Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

I actually said that any device that can't handle 1080/24 content is not worth owning, and to wake me up if Apple ever gets there. That doesn't mean that all content must be at that resolution, but any worthwhile players themselves must be able to handle it when it's needed.

I completely agree when needed. However since virtually all of Apple TV's HD content is 720p it certainly isn't needed. Which should catch you up. If you have an issue with 720p content take it up with ABC and ESPN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It comes down to how much TV you watch and what your cable bill (if any) is.

Many of us are paying $50-$75 a month for what is really at the end of the day basic cable. A few premium shows we want to watch, some news, weather, etc. If there is even one 'special' channel we want to watch, such as Discovery HD, we get bumped into a higher tier and end up paying for the cooking shows, game shows, movie re-runs, etc, that we couldn't give a fart about.

Now imagine that you pay $.99 for the 10-30 series shows that you really want to watch in a given month and get to watch them in HD and COMMERCIAL FREE. Now you augment that with some other FREE shows that are ad supported such as CNN, etc, and then maybe a sprinkling of PPV content such as sports, etc.

The opportunity is missed on most people but not on Jobs, Schmidt, and others, who see a future in which we won't be paying $75 a month to Comcast so that we can get 100 garbage channels we don't care about. We will be paying 1/2 that and getting content that is custom tailored to us and we will be paying directly for much of it which will bypass the need for annoying commercials.

For the real hogs out there I'm sure that the huge buffets with 100's of crap channels will still be popular but for those of us that watch half a dozen series during the premium season and then just a sprinkling of TV during the 'off' season such an idea is absolutely golden and long overdue.

The problem right now is that HBO and many other networks don't want to play ball.

Many people would JUMP at the chance to get

One thing when it comes to cable bills, I get my cable/phone/internet all together, and my pricing is reduced because of this bundle. Obviously my phone/internet would go up if I killed off cable, so that is a consideration. I wonder if cable companies will try to sweeten the pot to keep you locked in, or increase the "standalone" fees when you are not going with a bundle.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Personally, I’m tired of the silly showboating about “if it can’t give me 1080p with HD audio it’s worthless” or some such.

The reality is that online streaming is not there yet. If that is what you need, stick with 100% BR rentals and watch your stuff on your BR player/BR capable streamer.

Now if you can be the least bit pragmatic to appreciate that you can enjoy the full glory of BRs for some stuff and still enjoy the convenience of online streaming (even if the quality is nowhere close to BR) for other stuff, you can open your options up a lot.

As for a la cart pricing, I’ve said this before, but my opinion on it is similar to bottled water. You’re wasting your money if you stock the pantry next to your faucet with the stuff on a daily basis, but buying a cold bottle of water while out and about is money well spent for the convenience.

Same for online content, if you are buying individual shows for daily consumption you are wasting your money as you can most likely stock up on shows you want to watch by going with Netflix or hulu subscriptions, etc. But if you have a couple of shows you want to watch (or even one or two series you want to watch right now) the convenience of buying them on the spot can be beneficial.

That said, getting back to the actual appleTV, I see the feature of playing something off your ipad or iphone as a complete gimmick, and something that only an iSheep would find novel or amazing. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m actually using my smartphone or netbook (closest I have to an ipad) for websurfing or other activities *while* watching TV and with the limited I/O those things have the experience would be quite poor if they also had to support the wireless streaming of local content. If you’re going to open the appleTV up to being more than just a streamer of internet content, then just give it proper network streaming protocols and be done with it.

Really, I see this new AppleTV as a competitor to the Roku boxes. It seems to have similar (but more expensive) pricing to the Rokus with what I would assume more restrictive DRM licensing. Without looking the spec sheets of the two over with a fine tooth comb, what (other than the apple logo and marketing) does the AppleTV offer that makes it better than the Roku?

-Suntan
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Personally, I'm tired of the silly showboating about if it can't give me 1080p with HD audio it's worthless or some such.

I agree. I have a 119 inch 1080p image in my dedicated room and I don't go around saying anything less shouldn't be viewed. I find the 61 inch set in my office perfectly acceptable. And I don't boycott ABC or ESPN since they broadcast 720p. Rather it looks rather nice. As did The Brave One via the Apple TV I used to own.

For me it's sort of like the reason there are so many tools in the toolbox. Each one has its purpose and with 720p streaming media the Apple TV seems well suited. Now if most of their target market could stream 1080p via the Internet (or even via their own local network) I'm guessing it would handle 1080p.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I agree. I have a 119 inch 1080p image in my dedicated room and I don't go around saying anything less shouldn't be viewed. I find the 61 inch set in my office perfectly acceptable. And I don't boycott ABC or ESPN since they broadcast 720p. Rather it looks rather nice. As did The Brave One via the Apple TV I used to own.

For me it's sort of like the reason there are so many tools in the toolbox. Each one has its purpose and with 720p streaming media the Apple TV seems well suited. Now if most of their target market could stream 1080p via the Internet (or even via their own local network) I'm guessing it would handle 1080p.

Q: has anyone here said that 720p media shouldn't be viewed, or that lower resolution media should be "boycotted"? Where are you getting that nonsense from?!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Q: has anyone here said that 720p media shouldn't be viewed, or that lower resolution media should be "boycotted"? Where are you getting that nonsense from?!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19118497

No 1080p makes it worthless… by default that makes 720p worthless. If the player is worthless the content it plays must be as well. Or the player wouldn't be?

I think we can agree the Apple TV is worthless for you… but for someone who wants to display the very worthwhile 720p it might not be?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19118497

No 1080p makes it worthlessby default that makes 720p worthless. If the player is worthless the content it plays must be as well. Or the player wouldn't be?

I think we can agree the Apple TV is worthless for you… but for someone who wants to display the very worthwhile 720p it might not be?

Wow... reading fail.

Let me see if I can add a few small words to bring you up to speed... are you ready? are you sure?... Ok, good... here, read this:

No max resolution of 1080p makes the device worthless... for me.

At no time does that statement equate to saying that 720p content is itself worthless. In the original statement, the word "it" referred to the box, not the content.

Stay in school kids...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In the original statement, the word "it" referred to the box, not the content.

You can highlight all you want but it doesn't change the overall content or meaning. So we agree 720p content isn't worthless? If so, how can a device that displays it be? You can pick words here and there and try to come up with this and that but it won't hurt to admit the Apple TV might be worthwhile for some who don't mind second rate like yourself.

Can the Apple TV be worthwhile?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can highlight all you want but it doesn't change the overall content or meaning. So we agree 720p content isn't worthless? If so, how can a device that displays it be? You can pick words here and there and try to come up with this and that but it won't hurt to admit the Apple TV might be worthwhile for some who don't mind second rate like yourself.

Can the Apple TV be worthwhile?

Learn to read, son.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Learn to read, son.

I will be glad to when you answer the question. Until then I'll read the response as being yes. Which just happens to be the entire context if you go back and read. I'm tired of bickering so I just turned myself in. Feel free to do the same.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 519
knock it off please

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, all content, regardless of resolution, has the potential to be worthwhile. However, new media players that max out at 720p, are not worthwhile.

I'm done.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You can highlight all you want but it doesn't change the overall content or meaning. So we agree 720p content isn't worthless? If so, how can a device that displays it be?

Because there's also lots of worthwhile 1080 content, which the device can not handle.

So why would you pick the crippled device that can only handle some of the worthwhile content, rather than other devices (some even cheaper) that handle both?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Because there's also lots of worthwhile 1080 content, which the device can not handle.

So why would you pick the crippled device that can only handle some of the worthwhile content, rather than other devices (some even cheaper) that handle both?

Where can you find (in the US) all this worthwhile legal 1080 content you speak of?

Jay
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post

Where can you find (in the US) all this worthwhile legal 1080 content you speak of?

Jay

Kind of what I was thinking, were can you find commercially available 1080i/p material for streaming? The AppleTV is targeted at someone that wants simple, pick-it-off-of-a-menu and start watching convenience.

For that matter, where can you find a player that can playback your local 1080 content, stream native Netflix, and offer a la cart video shows with a simple interface?

Obviously, there is the Roku player, which in my mind offers more than AppleTV (of course Roku doesn't get every tech reporting site on the planet to devote their entire front page in covering their market announcements...) but from what I have read it doesn't really do local network streaming very well.

-Suntan
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Well...I might counter your argument would hold more weight...if Roku had its own streaming network, largely built to compete with Netflix. That being said, I don't deny it's a stretch...but what's wrong with stretching.

CD

In this case, stretching is about creating FUD that somehow Apple is scheming to extract $99 from Netflix subs for the purpose of ultimately screwing them over so it can extract $$ from them. And that's patently absurd, so it's really not he kind of FUD you ought to be spreading.

What I'd like to know is how Apple's offerings compare to say Vudu for rentals. Anyone know of a comparison site in that regard?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post

Jay

There's a ton of 1080i content legally available in the US... and while people keep insisting the ATV will "output" 1080 as far as I know it's just upscaling... Apple.com certainly doesn't list it capable of processing any video above 720. Regardless of which everyone at least agrees it can't do 1080P.

Now, where can you get 1080P legally?
I suppose that depends on if you consider creating a digital library of a large collection of bluray discs, so that you have instant access to all of em at a glance without shuffling around a bunch of physical media, to be legal or not.

I sure find it handy though.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

In this case, stretching is about creating FUD that somehow Apple is scheming to extract $99 from Netflix subs for the purpose of ultimately screwing them over so it can extract $$ from them. And that's patently absurd, so it's really not he kind of FUD you ought to be spreading.

What I'd like to know is how Apple's offerings compare to say Vudu for rentals. Anyone know of a comparison site in that regard?

Not sure about rentals but VUDU has well over 20K titles avaialble. With over 3K of them in their best audio/video HD format HDX. With 1080P24 and DD+.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

how much does it cost to rent an HDX quality movie from vudu. I looked at one and it just shows $.99 for SD, but asks for you to log in to see other pricing.

-Suntan