Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #4921 of 4942 Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post
The HomePod will be a streaming media player, and Homekit hub, running iOS and controlled by Siri. That's also a basic description of the Apple TV!
Except for the whole video/multi-channel audio output, app store and non-Apple audio (that being the only "media" supported by HomePod nee Siri Speaker).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4942 Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Except for the whole video/multi-channel audio output, app store and non-Apple audio (that being the only "media" supported by HomePod nee Siri Speaker).
Why do you say "only"? The HomePod will be an AirPlay receiver. It will play all sorts of audio; not just Apple Music.

Craig
post #4923 of 4942 Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why do you say "only"? The HomePod will be an AirPlay receiver. It will play all sorts of audio; not just Apple Music.

Craig
It seems unclear how the AirPlay 2 API will work with third parties. Likewise the fact that AirPlay 2 obsoletes all existing the AirPlay end-points. The key question seems to be will the HomePod do AirPlay or only AirPlay 2.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out by the time the device ships. Or some number of updates later.

post #4924 of 4942 Old 06-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Quote:

Craig
It seems unclear how the AirPlay 2 API will work with third parties. Likewise the fact that AirPlay 2 obsoletes all existing the AirPlay end-points. The key question seems to be will the HomePod do AirPlay or only AirPlay 2.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out by the time the device ships. Or some number of updates later.
Yeah so far I've been unable to figure out exactly what AirPlay 2 is going to do. Apple kind of left everybody hanging. SMH
post #4925 of 4942 Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
That sounds like higher cost meaning higher price.

They should try to maintain current prices, because the streaming set top box market is pretty competitive now.
Internet posters always know better than one of the most successful companies EVER!
dturturro and Pvr4Craig like this.
post #4926 of 4942 Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Apple TV owners' thread.

Apple has chosen HEVC as its next-generation video
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1496905696
FCBarca and Widber like this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #4927 of 4942 Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The AppleTV 4 is supposed to be AirPlay 2 compatible. I don't know about earlier AirPlay devices. Northing has been said so far about new hardware requirements (mesh networking?) or if a firmware update is sufficient. The slide shown during the keynote showed a number of partners--Marantz and Denon caught my eye since I have their stuff.

There is an AirPlay 2 presentation at WWDC this afternoon at 4:10 Pacific. That should answer a lot of questions.

But, I'll bet 'dollars-to-donuts' that HomePod can receive from original AirPlay senders, albeit without new features of AirPlay 2. IOW upwards compatibility.

Craig
post #4928 of 4942 Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question HDMI-CEC and AirPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Yeah so far I've been unable to figure out exactly what AirPlay 2 is going to do. Apple kind of left everybody hanging. SMH
Right, but it caught my attention also.

So, I've made some changes to my system with some interesting results. Does anyone know how I can control the Onkyo-AVR Volume from my iPhone?

Official Apple-TV (Gen4, ATV5,3 - 2015) Owners Thread

Also, since everyone is still using this thread for AppleTV-4, I just changed mine to "my AppleTV-4 system integration" and/or build-up thread.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #4929 of 4942 Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Vudu coming to Apple TV this fall
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/vuduappletv-3.jpg
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1498041731
nathan_h likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #4930 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking into a new streamer (Previously used different iterations of WDTV media players), seeing that the family uses Macbook Pros, thought AppleTV might be a good choice although it doesn't appear to allow any storage devices to be connected.

What's the general consensus on functionality/limitations to AppleTV?

Physical media is on the way out
post #4931 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Apple TV due for a new hardware refresh this fall. It appears that its in the works. Needs HDR support (I could care less for 4k), a more integrated approach to content on the homescreen (TV App is a miserable failure compared to FireTV Edition and TCL TV). Would be nice to have a USB port for hard drive expansion.

If Apple wants to be truly disruptive, they should include an onboard ATSC tuner chip and integrate the OTA signal seemlessly into the mix with all other content sources. An integrated guide showcasing watchlists from Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube, TV Anywhere Apps and OTA would be the killer app that I'm looking for - one can dream. To top that off, include a 7-14 day OTA guide for DVR like functionality for the OTA feed and I can get rid of another piece of hardware and I'd pay Apple monthly for a subscription to make this all integrated and easy.

My Tech: 70" Vizio M-Series | Apple TV 4 | Harmony Smart Control | Sonos Play1s in Stereo Pair | Echo Dot | Nest Thermostat & Protects | SkyBell HD | Simplisafe

Last edited by vestaviascott; 07-06-2017 at 05:46 AM.
post #4932 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post
Looking into a new streamer (Previously used different iterations of WDTV media players), seeing that the family uses Macbook Pros, thought AppleTV might be a good choice although it doesn't appear to allow any storage devices to be connected.

What's the general consensus on functionality/limitations to AppleTV?
It's hard to predict whether the ATV meets your use case scenarios from what you describe. I would say the largest limitation is on home grown, self made, self stored content.

The second largest limitation is that while the TV app is a cool idea, the implementation is compromised by lack of participation among many content providers -- so even if the functionality wasn't buggy (which it is) it wouldn't be the one-stop solution it wants to be (yet?).

While not as slick, the Amazon Fire TV boxes are probably more feature rich and functional so long as you are not trying to tap into the Apple content ecosystem. That said, we have both the Amazon and the Apple boxes, and I always choose to use the Apple box *if* it has what I need. And the Amazon box is what I use, for everything the Apple TV box cannot do.

If you are coming from the WD solution(s), then the logical replacement might actually be the nVidia Shield.

Buy some Triad speakers.
Check out my current theater & gear.
Listen to the best movie review podcast, the /filmcast.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #4933 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 AM

Cheers for that @nathan_h

Lately, I prefer just playing things off the MBP via HDMI and would prefer something simple to do this and ATV seemed to tick the right box. But it's true that coming from the WD world, I would like the ability to have NAS.

So nVidia Shield might be worth checking out as an alternative? Would I be able to stream/cast via my MBP with this via DLNA?

post #4934 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:

Lately, I prefer just playing things off the MBP via HDMI and would prefer something simple to do this and ATV seemed to tick the right box. But it's true that coming from the WD world, I would like the ability to have NAS.

So nVidia Shield might be worth checking out as an alternative? Would I be able to stream/cast via my MBP with this via DLNA?
Streaming: There are a couple of apps for the ATV that can act as a DLNA player. VLC is one, I think. MrMC or something like that is another IIRC. Plex player, while not a DLNA renderer, is also available. So it can probably do what you want, even though the Shield is going to handle more codecs, etc.

Casting: In theory you can AirPLay almost anything from you MBP to the ATV. In practice, some things work better than others and I have definitely had some content on the MBP that easily AirPlays the audio to the ATV....but the video stays on the MBP! I don't know whether this is user error, app limitations, or a flag the content creator set, etc.

If your content is from the iTunes store, and Apple created software, then the ATV makes it super easy. Otherwise, I actually find that my $35 Chromecast stick is easier to user for "casting" compatible content, if the app is enabled.

---

All this sounds like I disliked the ATV. But frankly it is my default content device and default source and I only leave it begrudgingly when I run up against its limitations. If I could only have one video source, it would be the ATV and I would just live with the limitations and quirks because overall its the nicest interface and usually let's me get to the content I want. The coming update for Amazon on ATV will further solidify that.

I should note: I don't watch OTA TV and don't watch sports. From what I understand, if those are important to you, you need to go completely outside the ATV world (but I could be wrong!).

Buy some Triad speakers.
Check out my current theater & gear.
Listen to the best movie review podcast, the /filmcast.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #4935 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Both the Shield and macOS support a native Plex client and server. Plex can also be a DLNA server. I export all non-Apple content with Plex running on a mac. Their previous generation transcoder system was derived from ffmpeg. I assume that the new transcoder continues to support the same set of codecs.
FCBarca likes this.
post #4936 of 4942 Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Yeah I run the Plex app. on Apple TV 4th generation (current one).

Media is on a USB drive attached to a laptop running the Plex Media Server.

I'm not sure if the Plex app. and Apple TV combo will send anything more complex than an AC-3 sound track to the HDMI out. So you probably can't get DTS soundtracks output.
FCBarca likes this.
post #4937 of 4942 Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 AM

Gracies @wco81

True, the DTS issue will often be an issue for me then - not much love for Roku then? Just seems the nVidia Shield seems to be more geared towards gamers? As I will just stream media (Non itunes) and occasionally take advantage of these apps to access other content, not sure what might work simplest. For example my WD & HEVC isn't going to be resolved anytime soon and thus I need a change. ATV sounds good and I have a MBP but not married to the Apple ecosystem. I suppose 4k/UHD support/flexibility will come into play eventually too

post #4938 of 4942 Old 07-11-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Not too familiar with Roku product line. Will have to check them out.

I think the Apple SOCs are among the best in AV electronics.

Of course the development and economies of scale from iOS device sales could mean they're able to pack more bang for the buck than a startup.

But for whatever reason, Apple may not support all the formats and codecs outside of iTunes content.

Or maybe they will up their audio game when they start selling 4k HDR content on iTunes.
post #4939 of 4942 Old 07-13-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question Plex Server on Synology and ATV4

Is anyone else actively using the Apple-TV4 Plex App, but with the Plex Server running on a Synology NAS (running DSM 5.2.x or newer)? Meaning, Plex Media Server gets installed from the Synology's Package Center.

It's been a while, but I'm finally trying to figure out the proper way to get everything installed, updated, and configured properly. It's looking to be a good alternative to Kodi on Windows (my go-to Media Center for years), but I want to make sure I have the latest versions of all the software pieces installed currently.

Plex on ATV4 is generally running pretty good. However, while jumping around through albums and playing MP3 music for a while, the interface gets progressively slower and won't scroll-down properly. I have to reboot ATV4 to fix it.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #4940 of 4942 Old 07-14-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 81
A quick review for anyone reading this thread and considering an Apple TV. I own the latest 4th generation model.

First off, I like the UI in general. However, there are some UI issues, which I will get into shortly. Apps are modern and the overall navigation and response of the device is very good. The remote can be nice for swiping through long rows or columns, but it is sometimes easy to overshoot the selection you want, causing an unintended selection. Siri on the remote is nice and I find that it does a good job of tracking down the information.

Now for the bad news.

Some of the apps are lacking features available on other devices. Netflix, for example, on the Apple TV doesn't indicate the resolution of the content or the audio quality even on the selection screen. Some versions let you see the bitrate, and that is not what I am referencing. When browsing, the titles will display HD, 5.1, etc. so you know what to expect in quality when you play the video. This is a bit frustrating. Is the picture soft because of your stream, or because it isn't in HD? You won't know using the Apple TV.

The YouTube app is vastly different from every other YouTube app I have used on devices from smart TVs, to game consoles and Blu-ray players, to other media streamers. It looks okay, but it doesn't refresh automatically. You're forced to switch menus to get it to reload. While playing a video, you get only the time indicator bar. You do not get thumbnails for related or recommended videos. And you do not get to see videos from the current YouTube author. You also cannot 'like' or 'dislike' vidoes, and there is no option for the 'stats for nerds' either. These features prevent me from using it. Back to the PS3!

Crunchyroll is an anime streaming app. On the PS3 you can use the app and watch content without a paid subscription; you must watch ads, however. This is fine by me. But on the Apple TV, you must have a subscription to even use the app.

The Hulu app on the Apple TV is new. It is newer than the PS3 app, and I like the newer version on the Apple TV. So, it has that going for it.

However, subtitles on the Apple TV in many of the apps is highly undesirable. The text is white in a courier style font with a square semi-transparent background. Using other apps, the subtitles are as I would expect. On Netflix, my settings are to make them yellow. In Hulu, they are white with a black border. I see no way to change this on the Apple TV, and I really prefer not to have a semi-transparent black box covering up the content.

I had never seen a review mention these quirks, and I feel they are absolutely worth mentioning. And there may be others I have not yet noticed. It is a nice device, and I do use it at times. But YouTube is just a no-go for me on the Apple TV. And any content with subtitles as well. I will defer back to using my PS3, smart TV or Blu-ray player instead. It's so frustrating that each media streamer has its quirks. I have returned Roku, Chromecast, and Fire TV because I would rather use my existing devices. I will keep the Apple TV because it is easy for the family to use versus the PS3 or other options. But for me, it's often not going to be my go-to device.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by ToonMasterTim; 07-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #4941 of 4942 Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Streaming: There are a couple of apps for the ATV that can act as a DLNA player. VLC is one, I think. MrMC or something like that is another IIRC. Plex player, while not a DLNA renderer, is also available. So it can probably do what you want, even though the Shield is going to handle more codecs, etc....
It's worth noting that the Shield has a built in Plex Server, which means that you don't need to be running a separate device for the Plex Server.

The Shield does 4k and HDR, Apple TV is 1080p only, no HDR.

Apple TV has a better looking UI and often better designed apps. I'd also say that there are more apps for Apple TV than for Android TV, although virtually all of the main ones are available on both (Reuters, the best designed news video app, IMO, is not available on the Shield).
post #4942 of 4942 Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
It's worth noting that the Shield has a built in Plex Server, which means that you don't need to be running a separate device for the Plex Server.

The Shield does 4k and HDR, Apple TV is 1080p only, no HDR.

Apple TV has a better looking UI and often better designed apps. I'd also say that there are more apps for Apple TV than for Android TV, although virtually all of the main ones are available on both (Reuters, the best designed news video app, IMO, is not available on the Shield).

Just to piggyback on this the shield will also play 24p as well as pass through lossless hd audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page