Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3162 Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Weird that it is not back for everything that it should be. I had been using Example Short 23.976 as my quick check for 5.1, but that does not have it yet, just like the previously mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3162 Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Seems to be back for me on the few titles I checked.

Didn't check 'Pirates of the Caribbean' though

Edit - OK checked 'Pirates of the Caribbean' - 2.0 on Apple TV and 5.1 on Fire TV - both on Netflix of course - interesting
post #3063 of 3162 Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Edit - OK checked 'Pirates of the Caribbean' - 2.0 on Apple TV and 5.1 on Fire TV - both on Netflix of course - interesting
I'll check Pirates, DD is fine on Bones and Star Trek Into Darkness.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3064 of 3162 Old 05-29-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I'll check Pirates, DD is fine on Bones and Star Trek Into Darkness.
What I've found, Pirates was 2.0 on Apple TV and 5.1 with Netflix on Tivo, Title is shown as Dolby Digital Plus which is why the Tivo and the Amazon Fire can handle it. Avengers is 2.0 on Netflix on all tested devices and in 5.1 on Amazon Prime thru Roku.
Netflix has over time updated older titles to 5.1 Dolby Digital, the first Captain America was like that and it took awhile.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3065 of 3162 Old 05-30-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So is it just Pirates of the Caribbean or are there other titles that should be 5.1 that aren't working on the Apple TV.

Given the Apple TV gets DD 5.1 while pretty much everything gets DD+ 5.1 from Netflix it could just be a wrong encode/stream for Pirates of the Caribbean (if so report an audio issue with the title).

However if there are other titles then it may be either that the Apple TV is now getting different 5.1 titles to other players or there is still an problem with some 5.1 titles on the Apple TV.

Everything I have tried that should be 5.1 apart from Pirates of the Caribbean seems OK - but clearly that is a pretty limited check.
post #3066 of 3162 Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

So is it just Pirates of the Caribbean
The test clip has the 2.0 audio stream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3067 of 3162 Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The test clip has the 2.0 audio stream.

OK thanks. So it is puzzle why some 5.1 Netflix titles are still playing in 2.0 on the Apple TV while others are now fine.

At least those that hated the sweeping test tones on the test clip will be OK listening to Shakespeare now.
post #3068 of 3162 Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Today's (5/31/14) issue of the Wall Street Journal has an excellent piece on online movie rentals, but a subscription is required. A summary follows.

HD movies from Amazon and Redbox Instant are in 720P. iTunes and Vudu are in 1080P. Vudu HDX is 1080P, 24 frames per second, while all the others are in 60 frames per second.

Redbox Instant streams in stereo, the other services use Dolby Digital; Vudu has a few titles in 7.1 surround as well.
post #3069 of 3162 Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #3070 of 3162 Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"Vudu. Its HDX format has the same resolution and audio quality as the HD movies sold on most other sites but plays back at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as film." I know this is the Apple TV thread, but I have a Roku 3 and a Chromecast as well, and neither outputs 24p. Neither does the AppleTV. That's the next step for these streamers. Any ideas why they don't do this?
post #3071 of 3162 Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing Apple TV to stream content from my MacBook Air to my HDTV, but I was curious about the picture quality with mirroring.

Basically, I'm hoping to be able to stream shows like "Mad Men" and "Louie" from their channels' websites (after authenticating with my cable provider) and then mirroring those shows from my computer to the TV with Apple TV (which, as far as I know, is the only way to mirror a mac's display on TV).

I just wanted to make sure the image quality with mirroring would be the same as if I were to purchase the show via iTunes or some other premium service (ie full 1080p). If somebody could confirm this for me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #3072 of 3162 Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Z View Post

Today's (5/31/14) issue of the Wall Street Journal has an excellent piece on online movie rentals, but a subscription is required. A summary follows.

HD movies from Amazon and Redbox Instant are in 720P. iTunes and Vudu are in 1080P. Vudu HDX is 1080P, 24 frames per second, while all the others are in 60 frames per second.

Redbox Instant streams in stereo, the other services use Dolby Digital; Vudu has a few titles in 7.1 surround as well.

As michaeltscott pointed out to one of your duplicate posts in different threads it really isn't a well researched article.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread/1770#post_24778593

Netflix certainly encodes much of their content as P24 (as do most of the other streaming services) - unfortunately most of the streaming devices don't give you the option to output this to P24 capable displays. Same applies to Vudu which is why I use an old LG BD-390 for Vudu as it will output 1080P24 for P24 Vudu content (unlike my other more recent recent Vudu capable devices).

Amazon Instant is most certainly is available in 1080P - and on the Fire TV matches Vudu HDX in my opinion (as it should with average download speed of between 12 - 13 Mbps for Amazon Instant on the Fire TV).

As we are on the Apple TV thread - it is timely to highlight that the Apple TV is unfortunately one of the devices that has no 1080P24 output option ..........................
post #3073 of 3162 Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As michaeltscott pointed out to one of your duplicate posts in different threads it is really isn't a well researched article.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461986/official-roku-3-streaming-player-thread/1770#post_24778593

Netflix certainly encodes much of their content as P24 (as do most of the other streaming services) - unfortunately most of the streaming devices don't give you the option to output this to P24 capable displays. Same applies to Vudu which is why I use an old LG BD-390 for Vudu as it will output 1080P24 for P24 Vudu content (unlike my other more recent recent Vudu capable devices).

Amazon Instant is most certainly is available in 1080P - and on the Fire TV matches Vudu HDX in my opinion (as it should with average download speed of between 12 - 13 Mbps for Amazon Instant on the Fire TV).

As we are on the Apple TV thread - it is timely to highlight that the Apple TV is unfortunately one of the devices that has no 1080P24 output option ..........................
Tivo owners can download Amazon titles at 1080P also.

post #3074 of 3162 Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

As michaeltscott pointed out to one of your duplicate posts in different threads it is really isn't a well researched article.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this article.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #3075 of 3162 Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an Apple TV 3 and for music purchased thru Itunes, I have the option of streaming from my Ipad to apple TV via airplay or just using the Apple TV to play the purchased music from the cloud.

I have a couple of questions in regards to this.

I have purchased music "mastered for itunes" which is 44.1, 16 bit and seems to be higher quality than the "regular" itunes music. Most noticeably on all of the led zeppelin albums which are now mastered for itunes.. I understand the apple tv will upsample to 48. Not sure if I can really hear a difference, but if I wanted to maintain the 44.1, would the airport xpress be my only option?

In regards to playing music from the cloud, say on the apple tv or via the ipad and airplay... is the quality of the music streaming from the cloud the same as the quality of the downloaded file? Probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure the mastered for itunes music I purchased is the same quality whether its played from the cloud or downloaded to a computer and played locally.

The reason why I ask is because itunes has several versions of songs and I'm not sure what version would be playing from the cloud

Thanks

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #3076 of 3162 Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post

Hi all. I'm considering purchasing Apple TV to stream content from my MacBook Air to my HDTV, but I was curious about the picture quality with mirroring.

Basically, I'm hoping to be able to stream shows like "Mad Men" and "Louie" from their channels' websites (after authenticating with my cable provider) and then mirroring those shows from my computer to the TV with Apple TV (which, as far as I know, is the only way to mirror a mac's display on TV).

I just wanted to make sure the image quality with mirroring would be the same as if I were to purchase the show via iTunes or some other premium service (ie full 1080p). If somebody could confirm this for me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Not an expert, but I have done this thru a Windows 720p HD PC for sports-ESPN3; PQ was not comparable to the watch ESPN app on Apple TV-airplay is better from my I PAD 2 also.

Memphis Home Builder
post #3077 of 3162 Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

I have an Apple TV 3 and for music purchased thru Itunes, I have the option of streaming from my Ipad to apple TV via airplay or just using the Apple TV to play the purchased music from the cloud.

I have a couple of questions in regards to this.

I have purchased music "mastered for itunes" which is 44.1, 16 bit and seems to be higher quality than the "regular" itunes music. Most noticeably on all of the led zeppelin albums which are now mastered for itunes.. I understand the apple tv will upsample to 48. Not sure if I can really hear a difference, but if I wanted to maintain the 44.1, would the airport xpress be my only option?

In regards to playing music from the cloud, say on the apple tv or via the ipad and airplay... is the quality of the music streaming from the cloud the same as the quality of the downloaded file? Probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure the mastered for itunes music I purchased is the same quality whether its played from the cloud or downloaded to a computer and played locally.

The reason why I ask is because itunes has several versions of songs and I'm not sure what version would be playing from the cloud

Thanks

Are you using iTunes Match or iCloud? If you are, then those are 256kbps "copies" stored in the cloud of the existing files to the best of my knowledge (which is identical to what you get when you buy music via iTunes). If you ripped a CD to, for example, WAV, which has a data rate of about 1.411Mbps, then played the corresponding "match" from iCloud or iTunes Match, that could be a 256kbps "lower quality" version of the file.

The Mastered for iTunes files may be the same data rate (are they 256kbps when you play them?), but the mastering is different. There's an interesting document about how Mastering for iTunes works here . Mastered for iTunes, while it may/may not be the same bit depth/sample rate/data rate, is more about not compressing and otherwise mangling the audio files, a common side effect of the "loudness wars." So the difference you're hearing may be due to the mastering practices and not necessarily a file that's different in terms of bits/sample rate/data rate.

My guess is, if your Mastered for iTunes files are 256kbps data rate, then they will be the same quality level if played from iCloud/iTunes Match or from your PC/other device. Any files played from iCloud, if they are NOT 256kbps files, will be changed to that 256kbps rate (this overview page seems to imply that).

Any files played at home from a PC, tablet, etc (from a local hard drive i.e. not from a cloud or internet source) should maintain the same data rate/bit rate. They will be resampled via Apple TV to 48kHz, but other than that I don't think there will be other "alterations" to the file when played back.

Edit to add:
I personally did not witness an appreciable increase/decrease in audio quality playing the same file back via AirPlay to AppleTV versus playing via UPNP to my Oppo BDP-83 (which preserves the sample rate as 44.1kHz). The convenience of AirPlay usually wins out in this case. I don't think getting an AE is an absolute must for you- I've also seen scattered reports of the optical port on the AEs being finicky with some outboard devices.
post #3078 of 3162 Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post

Thanks!

More than likely it will not be the same quality, unless there is some information on their website confirming the streaming quality.

Streaming, in my experience, from AMCs website, never approached the quality offered by an equivalent iTunes store purchase. Also, those streams will likely be in Stereo sound, so if any iTunes/premium service offers 5.1 soundtracks, you would be missing that too. The quality of the stream will also vary depending on the quality of your connection, and there may be commercial interruptions.

In my opinion, mirroring via AppleTV will often not provide the same quality as the show purchased via iTunes unless the site you are streaming from and your Internet connection can ensure HD quality streams, which most cannot.
rjhseven likes this.
post #3079 of 3162 Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recall reading a few months ago, maybe even last year, that Apple TV 4 was probable this Spring. Unless I missed it, that didn't happen. Any ETA and good rumors as to what might be new and when to expect such a release? I had read that a cable coax input was being discussed. If so, it would seem that DVR features would also be included on such a device.

Was contemplating a Roku 3 purchase, but being a growing OSX and IOS family, I'm inclined to wait to see what Apple has in store for us... Thanks.
post #3080 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I follow the news on this site, and mentions of the AppleTV have been scarce.

http://www.macrumors.com/
TonyB1966 likes this.

post #3081 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Totally forgot about that website. Thank you.

It would seem that a 4th gen is due, overdue by some accounts. Roku 4 too...
post #3082 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
I recall reading a few months ago, maybe even last year, that Apple TV 4 was probable this Spring. Unless I missed it, that didn't happen. Any ETA and good rumors as to what might be new and when to expect such a release? I had read that a cable coax input was being discussed. If so, it would seem that DVR features would also be included on such a device.

Was contemplating a Roku 3 purchase, but being a growing OSX and IOS family, I'm inclined to wait to see what Apple has in store for us... Thanks.
I been waiting since last year for a new ATV4. Every stupid confernce they have they announce nothing about it. Who knows maybe Apple is going to abadon the ATV and stick with iMacs, iPhones and iPads.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3083 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't think Apple will abandon the ATV since they keep adding new content. After they bought the motion sensor company, PrimeSense, it seems a motion-control system will replace the traditional remote that gets easily lost. If that type of innovation will be on the next ATV, it will be worth the wait.
post #3084 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I hope not I am just tired of all the false release date rumors.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3085 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 PM

It truly seems that iTV or something like that will happen, probably not this year though. I think Apple is very serious about the living room. ATV4 seems like a must, at least in the interim. Spec-wise, the Amazon Fire is appealing. Roku will probably answer with the Roku 4 soon, I would think...

Thanks for the input everyone.
post #3086 of 3162 Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Every stupid confernce they have they announce nothing about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I hope not I am just tired of all the false release date rumors.
???

It seems a little strange to be upset about a product that hasn't been announced and no-one really knows what or if it might be?

What is it about the Apple TV 3rd Generation you own that you want to see improved?
post #3087 of 3162 Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't know if you guys saw the coverage of the to-be-announced-later-this-year "Homekit" which was discussed at developer world (and appears to be Apple's entry into the home automation market) ...but in following up on articles discussing it and potential competition from Google, there was speculation that a new version of the AppleTV might morph into a Homekit controller. Most home automation/monitoring products out there today already have apps for Apple and Android anyway so there might be good synergy there. I already monitor a CO2/Smoke sensor (by Nest) and an internal temperature sensor (from IOBridge) that send alerts to my iPhone. The IOBridge stuff requires it's own wireless controller as do products from companies such as Insteon .. and I assume that the AppleTV could support that function. The "internet of things" consumer market is exploding with a bunch of piecemeal solutions .. I'd welcome an Apple attempt to standardize an approach that works with my Apple infrastructure.
Pvr4Craig likes this.
post #3088 of 3162 Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am not sure there needs to be a new Apple TV. Mine does a lot quite nicely for $99.

Gary J

post #3089 of 3162 Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I am not sure there needs to be a new Apple TV. Mine does a lot quite nicely for $99.
I agree, once they released a version with 1080p capabilities, I'm not sure there's anything more except maybe HD audio?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #3090 of 3162 Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I agree, once they released a version with 1080p capabilities, I'm not sure there's anything more except maybe HD audio?
Just remember, Apple has a way of coming up with things you didn't know you needed and market it in a way that makes you want it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page