Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 563Likes

post #5551 of 5558 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Apple asserts their chroma up sampling is better than what your display can do. So they suggest 4:2:2.

(Yes, the question is reasonable: How can they be sure? Well, just like they are sure that up converting SDR to HDR is superior....?)

IMO, you should try both.
do you know if there are color banding issues with 4:2:2 chroma forcing 8-bit output?

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 55C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5558 Old Today, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Have to say, I'm really impressed with iTunes' 4k/HDR encodes. I turned on the playback hud in the developer settings on my 4k Apple TV, and it looks like the 4K iTunes encodes seem to be variable between 25-30mbps. I've seen it get as high as around 35mbps too. They look fantastic too. One other interesting thing of note, is it seems to always pull the Dolby Vision files even if you set the video output to HDR10. It must be doing some conversion between HDR formats on the fly, because the videos definitely still looked like they have HDR.

4K HDR Wonder Woman iTunes Media Info: https://imgur.com/uXNT0Mm

4K HDR Luke Cage Netflix Media Info: https://imgur.com/UsgIp9o
Sujay likes this.

Last edited by jwort93; Today at 01:39 PM.
post #5553 of 5558 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 79
HDR10 is basically just a subset of Dolby Vision. So the conversion is like a down conversion. It’s way better than SDR, but the real question is it good enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
No longer contributing to Engadget HD

post #5554 of 5558 Old Today, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
All DV titles can do HDR10. There will never be a Dolby Vision title that cannot do HDR10. HDR10 always must be present.
Not necessarily true. With a BD 4k, if in DV, then HDR10 is also required.

But for streaming, there can be only DV and not HDR10. Just look at all the UHD Vudu titles that have HDR. It's only DV. No HDR10. If you play one of these movies on a display that only does HDR10, then there will be no HDR.

The problem with ATV 4K is that if the show only has DV version of HDR, it will still appear HDRish on an HDR10 display because the friggin' box send everything out as HDR. The HDR on the ATV is a mess and a joke. Shame on Apple for this atrocity.

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Oppo UDP-203 4K BD Player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BD Player
Denon AVR-X6400H
post #5555 of 5558 Old Today, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
do you know if there are color banding issues with 4:2:2 chroma forcing 8-bit output?
I only saw the 4:2:2 banding when going through my receiver, and even then it was only on the 24 Hz setting. Didn’t see it on 60 Hz 4:2:2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Little View Post
Not necessarily true. With a BD 4k, if in DV, then HDR10 is also required.

But for streaming, there can be only DV and not HDR10. Just look at all the UHD Vudu titles that have HDR. It's only DV. No HDR10. If you play one of these movies on a display that only does HDR10, then there will be no HDR.

The problem with ATV 4K is that if the show only has DV version of HDR, it will still appear HDRish on an HDR10 display because the friggin' box send everything out as HDR. The HDR on the ATV is a mess and a joke. Shame on Apple for this atrocity.
Depends on the streaming service. Apple has said on iTunes each title may have HDR10, DV, both, or neither.

Sony XBR-55X900E (My Calibration Settings)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch RP-260F
Klipsch RP-450C
Klipsch RP-250F
Klipsch R-110SW
post #5556 of 5558 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Little View Post

Sony TVs that support HDR10 can play all Netflix DV content available to my DV TV, in HDR10. Does Netflix have encodes of both, or is the app just converting it on the fly? Is Vudu just making a statement by only supporting the format they approve of? Could they convert to HDR10 in the app if they wanted?

How do you propose Apple display Netflix DV content on an HDR10 only TV? As SDR? Seems most would prefer whichever looks the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
No longer contributing to Engadget HD
post #5557 of 5558 Old Today, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Have to say, I'm really impressed with iTunes' 4k/HDR encodes. I turned on the playback hud in the developer settings on my 4k Apple TV, and it looks like the 4K iTunes encodes seem to be variable between 25-30mbps. I've seen it get as high as around 35mbps too. They look fantastic too. One other interesting thing of note, is it seems to always pull the Dolby Vision files even if you set the video output to HDR10. It must be doing some conversion between HDR formats on the fly, because the videos definitely still looked like they have HDR.

4K HDR Wonder Woman iTunes Media Info: https://imgur.com/uXNT0Mm

4K HDR Luke Cage Netflix Media Info: https://imgur.com/UsgIp9o

Very nice. I knew they had to be running high bitrate due to how good the movies looked. How do you enable that overlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5558 of 5558 Old Today, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
Very nice. I knew they had to be running high bitrate due to how good the movies looked. How do you enable that overlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a Mac with xcode 9, follow the steps on this page under the Apple TV area: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-9-with-ios-11

Then once you've finished that, go to the settings app on the Apple TV, and there will be a new developer section. In there you can turn on the playback hud.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
bdraw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page