Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3262 Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by debpub View Post

The Apple TV preset in Handbrake allows you to create file that includes both a 5.1 track and a stereo track. Works just as you would expect. Playing the rip on your Apple TV gives you full 5.1 Dolby Digital AC3 surround sound and playing the same file on your Iphone/iPod/iPad gives you the AAC stereo sound.

However, the current ATV preset was done for the old Apple TV and limits the max bitrate a bit. The new model can handle pretty much any bitrate at 720p you can throw at it so if you download the latest Handbrake nightly, choose the High Profile setting, and set the resolution up to 1280, you can get a higher quality file out of it.

Just tried this with not so great results.. Grabbed the latest handbrake nightly build and took a 1080p bd rip containing only the dts master audio.. I ran it through hb as you suggested with the high profile (resolution bumped down to 1280) and checked the audio settings.. It reported that it was going to convert the dts-ma to ac3 passthrough and have a second track that was aac 2 ch for ipad, etc..

It plays on the aTV and my receiver lit up the Dolby Digital surround light but the audio skipped in and out.. I'm wondering if this nightly handbrake just still doesn't know how to deal with dts-ma as the source audio..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

If I'm not mistaken, most DVD's that have DTS also have DD.

After re-encoding overnight, I confirmed this morning that the handbrake DTS to AC3 Passthru conversion works on the ATV2. I have yet to sync the movie onto my iPod Touch to test the 2-channel.

Tried to load the videos on my 3G iPod Touch (8GB) - didn't work at all. Maybe the stereo bitrate is too high (320kbps)?

In other news, I had no idea that most of the TV shows I had been buying on iTunes all this time included a 5.1 DD track! Bones, Closer, Burn Notice... 5.1 track included. Sweet.

I need to troubleshoot the iPod non-compatibility.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #273 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

BD never required AC-3 (any one of the three mandatory audio formats is acceptable) but my understanding was we were talking about the Shrek DVD.

Right, my point was just to point out (for anyone who might not know) that an AC-3 track was a requirement for DVD, but it's not the case with Blu-ray. And to relay a recent experience of mine, if you're ripping a Blu-ray disc with MakeMKV and it shows both a 5.1 English DTS track and a 5.1 English AC3 track, there's a good chance that AC3 track is a track for the visually impaired (i.e., the audio will include a narrator describing everything on-screen).

Quote:

Tried to load the videos on my 3G iPod Touch (8GB) - didn't work at all. Maybe the stereo bitrate is too high (320kbps)?

The latest iPod Touch (with the Retina display) is the 4th gen, right? If so, I don't believe that 3rd gen model has the A4 CPU/GPU chip, and so it might not be able to process a file converted using Handbrake's High Profile setting.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #274 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 AM

I dug through a few pages on this thread but have not seen whether anyone confirmed whether Apple TV passes through hi def audio (ex. 24/96) as is with no downsampling. Anyone got one and proven it through their DAC?
post #275 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatham View Post

I dug through a few pages on this thread but have not seen whether anyone confirmed whether Apple TV passes through hi def audio...

See post 235.
post #276 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Hmm ... I don't recall having to pair it. That was with the 1st G ATG. This one just requires logging into home sharing. Which version of iTunes are you using? You have to upgrade to the latest version.

Philip

I am using the latest iTunes (10). I turned home sharing on for both the ATV and my iTouch (I just downloaded Remote, so I think its the newest version). Remote asks me to add a home library. When I do, it shows a 4 digit code and says to input this code into iTunes where it shows my device. This is where it hangs.

I must be having other issues, because home sharing on the ATV doesn't seem to work either. With home sharing activated on my computer (and it running of course), only a few songs show up in my library on the ATV (no cover art), and if I select one to play, it says no media found, go to the iStore, etc.

EDIT:

Really odd, been researching a bit and the apple support page clearly states that iTunes 10 doesn't use the pin method to link remotes. Only iTunes 9.x does. I know for sure I am on iTunes 10.x because it updated to that version before I even tried anything last night. I even rebooted my machine so I don't think I was somehow on an older version. Very odd. Definitely must be some sort of network issue.

Maybe it is having trouble crawling my network.. although everything is hard-wired, so I would think it would be fairly simple. I do have multiple routers though.
post #277 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

The latest iPod Touch (with the Retina display) is the 4th gen, right? If so, I don't believe that 3rd gen model has the A4 CPU/GPU chip, and so it might not be able to process a file converted using Handbrake's High Profile setting.

A-ha! Thanks, man.

I think my iPod Touch might actually be a 2G one since it's the 8GB, and I don't think they updated that model when they released the 3G Touch (although they continued to sell it).

I'm hoping to get a 4G Touch soon (heavily hinting to the wife for my B-day), so I won't bother to re-encode any rips until I can test them then.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #278 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping to get a 4G Touch soon (heavily hinting to the wife for my B-day), so I won't bother to re-encode any rips until I can test them then.

Just curious...why not an iPhone 4?

FWIW, I successfully played my test 720p conversion of Monsters vs Aliens on my iPhone 4, which used the High Profile setting and has dual audio tracks, so the iPod Touch 4th gen should have no issues.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #279 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

Really odd, been researching a bit and the apple support page clearly states that iTunes 10 doesn't use the pin method to link remotes.

Just to be sure, you did install iTunes 10.0.1 and you enabled Home Sharing in iTunes as well as the ATV and in Remote?
post #280 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM

I am about 95% confident. My only doubt comes from the page saying that version 10 doesn't use the pin method! Is it possible that my iTouch generation is too old? I am not positive what it is, but it does have the latest software on it (4.x). It is definitely not a 4th generation, and could be 2nd.

I plan on doublechecking the itunes version when I get home, maybe the upgrade process failed and didn't tell me... I did activate home sharing on all devices though, that I know for sure.

For instance, on my ATV, it shows the name of my library at the top, with about 10 songs that I have out of hundreds (only generic icons for coverart though). When I try to play them, it acts like those songs don't actually exist though. Almost like syncing to my library started, then failed midway.
post #281 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This looks like the first "practical" app loaded on the ATV-2g.
post #282 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

I did activate home sharing on all devices though, that I know for sure.

Every device and library with Home Sharing enabled should show on the "Choose a Library" page unless your network is blocking the discovery (presumably Bonjour) traffic. Only pre-V10 libraries or an ATV-1g would need PINs.
post #283 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Ok.. I definitely have an interesting one then. I will have to do some more troubleshooting on it. Maybe home sharing doesn't like my Uverse router or one of the switches. I will make sure my Windows firewall isn't blocking anything as well, but since iTunes works fine I wouldn't think that would be an issue (I can download updates, etc).
post #284 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Just curious...why not an iPhone 4?

My company provides and pays for my Blackberry. No need for another phone.

Quote:

FWIW, I successfully played my test 720p conversion of Monsters vs Aliens on my iPhone 4, which used the High Profile setting and has dual audio tracks, so the iPod Touch 4th gen should have no issues.

Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #285 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Every device and library with Home Sharing enabled should show on the "Choose a Library" page unless your network is blocking the discovery (presumably Bonjour) traffic. Only pre-V10 libraries or an ATV-1g would need PINs.

One of my macs will not show its home share on the aTV or ipad remote.. My pc running itunes and my other mac do show up.. Is there anything per computer that can be checked to make sure bonjour isn't being blocked? I would think if it were being blocked on my entire network, none of the libraries would show up, but two of the three do..
post #286 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagfish View Post

Is there anything per computer that can be checked to make sure bonjour isn't being blocked? I would think if it were being blocked on my entire network, none of the libraries would show up, but two of the three do..

The app firewall can block iTunes.

Can each library see all the other libraries and can they all see the ATV in the speaker menu?
post #287 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Itunes Home Share A = Desktop Mac w/ itunes 10.0.1
Itunes Home Share B = Desktop PC (win7) w/ itunes 10.0.1
Itunes Home Share C = Macbook w/ itunes 10.0.1

B and C consistently show up under "computers" on the aTV and ipad remote. A has *never* shown up on it, but will show up on computer B's home share icons in itunes, only to disappear and reappear at random times..
post #288 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A has *never* shown up on it, but will show up on computer B's home share icons in itunes, only to disappear and reappear at random times..

Sounds like a network problem. Sadly I have no further advice to offer.
post #289 of 3262 Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Yep- and I work on networks for a living and this is a strange one.. I haven't gone as far as running wireshark on the network yet cause I've been getting by with workarounds (other libraries).. its just really annoying
post #290 of 3262 Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Itunes Home Share A = Desktop Mac w/ itunes 10.0.1
Itunes Home Share B = Desktop PC (win7) w/ itunes 10.0.1
Itunes Home Share C = Macbook w/ itunes 10.0.1

B and C consistently show up under "computers" on the aTV and ipad remote. A has *never* shown up on it, but will show up on computer B's home share icons in itunes, only to disappear and reappear at random times..

Very odd. Have you tried turning on only A and one ATV? What if only A and B are on? Is A a fixed ip? Is everything wired, wireless or both?

philip
post #291 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Does anyone have first hand experience as to what bandwidth speed the Apple TV streaming Netflix will use if it's available? Such as does it cap at 3Mbps, 6Mbps, etc? I'm just trying to determine what's overkill.
post #292 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM

I sort of answered my own question above - when I power on my television, the ATV powers up. But it really doesn't power up, just the front panel LED comes on, its not really "on" - it must see the HDMI interface from the tv lit up. Does everyone elses do the same?
post #293 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Does anyone have first hand experience as to what bandwidth speed the Apple TV streaming Netflix will use if it's available? Such as does it cap at 3Mbps, 6Mbps, etc? I'm just trying to determine what's overkill.

Well for starters - this "test network" function in the ATV - where does it display the results of the test? It runs a download test, but it doesn't tell you what the measured speed is. What good is this feature? All is says at the completion of the test is - "Done", and shows no results.
post #294 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

Well for starters - this "test network" function in the ATV - where does it display the results of the test? It runs a download test, but it doesn't tell you what the measured speed is. What good is this feature? All is says at the completion of the test is - "Done", and shows no results.

I can tell you it uses roughly 1/2 of my available bandwidth speed. Right at .8Mbps out of 1.544. Which is less than most other players. Typically the PS3 will float around 1.0Mbps to 1.25Mbps with a lot of others players hanging at 1.0Mbps. I'm wondering if it keeps the same ratios as the available bandwidth increases.
post #295 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

But it really doesn't power up, just the front panel LED comes on, its not really "on"

If the LED is lit it's "on". If it's out it's sleeping/in standby/etc. or unplugged.
post #296 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have first hand experience as to what bandwidth speed the Apple TV streaming Netflix will use if it's available?

When running the self-test it runs about 20kB/s for 330s and then ramps up to about 70% of my max (3mbs) and down to zero over about 90s. Netflix starts at 300k and then drops to 100k. Of course it starts looking sub-par.
post #297 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When running the self-test it runs about 20kB/s for 330s and then ramps up to about 70% of my max (3mbs) and down to zero over about 90s. Netflix starts at 300k and then drops to 100k. Of course it starts looking sub-par.

It appears use roughly 70% of what's available? My guess is than 6Mbps would look better than 3Mbps… 70% of 3Mbps would probably be less than the encodes require not to be throttled. I wish it would do what Hulu Plus does (on one of the players I used)… it allows you pick a speed and if it buffers too often it ask if you want to adjust it.
post #298 of 3262 Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It appears use roughly 70% of what's available?

The Apple network test uses a peak of about 70%. Netflix has a brief burst at 100% and then runs at 30%.
post #299 of 3262 Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Apple network test uses a peak of about 70%. Netflix has a brief burst at 100% and then runs at 30%.

Are you saying you have 3Mbps and Netflix is only using .9Mbps continuously? For me I have 1.5Mbps and it uses .8Mbps ongoing. Here's a chart showing the Apple TV around the .8Mbps the peaks are via the PS3 and other activity.

post #300 of 3262 Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying you have 3Mbps and Netflix is only using .9Mbps continuously?

Well it's a steady 100KB after an initial 300KB peak that lasts about 30 seconds (while it's saying connecting to Netflix).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread