Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 438Likes

post #5251 of 5261 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
I've been thinking about this, and what's preventing Apple from decoding ATMOS internally inside the Apple TV, adding system sounds, then Re-encoding it into ATMOS (or 7.1.4 etc) via Dolby Digital Plus on the output? Win Win. Not perfect, but would suit most people.
I've been thinking about this too.

Earlier rumors I heard about Siri replies was that they could simply be written replies only on screen rather than audible. One way audio.

That combined with muted remote navigation bleeps and there's no need to decode and mix audio. Simply pass through the bitstream audio. Would this be a viable option for audiophiles, if it could be implemented?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5261 Old Today, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I sincerely hope that when someone has an Apple TV 4K in hand that they start a new thread for "owners" of the ATV 4K. Maybe then all this "atmos"/etc. will go away and actual operation/etc will commence .
Gerry
tmdorsey and jeep05 like this.

Sony XBR 75X850C - Marantz NR1501 AVR - Philips BDP-7501 UHD BD Player - ShieldTV Gen 2
post #5253 of 5261 Old Today, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Apple uses "RGB Low" to signify PC Levels (0-255), i.e. expansion of Video Levels (16-235) to 0-255. Apple's "RGB High" OTOH means Video Levels. YCbCr is the native format for video and uses Video Levels, so, there you go. Your TV is configured for Video Levels, and you have a levels mismatch when using RGB Low. With "Auto" gone, is there no longer an "RGB High" option? If you want to leave your TV settings alone, you need to use either it or YCbCr.

Sorry, I had been using RGB High, not low. So there’s no difference between High and YCbCr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5254 of 5261 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
After getting tvOS 11 I have HDMI-CEC issues. If I airplay from an iOS device it works great and my AVR switches inputs to the Apple TV. But if I reach for the ATV remote and hit, say menu, i see the light on the ATV but my inputs won't switch over. I have to switch inputs manually. It used to just switch over with any ATV command.

CEC is still on on my Pioneer AVR and Contro TVs and Receivers is still on in the ATV.
post #5255 of 5261 Old Today, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
Sorry, I had been using RGB High, not low. So there’s no difference between High and YCbCr?
Your TV may process them slightly differently, but the levels are the same.

I did find one slight difference between RGB High in tvOS 11 and the previous version. With tvOS 11, I need to bump Brightness on my TV up one notch to get Bar 17 to flash in AVS HD 709 Black Clipping. Switching to YCbCr restores Bar 17. My TV does a little better with RGB according to Spears and Munsil 2nd ed Colorspace pattern, so this is an unfortunate change, but I'm going to switch to YCbCr to keep the levels consistent with my other devices. Used to be, ATV4 RGB High was perfectly consistent with my BD player and HTPC "RGB Limited Range" options, which is a more common term.
post #5256 of 5261 Old Today, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Your TV may process them slightly differently, but the levels are the same.

I did find one slight difference between RGB High in tvOS 11 and the previous version. With tvOS 11, I need to bump Brightness on my TV up one notch to get Bar 17 to flash in AVS HD 709 Black Clipping. Switching to YCbCr restores Bar 17. My TV does a little better with RGB according to Spears and Munsil 2nd ed Colorspace pattern, so this is an unfortunate change, but I'm going to switch to YCbCr to keep the levels consistent with my other devices. Used to be, ATV4 RGB High was perfectly consistent with my BD player and HTPC "RGB Limited Range" options, which is a more common term.

Thanks for the info! Do you use RGB High or Limited for gaming consoles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5257 of 5261 Old Today, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
I've been thinking about this, and what's preventing Apple from decoding ATMOS internally inside the Apple TV, adding system sounds, then Re-encoding it into ATMOS (or 7.1.4 etc) via Dolby Digital Plus on the output? Win Win. Not perfect, but would suit most people.
They currently re-code for LPCM, which does not recognize metadata, (you probably already know this), but, I'm not sure what you're saying would work considering the mixed audio...what format is that in, how would it mix in? (It's not a pro mixer). Plus, if they decode DD+ then mix and recode for DD+ wouldn't they then have to pay license for encoding their mixed audio for DD+? (licensing ) ...And they may only have the hardware for DD/DD+ decoding, not for encoding (encoding to LPCM is free of licensing).

I don't see why they can't just let pass-thru work while content is being played (as an option), seems simple enough to me. So, it may have to pause the content when engaging siri, a small price to pay for getting better audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I sincerely hope that when someone has an Apple TV 4K in hand that they start a new thread for "owners" of the ATV 4K. Maybe then all this "atmos"/etc. will go away and actual operation/etc will commence .
Gerry
There are no functional differences between the ATV 4 & ATV 4K, so, really not necessary, only difference is UHD content ability, faster processor for gaming. No other differences, (they both handle audio the same way).

FYI: Apple User Guide (iBook) for Apple TV has been updated for iOS 11, includes both ATV & ATV 4K in one guide. Although, there are no tech specs and still no updated support articles yet (on Apple's support site). https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/app...50195582?mt=11

Left pic ATV, right pic ATV 4K:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 11.54.14 AM.png
Views:	11
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2285428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 11.54.44 AM.png
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2285430  
post #5258 of 5261 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Well the KODI/XMBC knock off for the Apple TV4 and beyond has figured out how to get the AppleTV to NOT do LPCM for everything and do audio pass through.

SO it is possible if done correctly. Had to be otherwise they'd not be able to do so with that app.

MRMC something or other.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; Today at 09:17 AM.
post #5259 of 5261 Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
So I had the ATV 4K 64GB in my Best Buy Cart for a few days for preorder while I got some feedback and info on here but when I went to pull the trigger it was sold out! So I preordered the 32 GB instead. I'm goin to use it as a streamer for renting and some purchases of movies off iTunes. Maybe use it for a few apps like Netflix and Amazon when traveling. I also have about 8-10 movies on my iTunes account so far. So u guys think the 32Gb will be fine for my needs then?
The only reason you'll want more than 32GB would be if you were to get into gaming on the ATV. None of your iTunes media is stored in the ATV, it is stored on Apple's server and streamed when you want to play it. If you download media to your computer via iTunes on that computer then there is a way to stream it from your computer if you prefer, otherwise all your iTunes purchases, past and present, are available for streaming on your ATV, and will use your internet connection for streaming. So, how many apps you use is really the only factor for storage space on your ATV. The A10X processor and tvOS 11 improvements mean much better gaming, if you get into gaming and use a lot of gaming apps, then you may begin to use that 32GB space.
post #5260 of 5261 Old Today, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Well the KODI/XMBC knock off for the Apple TV4 and beyond has figured out how to get the AppleTV to NOT do LPCM for everything and do audio pass through.

SO it is possible if done correctly. Had to be otherwise they'd not be able to do so with that app.

MRMC something or other.
do you have a link to this info? According to a dev on the mrmc forums from 6 days ago they decode and send out pcm same as infuse.
https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?...372765c14e7729

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver

Last edited by archer75; Today at 09:37 AM.
post #5261 of 5261 Old Today, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
do you have a link to this info?
same question

All I can find is everything but tvOS version. Last Apple TV they worked with was ATV 2...the 720p version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page