Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3117 Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the entertainment market, Apple wants to sell content and the equipment is just a tool to deliver the content. Apple was extensively working with cable providers and networks to iron out content delivery through Apple.......and then Xfinity merger with TimeWarner screwed up everything. Your nextgen ATV will be ready when the content is ready to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3117 Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just want a new unit where home sharing consistently works and with AC band wireless built in.
post #3093 of 3117 Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
In the entertainment market, Apple wants to sell content and the equipment is just a tool to deliver the content. Apple was extensively working with cable providers and networks to iron out content delivery through Apple.......and then Xfinity merger with TimeWarner screwed up everything. Your nextgen ATV will be ready when the content is ready to go.
I hope so as performance on the ATV3 during prime time hours on Netflix is so inconsistent. I watched a movie last night no problems but after trying to watch something else it keep dropping down to stupid SD so I gave up and watched it on my Roku 3 no problem.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3094 of 3117 Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Netflix performance is unrelated to new hardware.

Paying any attention to speculation about Apple products is a waste of time. Most of the stuff doesn't rise to level of rumor -- it's produced by people with an anti-Apple axe to grind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3095 of 3117 Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read that this is the provider throttling the data to control costs. It's been rumored to be moved around from platform device to device. Netflix is being extorted to a degree.
post #3096 of 3117 Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
One rumor dismissal, followed by another rumor. Ya gotta luv AVS Forums.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3097 of 3117 Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This way to the Egress.

post #3098 of 3117 Old 07-13-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
One rumor dismissal, followed by another rumor. Ya gotta luv AVS Forums.
Do the research for yourself instead of whining. It's all out there if you don't need a spoon.
post #3099 of 3117 Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Do the research for yourself instead of whining. It's all out there if you don't need a spoon.
When did this forum get so harsh. Let's relax ladies and gents!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #3100 of 3117 Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
This has been discussed (actually pretty much beaten to death) on the AVS forums and Mr. G has been an active participant and certainly knows the background and issues.

If you want to post on this try here but I would suggest posting a little more detail on what you think the issue is.

Thanks
post #3101 of 3117 Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We finally got post-play for Netflix! That makes me happy. Unfortunately I still have been getting really bad Netflix performance on my ATV 3 lately and the way the ATV interface doesn't keep my spot when moving back and forth between movies and such has become very irksome after using my new Roku Streaming Stick. We shall see.

Last edited by xcrunner529; 07-22-2014 at 05:28 AM.
post #3102 of 3117 Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post
We finally got post-play for Netflix! That makes me happy. Unfortunately I still have been getting really bad Netflix performance on my ATV 3 lately and the way the ATV interface doesn't keep my spot when moving back and forth between movies and such has become very irksome after using my new Roku Streaming Stick. We shall see.
My Netflix on AT3 is great. I have Roku 3 also; prefer Apple. Just wish they would get Showtime (Homeland). But that app sucks on Roku 3-buffers constantly. Nothing else buffers on either device i have.

Memphis Home Builder
post #3103 of 3117 Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
You like when you press back that it randomly decides to not keep your spot in your list and puts you back at the top? You like choosing a profile each time and watching lots of "Loading" screens? That's what my ATV experience is compared to the Roku. Lots of menus, loading screens, and clicking.
post #3104 of 3117 Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post
You like when you press back that it randomly decides to not keep your spot in your list and puts you back at the top? You like choosing a profile each time and watching lots of "Loading" screens? That's what my ATV experience is compared to the Roku. Lots of menus, loading screens, and clicking.
Mine always resumes at pause spot with same profile unless I change it with no "loading screen". have very goof WiFi. Roku 3 has some good features (better remote, more channels) but interface is not as good for me as I mainly watch netflix, HBo Go on AT3.

Memphis Home Builder
post #3105 of 3117 Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I haven't had many Netflix issues on either of my ATV2s, although my use is sporadic.

Frankly, I still really love my ATVs, and other than adding Amazon Prime streaming, there's not a whole lot I'd really care to see in a update.

Actually, strike that, one HUGE thing I'd like to see, which can easily be done by Apple with a simple software update: Better management of large movie collections. I have nearly 1,000 movies (and countless TV shows) hosted on my network, and the interface, a simple A-Z list, is getting really cumbersome to scroll through. "Unwatched" trims the list somewhat, but is useless for actually already-watched movies, of course, and the Genre tab is useless since most movies are tabbed with more than one genre and the way the ATV interface lists every combination separately renders that fairly useless. Some way to organize this all better (also, critically, a tab that organizes by "date added" so I can bring up newly-added movies) would be a HUGE benefit. Thank goodness for the little "gallery" that comes up when you select the Computer icon on the main screen, which shows approx 10 most-recently added (and watched) movies/shows/songs (I forget the actual number, but 10 sounds about right). That's a huge help, but if I want something that's one older than 10 most recent, a-scrolling I will go... LAME. I have iPads and iPhones, and the remote app helps, but it's a bit cumbersome to pull out every time, unlock, find the remote app, launch, connect to the correct ATV, and finally start typing. I'm sure the UI geniuses at Apple can come up with a better way for us to manage large collections of movies and shows. (Music interface suffices as-is, for me)

But even without the ATV3, the 720p video quality on my ATV2 remains beautiful, on both a 40" Sony LCD and a 65" Panny Plasma. Of course, anything that I truly care about, from a sound or PQ standpoint, gets watched directly off the blu-ray. Still, plenty of casual content available for movies and shows where the ultimate in PQ is not essential. (dramas, most TV shows, etc.)

Short of a major update that will allow me to stream full-quality BR rips with uncompressed audio in 7.1 (I'll have to start buying a lot more storage, in that case), I really can't think of what I want in a hardware update. Maybe Siri for voice search? And some sort of microphone, preferably one that still lets me use my Harmony remote, of course. But otherwise, aside from longing for those few software updates, I'm very satisfied with my ATV2s. I'd upgrade to an ATV3, but... why bother?
post #3106 of 3117 Old 07-25-2014, 02:26 PM

^^^^

It's a minor pain, but just hit "get info" on your movies/TV shows in iTunes and update the tags with whatever genre you want that makes sense to you. I agree that the local streaming interface isn't great, but it's ok and updating the tagging helps.

Jgiddyup
post #3107 of 3117 Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Any HD Music Videos Available for purchase ?

On my Apple TV, I've been looking to purchase some music videos through my I-Tunes account in the "Music" section..... All the ones I've looked at (Pharrell Williams, Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull) show only a "widescreen" version for purchase.... Can this be right ?.... NO HD Music Videos can be purchased on Apple TV ???
post #3108 of 3117 Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
^^^^

It's a minor pain, but just hit "get info" on your movies/TV shows in iTunes and update the tags with whatever genre you want that makes sense to you. I agree that the local streaming interface isn't great, but it's ok and updating the tagging helps.
I tagged all of my movies myself, and many movies genuinely fall under multiple genres.

Even if I wanted to force everything to artificial genres, and just pick one when multiple is more correct (giving up all hope that Apple fixes this someday), changing the tags on 1,000 movies isn't something I really have a desire to do.

Again, I can live with it as-is, but since we're discussing upgrades...
post #3109 of 3117 Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A couple of weeks ago there was an update to my ATV3. Changes that I noticed are...

1. There is now a splash screen that pops up showing "What's New" with icons of new apps that are available. It seems to be only shown once and maybe it will pop up again when new apps become available. Previously, new apps would just automatically show up on the home screen (Main Menu). But now they must be chosen from Settings >Main Menu. I guess the What's New pop up lets you know that there are new ones available.

2. The Netflix Example Short demo now consistently plays in Dolby Digital.
post #3110 of 3117 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #3111 of 3117 Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
My Netflix on AT3 is great. I have Roku 3 also; prefer Apple. Just wish they would get Showtime (Homeland). But that app sucks on Roku 3-buffers constantly. Nothing else buffers on either device i have.
Showtime app just added for ATV.
rjhseven likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3112 of 3117 Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is there a way to add an app to AppleTV, specifically the FoxSports app?
post #3113 of 3117 Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
No or not yet or not on the current device (ATV3) with the current OS (iOS7).

There are suggestions this may change but even if it does you'll probably be restricted to ATV specific/approved apps.

post #3114 of 3117 Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I didn't think so but since there's already a Fox app, I thought that there may be a way to add a FoxSports app.
post #3115 of 3117 Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Maybe one day we'll actually get an ATV App Store.
post #3116 of 3117 Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #3117 of 3117 Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
That would be fantastic!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page