Forgive my lack on knowledge on this issue. I have not been able to find a clear solution.
1. I want to transfer and store all video, music, and photos to a NAS that is connected directly to my wireless router.
2. I want to be able to stream these a/v files on the NAS to the PS3 without having to have my computer on which is in a separate location upstairs not attached to the router but connected via wi-fi.
3. I may need to transcode on the fly via ps3mediaserver or something similar to allow the PS3 to play all video files I have stored.
4. I don't want to utilize a second computer if possible.
5. I may want to stream to multiple digital media players such as WD TV Live Plus around the house.
1 and 2 should be pretty simple but I'm not sure if it is possible to do 3 or 4 without a separate computer being utilized. Does a NAS exist that can be setup as a server and at times transcode videos when necessary? Maybe there is a simpler solution I am not considering. Any assistance would be appreciated.