Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 114 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3391 of 3412 Old 04-17-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I could have sworn I saw Dolby Digital + on a movie I was watching on Apple the other day. I may have been seeing things?
Look at post 3387 above. If you can show that the ATV supports DD+, then take a snapshot and post it. Otherwise, listen to what others are saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3412 Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Google will be dropping support for the YouTube app on older devices including Apple TV 1 and 2 :/

Source - iOSDaily
post #3393 of 3412 Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzle1 View Post
Google will be dropping support for the YouTube app on older devices including Apple TV 1 and 2 :/

Source - iOSDaily
Very disappointed to see that. I hate the current YouTube app on the Roku3. I subscribe to 5 or 6 channels and when I use the app I just want to see what the newest uploads to the channels are. The AppleTV app is great for that. Now my best option is the app on the iPad and use AirPlay.
post #3394 of 3412 Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post
Very disappointed to see that. I hate the current YouTube app on the Roku3. I subscribe to 5 or 6 channels and when I use the app I just want to see what the newest uploads to the channels are. The AppleTV app is great for that. Now my best option is the app on the iPad and use AirPlay.
Kick your older ATV2 to another room, and pick up a cheap ATV3, and you can still use the app as intended. It's only going away on the old models, not the new ones. (And I still think a new ATV4 has to be coming soon)
post #3395 of 3412 Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I still have the old YouTube app on my ATV3, my guess is because I didn't update the OS (I'm running 6.2)

What are the pros and cons of the new version? Does it show ads?

Also what is the current version of iOS? Any new features worth updating?
post #3396 of 3412 Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The new channel does show ads many you can't even skip. I will stick with OneTube on the Fire TV which has a cumbersome interface but has no annoying ads.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using Google DNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV 3, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3397 of 3412 Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
As much as I love the ATV, my go to device is the Chromecast for any YouTube content. And with the latest update, I can use my TVs remote to control playback.
Gary J likes this.
post #3398 of 3412 Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
As much as I love the ATV, my go to device is the Chromecast for any YouTube content. And with the latest update, I can use my TVs remote to control playback.
My YouTube usage is pretty much limited to watching a single clip that I found as a link on a website (e.g. Facebook, AVSForum, etc.). So, for me, I just use the web interface (Safari on my iPhone and iPad or Foxfire/IE on my laptop). And, if I want to watch the video on my TV, I AirPlay it from my phone.
post #3399 of 3412 Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I follow many steady video producing channels so I find the new ATV3 YouTube app very good for my needs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gary J likes this.
post #3400 of 3412 Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
The new channel does show ads many you can't even skip. I will stick with OneTube on the Fire TV which has a cumbersome interface but has no annoying ads.
Yeah, I wasn't getting a video in all my lists that this version will not be supported. I went ahead and updated the iOS, I got the new YouTube app which looks better, but sucks, especially with all the ads.

The good part is that the interface of the ATV3 seems snappier and the 10 sec back /30 sec fwd steps are almost instant now, at least on HBOGO and NHL app (these apps don't buffer like the Youtube app). I don't have Netflix right now, so don't how it works with that

But, before I did that, I tried the YouTube add-on in Kodi on my chromebox. It's better than the old app on ATV3, navigation is the same, but it has contextual menus, channel art and icons and most importantly no ads
post #3401 of 3412 Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Apple need to start upgrading their iTunes movies soon if they're serious about the Apple TV, as VUDU is introducing 4K streaming sometime this year (apparently).

The quality of the iTunes movies (currently) are really good at the moment (imo), but it feels VUDU is winning at the streaming/buying digital movies 'game'.

At the very least they could start doing more movie/tv deals every week, because we're not getting much digital codes anymore from our physical purchases.
nathan_h likes this.
post #3402 of 3412 Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Anyone else that follows this thread curious
About the new Apple TV coming out in June?

I have to admit that I have been waiting
Patiently for the new device. I'm tired of
Reading about All the rumors floating around.

My experience with the atv3 in my bedroom has
Generally been positive and I want to add
The new model to my Den set up where 80%
Of my TV viewing occurs.

I have a Mac mini,iPhones,iPads and an iPod.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3403 of 3412 Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 157
^^^Announcement expected at the 2015 edition of its Worldwide Developers Conference which will run from June 8 through June 12 in San Francisco.

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-tv-2015/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3404 of 3412 Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 223
New Apple TV yes, announced before fall, no. Cnet as a source..you gotta be kidding. A new TV service being announced maybe, it's the developers conference and that would actually make sense.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3405 of 3412 Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
New Apple TV yes, announced before fall, no. Cnet as a source..you gotta be kidding. A new TV service being announced maybe, it's the developers conference and that would actually make sense.
It was just one of several websites speculating on the new Apple TV. Doesn't really matter does it?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3406 of 3412 Old 06-14-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Anyone else that follows this thread curious
About the new Apple TV coming out in June?
I feel fairly confident that there will be no new AppleTV (hardware) announced in June of 2015. At WWDC or elsewhere.

I'm also fairly confident the Apple subscription television service will not be announced in June of 2015.
reddice likes this.
post #3407 of 3412 Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I feel fairly confident that there will be no new AppleTV (hardware) announced in June of 2015. At WWDC or elsewhere.

I'm also fairly confident the Apple subscription television service will not be announced in June of 2015.
Yeah, I was disappointed..even made room for
The new unit in my main rack.

But, I will continue to wait for the new unit.
reddice likes this.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3408 of 3412 Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I already practically gave up on a new Apple TV. I got a refurbished one from Apple in 2013 as a stop gate until the new one came out and 2+ years later I am still waiting. Meanwhile I got a Fire TV which I replaced with a Fire TV stick. The Fire TV box is okay but I rather have the stick which is hidden but no I still have to have the ugly Apple TV which I can't really hide because it uses a IR remote. The interface on the Apple TV is terribly dated and slow. The only reason why I have to keep it connected is for the Watch Disney channels as it is "the only device" literally that can play and maintain a HD stream on the live and on demand content. Otherwise I use my Fire TV stick and even my PS4 "more for gaming though" instead.

Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV 3, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3409 of 3412 Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzle1 View Post
Apple need to start upgrading their iTunes movies soon if they're serious about the Apple TV, as VUDU is introducing 4K streaming sometime this year (apparently).

The quality of the iTunes movies (currently) are really good at the moment (imo), but it feels VUDU is winning at the streaming/buying digital movies 'game'.

At the very least they could start doing more movie/tv deals every week, because we're not getting much digital codes anymore from our physical purchases.
One thing ATV has that it's competition lacks is a buffer for purchased content and much of the free podcast content. VUDU may go 4K but if it's only adaptive streaming it won't be consistent. A large buffer is a good as a download, downloads have a more consistent video quality. VUDU is not winning anything.
reddice likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3410 of 3412 Old 06-19-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
One thing ATV has that it's competition lacks is a buffer for purchased content and much of the free podcast content. VUDU may go 4K but if it's only adaptive streaming it won't be consistent. A large buffer is a good as a download, downloads have a more consistent video quality. VUDU is not winning anything.
Yes, Apple TV is just about the only device and service that has this feature -- in fact, one can buffer a whole movie (rental or purchase) using iTunes on a computer and then sharing it to the ATV.

Even VUDU engineers have said in their forum that this is why ATV content can have fewer motion artifacts -- the fact that the compression is designed for download, rather than for streaming, allows a higher bit rate during complex passages than a streaming-optimized system like HDX.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #3411 of 3412 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you. I freaking hate adaptive streaming or what I call it adaptdumb streaming with the worst offender being Netflix. I don't see with my 50+Mbps connection why it just can't buffer and cache download a big portion of what I am watching instead of its so called adjusting the stream quality in real time so I end up going from a nice clear HD picture to a dubbed VHS copy.

Cats are the best pets.
post #3412 of 3412 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I agree with you. I freaking hate adaptive streaming or what I call it adaptdumb streaming with the worst offender being Netflix. I don't see with my 50+Mbps connection why it just can't buffer and cache download a big portion of what I am watching instead of its so called adjusting the stream quality in real time so I end up going from a nice clear HD picture to a dubbed VHS copy.
And what's with Netflix's problematic performance compared to the other Apple Apps? I have a pretty robust pipe, 40mbps +, but lots of issues with Netflix compared to HBOGo or Apple Trailers and certainly compared to Apple Movies or Apple TV. I've got an ethernet setup so my content sourced from our Mac Pro is very reliable. Like others, I've looked forward to a Apple TV hardware upgrade but in reality I think my problem these days is with my service provider, Netflix, and not my hardware.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread