Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes

post #4831 of 4856 Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post
I had the same problem today. Turn off quick start in settings and it will fix the problem. It will just take a few seconds to buffer before playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 surround sound receiver, I notice the same problem Friday night, after I purchased Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I checked several movies and some played in 5.1 and some didn't, one in particular was Moonlight which I purchased Wednesday night and it was playing fine in 5.1, but on Friday it wasn't. I thought it was my internet connection at first (which was slow at Friday night). I reset and updated my ATV, same problem, I restarted my ATV, I checked the Surround Sound setting, which was set to Best Quality Available, I changed it to 5.1...same problem. I waited to see what happens the next day, the problem persisted. Being that I have AppleCare warranty on my AppleTV 4, I called Apple, they were unaware of the problem and after placing me on hold for several minutes, I was told to check with my receiver manufacturer. I connected my AppleTV 3, played the Force Awakens, it worked fine, as well as all the other movies that I purchased. Right then I knew the problem was not on my end, it more than likely had to do with Apple servers streaming specifically to ATV 4 boxes. After reading the discussion on Apple communities website, someone mentioned the fix on this forum, I tried it and everything works like a charm...Thank you very much!! I was getting annoyed because I have to have my movies playing in surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4856 Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, I thought this would be as good a thread as any to ask. I've been using ATV as a primary media player since the 2nd gen device. My question is really more about iTunes. Sometime after iTunes 12, the software started showing the SD file size in iTunes rather than the HD file size when you have both. For example, if I look at The Revenant, the file size says 2.6GB in iTunes, but if I right click and say "show in finder" it shows that the 2.6GB file is the "SD" file and there is a 1080p file that is 5.7GB.

So 1) why and when did iTunes change to show the SD file size and 2) how do I know its not streaming the smaller SD file to my home theater?
post #4833 of 4856 Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
Hi, I thought this would be as good a thread as any to ask. I've been using ATV as a primary media player since the 2nd gen device. My question is really more about iTunes. Sometime after iTunes 12, the software started showing the SD file size in iTunes rather than the HD file size when you have both. For example, if I look at The Revenant, the file size says 2.6GB in iTunes, but if I right click and say "show in finder" it shows that the 2.6GB file is the "SD" file and there is a 1080p file that is 5.7GB.

So 1) why and when did iTunes change to show the SD file size and 2) how do I know its not streaming the smaller SD file to my home theater?
Are you sending the files to your ATV 4 from the computer, or is your ATV pulling the files from the cloud. I went from an ATV 2 to a 4 and my files look the same. Since there is a buffer built in, any iTunes movies I have I keep in the cloud, local storage is really not needed.
ATV default is to download a HD file if possible from the cloud.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."

post #4834 of 4856 Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Are you sending the files to your ATV 4 from the computer, or is your ATV pulling the files from the cloud. I went from an ATV 2 to a 4 and my files look the same. Since there is a buffer built in, any iTunes movies I have I keep in the cloud, local storage is really not needed.
ATV default is to download a HD file if possible from the cloud.
I'm pulling from my Mac using the ATV using home sharing. So not from the cloud, from my local system.
post #4835 of 4856 Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I believe there is a setting in iTunes to choose HD over SD.

Also, why not delete the SD file(s)?

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
post #4836 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Will Apple TV ever get vudu app
post #4837 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
Will Apple TV ever get vudu app
Very doubtful. They are direct competitors (selling and renting movies just like iTunes).
Neil S. Bulk likes this.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #4838 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm still hoping to one day get Amazon Prime. I know Apple would not allow a full Amazon app because they too compete in the same space. But to be able to watch only Prime stuff would be great.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
post #4839 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Very doubtful. They [vudu] are direct competitors (selling and renting movies just like iTunes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I'm still hoping to one day get Amazon Prime. I know Apple would not allow a full Amazon app because they too compete in the same space. But to be able to watch only Prime stuff would be great.
I've yet to hear of an app available under iOS that was blocked by Apple for tvOS for competitive reasons (they do have tvOS guidelines and possibly a different pricing model). In the specific case of Amazon Bezos (by representative) said they won't be submitting Amazon Video for the tvOS store.

So if it's in the iTunes store for the mobile devices but not tvOS it's almost certainly being withheld by the vendor.
post #4840 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
In the specific case of Amazon Bezos (by representative) said they won't be submitting Amazon Video for the tvOS store.
Source? MacRumors ran an article more than a year ago stating the opposite. Maybe something has changed, but at the time Apple wouldn't let do what was necessary to provide their service.

post #4841 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Source? MacRumors ran an article more than a year ago stating the opposite. Maybe something has changed, but at the time Apple wouldn't let do what was necessary to provide their service.
Amazon said (at one point) that they wanted "acceptable business terms" and they would not release Prime Video (or presumably sell the ATV) until they got "acceptable business terms". I suspect most people would consider that to be an Amazon decision, not an Apple (or Google) decision.
post #4842 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two sides to such situations. From those statements one might conclude: Sounds like Apple was trying to extort Amazon and Amazon called their bluff.

post #4843 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I heard Amazon didn't want to put their content on competing products, since they make Fire TV and tablets. So they don't carry Apple TV nor iPads on their store either.

Apple TV has apps. from most if not all other streaming services.

So it seems more likely it's Amazon not wanting to, not Apple.
post #4844 of 4856 Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There aren't any pay per movie new release steaming services on Apple TV other than iTunes. Not VUDU, not Amazon, not Google Play, not CinemaNow, not Flixster, not Fandango.

Most of these are available on Chromecast, Roku, Xbox One. That is, when they can go on a platform under neutral terms, they do so.

To be fair, Amazon's Fire TV is no picknick and none of these services, other than Amazon itself, work on the FireTV. So Apple is not the only vendor playing hardball.

In short: We may say all those services 'chose' not to put their apps on the ATV but the unanimity of it suggests there are onerous terms on Apple's part since no one is finding the situation acceptable.

Last edited by nathan_h; 02-23-2017 at 10:22 PM.
post #4845 of 4856 Old 02-24-2017, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Two sides to such situations. From those statements one might conclude: Sounds like Apple was trying to extort Amazon and Amazon called their bluff.
Yes why submit something that you know will be turned down? Sounds like bodsom can not read between the lines even a little bit.
post #4846 of 4856 Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In short: We may say all those services 'chose' not to put their apps on the ATV but the unanimity of it suggests there are onerous terms on Apple's part since no one is finding the situation acceptable.
The facts don't support "onerous" terms. All of the Amazon apps (and all or most of the rest) are available on the iPad. Apple isn't "extorting" Amazon any more than Google is. And of course Prime Video is "free" so there's no cut for Apple (according to the Apple "percentage of sales" model). I imagine that Amazon wants a better deal than everyone else and Apple (and presumably Google) said no. Amazon chooses not to reveal what they want or the terms they object to. I'm sure that they would have no trouble saying "Apple wants to charge us twice as much as everyone else because we're a competitor". Bezos position is that it's not anyone's business why he chooses not to release video products on the ATV. Just like it's his position that selling the ATV would "confuse" Amazon customers.

The ATV and the TiVo markets are small, unlike the iOS, xbox and Playstation markets, and both suffer (or suffered) at the hands of Amazon.
post #4847 of 4856 Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The ATV and the TiVo markets are small, unlike the iOS, xbox and Playstation markets, and both suffer (or suffered) at the hands of Amazon.
How does Tivo suffer? TiVo has the Amazon video app and has had it for several years.

Jay
post #4848 of 4856 Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post
How does Tivo suffer? TiVo has the Amazon video app and has had it for several years.

Jay
Access to Prime Video is notably newer (Nov-2014) than non-Prime Video (circa 2009?) . That's why I said "suffered".
post #4849 of 4856 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
And of course Prime Video is "free" so there's no cut for Apple (according to the Apple "percentage of sales" model). I imagine that Amazon wants a better deal than everyone else and Apple (and presumably Google) said no.
Amazon also rents and sells content in addition to what is made available for Prime members so there is definitely something that Apple would take a cut of.
Gary J likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-S910W
Samsung K8500
post #4850 of 4856 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRonin_ View Post
Amazon also rents and sells content in addition to what is made available for Prime members so there is definitely something that Apple would take a cut of.
Which is why I said "Prime Video".

Looking at the broader context of Amazon sales in iOS I'd speculate that Amazon makes app decisions based on how hard it is to circumvent Apples cut of digital purchases (while they wait for "acceptable business terms"). E.g. you can't buy Kindle books in the Kindle app or even using the Amazon app. You have to use a browser.

By the way I don't object to Amazon resisting losing (more) money.
post #4851 of 4856 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Amazon could make an app that just streamed Prime content and I'm pretty sure Apple would allow it as other services like Netflix, HBO, etc. already do the same thing, but who can blame them for not wanting to. It's just frustrating that I have to bounce between devices to use the various services. I'm looking hard at a Shield as my main device which would cover Netflix, HBO, Starz, Vudu, Youtube and streaming my video library. The ATV would be used for the small amount of content I have picked up from Apple and Apple music.

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-S910W
Samsung K8500
post #4852 of 4856 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazon could make an app that just streamed Prime content and I'm pretty sure Apple would allow it as other services like Netflix, HBO, etc. already do the same thing, but who can blame them for not wanting to.
The Amazon Prime Video app does that. Strictly speaking it lets you stream any content (and download some) you purchase directly from Amazon on their web site which, of course, includes Prime Video. As far as I know Amazon's apps don't allow you to purchase content that is subject to Apple's percentage.
post #4853 of 4856 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Amazon could make an app that just streamed Prime content and I'm pretty sure Apple would allow it as other services like Netflix, HBO, etc. already do the same thing, but who can blame them for not wanting to. It's just frustrating that I have to bounce between devices to use the various services. I'm looking hard at a Shield as my main device which would cover Netflix, HBO, Starz, Vudu, Youtube and streaming my video library. The ATV would be used for the small amount of content I have picked up from Apple and Apple music.
Yes, I just switched to the Shield after various frustrations with both AppleTV and Roku. It was definitely a good decision. I'm a big Apple fan but now can't imagine going back to a different streaming box.
post #4854 of 4856 Old Today, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have not bought any apple movies, because of their quality. So
Is there any differences between bluray movies and apple movies or any streaming apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4855 of 4856 Old Today, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice cube View Post
Is there any differences between bluray movies and apple movies
Yes. Google itunes movies vs bluray.
post #4856 of 4856 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice cube View Post
Hi. I have not bought any apple movies, because of their quality. So
Is there any differences between bluray movies and apple movies or any streaming apps.
Quote:
Yes. Google itunes movies vs bluray.
Googling the particular title you are interested in is a very good idea. There have been some excellent detailed comparisons between blu ray, and the major streaming services, and the differences vary from title to title. Apple consistently scores very well against the other online services but does not always win. And it is rare that any streaming service is as good as blu ray.

In general, though, the big difference between Blu-ray and iTunes is the audio. Blu-ray has room for higher quality audio. Will you hear the difference? Some people don't. Many people can. Will that matter to you? Only you can decide.

Video quality is usually a bit better on blu-ray, but Apple has gotten really good with their encoding, so you may not notice or the difference may not matter to you.

But if you insist on the best possible audio and video, while Blu-ray typically is a more reliable choice than iTunes or any other streaming service, you should really be using UHD Blu-ray at this point

(For perspective: While I use UHD blu ray whenever possible, and would rather rent a blu ray than an itunes movie, Apple is solid enough I don't mind using iTunes if that is the only option.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page