post #361 of 3104 Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post

I'm confused about the difference between what's available for rental vs purchase on the new Apple TV 2.0.

You can't purchase items on the ATV-2g. Given the small space available (enough for four HD "hours") Apple probably decided it would be even sillier than buying HD with a 40G drive.

Quote:

I'm not talking about purchasing on a computer and shared via an itunes library-- this would be too complicated for my older father.

The ATV-2g is the wrong device. An ATV-1g would work (refurbs are still available from Apple).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3104 Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Anyone else not able to access Netflix? I can access other services even Netflix using my Mini but not via the Apple TV...

UPDATE: I guess it's Netflix as their telephone line starts with.. We are experienced problems streaming...

UPDATE 2: Now the Apple TV's Netflix app says "Netflix is currently unavailable. Try again later."
post #363 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Anyone else not able to access Netflix? I can access other services even Netflix using my Mini but not via the Apple TV...

UPDATE: I guess it's Netflix as their telephone line starts with.. We are experienced problems streaming...

UPDATE 2: Now the Apple TV's Netflix app says "Netflix is currently unavailable. Try again later."

That happened to me and they are supposed to credit my account. I did not contact them.

If you have access to the movie Tell No One, could you let me know if it appears with the correct aspect ratio on the ATV? It didn't for me and I had to use my Mini which displayed it properly though the quality wasn't as good.

Philip
post #364 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

If you have access to the movie Tell No One, could you let me know if it appears with the correct aspect ratio on the ATV?

Assuming you mean the French-made thriller from 2006 it's in 2.35:1 on my ATV-2g.
post #365 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Liked: 10
i jailbroke two apple tv's last week and have plex running on both of them. so far its only a PoC, but it works pretty great and theres a ton of potential there. a lot of the video plugins still work (south park, conan, comedy central, etc..) and hulu works as long as you downgrade to the previous version of flash. netflix still works fine as does all of its intended functions. there are some hiccups here and there playing local files, but thats completely expected this early on. there are times where it will work for hours flawlessly. it will accept 1080p content but output is still limited to 720p.
post #366 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Assuming you mean the French-made thriller from 2006 it's in 2.35:1 on my ATV-2g.

Yes, that is the movie. Do the characters appear to be squished with that ratio? It ran in 1.85:1 on my Mini and seemed right. On the ATV it ran as 2.35:1 and only looked ok if I changed my TV by zooming. I am familiar with the way those actors look and they just didn't look right on the ATV! Great movie by the way.

Philip
post #367 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstepisodeever View Post

i jailbroke two apple tv's last week and have plex running on both of them. so far its only a PoC, but it works pretty great and theres a ton of potential there. a lot of the video plugins still work (south park, conan, comedy central, etc..) and hulu works as long as you downgrade to the previous version of flash. netflix still works fine as does all of its intended functions. there are some hiccups here and there playing local files, but thats completely expected this early on. there are times where it will work for hours flawlessly. it will accept 1080p content but output is still limited to 720p.

That is really interesting. I wonder if AirVideo would work on a jail broken ATV? That app is really nice. With Plex pushing LG I wonder what incentive they will have to push an ATV solution?

Philip
post #368 of 3104 Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that is the movie. Do the characters appear to be squished with that ratio?

Nope and IMDB says the movie is 2.35.
post #369 of 3104 Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:

That is really interesting. I wonder if AirVideo would work on a jail broken ATV? That app is really nice. With Plex pushing LG I wonder what incentive they will have to push an ATV solution?

Philip

until apple provides an sdk for developers, I dont think youll see anything official from plex on the atv anytime soon. im actually surprised they even let us talk/post about the hack in their forums.

im also anxious to see if the new airplay update that supports video will handle non-itunes content. like, if you were running the plex ios client on your iphone and wanted to throw that video to th eapple tv.
post #370 of 3104 Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM

A couple questions. Has anyone streamed music from their PC to their ATV yet? how do you find the sound quality? and can I stream video content from any web page through the ATV? Thanks
post #371 of 3104 Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post

A couple questions. Has anyone streamed music from their PC to their ATV yet? how do you find the sound quality? and can I stream video content from any web page through the ATV? Thanks

I have (imac-to-atv2) and its fine. and no not yet, bu there may be some hope soon with this bit of news today:

http://gizmodo.com/5693251/web-brows...oken-apple-tvs
post #372 of 3104 Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM

I set up my 2nd gen Apple TV today and all works pretty well.

I'm having trouble getting my AVR to put out 5.1 audio from my movie rips after converting them to Apple TV format (1280x720, 6 channel AAC or AC3 audio). I've read through many threads all over the internet without finding any successful solutions.

When I put the videos in iTunes, they are listed as having multichannel audio. When playing through the aTV to my Pioneer VSX-1020-K A/V recevier all I get is stereo. Whether I pass the audio through HDMI or optical I still get stereo sound. The Dolby Digital setting on the aTV is set to "ON". Setting it to "OFF" or "AUTO" all have the same effects.

I'm currently downloading a TV show from iTunes that is in HD with 5.1 sound. If that comes through with 5.1 then I don't know what else I can do about my local content.

For SD videos I prefer handbrake. Using a setting with AC3 passthrough still plays through my AVR in stereo. For HD video I'm trying out Pavtube iMedia converter. The software looks very powerful. They aTV setting for HD video is 1280x720 with 6 channel AAC audio. Those videos come through only in stereo as well. Any advice? Thanks.

edit: If it helps any, the downloaded TV episode from iTunes lists the audio as "stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1". With my rips, it simply says "multi".
post #373 of 3104 Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 AM

Stick to Handbrake for HD as well as SD video. Pavtube is a joke. For example, the Apple TV has never been able to output 6-channel AAC so that has no place in an Apple TV setting. Handbrake will do it perfectly every time.

Not sure why you're only getting stereo from AC3 passthrough, though. Did you try to select the audio track from the aTV?
post #374 of 3104 Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post
Stick to Handbrake for HD as well as SD video. Pavtube is a joke. For example, the Apple TV has never been able to output 6-channel AAC so that has no place in an Apple TV setting. Handbrake will do it perfectly every time.

Not sure why you're only getting stereo from AC3 passthrough, though. Did you try to select the audio track from the aTV?
Thank you. the downloaded video passed DD5.1 well, as did the Handbrake rip of my Goldmember DVD. I'm currently converting a 1080p mkv using Handbrake, so hopefully I'll get HD videos working soon. It seemed that every other time I tried to use HB for HD it would crash (0.9.3). I updated to 0.9.4 and it's chugging along as I type this.

I won't have time to figure this out for myself until later this weekend, but will HB rip straight from blu-ray or must I rip it first with another method?

Edit: Before I left for work this morning I found out that Blu Rays need to be ripped first before putting them into Handbrake. Also, most of my existing mkv files from my Blu Rays have DTS audio only, which handbrake cannot make an AC3 passthru out of.

Is there a workaround to convert mkv files with DTS only to aTV (1280x720 5.1 DD) format?
Can anybody share a good way to rip Blu Ray to aTV?

I found out that Pavtube is in fact, a joke. Good thing I didn't purchase it.
post #375 of 3104 Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Sorry, should have said: download the latest nightly build from the Handbrake site: it will convert DTS to multichannel AC3 which works a treat. Unfortunately, if you've already compressed the video once, Handbrake will compress it again. But in that case you can use MKVTools instead to convert the DTS track to AC3+AAC and put it into an MP4/M4V at the same time.
post #376 of 3104 Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I set up my Apple TV recently. Since I'm more into buying/renting movies (Blu-Ray) rather than streaming I'm unlikely to use such features. For me the Apple TV was cheap enough to grab one just for the fun of being able to view files from my computer on my home theater - a JVC projector and screen.

I tried using Apple TV to stream from my music library. As cool as it was seeing the album artwork big on my projection screen I don't think I'll want to waste bulb hours with that display and I found the Apple TV controls slower and clunkier than the iphone remote App function just playing iTunes (I found streaming from my Apple TV clunkier both using the supplied remote and via the Apple TV section of the iphone Remote app).

One thing that was particularly fun was actually viewing videos I'd taken with my iPhone. Sure the iPhone is rated at 720p HD but I didn't have high expectations that, with the compression the iPhone likely uses I'd see much quality on my big screen. Boy was I surprised! As long as the videos were taken in good light, typically day light, they looked amazing. Very sharp, vibrant, and very "HD." It's actually astounding how sharp the image looks. The only major issues are the frame rate and slightly wonky software of the iPhone for movie capture. Anyone who uses it knows that you have to keep quite steady because the image can get stuttery or "jello-vision" pretty easily. But, still, quite a pleasant surprise.
post #377 of 3104 Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Anyone know of a good free program to convert video files on my pc to work with apple tv2. ?
post #378 of 3104 Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothjake View Post

Anyone know of a good free program to convert video files on my pc to work with apple tv2. ?

What kind of files?

Philip
post #379 of 3104 Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:

What kind of files?

Philip

Avi mov wma all those type. Not look to convert DVDs
post #380 of 3104 Old 11-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothjake View Post

Avi mov wma all those type. Not look to convert DVDs

I Need to convert to mp4
post #381 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/22/...hone-now-free/

AirPlay... here we come!

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #382 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
Yep- just read that the atv is being sent an update as well today.. Guess its time to find out if airplay is indeed killer- or crippled to only work as apple wants it to (cmon air video!)
post #383 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The updates are all available. I expect to update my unit shortly.

There's been a review of client function and so far the only non-local content that can be streamed is YouTube.

I assume everyone already has a button called AirPlay.
post #384 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AIRPLAY WORKS!

Streaming Pandora to my Airport Express from my iTouch2G as we speak!
Audio quality is excellent and Panodora app for iTouch is awesome. Even goes to landscape mode, can make new stations and Email suggestions to friends! Haven't tried the ATV2 yet, one thing at a time.

This changes everything......big time!

It just found my 2nd Airport and ATV.....gotta go!
post #385 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've updated my itunes/apple tv and remote app so I have airplay going as well. I have a question for those more in the know:

So far I can stream music and video etc from the iPod function on my iPhone with the remote app, to my apple TV. I also tried streaming photos from my phone as well.
However, I really want to stream videos I've taken on my iphone to Apple TV. This to me was one of the things I really wanted. But I don't see any airplay icon for my iphone videos. Is this not possible?

Also: Is there any downgrading of audio or video quality when streaming from the iPhone to apple TV? Is there any compression going on? I'm not sure, but I got the sense that pictures on my iphone photo library didn't look quite as sharp and detailed as when I choose to play photos off my computer into apple TV. But perhaps I'm wrong (?).

Thanks.
post #386 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

However, I really want to stream videos I've taken on my iphone to Apple TV. This to me was one of the things I really wanted. But I don't see any airplay icon for my iphone videos. Is this not possible?

Not for now at any rate. Odd omission. Perhaps privacy issues? You can stream YouTube, Photos (including videos), iTunes videos, and all kinds of music. You can't stream Netflix ( you only get the sound) or AirPlay.

Pretty neat...

philip
post #387 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed that the Software Version in General > About doesn't match the file name so I'll use the filenames.

My update from AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89 to AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150 failed as did a factory reset so I used iTunes to download and restore to 8C150. I did a jailbreak on 8M89 which may have had something to do with it.

I've noticed some glitchy behavior if you AirPlay a video you're also streaming. That may be perfectly reasonable. I also got an HDCP error when starting AirPlay from my server presumably because I was using screen sharing. So far just the once.
post #388 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...You can't stream Netflix...

Engadget notes that:
Quote:
... Besides just pushing local video, AirPlay allows you to send YouTube to the TV with ease ... We were under the impression that the functionality would allow you to push any video that's viewable on the device (such as our HTML5 Viddler content), but sadly this isn't the case. To be clear, that means no Hulu and no ABC video out to your TV ...

post #389 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not for now at any rate. Odd omission. Perhaps privacy issues? You can stream YouTube, Photos (including videos), iTunes videos, and all kinds of music. You can't stream Netflix ( you only get the sound) or AirPlay.

Pretty neat...

philip

That's a bummer and indeed an odd omission. After all, why wouldn't we want to see videos we've taken on a big screen, to be easily shared with others, instead of on a dinky little iphone screen. Kind of a waste of the HD-res iphone video.

Today I took video on my iPhone of my son receiving a sports award. It would be great to just fire up my projector and simply stream it on to the screen (via my Apple TV). But now I have to hook my iPhone up to my computer, download the video into iPhoto, then copy from iPhoto into iTunes.

Just a strange as heck omission if you ask me with annoying consequences.
post #390 of 3104 Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yeah, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to get streaming of my homemade videos (admittedly, nothing really *worth* watching there) and had no success. How did they release this without support for that?!?

AirPlay for photos was a bit aggravating as well. I agree that sharpness seemed lacking. We could be wrong, but it did seem like they were downscaling the resolution (perhaps to get the photos to upload to the AppleTV faster - but if it can handle AirPlaying a 720p movie, a 1280x720 still image shouldn't be a problem). Aside from resolution, the experience of AirPlaying photos seemed buggy as well. I'd try to push up a single photo and wait and sometimes it would show up, sometimes not. When it was working, it was kinda neat. I could slide my finger across the screen to move to the previous/next image on both my iPhone 4 and AppleTV. I would have liked for the thumbnail view to also be AirPlayed to the AppleTV as I can envision having a family gathering where I quickly throw up a tiled thumbnail view of a several images to the TV and then let others direct me as to which ones they want me to zoom in on. But no go there.

AirPlaying a 720p movie I had previously converted via Handbrake worked, but not as well as I had hoped for. I could pause it instantly, but when I went to start playing it again, I'd watch the circle spin for several seconds before it started up again. Trying to chapter skip or jump ahead quickly had the same result (a spinning circle). Also, I noticed that the buffered amount of video didn't seem to increase when I paused the movie. I don't know if the status bar was buggy/unreliable or not, but if not it seems like AirPlay is designed to just upload a portion of the video you're AirPlaying with, perhaps, 5 minutes extra into the future. Whereas when I stream a movie to my AppleTV from iTunes running on a computer, it will continue to download the whole movie to the AppleTV's buffer, even if I pause it.

Another oddity is the placement of the AirPlay UI control in various apps. In the Photo app it's in the upper right corner. Most of the time (with video apps) it's to the far right. With Pandora it's in a slightly different location. Honestly, I was surprised to read above from mayhem13 that Pandora supported AirPlay at all. I figured that with Pandora's custom audio controls (it has thumbs up/down), that it wouldn't support AirPlay as I was under the impression that 3rd party developers needed to use the stock A/V controls in order to utilize AirPlay. Great find there. I haven't had a chance to try out Pandora myself yet.

I did try other 3rd party apps, though. Hulu+ didn't work (as I expected it wouldn't, since it uses non-stock controls). I was hoping that any app that used the stock A/V controls would support video AirPlaying automagically, but that doesn't seem to be the case. With Netflix (not that I really need it, since the AppleTV has Netflix built-in), the AirPlay button was there, but it only streamed the audio (the video kept playing on my iPhone 4). AirVideo did the same. That said, I suspect that the Netflix and AirVideo developers (and any other 3rd party developers in the same boat) may just need to just recompile/resubmit their apps to get full video support working.

I'd really like to see AirVideo working with full video AirPlay support soon, since it would allow me to stream MKV files not-yet converted to M4V format. Though I'm not sure what the quality would be like. I've just got the free version installed right now and my desktop PC is fairly old. I can get a full-bitrate Blu-ray 1080p rip streaming live over AirVideo to my iPhone 4 but the PQ looks lower than 720p and I suspect that they can't do on-the-fly conversion of DTS to AppleTV-compatible 5.1 audio. So in the end, I suspect that I'm going to still need to convert all my movies to a m4v 720p files with Handbrake, which will require several hours, if I want a high-quality end-result.

The delays I encountered (when un-pausing a movie) and bugginess with the Photo app, don't give me a lot of hope for the idea of games over AirPlay. I really think the better solution will be for Apple to design a framework whereby the mobile iOS device temporarily sends a copy of the app (or a subset of the app: an applet) to the AppleTV and it would then run on the AppleTV itself, making full use of the AppleTV's A4 CPU. So AirVideo would send itself over to the AppleTV and the AppleTV would then be running AirVideo locally and streaming video from your network to the AppleTV (and not have to go thru my iPhone 4).

And in the case of something like Netflix, I'd like to search/navigate Netflix on my iPhone to find a movie I want, then hit play and hit the AirPlay button, but that would just send a snippet of info to the AppleTV that tells it to pull the movie from Netflix itself. Again, it makes no sense to stream it over WiFi to my iPhone 4 and then send it back out via WiFi from my iPhone 4 to the AppleTV (by way of my WiFi router). Too much potential there for lagginess, dropouts, etc.

In closing, I'm honestly rather disappointed so far. I was expecting more from Apple. If they've been working on this for a while and today's release is as buggy as it is, perhaps they overestimated what they could deliver when they first moved forward on the idea. I hope not, though. I hope they've just been sloppy and needed more time to get it working with the Apple "it just works" level of reliability.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page