Looking for NAS Server Solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive my lack on knowledge on this issue. I have not been able to find a clear solution.
1. I want to transfer and store all video, music, and photos to a NAS that is connected directly to my wireless router.
2. I want to be able to stream these a/v files on the NAS to the PS3 without having to have my computer on which is in a separate location upstairs not attached to the router but connected via wi-fi.
3. I may need to transcode on the fly via ps3mediaserver or something similar to allow the PS3 to play all video files I have stored.
4. I don't want to utilize a second computer if possible.
5. I may want to stream to multiple digital media players such as WD TV Live Plus around the house.

1 and 2 should be pretty simple but I'm not sure if it is possible to do 3 or 4 without a separate computer being utilized. Does a NAS exist that can be setup as a server and at times transcode videos when necessary? Maybe there is a simpler solution I am not considering. Any assistance would be appreciated.

DB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Look for Synology or QNAP NAS solutions. I haev a Synology and it does everything and more. Cheers!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brett. Which specific model do you have?

DB
post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Brett, I haven't been keeping up but I thought PMS wasn't a great match for those NAS? Or has something changed?

dbachman, are you dead set on using a PS3 for video? The requirement to have realtime transcoding does limit the sorts of servers you can rely on.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain_Brett View Post

Look for Synology or QNAP NAS solutions. I haev a Synology and it does everything and more. Cheers!

QNAP seems to have significant price difference over Synology for similar models. Was I looking at wrong models? Synology have great reviewes on Amazon, so I'm just trying to figure out if price difference is justified for QNAP.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM

I am currently using a ds110j with a 1tb hd and streaming fine over XBMC live and my Xbox 360 using upnp.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
the Netgear Readynas Ultra line is exactly what you are looking for
post #8 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain_Brett View Post

Look for Synology or QNAP NAS solutions. I have a Synology and it does everything and more. Cheers!

I have a Synology CubeStation, and while I was impressed at first, I was very disappointed when they dropped support after only 18 months.

It had bugs, but that is no big deal. uPNP was not implemented, although it was an advertised feature. I was promised that the issues (Backup deficiencies, DHCP problems, NFS problems and uPNP) would be fixed in a future firmware release. But then I received a notice that there would be no more updates for my unit.

You would think, after paying over $1100 for a NAS, that it would be supported for more than 18 months. I would stay away from Synology.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Brett, I haven't been keeping up but I thought PMS wasn't a great match for those NAS? Or has something changed?

dbachman, are you dead set on using a PS3 for video? The requirement to have realtime transcoding does limit the sorts of servers you can rely on.

I would prefer to be able to transcode due to the PS3 limitations on the type of videos it can play. The PS3MS transcoding solves this issue. I suppose if I streamed to a WDTV Live or similar, a simple external hard drive would suffice. But that is just another component I would have to add to the mix.

DB
post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

the Netgear Readynas Ultra line is exactly what you are looking for

Thanks for the recommendation. This is certainly a nice piece of hardware. Although it is a little more than I was wanting to spend. The problem with the PS3 is it can't play all video formats. I'm thinking another solution would be $100 for an external hard drive and another $100 or so on a wdtv live vs. $600+ for the Readynas. The Readynas would be a nice all in one solution however.

DB
post #11 of 12 Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

I would prefer to be able to transcode due to the PS3 limitations on the type of videos it can play. The PS3MS transcoding solves this issue.

What I'm asking is why consider the limitations of the PS3 at all when you plan to get other media streamers anyway? You could add another media extender and then open up more options for NAS/servers? Just a thought.

Quote:
I suppose if I streamed to a WDTV Live or similar, a simple external hard drive would suffice. But that is just another component I would have to add to the mix.

I'm confused. What is the extra component? Based on what you outlined initially, you're planning on other streamers and a NAS or similar device?

If you do decide to go with PS3 as your primary device, and therefore PS3MS for transcoding, as far as I know most NAS will not work. I posed the question of what NAS actually work with PS3MS and HD transcoding, but no one is responding. I suspect you're going to have to go with a more powerful server?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The reason that I suggested the ReadyNAS ultra line is that it is able to transcode formats for the PS3 without additional software on the PS3 or an additional server.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page