Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 276Likes

post #4681 of 4689 Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple TV Rocks

Got myself an Apple TV 4 last Monday... Very happy with it. It is definitely a step up from the streamers I have been using thus far... PS4, Sony BDP-6700, and Chromecast. It is very responsive and streams at full speed within a couple of seconds. Also no bugs with multi-channel audio like the one I have been experiencing with Chromecast recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4689 Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
Fox Sports just released their Apple TV app Friday. The stream quality and the 4 pip streams is awesome for sports. Look forward to using this for the upcoming fall games. ESPN needs to implement this 4pip asap with all their espn3 sub content. Great feature for all the games on Saturday and Sunday!
tenthplanet likes this.
post #4683 of 4689 Old 09-02-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Have experienced some playback issues with Plex and AppleTV4. Attributable to network throughput origins. ALL my other media playback devices that can do Plex work fine, a ROKU 4 I'm playing with, even Sony bluray player and using Plex as a DLNA server. Laptops, etc., all fine.

Read to try and connect via wireless. I was wired.

Changed it now to my 5G AC channel and so far no issues. Still need to play movie a little longer but its not stopping nor buffering.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4684 of 4689 Old 09-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Have experienced some playback issues with Plex and AppleTV4. Attributable to network throughput origins. ALL my other media playback devices that can do Plex work fine, a ROKU 4 I'm playing with, even Sony bluray player and using Plex as a DLNA server. Laptops, etc., all fine.

Read to try and connect via wireless. I was wired.

Changed it now to my 5G AC channel and so far no issues. Still need to play movie a little longer but its not stopping nor buffering.
I also experience playback issues with Plex as well. One issue is that I have to turn off Allow Direct Streaming if I want the playback quality set to 20 Mbps or higher or else Plex on my Apple TV 4 will display instances of stuttering and artifacts on some titles and I noticed that Window Resource Monitor shows Network usage hitting 100 Mbps during those stutters and artifacting. 100 Mbps is the limit of the Apple TV 4's ethernet port and it seems to be getting saturated during those instances. Disabling Allow Direct Streaming lowers the network bandwidth usage to around 70-80 Mbps in those same instances. Maybe this is the issue you are talking about since you mentioned network throughput. I'm using an ethernet connection to my Apple TV. Wireless is not an option for me since my Apple TV is too far from the router to get a good signal.
post #4685 of 4689 Old 09-02-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems like the wired ethernet port, or how its managed, is the problem on the AppleTV 4. Came across several threads about it and the Roku4 too. People getting way better performance by switching to wireless.

It is in fact better. Watched several movies and no issues at all.

Was ready to cave on Plex until trying the wireless connection.

Anyone connecting remotely, all two of the folks who tested it, had no issues remotely. Its just been within my LAN. IMHO that should not be. But it is what it is. Glad to see it working without buffering, etc.

It is just the AppleTV on my LAN that has the issue. Would think it could be my network some how IF the other devices having issues.

Interestingly the VLC App for the AppleTV 4 plays video back as well. But it doesn't do multichannel audio.

So its something between the Plex App and the AppleTV 4.

Also I'm using an i3 for the Plex server.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 09-02-2016 at 08:06 PM.
post #4686 of 4689 Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Seems like the wired ethernet port, or how its managed, is the problem on the AppleTV 4. Came across several threads about it and the Roku4 too. People getting way better performance by switching to wireless.

It is in fact better. Watched several movies and no issues at all.

Was ready to cave on Plex until trying the wireless connection.

Anyone connecting remotely, all two of the folks who tested it, had no issues remotely. Its just been within my LAN. IMHO that should not be. But it is what it is. Glad to see it working without buffering, etc.

It is just the AppleTV on my LAN that has the issue. Would think it could be my network some how IF the other devices having issues.

Interestingly the VLC App for the AppleTV 4 plays video back as well. But it doesn't do multichannel audio.

So its something between the Plex App and the AppleTV 4.

Also I'm using an i3 for the Plex server.
VLC on my Apple TV 4th generation will do multi channel audio. I can get it to bitstream AC-3 to my AV receiver. But there is a small audio glitch/spike when the file starts to play. After that though, it's OK.

Yamaha RX-V3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for extra 2 Rear Height channels] / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / Sony PS-3 / Topfield PVR TRF-2460 / Apple TV 4
Vifa 3-way Front L/R Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Surround Speakers
ERA Design 4 x 4 Surround/Presence Speakers / Focal SIB Front Height Speakers
post #4687 of 4689 Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oog500 View Post
Apple support updated on a case, that Engineering department is looking in to both mentioned issues more intently now and may have a fix in a later update(s). No details or promises, but still better than nothing.
Having used my ATV4 for a more than a week now I do notice that I have to turn up the volume by about 8 to 10 DB compared to when watching Blu-ray discs and also streaming from other devices to get the same level of sound. I also seem to notice that the dynamic range appear to be more limited on the ATV4 (again compared to the other input sources) even though I have this setting turned not to limit dynamic range.

I am hoping the next update will incorporate fixes to these issues.
post #4688 of 4689 Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have my Plex set to boost the multi-channel signals. Otherwise my AppleTV 4 Plex audio is lower than Plex through my bluray player.

post #4689 of 4689 Old 09-13-2016, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
New TVOS today. Can any latest gen owners confirm if the audio issues have been fixed/improved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page