Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 301Likes

post #4801 of 4830 Old 12-22-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Looked at Infuse app last night. Playback choppy. Not going to keep it. As far as playback the MrMC App for Apple TV4 performs better.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4830 Old 12-24-2016, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Looked at Infuse app last night. Playback choppy. Not going to keep it. As far as playback the MrMC App for Apple TV4 performs better.
Does mrmc support dts-hd and Dolby true hd passthrough?

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #4803 of 4830 Old 12-25-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"dts-hd and Dolby true hd passthrough?"

Don't know about TrueHD as I haven't tried it. Did get DTS HD to pass. There's discussion about it on the MrMC forum/web site. The video was choppy with Infuse for me. Really jerky. MrMC close, its a KODI thing, except it has an issue that all of these things apparently do with lower memory devices and that's losing the movie icon/poster. Its not a MrMC bug so they can't fix it.

I was hoping Infuse would make the AppleTV a media player as well as streamer. Didn't work out for me.

Plex still seems to be the front runner for doing so on these types of devices.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 12-25-2016 at 06:47 AM.

post #4804 of 4830 Old 12-25-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Which AppleTV apps. can produce better than PLC II?

On my setup at least, with a Denon AVR 2112CI, I get PL C II on the home screen, Showtime Anytime, DirecTV Now, Youtube and Hulu. I believe that means the source is only stereo. I know that's the case with Hulu.

However if I use HBO Go, I get "MULTI IN" which means one of the advanced codecs, I believe, at least a Dolby Digital Plus. That's whether I use the native HBO Go app. or Airplay from iPad Mini.

I did try one MKV and I got DTS Neo out of VLC app. but that may again mean a stereo source.

Also have a ChromeCast 2 and I get PL C II on Showtime Anytime but Dolby Digital Plus when casting from an iPad Mini 2.

I can't believe HBO Go is the only Apple TV 4 app. that delivers DD or better?
post #4805 of 4830 Old 12-26-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I get DD PLus II from Amazon (with a different streaming device)
post #4806 of 4830 Old 12-27-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just wanted to verify since someone told me it was fixed after I returned the gen 4 I bought last year since there were so many issues with the remote app.

My biggest use of my gen 3 was to play my iTunes library thru the Apple TV. And I would use the remote app to browse my music. Upon opening the remote app, I would immediately see local music and then in lower left hand corner I could select my iTunes library via homesharing. So I could browse all my albums and play music without turning on the tv or being in the same room.

With the gen 4, opening the remote app just gives the remote page to control the cursor, etc. the only access to music is if the Apple TV is already playing music, then I get the Now Playing screen.

So the only solution seems to be playing the music directly on the iPad or iPhone and then send it to the atv with airplay. Which then detracts from doing other things on the iPhone which send audio like make a phone call😀 Or go back to using the tv screen interface whenever I want to place music.

Looks like I'm sending the gen 4 back again unless there's a solution I've overlooked. People on the Apple community just slam me and say it's got video, who cares about audio, use an Apple express which seems dumb if I want both.

Thanks for any input.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4807 of 4830 Old 12-27-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Which AppleTV apps. can produce better than PLC II?"

I'd look at MrMC. If you want to pay for it Infuse Pro.

post #4808 of 4830 Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Well turns out the setup is a little weird. You choose Best Quality Available, Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo.

I had it on Best Quality Available and was only getting 2/0/.0 with Showtime Anytime, causing my AVR to put out Dolby PL C II instead of AC3.

But got 3/2/.1 with HBO Go app.

I changed it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and it forced both Showtime and HBO apps. to put out 5.1 AC3.

Switched it back to Best Quality Available and now got 3/2/.1 from both apps. which turned into Dolby Digital Plus.

DirecTV Now app. only has DD 5.1 on their VOD, not live channels, hence only 2/0/.0 so my AVR took 2 channels and outputted PL C II.
post #4809 of 4830 Old 12-27-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Just wanted to verify since someone told me it was fixed after I returned the gen 4 I bought last year since there were so many issues with the remote app.

My biggest use of my gen 3 was to play my iTunes library thru the Apple TV. And I would use the remote app to browse my music. Upon opening the remote app, I would immediately see local music and then in lower left hand corner I could select my iTunes library via homesharing. So I could browse all my albums and play music without turning on the tv or being in the same room.

With the gen 4, opening the remote app just gives the remote page to control the cursor, etc. the only access to music is if the Apple TV is already playing music, then I get the Now Playing screen.

So the only solution seems to be playing the music directly on the iPad or iPhone and then send it to the atv with airplay. Which then detracts from doing other things on the iPhone which send audio like make a phone call Or go back to using the tv screen interface whenever I want to place music.

Looks like I'm sending the gen 4 back again unless there's a solution I've overlooked. People on the Apple community just slam me and say it's got video, who cares about audio, use an Apple express which seems dumb if I want both.

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure I follow what you're describing. There are two ways I play my iTunes library on the Apple TV 4. One way is to go to Computers, select the Home Share library I want to play, and then browse the library and control playback.

The other way is to use the Apple Remote app (not Apple TV Remote) to browse the Home Share library and, right from the app, select an AirPlay destination in the upper right. I usually AirPlay directly to my receiver, but selecting the AppleTV should work just as well.

I actually prefer using the old Apple Remote app to directly access the library.
post #4810 of 4830 Old 12-27-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post
I'm not sure I follow what you're describing. There are two ways I play my iTunes library on the Apple TV 4. One way is to go to Computers, select the Home Share library I want to play, and then browse the library and control playback.

The other way is to use the Apple Remote app (not Apple TV Remote) to browse the Home Share library and, right from the app, select an AirPlay destination in the upper right. I usually AirPlay directly to my receiver, but selecting the AppleTV should work just as well.

I actually prefer using the old Apple Remote app to directly access the library.
Thanks! I see what you are saying about using old remote app to browse the iTunes library and then having the pc with iTunes software basically doing the airplay to the Apple TV. That's ok I guess. And I assume even if I'm working on that pc, there won't be any interference of the streaming to the Apple TV.

What the old remote app does with a gen 3 is when you open it, you will see the devices available. For me, it will show the library and you can do what you described. However if you chose an Apple TV device and it was gen 3, you would see the music available on your cloud and there would also be a menu to select the library, so I guess the atv is directly streaming from the library. I guess not sure how different that would be vs doing airplay from the computer. .. maybe Apple saw that as redundant functions.

Anyways Here's a screen pic of my iPad with the remote app connected to the gen 3 Apple TV. This view is not possible with a gen 4 atv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1856777  

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4811 of 4830 Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Thanks! I see what you are saying about using old remote app to browse the iTunes library and then having the pc with iTunes software basically doing the airplay to the Apple TV. That's ok I guess. And I assume even if I'm working on that pc, there won't be any interference of the streaming to the Apple TV.

What the old remote app does with a gen 3 is when you open it, you will see the devices available. For me, it will show the library and you can do what you described. However if you chose an Apple TV device and it was gen 3, you would see the music available on your cloud and there would also be a menu to select the library, so I guess the atv is directly streaming from the library. I guess not sure how different that would be vs doing airplay from the computer. .. maybe Apple saw that as redundant functions.

Anyways Here's a screen pic of my iPad with the remote app connected to the gen 3 Apple TV. This view is not possible with a gen 4 atv.

Now I understand. I think the only way to browse the iTunes library on an iDevice now without using the TV display is to select the computer's Home Share library and AirPlay to the Apple TV. This is what I do, and it works well.

As far as interference when you're working on the computer, it shouldn't be any different than it was with the ATV3. In that setup, the ATV was streaming from the computer, just as it is now. The iPad is talking directly to the computer instead of going through the ATV.

iPad > Computer > Apple TV 4 as compared to iPad > Apple TV 3 > Computer > Apple TV 3.

It's too bad Apple made that change to the Remote app. The Apple TV part now seems to duplicate Apple TV Remote functionality...redundant functions.
post #4812 of 4830 Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Sure just remember that DD on Apple TV is a lossy re-encoding and not the original DD in many cases. PCM is going to be the least likely to have suffered some degradation. It's a quirk of how ATV handles audio. So if what you want is the best audio quality with an ATV you want to see PCM on your receiver. If you see 'Dolby digital' you should get finicky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
One guy's opinion - Roku blows away the AppleTV. The only time I ever use ATV is for the rare time I use Air Play. Audio is definitely better thru the Roku, which pass Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.
I'm confused about the audio on ATV and why I'm getting PCM for most everything. I got an ATV in the DTVNow deal and the audio is always PCM. If I play Netflix I get DD 5.1. If I airplay Amazon Video, I get PCM.

When the DTVNow app becomes available, it sounds like I should switch to Roku for better sound at least. What about Fire TV box? Does this also output PCM for most everything?
post #4813 of 4830 Old 01-18-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
I'm confused about the audio on ATV and why I'm getting PCM for most everything. I got an ATV in the DTVNow deal and the audio is always PCM. If I play Netflix I get DD 5.1. If I airplay Amazon Video, I get PCM.

When the DTVNow app becomes available, it sounds like I should switch to Roku for better sound at least. What about Fire TV box? Does this also output PCM for most everything?
It is only "better sound" if you can tell the difference from what ATV is doing.
post #4814 of 4830 Old 01-18-2017, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
It is only "better sound" if you can tell the difference from what ATV is doing.
I used DTVN on ATV4 for a few days to help decide what cable services to keep if any, and thought the sound was a little inferior. I figured it was the DirectTV Now app. Eventually I started looking at settings and saw PCM coming from ATV.

So it seems there's some difference in sound between using and not using ATV for this. I can't tell whether my dislike is ATV's fault. I'm interested in trying Roku or Fire TV instead if it will help but might not want to bother if it will not. I came here to see if there's an explanation for the PCM output.

Update: DTVN only offers DD5.1 for On Demand shows at this time, not live TV.

Last edited by rrgg; 01-18-2017 at 06:14 AM.
post #4815 of 4830 Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Not a techie so excuse me if I ask what might be a dumb question...here goes...have my atv4 hooked up to my samsung 6300 1080p tv.....atv gives us the option for higher resolutions than that.....would the tv actually play that higher resolution? The info says it is when I click on it...is that possible or it's just reading the signal from the atv? Curious. Let me know. Thanx.
post #4816 of 4830 Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post

ATV4 decodes the formats internally and sends audio as PCM. If done properly, it should sound the same as having the receiver decode the bitstream DD audio. ATV's output level is lower than typical sources, so that may make it sound inferior. I've increased the input trim for the ATV on my receiver, taking care of the volume difference.
nathan_h likes this.
post #4817 of 4830 Old 01-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I had hoped this would be fixed by now, but apparently not. Someone reported (elsewhere) that accelerating scrolling worked in with an IR remote (Harmony, specifically, same as mine), but it seems they were wrong.

Today I purchased [another] ATV4 and set it all up again. It's good to see some things are working... Netflix appears to be better now, with subtitles functioning as expected, all using the Harmony. (I only watched one show but it seemed ok enough... although I still loathe the interface compared to the super-efficient ATV3 interface). It's nice to see a native Pandora app. I'm sure I'll want to play with Plex at some point, too, but not until basic functionality is in place for the rest of my usage.

Unfortunately the biggest deal killer, for me, is still broken: There is no good way to navigate a large collection that's kept on a connected computer, because Search doesn't search it, and scrolling is useless for large collections: it simply doesn't accelerate.

I'll explain:

On the ATV3 when you scroll down a large list, I'm sure we've all seen that the longer you the hold down button down, the faster it goes. Using my ATV3, it took me approx 22 seconds to scroll from "A" (Adjustment Bureau) to the the end of the list (2001 Space Odyssey, since Apple sorts numbers to the end). You just push down and let it fly until you hit the end. Approx 1500 movies on this list.

Using the OEM BT remote for the ATV4, with intense concentration and continuous swiping (swipe carefully, or you'll accidentally kick to side, select another category, and have to start all over!), I managed to scroll the same list in about 25 seconds. Again, it actually requires intense concentration and continuous rapid movements to scroll it, but the time is reasonable.

Using my Harmony 650, there is no swiping and no accelerating scrolling. The same list, after 60 seconds I hit "I" (Iron Man). This is holding the down arrow continuously for 60 seconds of fairly slow scrolling. I figure the entire list would take nearly 3 minutes of scrolling, if I wanted to watch 2001 Space Odyssey.

There's literally no other way to get to the movie since searching (via Siri, or the manual search interface) won't include linked computer shares in the search results.

Since this (watching movies and TV shows in my own collection), and Netflix, are literally 99% of my ATV usage, I'm sad to say I'm going to have to return this ATV4 ... AGAIN. I really hoped it would work out this time. But if it's going to require more than a minute of solid scrolling just to pull up any title farther down the list with the letter "I", I see myself never watching the bottom 2/3 of my collection!

Am I seriously the only one affected by this problem? I haven't seen anyone else reporting this issue.

You are not the only one with this problem. I just switched from ATV2 to ATV4. I have a huge, iMac hard drive based music collection and need to be able to scroll through it (from ABBA to ZZ Top). Thousands of artists. Doing so is impossible with the ATV4. And when I try to use search, I can type in the band name, but then there is no "enter" or "search" button to click. I'm perplexed. Apple needs to restore the accelerated scrolling feature.
post #4818 of 4830 Old 01-20-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadshow View Post
You are not the only one with this problem. I just switched from ATV2 to ATV4. I have a huge, iMac hard drive based music collection and need to be able to scroll through it (from ABBA to ZZ Top). Thousands of artists. Doing so is impossible with the ATV4. And when I try to use search, I can type in the band name, but then there is no "enter" or "search" button to click. I'm perplexed. Apple needs to restore the accelerated scrolling feature.
Try Siri - easiest way of all.
post #4819 of 4830 Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I had hoped this would be fixed by now, but apparently not. Someone reported (elsewhere) that accelerating scrolling worked in with an IR remote (Harmony, specifically, same as mine), but it seems they were wrong.

I have a Harmony 670.

My "Use Apple TV" Activity just sets the AVR and rest of system to proper inputs and the ATV4 screen appears.

Then I put down the Harmony remote and pick-up the ATV4 remote. After all, it has the Siri mic, does the AVR volume, etc.

AFAIK, the only other thing the Harmony does is volume (concurrently, if someone is using the ATV4 remote, and I can't reach it). Just an idea ... what I do.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #4820 of 4830 Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
4K On The Way

As reported by The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14...ardware-rumors
Quote:
Apple is reportedly planning to launch a new Apple TV that supports 4K content. Bloomberg reports that Apple could launch its fifth-generation Apple TV as soon as this year, with support for “more vivid colors.” That improvement in color reproduction could be related to high dynamic range (HDR), a feature that is becoming popular on consumer 4K TVs. Bloomberg’s report doesn’t provide any additional information on the upcoming Apple TV, but it does include a lot of context around Apple’s past decisions for its TV hardware.
Also worth noting is the hiring of the former head of Amazon Fire TV by Apple, and mention of the Caavo set top box.

Space | The Media Room: 10.5 L x 7.5 W x 7.5 H | FiOS 100Mbps Ethernet
Sound | 5.1.2: Denon AVR-S920W | Pioneer SP-BS22-LR/SP-C22/SP-T22A-LR Atmos | Polk OWM3/PSW10
Vision | 4K: 2015 Vizio M43 | MS XB1S | AppleTV 4 | Sony BDP-S3100 | FiOS Moto QIP7232-P2
post #4821 of 4830 Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
That's good news. If they do this and release there movies with HD audio will be selling all my my BR players and Blu ray's and go towards this route.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #4822 of 4830 Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/16...tion-apple-tv/
More info if you want it.
cgpublic likes this.

EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Xbox One S-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
post #4823 of 4830 Old 02-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If the new Apple TV goes 4K, it better be able to do HDR (HDR10 & Dolby Vision), plus bitstream audio so we can get Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X. If it doesn't, it is once again a missed opportunity.

Oh, and also allow automatic switching of video frame rate to match the source. ie if the source is 23.976p, then output that. If it is 50p, then output that. If it is 60p, then output that.

Currently, it is locked to whatever frame rate it is in AUTO (usually 60p), and you have to manually change it for 50p/25p sources, otherwise you get frame rate conversion judder. There's also no manual 23.976p option in the menu settings. You have to rely on your TVs ability to detect 23.976p within 60p sources.
Riot Nrrrd and cgpublic like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Sony PS-3 / Topfield PVR TRF-2460 / Apple TV 4
Vifa 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #4824 of 4830 Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ATV 4 needs a 24p or at least a 48hz.. is it impossible to implement 48hz? would be good for motion on home screen etc as well unlike 24p mode.

I have one tv that pulls down 60p to pure 24p but I have one who doesnt and I have Apple TV4s to both.
Craig Mecak and cgpublic like this.
post #4825 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I've noticed a problem today with some iTunes movies on my AppleTV 4. Some that are suppose to play with 7.1 audio are only outputting stereo.

Movies I have checked and seen the problem on are:

Doctor Strange
Finding Dory
Star Trek Beyond
Big Hero 6
Captain America Civil War
The BFG
Pete's Dragon (2016)

I know these movies have played 7.1 before but today they are only sending stereo.

Some movies are working just fine. ET plays 5.1 just fine, Captain America TWS plays 7.1 correctly as well. I have tried everything in my collection but more seem to have the problem then do not.

I have also restarted my ATV and tried different HDMI inputs and cables. Also checked many of these movies on Vudu through my PS4 and 7.1 works on all of them.

Also, I noticed that one the ones not playing 7.1, the other audio options for the movie are not showing up as well, ie French stereo etc.

I anyone has some of these movies can you check your Apple TV and see if you get 7.1. Like I said, I know some of these have worked correctly in the past, Star Trek Beyond, Civil War, Pete's Dragon and The BFG I know for sure. I swear Doctor Strange worked correctly last night.
post #4826 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The news reports about the 4k ATV mention wide color gamut, but not HDR (yet). Seems unlikely they would include WCG without HDR. I'd guess they are going to go with HDR10. I suppose they might wait for the updated HDR10 spec with dynamic meta data.

If they do well with this and the audio (I wouldn't expect lossless but at least DD+ with Atmos?) then this is a game changer for my viewing habits.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #4827 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I've noticed a problem today with some iTunes movies on my AppleTV 4. Some that are suppose to play with 7.1 audio are only outputting stereo.
I have 7.1 (3/4/.1) for Doctor Strange.
post #4828 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I have 7.1 (3/4/.1) for Doctor Strange.

Thanks for checking but that is not what I wanted to hear. I have checked everything I can think of with in my setup. I had convinced myself that the issues must be on Apple's end because I also noticed that the movies only playing in stereo didn't have the other audio options available, like French or Spanish. If I can't figure this out or the issue fixes itself then I'm back to only buying BDs I guess. Gotta to have my 5.1/7.1.
post #4829 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Movies I have checked and seen the problem on are:

Doctor Strange
Finding Dory
Star Trek Beyond
Big Hero 6
Captain America Civil War
The BFG
Pete's Dragon (2016)

I know these movies have played 7.1 before but today they are only sending stereo.

Some movies are working just fine. ET plays 5.1 just fine, Captain America TWS plays 7.1 correctly as well. I have tried everything in my collection but more seem to have the problem then do not.

I have also restarted my ATV and tried different HDMI inputs and cables. Also checked many of these movies on Vudu through my PS4 and 7.1 works on all of them.

Also, I noticed that one the ones not playing 7.1, the other audio options for the movie are not showing up as well, ie French stereo etc.

I anyone has some of these movies can you check your Apple TV and see if you get 7.1. Like I said, I know some of these have worked correctly in the past, Star Trek Beyond, Civil War, Pete's Dragon and The BFG I know for sure. I swear Doctor Strange worked correctly last night.

I had the same problem today. Turn off quick start in settings and it will fix the problem. It will just take a few seconds to buffer before playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4830 of 4830 Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are a life saver, thanks for that fix. It worked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread