Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 440Likes

post #3871 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 4809
My ATV4 has shipped for delivery tomorrow!

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Home Theater Geeks: The Vizio P Series 2016 Show w/Scott, Tyler & Tom
Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV Gen 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
My ATV4 has shipped for delivery tomorrow!
Same here. It said it was suppose to come Monday but it is coming tomorrow Friday. I been waiting forever to retire my ATV3 to my old living room TV and get the new ATV4.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3873 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Anxiously awaiting your review. The ATV4 is supposed to be available in some Apple stores tomorrow but I think I'll wait to see how mature or beta-like they are cause I don't want to regret my purchase in 3 months.

post #3874 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Since its released I guess I can mention that I have one now.

Only issue is I can't get the software to update. They did not ship a USB2 cable to me with my developer kit. So I am stuck.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #3875 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM

Must be specific to the developer model because I can't imagine the shipping consumer models needing a physical connection for updates.
post #3876 of 5273 Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
IMO, the only real reason to pay the extra $50 for the 64GB version is to be on the safe side regarding app and app-related data storage.
Well it is a moot point now as I just received an email from Apple that my son purchased the 64 GB version as a gift for me and it is being delivered tomorrow!
Thanks for your feedback anyway!
Gary J likes this.
post #3877 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I agree I love how Apple movies don't use adaptdumb streaming. However I see it using it soon when the new Apple TV comes out. Everyone thinks adaptive streaming is so great but it is not. It actually causes more congestion and I hate when I am watching something and it suddenly goes from a sharp HD picture to a muddle LD mess. It actually starts to give me a headache and I have to turn it off and relax. Luckily since the peering deal with TWC Netflix does not have this issue anymore but other streaming services like Disney, YouTube do this and I hate it.
Looks like you might be right. I'm currently listening to Theverge.com's podcast on the new Apple TV & the way their describing how iTunes purchases load on the new Apple TV compared to the previous Apple TVs sounds like adaptive streaming.

Here's the link (skip to 33:53 mark): http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639264/ctrl-walt-delete-is-the-apple-tv-the-future-of-television

If there is not an option to download my iTunes purchases on the new Apple TV, I might as well just get a 3rd generation Apple TV instead.
nathan_h likes this.
post #3878 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Must be specific to the developer model because I can't imagine the shipping consumer models needing a physical connection for updates.
drive-by post. Coming up with a USB-c is trivial.
post #3879 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
Looks like you might be right. I'm currently listening to Theverge.com's podcast on the new Apple TV & the way their describing how iTunes purchases load on the new Apple TV compared to the previous Apple TVs sounds like adaptive streaming.

Here's the link (skip to 33:53 mark): http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639264/ctrl-walt-delete-is-the-apple-tv-the-future-of-television

If there is not an option to download my iTunes purchases on the new Apple TV, I might as well just get a 3rd generation Apple TV instead.
Egads, that would be annoying. The one way ATV exceeds Vudu quality is that one can download content ahead of time and not worry about networking issues while watching a movie -- and the mastering is done with downloading in mind, so bitrates can spike very high for scenes that really need it, whereas Vudu even HDX has a cap on even short term bursts in bitrate because it is optimized to stream.
reddice likes this.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #3880 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to officially think Apple for saving me $150. The lack of optical output means that I will not be able to connect to my whole home audio via a DAC.
post #3881 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post
I would like to officially think Apple for saving me $150. The lack of optical output means that I will not be able to connect to my whole home audio via a DAC.
Do you already own an older AppleTV? The 3rd Gen AppleTV is still sold in stores and it has an optical out. Or, if you want a more powerful streaming box and don't need iTunes DRM'd content compatibility, you might want to take a look at the Roku 4 or Nvidia Shield set top boxes. Note that Amazon's newest FireTV box also lacks a toslink optical audio out port. If you are tied to he Apple ecosystem and would prefer the new AppleTV over the previous generation, you could get an HDMI audio extractor with HDMI input and HDMI+toslink/spdif outputs.
nathan_h likes this.
post #3882 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Do you already own an older AppleTV? The 3rd Gen AppleTV is still sold in stores and it has an optical out. Or, if you want a more powerful streaming box and don't need iTunes DRM'd content compatibility, you might want to take a look at the Roku 4 or Nvidia Shield set top boxes. Note that Amazon's newest FireTV box also lacks a toslink optical audio out port. If you are tied to he Apple ecosystem and would prefer the new AppleTV over the previous generation, you could get an HDMI audio extractor with HDMI input and HDMI+toslink/spdif outputs.
Yes, have 3rd gen and works great as source via Airplay. Thx for suggestions.
post #3883 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Any AVS member reviews for the ATV4?

Al

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #3884 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM

I'm sure they will be coming soon once their boxes arrive today and they get set them up.
arftech likes this.
post #3885 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'm sure they will be coming soon once their boxes arrive today and they get set them up.
Yep, I'm sure. There's stuff on You Tube but they're not in english. I should have learned a second language!

Al

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #3886 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 222
My tracking since yesterday has said - "Shipping label has been created. The status will be updated when shipment begins to travel."
post #3887 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 02:28 PM

They are supposed to be available today in some Apple Stores.
post #3888 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Didn't preorder, was able to order online this morning on the iPad and select pickup in store, got the ready to pickup email within an hour.

Quote:
Are we able to use the power cord from the ATV 3?
Yes, I just swapped the aTV 4 in place of a 3 in a bedroom and reused all the cables.

Quote:
Have you found or tried Plex or Simplex?
SimpleX shows up in the App store for $2.99, Plex is not there yet. Not much of a Plex fan myself, I've always preferred XBMC/Kodi and Air Video. The Air Video app for the aTV4 is quite nice, been using it all afternoon, at the moment a $3.99 purchase.

Quote:
Is Amazon Prime airplaying well? Look good? Sound good? surround sound?
Amazon Prime from an iPad Air 2 worked just fine as you'd expect. Didn't run the audio through an AVR just yet.

Quote:
After setup, have any of your previously purchased apps showed up on the ATV?
Anything you purchased previously shows up under a "Purchased Apps" tab with a little install icon option.

A few quick notes, I setup the 4 w/ my iPhone over bluetooth following these instructions and it was very nice not having to manually enter and re-enter passwords from scratch:

http://www.imore.com/how-automatical...tv-your-iphone

make sure you are on iOS 9.1

searching with Siri is nice, everything you'd want it to be, at least within the limited apps allowed so far, I can see this evolving into a very appreciated feature once it's opened up more...though I think my favorite aspect of the new remote is the touch scroll left or right while within a video...very nice being able to see and then go to just where you want within a split second. I'll move it into our living room later and can test more audio related aspects...
Gary J, Pvr4Craig and arftech like this.
post #3889 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post
Didn't preorder, was able to order online this morning on the iPad and select pickup in store, got the ready to pickup email within an hour.

Yes, I just swapped the aTV 4 in place of a 3 in a bedroom and reused all the cables.

SimpleX shows up in the App store for $2.99, Plex is not there yet. Not much of a Plex fan myself, I've always preferred XBMC/Kodi and Air Video. The Air Video app for the aTV4 is quite nice, been using it all afternoon, at the moment a $3.99 purchase.

Amazon Prime from an iPad Air 2 worked just fine as you'd expect. Didn't run the audio through an AVR just yet.

Anything you purchased previously shows up under a "Purchased Apps" tab with a little install icon option.

A few quick notes, I setup the 4 w/ my iPhone over bluetooth following these instructions and it was very nice not having to manually enter and re-enter passwords from scratch:

http://www.imore.com/how-automatical...tv-your-iphone

make sure you are on iOS 9.1

searching with Siri is nice, everything you'd want it to be, at least within the limited apps allowed so far, I can see this evolving into a very appreciated feature once it's opened up more...though I think my favorite aspect of the new remote is the touch scroll left or right while within a video...very nice being able to see and then go to just where you want within a split second. I'll move it into our living room later and can test more audio related aspects...
Thanks for your observations!

Al
ItzMe likes this.

post #3890 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here are all the Apple TV apps at launch:http://www.imore.com/every-apple-tv-...&utm_source=im
post #3891 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 72
1st impressions of ATV4g

• I'd hope I could pair a BT keyboard. Not so far.
  • 10 of my Apps showed up as previous purchased. I tried Speedtest. It's tweaked for tvOS.
  • I don't mind the various tones unlike the ATV3.
  • The General->About display is slightly less informative.
  • The on-screen keyboard for the Apple remote is one dimensional as noted by Pogue the keyboard for the universal remote is a grid [edit: it stopped doing that]. I had no problems using the Sony DVR codes the with the ATV
  • I had hoped the trailer app audio would be upgraded. Maybe it is but not the one I checked (Star Wars).
  • I started dowloading a movie. It quickly ramped up to my max download speed. Then I paused it and moved around a lot, ran speedtest, looked at some trailers etc. etc. It thoughtfully slowed when other things were using the link and then speed up when they stopped. You can monitor the network or just look at the progress bar.
  • At HBO Go activates the same way but after activating the ATV4g I had to reactivate the ATV3
  • which I did to check audio. Using Godzilla as a test: ATV3 5.1, ATV4g 7.1.
  • Likewise Age of Ultron from the iTunes store and Netflix so, since I don't have a 7.1 config, perhaps it's "fake".
ItzMe likes this.

Last edited by bodosom; 10-30-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #3892 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Any AVS member reviews for the ATV4?

Al
Quick review

Pros
-----
- The new apple tv is much faster. Quick app launches.
- The remote design is excellent. Easy to use.
- Menu fonts overall look sharper
- Siri is finally able to understand me Searching for stuff is super easy with Siri
- Rewinding, fast forwarding, enabling captions, etc is much faster

Cons
-----
- Lack of apps. Other than the apps available on earlier apple tvs, games appear to dominate the list of new apps available
- Noticed a few bugs. Mangled fonts, having to manually select the music mode on the AVR (stereo versus Dolby) when switching between music and movies (wasn't an issue with the old apple tv)

Overall, I see the potential. If I can get Tidal, Plex and an app that does a better job managing my home videos, I will be a happy camper.
The building blocks are there. But I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy this right now
arftech likes this.
post #3893 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
For surround sound options on the Apple TV 4 there are three options available. Auto, Dolby Surround and stereo. For the best quality sound should I use Dolby or Auto? Auto seems to default to multi channel in 7.1. Thanks

Last edited by Rhythmx; 10-30-2015 at 06:19 PM.
post #3894 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
  • I'd hope I could pair a BT keyboard. Not so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
Quick review
Thanks for the overviews. Mine's on the way, but perhaps one of you could answer a couple questions...

- Does AirPlay activate hdmi-CEC & power on/switch inputs on your AVR?
- Does picking up the Siri remote? (I've heard it wakes the Apple TV upon sensing motion.)
- Have you tried the ATV3 IR remote with the ATV4? I'd like the option of keeping my universal around, & hopefully not reprogramming it. If so, does pairing the Siri remote eliminate the IR remote as a choice?
- Long shot here, but... with the iPhone, if the device is charging you can activate Siri with "Hey Siri." I don't suppose the Siri remote does this... that would be awesome if you could just leave it plugged in & not have to hit the mic button...

Thanks again!
post #3895 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
  • I started dowloading a movie. It quickly ramped up to my max download speed. Then I paused it and moved around a lot, ran speedtest, looked at some trailers etc. etc. It thoughtfully slowed when other things were using the link and then speed up when they stopped. You can monitor the network or just look at the progress bar.
So you can confirm the new Apple TV downloads or caches you iTunes purchases to the internal storage?
post #3896 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Got my new Apple TV and set it up. The remote takes getting use to but it is not that bad once you get the hang of it. I downloaded all the apps so far that I use all the time and logged into and activated. Posting screenshots of Netflix and Hulu I see that Netflix has the common UI but it is still a Apple native app runs and looks great in 1080p as when you go into the time remaining it shows it native to the app. I tried some Siri commands but one that did work was "Hey Siri rewind 10 seconds" and it did. Also playing the test video it ramps up to 1080p in about 2 seconds quicker than the old ATV3 and way faster than the PS4. The only annoyance is the shrinking of the credits the same as the other Netflix app and what makes it worse is that I could not get them full screen again.

Hulu also has the same common UI but native to Apple. Also the remaining time is the same. HBO Go looks like there common UI but I have not played anything yet. The Watch Disney channels are easy to activate as once you put in one code it activates the others automatically. The annoying thing though is when you watch Live TV which I do all the time with Disney XD as Dish Network does not carry it in HD it shows a "Live" bug on the upper right corner that won't go away. Too annoying right now so until they fix it I will use the Chromecast app.

Also the screensavers are very nice looking as they animate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_204344.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1029921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_204316.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1029929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_203930.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1029937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_200703.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1029945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_200657.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1029953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151030_200643.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1029961  

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3897 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
- Does AirPlay activate hdmi-CEC & power on/switch inputs on your AVR?
- Does picking up the Siri remote? (I've heard it wakes the Apple TV upon sensing motion.)
- Have you tried the ATV3 IR remote with the ATV4? I'd like the option of keeping my universal around, & hopefully not reprogramming it. If so, does pairing the Siri remote eliminate the IR remote as a choice?
- Long shot here, but... with the iPhone, if the device is charging you can activate Siri with "Hey Siri." I don't suppose the Siri remote does this... that would be awesome if you could just leave it plugged in & not have to hit the mic button
  • I don't use CEC.
  • Currently picking up the doesn't wake from sleep or stop the screen saver.
  • The ATV will learn any remote. Note you don't learn the Apple remote, the ATV learns any common remote. However it still responds to the ATV3 remote. So at present my ATV4 is simultaneously responding to the ATV4 remote, a Sony DVR remote it learned and the ATV3 remote.
  • No, there's currently no always listening mode.
post #3898 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ATV 4th gen things that are irritating but it's beta. Time to read the manual.

The mapping from a standard remote to taps/double taps is problematic. I use Apple Music which already has a difficult interface under tvOS and some operations are entirely too fiddly.

At times I find the action of the menu button counter-intuitive although at other times it does exactly the right thing.

The Netflix app has buried "My List" at the botton and swipe scrolling in that app is too slow.

If you keep pressing menu it will the screen saver. But (so far) it's always San Francisco Late Afternoon.

If I send audio to my BT headphones and then change the AVR input the audio stops and switching back sends the audio to HDMI.
post #3899 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
  • I don't use CEC.
  • Currently picking up the doesn't wake from sleep or stop the screen saver.
  • The ATV will learn any remote. Note you don't learn the Apple remote, the ATV learns any common remote. However it still responds to the ATV3 remote. So at present my ATV4 is simultaneously responding to the ATV4 remote, a Sony DVR remote it learned and the ATV3 remote.
  • No, there's currently no always listening mode.
Still, thebard makes some awesome feature suggestions with his questions. Once CEC gets standardized I'd love to see those features, especially changing inputs.
post #3900 of 5273 Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 PM

Don't hold your breath for standardized CEC. It can only happen with the HDMI 2.0 chipsets and from what I read, the ATV4 only has HDMI 1.4, which can't be flashed to 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page