post #631 of 3117 Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I suspect most providers already have caps in place. All the ones I have direct experience with do even if your downlink can't hit the cap running 24x7. If I could get 300GB a month via a 25Mb pipe for $60 I'd jump on it. Of course I tend to watch movies on BD and 85% of my viewing is via my television provider.

Anyway a high quality 720p movie is 3-4GB. So 25GB is on the order of six HD movies a month. Not a huge amount but certainly more than 5-6 hours worth at best quality. Probably 2-3 times that from Netflix with typical content and bandwidth constraints.

iTunes video is always maximum quality so yes streamloading an HD movie a week is going to cut into your allocation and get multiple HD television programs seems impossible (or quite pricey).

That is $60 on top of the normal price which is close to $90. So we are talking $150/month.

25 gigs will get you 5 or 6 movies per month but then what? Your kids will surely want some net time.

Your common setup might be 7-12mbps with 75gigs. Then there are usage charges. The whole thing just seems less appealing.

philip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3117 Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 40MB internet costs me $49 (bundled cable price) and has no cap.
post #633 of 3117 Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked
Can I stream music from my Gen 1 Apple TV's hard drive to another room with a Gen 2 Apple TV?
post #634 of 3117 Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

Can I stream music from my Gen 1 Apple TV's hard drive to another room with a Gen 2 Apple TV?

Not using the standard OS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #635 of 3117 Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Is there a work-around?
post #636 of 3117 Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post
Is there a work-around?
Presumably you could install one of the alternate OS versions that has an appropriate server. I don't have any direct experience.

post #637 of 3117 Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

are you sure. I can't try this as I dont have them both in the same house but the ATV1 can talk airTunes to an airport express. the atv2 does airtunes as well so for music I would expect it to work but can't confirm it. This has nothing to do with airplay which is gen2 ATV only. Can anyone with a ATV1 and 2 confirm this?

Sean
post #638 of 3117 Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

... the ATV1 can talk airTunes to an airport express. the atv2 does airtunes as well so for music I would expect it to work but can't confirm it. ... Can anyone with a ATV1 and 2 confirm this?

I can certainly check. I don't recall seeing my ATV-2g in the AirTunes tab but I might have missed it. I assumed the diferent discovery protocols were an issue.

post #639 of 3117 Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith

are you sure. I can't try this as I dont have them both in the same house but the ATV1 can talk airTunes to an airport express. the atv2 does airtunes as well so for music I would expect it to work but can't confirm it. This has nothing to do with airplay which is gen2 ATV only. Can anyone with a ATV1 and 2 confirm this?

Sean
I can't send music from my ATV1 to an ATV2 unless I am missing something obvious. I don't have an Airport Express though.

The ATV2 just doesn't see the iTunes stuff from the ATV1. Mind you, there is now a limited version of Airplay for the ATV1, but music isn't enabled yet. It uses something called Remote HD and requires a modified ATV1 with ssh capability.

Philip
post #640 of 3117 Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Airplay does work from the iPad to the ATV2 though......if that helps any.
post #641 of 3117 Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...the ATV1 can talk airTunes to an airport express. the atv2 does airtunes as well so for music I would expect it to work..

There are no speakers listed under AirTunes on my ATV-1g. Of course both my ATV-1g and ATV-2g are running XBMC so it's not a pure test. Both devices are busy advertising themselves and can be seen by the Macs and iOS devices. The ATV-1g doesn't see my AirPlay enabled AVR either.

post #642 of 3117 Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are no speakers listed under AirTunes on my ATV-1g. Of course both my ATV-1g and ATV-2g are running XBMC so it's not a pure test. Both devices are busy advertising themselves and can be seen by the Macs and iOS devices. The ATV-1g doesn't see my AirPlay enabled AVR either.

Which AVR has AirPlay enabled at this point? Sounds interesting. You might want to check out Remote HD for the ATV-1g.

Philip
post #643 of 3117 Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Which AVR has AirPlay enabled at this point? Sounds interesting. You might want to check out Remote HD for the ATV-1g.

Philip

Denons and Marantz for starters...not sure of which models but i believe that those that now come equipped can receive a firmware upgrade to enable it. I hear it's a bit buggy though. There's a thread on the AVR forum.
post #644 of 3117 Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Which AVR has AirPlay enabled at this point?

The 3311 and 4311 Denons do audio only AirPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

I hear it's a bit buggy though.

It's not any more buggy than any other part of new Denon. Some people would like it to be a different product. They complain rather than buy an Airport Express or ATV-2g which is particularly silly given the cost of the upgrade and the fact that it only works in one AVR.

post #645 of 3117 Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cool thanks for the test.... weird they dont support that... certainly a software issue that could be addressed in the future. just seems bizarre since ATV1 and ATV2 both are airtunes capable in iTunes.

Sean
post #646 of 3117 Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW: I sold off the Loigtech SB3 and am trying to sell the Logitech Duet but bought another 3 zones for the vacation house and its working well....

One thing that still irks me is that I can't use an ATV as a WiFi access point while you can with the airport express. That will be an important difference for some between the AE and ATV.

Sean
post #647 of 3117 Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...weird they dont support that...

Actually not so much. The A-Express is a "current" product. The ATV-1g is effectively discontinued (i.e. no allocated engineering resources) and should be considered on "clearance".

post #648 of 3117 Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually not so much. The A-Express is a "current" product. The ATV-1g is effectively discontinued (i.e. no allocated engineering resources) and should be considered on "clearance".

understood but the airtunes protocol is well known and supported by all the devices. It seems that the ATV2 and iTunes are might really beusing some other protocol than airtunes under the hood and masquerading as airtunes. It seems in this case they chose not port the code to ATV2 or they made a decision not too.

It's weird in the case of apple. They are generally pretty good about making sure their solutions migrate forward.

so this is more about making their current box not support the existing standard rather than upgrade a dead product.

Sean
post #649 of 3117 Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... It seems that the ATV2 and iTunes are might really beusing some other protocol than airtunes ...

AirPlay is an extension of AirTunes. While both use RAOP they have various differences beyond supporting video.

Quote:

so this is more about making their current box not support the existing standard rather than upgrade a dead product.

Right. I was confused. However Apple has no problem leaving compatibility out (serial ports, floppy disks, firewire, DVD drives, Express bus etc. etc.)

post #650 of 3117 Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Maybe someone here can help. I have an Apple TV first gen. with a 320GB hard drive and the hack with XBMC and Boxee. I also have 2 PCs with different iTunes libraries on them I would like to consolidate both libraries onto the ATV hard drive instead of just syncing to one. Is this possible? I would like to use the iTunes interface on the ATV so that I can use the Remote app on my iPhone to send music to 3 airport expresses throughout the house.

T
post #651 of 3117 Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2 View Post

I also have 2 PCs with different iTunes libraries on them I would like to consolidate both libraries onto the ATV hard drive instead of just syncing to one

Consolidate onto one computer and sync that one.

post #652 of 3117 Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

I can do that but it would make the library way too big for my iPod and iPhone. One library has my CDs and downloaded music that I use for my iPod and Iphone and the other is a complete DJ collection of almost every genre. It gives me a choice to play anything I can think of at home and still have my other music with me.

T
post #653 of 3117 Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can do that but it would make the library way too big for my iPod and iPhone. One library has my CDs and downloaded music that I use for my iPod and Iphone and the other is a complete DJ collection of almost every genre. It gives me a choice to play anything I can think of at home and still have my other music with me.

T

I have 700GB and stream via audiogalaxy. Works great. You dont need to store your whole library on your devices.
post #654 of 3117 Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can do that but it would make the library way too big for my iPod and iPhone.

Is there a reason not to add the small library to the large one and sync the small one to your portable devices and the combined one to your ATV?

I assume what you really want is the ability to sync a shared library. I don't believe that's possible.

post #655 of 3117 Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM

What I would really like to do is just put all the music from both libraries onto the ATV hard drive and not sync with anything. I would then have all the music I have available to stream from the ATV to the 3 Airport Expresses and still sync the small library to my iPhone and iPod.

T
post #656 of 3117 Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What I would really like to do is just put all the music from both libraries onto the ATV hard drive and not sync with anything.

T
I believe you can't get music on the ATV any way except via syncing. There doesn't appear to be any way to manually manage music like you can do with an ipod. You're best bet is to consolidate libraries in to a single large library. Then sync it to your ATV and then sync only selected (checked) music to your ipod/iphone. Good luck.

Jay
post #657 of 3117 Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What I would really like to do is just put all the music from both libraries onto the ATV hard drive and not sync with anything.
That what my suggestion would do. However you need to be prepared for losing everything on the ATV and having to re-sync. I've had that happen a couple of times.

post #658 of 3117 Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Using Filezilla from my PC I was able to copy a movie onto the hard drive. I can watch the movie with XMBC on the ATV but because the movie file is an ISO file the Apple software won't play it. So what I guess I can try is to shut off the sync to my PC and copy some music over to the ATV hard drive and try it.

T
post #659 of 3117 Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 AM

Is their such thing as a HDCP compliant HDMI to DVI adapter that works with apple tv? A friend of mine purchased one that was supposedly HDCP compliant and yet is still having problems getting the ATV to come up on his projector.
post #660 of 3117 Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 View Post

Is their such thing as a HDCP compliant HDMI to DVI adapter that works with apple tv? A friend of mine purchased one that was supposedly HDCP compliant and yet is still having problems getting the ATV to come up on his projector.

Sorry, it is impossible for such an adapter to exist. It would have to be a powered device with a circuit board and chips. Much more than a simple adapter and probably as costly as the appleTV itself due to low sales volumes.

While a simple physical adaptor may achieve the desired result. It would be because hdcp wasn't being required for playback, not that the adapter was supporting hdcp. Otherwise, the entire purpose for hdcp would be bypassed. In order for player manufactures to not have their hdcp decryption key revoked, they would be required to properly implement/require hdcp for all devices they manufacture. Such a device would never be issued a key.

But a master decryption key was supposedly hacked/discovered a few months ago. There could theoretically be devices like what you seek available on the black market in the US or sold legally in some other nations.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page