Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4291 of 4294 Old Today, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Originally Posted by JohnJ9 View Post
On the ATV4, it makes almost no effort to buffer up anything ... It seems a shame, and I'm hoping it will change over time. Thus far, it has made the box a real disappointment for my main use of it.
It might be wishful thinking but this seems to have improved with 9.0.1. Since it does fully buffer remote content it's a design choice. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future release.

I haven't been comparing the behavior of Plex. I suppose it's time to look a bit harder at this.
Sponsored Links
post #4292 of 4294 Old Today, 01:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Originally Posted by JohnJ9 View Post
I'm running off iTunes from the Mini via home sharing. Never bothered with the Synology box that way. I've determined home sharing just doesn't want to effectively buffer. My suspicion is that you are getting by because, when the ATV4 is dry, your Mini can more quickly do a fetch and you don't notice. I've been watching the whole thing pretty carefully, and the ATV4 really makes no effort to fill its buffer to any great extent. I have a lot of one hour shows that are M4V files and are roughly 2gb in size. When viewed on the ATV3, you would watch roughly a quarter of the show buffer up as quickly as possible. Easy to check by a quick pause and watch the progress meter. The value makes sense, given it has 512mb of RAM for this - the math works. Were the ATV4 working the same way, it would pretty much gulp in the entire show and be ready to go without ever needing to do another fetch. As viewing progresses on the ATV3, you can pause and see the buffering progress.

On the ATV4, it makes almost no effort to buffer up anything until you actually start watching the show, and then you see it pull in a very small amount of the show (roughly 10%?). It never seems to want to get beyond this, and during viewing I experience multiple instances where the show pauses for roughly a second and buffers up a bit more and resumes. I can see this sometimes every few seconds here and there. Much of the time, however, after about 15 minutes I'll find that I'm getting a one second pause every five minutes or so. It's quick, but it's there, and it's new with the ATV4. I have the 64GB model, but while I know that memory is not for video buffering, it's clear that the 2GB is not really being used either. I don't know what that memory is being set aside for, but it's sure not for home sharing! I can do quick pauses once in a while to see where the indicator sits, and I can see it is not really working hard to effectively stay ahead proactively. There are plenty of times the progress indicators show that it is all but out of buffered show, even though there's no reason for it to be this way.

I know it's apples and kumquats, but I see a similar unwillingness to do a lot of buffering when I'm playing music via home sharing from my laptop to my Mac Mini and then out the USB to my Oppo. The music is all lossless, so a single song is in the 35mb range, but I occasionally run into situations where the music pauses and stutters because of buffering. All connections continue to be hardwired on gigabit (even the laptop), and I'd found a post somewhere that gave parameter changes to increase the buffering size for this. I know the setting took - I can see the larger memory taken by iTunes when it's streaming - but even at a 64mb buffer, it should be able to pull in an entire 35mb file as soon as it starts, but it doesn't bother to do so. (I can tell what's going on because the hiccough will occur when my laptop is moving something big on the network in the middle of a song - the song should have buffered completely long ago, so there should be no correlation.) No, it's not the same, but it seems to reflect what I consider an attitude on the development teams when it comes to home sharing that the file being buffered will just be there, so why bother fetching it as much as possible as quickly as possible? It seems a shame, and I'm hoping it will change over time. Thus far, it has made the box a real disappointment for my main use of it.

I have an ATV2, 2 ATV3's and an ATV4. They all buffer fine using homesharing from an iMac. The only difference is the ATV4 does it quicker and I've never had a stutter with any of them. I know that does nothing to solve your problem, I just wanted folks to know that at least in my case the ATV4 performs as expected.

EDIT: I stand corrected it is only buffering about 10% of the title, but when I fast forward past a non buffered portion it restarts at the new spot almost instantaneously.

Last edited by jgiddyup; Today at 02:05 PM.
post #4293 of 4294 Old Today, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Wonder how do you get the 3rd gen Apple TV remote to work with the 4th gen Apple TV. I push buttons on the old remote and it does nothing.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Fire TV (2014), Chromecast (2015), PS4 (2013),
Apple TV 4 (2015).
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Fire TV (2014), Chromecast (2013)
, Apple TV 3 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #4294 of 4294 Old Today, 05:16 PM
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Pair it?

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread