, this sounds like a more family friendly alternative to the new Dunes for someone with bd iso files backed up.
post #22 of 6257 Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

(10/100) ??? kinda weak

If anything, it's simply proof this is a Sigma-based streamer (well that and the BD license). Their current family of chips has a known bug that prevents T1000 to work as it's supposed to. Gigabit support is technically part of the design, but it's busted.

The upcoming chipset fixes that problem.
post #23 of 6257 Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not clear to me from the spec sheets exactly what this thing does with regard to BD rips and menu support. Yes, it supports an external BD drive for BD playback like a player, but I don't see an explicit mention that it supports BD.iso rips at all let alone with menu support. You will notice it explicitly states DVD iso/vob/ifo, but not BD iso. For that matter, it says nothing about even DVD menu support. I would also like a little more clarification on whether or not it bitstreams both DD and DTS HD formats.

It looks interesting but not exciting compared to what is already out there and coming. This looks like another box from a company trying to sell you a full solution -- see how it combines and augments the other products we can sell you. I'll wait for a review. There are a lot of features I look for that are not mentioned or unclear in the spec sheet. A pretty UI is secondary to actual performance and utility. From the features in the spec sheet and the connectivity options on the box I would place the value to be in the $120-130 range.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #24 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It's not clear to me from the spec sheets exactly what this thing does with regard to BD rips and menu support. Yes, it supports an external BD drive for BD playback like a player, but I don't see an explicit mention that it supports BD.iso rips at all let alone with menu support. You will notice it explicitly states DVD iso/vob/ifo, but not BD iso. For that matter, it says nothing about even DVD menu support. I would also like a little more clarification on whether or not it bitstreams both DD and DTS HD formats.

It looks interesting but not exciting compared to what is already out there and coming. This looks like another box from a company trying to sell you a full solution -- see how it combines and augments the other products we can sell you. I'll wait for a review. There are a lot of features I look for that are not mentioned or unclear in the spec sheet. A pretty UI is secondary to actual performance and utility. From the features in the spec sheet and the connectivity options on the box I would place the value to be in the $120-130 range.

Our NDA has formally been lifted so I can now comment. I've been beta testing this for about 6 months now. It will defiinitly do BD.ISO with full BD Live. And has full menu support for BD and SD DVD. Full SD menu support has been around since the EVA9150. It can also bitstream DD and DTS HD. The current firmware does not yet support a BD drive on the eSata port and although there is a menu for video on deman products like Netflix, it is currently listed as "under construction". Another big improvement of the Neo over the EVA9150 is the support for all kinds of subtitles in multiple containers.

I will say the Neo in combination with a ReadyNAS (or any NAS) is a great solution. Of all the media streamers I've tested I can honestly say this one is the best. There is still a lot of work to be done on the firmware, but I look forward to every Friday night for the next beta. It keeps getting better and better.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #25 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you for your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

There is still a lot of work to be done on the firmware

That seems to be the hallmark of just about any player at it's release. Some fulfill the promise, many don't.

- kelson h

post #26 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Our NDA has formally been lifted so I can now comment. I've been beta testing this for about 6 months now. It will defiinitly do BD.ISO with full BD Live. And has full menu support for BD and SD DVD. Full SD menu support has been around since the EVA9150. It can also bitstream DD and DTS HD. The current firmware does not yet support a BD drive on the eSata port and although there is a menu for video on deman products like Netflix, it is currently listed as "under construction". Another big improvement of the Neo over the EVA9150 is the support for all kinds of subtitles in multiple containers.

I will say the Neo in combination with a ReadyNAS (or any NAS) is a great solution. Of all the media streamers I've tested I can honestly say this one is the best. There is still a lot of work to be done on the firmware, but I look forward to every Friday night for the next beta. It keeps getting better and better.

Wow. This sounds pretty promising then. Can you comment on the speed of browsing movie/music/photo collections?
Also, does it specifically list netflix as coming soon, or is it vague? Netflix has been "coming soon" to the Dunes for about a year, but I suppose Netgear (being a bigger company with broader reach) can make this happen a lot quicker.

If this thing ships with netflix, then I'm getting it. I didn't notice any major issues in your impressions. Other firmware fixes will be nice, but I'm just looking for full menu bd iso support, netflix, and a snappy and attractive UI for the rest of the family to use

Thanks!
post #27 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Indeed, it looks promising. Lets hope it delivers.
post #28 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Wow. This sounds pretty promising then. Can you comment on the speed of browsing movie/music/photo collections?
Also, does it specifically list netflix as coming soon, or is it vague? Netflix has been "coming soon" to the Dunes for about a year, but I suppose Netgear (being a bigger company with broader reach) can make this happen a lot quicker.

If this thing ships with netflix, then I'm getting it. I didn't notice any major issues in your impressions. Other firmware fixes will be nice, but I'm just looking for full menu bd iso support, netflix, and a snappy and attractive UI for the rest of the family to use

Thanks!

Well, browsing movies and music is pretty quick. Especially with the new 3 line cover art mode. It will display the DVD covers in a 3 by 8 matrix. You can page through that pretty quickly or use the search feature to refind your selection. Photo viewing to me is kind of clumsy. Not intuitive like on a Windows PC. Still, it is better and faster than on the 9150.

It has been documented that it may or may not have Netflix support. There is no guarantee. I suspect that deal is being currently negotiated. It will all come down to what the lawyers can work out. I would not expect it to ship in October with Netflix support.

The Tag Tool is also being done away with, and a new software called Netgear Movie Manager is supposed to replace it. I have not yet seen it but it is probably going to be similar to MyMovies.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #29 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, browsing movies and music is pretty quick. Especially with the new 3 line cover art mode. It will display the DVD covers in a 3 by 8 matrix. You can page through that pretty quickly or use the search feature to refind your selection. Photo viewing to me is kind of clumsy. Not intuitive like on a Windows PC. Still, it is better and faster than on the 9150.

The Tag Tool is also being done away with, and a new software called Netgear Movie Manager is supposed to replace it. I have not yet seen it but it is probably going to be similar to MyMovies.

Thanks!
Have you played with a Dune 3.0 before? How are photos and music viewed? I think the music is at least done with thumbnails of album art, right? My photos are pretty organized, so I don't mind folder structure for those...are they viewed via a folder structure?

Also, is there any of the cool background changes/info that occurs with mymovies, zappiti, etc. when you highlight a movie? Not a deal breaker, but that would be cool.
post #30 of 6257 Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
robkwil61,

Does the player have source direct mode?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page