Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 303Likes

post #4831 of 4835 Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post
I had the same problem today. Turn off quick start in settings and it will fix the problem. It will just take a few seconds to buffer before playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 surround sound receiver, I notice the same problem Friday night, after I purchased Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I checked several movies and some played in 5.1 and some didn't, one in particular was Moonlight which I purchased Wednesday night and it was playing fine in 5.1, but on Friday it wasn't. I thought it was my internet connection at first (which was slow at Friday night). I reset and updated my ATV, same problem, I restarted my ATV, I checked the Surround Sound setting, which was set to Best Quality Available, I changed it to 5.1...same problem. I waited to see what happens the next day, the problem persisted. Being that I have AppleCare warranty on my AppleTV 4, I called Apple, they were unaware of the problem and after placing me on hold for several minutes, I was told to check with my receiver manufacturer. I connected my AppleTV 3, played the Force Awakens, it worked fine, as well as all the other movies that I purchased. Right then I knew the problem was not on my end, it more than likely had to do with Apple servers streaming specifically to ATV 4 boxes. After reading the discussion on Apple communities website, someone mentioned the fix on this forum, I tried it and everything works like a charm...Thank you very much!! I was getting annoyed because I have to have my movies playing in surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4835 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi, I thought this would be as good a thread as any to ask. I've been using ATV as a primary media player since the 2nd gen device. My question is really more about iTunes. Sometime after iTunes 12, the software started showing the SD file size in iTunes rather than the HD file size when you have both. For example, if I look at The Revenant, the file size says 2.6GB in iTunes, but if I right click and say "show in finder" it shows that the 2.6GB file is the "SD" file and there is a 1080p file that is 5.7GB.

So 1) why and when did iTunes change to show the SD file size and 2) how do I know its not streaming the smaller SD file to my home theater?
post #4833 of 4835 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
Hi, I thought this would be as good a thread as any to ask. I've been using ATV as a primary media player since the 2nd gen device. My question is really more about iTunes. Sometime after iTunes 12, the software started showing the SD file size in iTunes rather than the HD file size when you have both. For example, if I look at The Revenant, the file size says 2.6GB in iTunes, but if I right click and say "show in finder" it shows that the 2.6GB file is the "SD" file and there is a 1080p file that is 5.7GB.

So 1) why and when did iTunes change to show the SD file size and 2) how do I know its not streaming the smaller SD file to my home theater?
Are you sending the files to your ATV 4 from the computer, or is your ATV pulling the files from the cloud. I went from an ATV 2 to a 4 and my files look the same. Since there is a buffer built in, any iTunes movies I have I keep in the cloud, local storage is really not needed.
ATV default is to download a HD file if possible from the cloud.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."

post #4834 of 4835 Old Today, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Are you sending the files to your ATV 4 from the computer, or is your ATV pulling the files from the cloud. I went from an ATV 2 to a 4 and my files look the same. Since there is a buffer built in, any iTunes movies I have I keep in the cloud, local storage is really not needed.
ATV default is to download a HD file if possible from the cloud.
I'm pulling from my Mac using the ATV using home sharing. So not from the cloud, from my local system.
post #4835 of 4835 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I believe there is a setting in iTunes to choose HD over SD.

Also, why not delete the SD file(s)?

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread