Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3451 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Member
 
jer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Apple has had three years to design a new Apple TV. I'm underwhelmed so far by the leaked specs.

4K isn't a gimmick marketing ploy like Curved TVs or 3-D to get people to upgrade their TV. From first-hand accounts on these forums, it can upscale 1080i or 1080p for a gorgeous picture. I just bought one myself and look forward to unboxing it tonight.
jer88 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3452 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
4K isn't a gimmick marketing ploy like Curved TVs or 3-D to get people to upgrade their TV. From first-hand accounts on these forums, it can upscale 1080i or 1080p for a gorgeous picture. I just bought one myself and look forward to unboxing it tonight.
Frankly, that't a fairly strong argument for leaving the ATV at 1080p.

Since there is little to no native 4k content, and 4k sets do such a decent job of upconverting the 1080p content that's out there, why not just leave it at 1080p?

(Not that this would be MY vote, but still, given the current state of things, it seems at least arguably reasonable)
Kalani is offline  
post #3453 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 10,579
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Frankly, that't a fairly strong argument for leaving the ATV at 1080p.

Since there is little to no native 4k content, and 4k sets do such a decent job of upconverting the 1080p content that's out there, why not just leave it at 1080p?

(Not that this would be MY vote, but still, given the current state of things, it seems at least arguably reasonable)
I have owned a fine 4K TV (Sony XBR65X900a) for over a year. I also have the Sony FMP-X10 4K media player. This gives me access to downloadable 4K content from the Sony Entertainment Network, as well as 4K streaming from Netflix. Even with these capabilities in place, the amount of native 4K content is still rather sparse, so I end up actually viewing something in native 4K on average once a month.

However, as all 4K displays do, the Sony does an excellent job of up-converting all content to the display's 4K resolution. TBH, it is difficult for me to tell the difference between a Blu-ray playing on my Oppo 103 (or my ATV) in 1080p, which is then up-scaled on the Sony, from native 4K content from the X10 player. So, I am not that disappointed that the new Apple TV won't have 4K capabilities. I am perfectly content to wait until UHD Blu-ray players hit the market in late 2015 or early 2016. Once mainstream players are available, movie studios may actually start releasing 4K titles. Wouldn't that be great?
Kalani likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #3454 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Member
 
madtapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
Apple has had three years to design a new Apple TV. I'm underwhelmed so far by the leaked specs.

4K isn't a gimmick marketing ploy like Curved TVs or 3-D to get people to upgrade their TV. From first-hand accounts on these forums, it can upscale 1080i or 1080p for a gorgeous picture. I just bought one myself and look forward to unboxing it tonight.
Exactly! 3 years! 4K is here and now in my opinion, and not supporting it seems like a misstep especially if it'll be another 3 years before the next hardware rolls out. It's seems outdated already never mind 2018. Hopefully, the next revision comes well before then.
madtapper is offline  
post #3455 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtapper View Post
Exactly! 3 years! 4K is here and now in my opinion, and not supporting it seems like a misstep especially if it'll be another 3 years before the next hardware rolls out. It's seems outdated already never mind 2018. Hopefully, the next revision comes well before then.
They are going to coming out with a 4K phone which I would never get it probably gets real crappy OST battery life. My Nexus 6 only as a 2K screen and the OST stinks with battery.
Then I heard they will be pushing 8K soon maybe by next year CES.

Enough is enough 1080p is fine for now just don't go below that.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Google Chromecast, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #3456 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gerardo2068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I wish people would learn the truth about PPI. 4K on a smart phone is just pure gimmick.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gerardo2068 is offline  
post #3457 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
I wish people would learn the truth about PPI. 4K on a smart phone is just pure gimmick.
Not really. Storing that 4k video may be an issue, but there's no reason you can't shoot at a high resolution with the intention of playing it back on a high resolution device. There are many 4k video cameras out for sale which are put to good use, so why not on the phone? (storage issues aside)

If nothing else, converting the 4k video down to 1080p tends to deliver a better final product than dealing with native 1080p.
Kalani is offline  
post #3458 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gerardo2068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sorry read the post wrong. I mean having 4K on a 5.5 inch screen


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gerardo2068 is offline  
post #3459 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Limp Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newmanstown PA
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was really excited to hear that Apple is coming out with a new ATV, but so far the rumors have me disappointed. I was planing on getting two of them. One for my bedroom to replace the old 360 and one for the kids playroom to replace the old PS3. I was going to trade them in for $200 credit at Gamestop towards a PS4 to go with my XB1 in the family room. Both systems are only used for Netflix, Hulu, Plex and Amazon anyhow. But I can't see spending up to $199 per unit for features that at this time don't seem warranted. Ok a faster processor and more memory, but am I really going to be that impatient waiting an extra second or two for a screen to load? I'm almost thinking about just getting 2 ATV3's or dare I say Roku's? Heck I might as well even keep the gaming consoles. Until I hear more from their press conference on the 9th, I am upset at the claimed price vs features. Maybe it will wow me. I hope so given that every OS in my house is Apple based besides the HTPC. I mean, is there something I'm missing people? God, now I feel like a fan boy It's seems from the previous comments that a lot of people feel the same way so far.

US ARMY: 11C38

another Deployment? ...you don't say
Limp Fox is offline  
post #3460 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 129
All of this buying into what rag writers say is some funny stuff


http://www.wareable.com/apple-watch/...-mill-debunked
Gary J is online now  
post #3461 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gerardo2068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Apple TV owners' thread.

I don't see them increasing the price over $99

Unless...there's a lot more that deserve it. Assuming it will just be a better processor and more memory and it will cost $199 seems silly to me.

Apple cannot be that crazy to make it $199 and just update the processor.

They kept selling the ATV 3 at $99 even though they increase the processor from ATV 2. So I just can't not believe that all they gonna do is a couple chip updates and make it $199

The have to make it a lot better for that price. Even hard core fans won't buy it if is just a processor update at $199
Gerardo2068 is offline  
post #3462 of 3465 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
I don't see them increasing the price over $99

Unless...there's a lot more that deserve it. Assuming it will just be a better processor and more memory and it will cost $199 seems silly to me.

Apple cannot be that crazy to make it $199 and just update the processor.

They kept selling the ATV 3 at $99 even though they increase the processor from ATV 2. So I just can't not believe that all they gonna do is a couple chip updates and make it $199

The have to make it a lot better for that price. Even hard core fans won't buy it if is just a processor update at $199
Exactly, the streamer market is very price sensitive.
Gerardo2068 likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #3463 of 3465 Unread Today, 03:28 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody.

And I am wondering will they rework their mobile app for Applle TV. Still it continues to overscroll menu icons and needs many improvements

Does anybody heard anything? What do you think?

Or maybe it will become useless with the new remote..
Anjarovskaya is offline  
post #3464 of 3465 Unread Today, 05:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 129
While all of the rumors are just that, I keep my fingers that we will see 4K support. The content is coming in UHD-BD late 2015/early 2016. I would love to see Apple take a more commanding/leading role in that, but in the back of mind I know it won't happen. So, at the very least I would like to see it have the ability to support 4K output for those apps that could support the resolution (i.e. Plex, Kodi, etc).

The Living Room: Sony XBR-75X940C

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC, Marantz AV8802A, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, 2 x Emotiva XPA-200, 2 x MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 4 x MartinLogan Motion 4 (Ceiling/Height), 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
Balthazar2k4 is online now  
post #3465 of 3465 Unread Today, 05:49 AM
Member
 
jer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
While all of the rumors are just that, I keep my fingers that we will see 4K support. The content is coming in UHD-BD late 2015/early 2016. I would love to see Apple take a more commanding/leading role in that, but in the back of mind I know it won't happen. So, at the very least I would like to see it have the ability to support 4K output for those apps that could support the resolution (i.e. Plex, Kodi, etc).
Exactly. Whether people want to believe it or not, 4K is eventually going to replace 1080p. I would wager that Amazon's next generation of the Fire TV will offer 4K support with the 4K content they offer on their streaming service.

Most homes don't have adequate internet speeds to stream 4K, but I happen to live in a city that offers gigabit internet service from two different providers. It will be three when Google Fiber builds out the network in Nashville.

Let's hope Apple has "Just One More Thing" up their sleeve on Wednesday for the Apple TV 4.
Balthazar2k4 likes this.
jer88 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off