Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1414Likes

post #6991 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
(a dumb design design IMHO just to avoid a TV flicker)
It takes ~ five seconds to switch my video chain from 4K DV@24 to 4K SDR (or 4K SDR@24 to 4K DV@60 etc. etc.).
gadgtfreek likes this.

Last edited by bodosom; Today at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone having audio sync issues with ATV output set to "4K DV 24hz"?
My LG E6 can't do 60hz and I'd rather set it at 24hz instead of 30hz to match with film content frame rate. Also "4k HDR" looks terrible on these TVs compared to Dolby Vision.

Receiver is a Denon x2400h. The sound syncs fine on any other video outputs.
post #6993 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post
How do you get the dev tools to show up?
You need a Mac and install Xcode. You then run Xcode and pair it wirelessly with the ATV. Once you do that, a developer menu will show in settings where you can toggle the playback HUD.

post #6994 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrForza79 View Post
Ah I meant there is no equivalent for HDR like we have for natural-size to find out what exactly the aTV is outputting.
Line 1 in the HUD will tell you if the original content file that Apple is serving up to your ATV is SDR, HDR10 or DV.
Then you can allow the ATV to choose how to output it (it will choose HDR10 or DV or SDR depending on line 3 which is where it summarizes what it thinks your TV can handle) or you can override the output type by manually selecting something in the ATV settings menu.

So Line 1 tells you whether the content is SDR, HDR10 or DV. And Line 4 tells you the resolution (natural-size) of the content.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #6995 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Line 1 in the HUD will tell you if the original content file that Apple is serving up to your ATV is SDR, HDR10 or DV.

Then you can allow the ATV to choose how to output it (it will choose HDR10 or DV or SDR depending on line 3 which is where it summarizes what it thinks your TV can handle) or you can override the output type by manually selecting something in the ATV settings menu.

So Line 1 tells you whether the content is SDR, HDR10 or DV. And Line 4 tells you the resolution (natural-size) of the content.

So if Line 1 says SDR and Line 3 says HDR10, what do you conclude?

Is it referring to the mapping of SDR content into the HDR container (which is flawed atm)? Or perhaps it is just the configuration of the TV known to the aTV 4K (as setup in settings for display mode)?

My qualm is that Line 3 can be talking about the display only, content or both.

Line 1 DV but Line 3 saying HDR10 is a different beast in itself and I don't think we can extrapolate from my qualm if it is answered either.

Last edited by ZephyrForza79; Yesterday at 08:11 PM.
post #6996 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah I meant there is no equivalent for HDR like we have for natural-size to find out what exactly the aTV is outputting.
Quote:
So if Line 1 says SDR and Line 3 says HDR10, what do you conclude?
Content is in SDR. Apple TV has determined your TV can display HDR10.
Quote:

Is it referring to the mapping of SDR content into the HDR container (which is flawed atm)? Or perhaps it is just the configuration of the TV known to the aTV 4K (as setup in settings for display mode)?

My qualm is that Line 3 can be talking about the display only, content or both.
That's just what the ATV thinks your display can handle. Nothing about the content.
Quote:

Line 1 DV but Line 3 saying HDR10 is a different beast in itself and I don't think we can extrapolate from my qualm if it is answered either.
Just means the content is encoded in DV. Your TV can handle HDR10.

Assuming you let the ATV choose default settings, it is outputting an HDR10 conversion of a DV piece of content to your TV.

My current setup.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #6997 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Content is in SDR. Apple TV has determined your TV can display HDR10. That's just what the ATV thinks your display can handle. Nothing about the content.

Just means the content is encoded in DV. Your TV can handle HDR10.

Assuming you let the ATV choose default settings, it is outputting an HDR10 conversion of a DV piece of content to your TV.
Do you have any proof for this statement? I was wondering because you say like it is a fact.
post #6998 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All the data is in this thread with tests people have run including sniffing metadata with a Linker.
ZephyrForza79 likes this.

My current setup.
post #6999 of 7008 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That said, as you point out, we don’t know what process it is using to do that nor whether it is doing it correctly but it looks like it is doing it well.

My current setup.
post #7000 of 7008 Old Today, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
im reposting part of my quote here since no one responded :-) Is this even possible?

No one responded because you answered your own question.

The 4K remote also has a white ring around the Menu button so that should stick out with eagle-eyed employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7001 of 7008 Old Today, 04:02 AM

Quote:
not sure how I answered my own question by asking another question. i guess my end result is the answer. my experience with BB is they have no clue. For example when I ordered my apple tv they were looking for an actual television. i had to tell them it's a small streaming box. That's just one example, I have others. Anyway I guess it's not possible to pair the 4k remote with the 4th gen apple tv

You wanted to know if it worked, but you also mentioned that it only worked to control the volume on your TV. So it clearly wouldn’t work as intended. That’s what I meant.

post #7002 of 7008 Old Today, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked: 4166
Quote:
not sure how I answered my own question by asking another question. i guess my end result is the answer. my experience with BB is they have no clue. For example when I ordered my apple tv they were looking for an actual television. i had to tell them it's a small streaming box. That's just one example, I have others. Anyway I guess it's not possible to pair the 4k remote with the 4th gen apple tv
I'll tell you why you probably didn't get much in the way of replies. Twice now you have stated "I dont think BB would even notice if I switch them".

Whether it would work or not, this would be paramount to theft knowingly passing off your old remote for a new one.

If you would like to purchase a new Siri remote they can be ordered here for $59 USD a piece...

Apple TV Accessories -- Siri Remote

FYI, according to the overview, this remote is compatible with both the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV 4th generation... so buck up if you want one.
ggw2000, jeep05, chunon and 2 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 - Firmware 1510.3 SEK-3500U
Samsung UN40HU7000 - Firmware 1510.3 SEK-3500U
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; Today at 04:36 AM.
post #7003 of 7008 Old Today, 04:46 AM

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I'll tell you why you probably didn't get much in the way of replies. Twice now you have stated "I dont think BB would even notice if I switch them".

Whether it would work or not, this would be paramount to theft knowingly passing off your old remote for a new one.

If you would like to purchase a new Siri remote they can be ordered here for $59 USD a piece...

FYI, according to the overview, this remote is compatible with both the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV 4th generation... so buck up if you want one.

I wanted to let him know what I really thought of him, but I didn’t wanna be rude. But I’m glad you said something. Don’t know how people can live with themselves after after doing such things.

jeep05 and Musician like this.
post #7004 of 7008 Old Today, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Berry View Post
I wanted to let him know what I really thought of him, but I didn’t wanna be rude. But I’m glad you said something. Don’t know how people can live with themselves after after doing such things.

I appreciate your honesty. For the record I have not retuned this apple tv yet so their was no thievery of remote :-) I honestly was not even thinking about that, but thanks to you both for bringing my stupidity to my attention. Have a great day.
jeep05, Musician and Mr Berry like this.
post #7005 of 7008 Old Today, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I appreciate your honesty. For the record I have not retuned this apple tv yet so their was no thievery of remote :-) I honestly was not even thinking about that, but thanks to you both for bringing my stupidity to my attention. Have a great day.
Morality, humility, and maturity on display - in 4K HDR via the new Apple TV. Kudos.
wxchaser, Musician and Mr Berry like this.
post #7006 of 7008 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 931
I ended up switching to 4K HDR through my receiver instead of Dolby Vision directly through my TV with audio outputting to my receiver. The audio is back in sync and the SDR video no longer looks horrible but I'm not even sure DV content is playing in HDR. I wish we could get some definitive answer on how ATV converts DV to HDR.
nathan_h likes this.
post #7007 of 7008 Old Today, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 111
First I am a Apple Fan. I love the simplicity there products reflect and how they try to get all pieces to work together.I have watched Apple try this before after you know who. What they do is, they first try to do everything in house without any outside help. They will then hire some people that know what their doing and it will get fixed.
Believe me when I say they will fix it, and it is broken. It's just a matter of the priority they place on it.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #7008 of 7008 Old Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh1123 View Post
Anyone having audio sync issues with ATV output set to "4K DV 24hz"?
My LG E6 can't do 60hz and I'd rather set it at 24hz instead of 30hz to match with film content frame rate. Also "4k HDR" looks terrible on these TVs compared to Dolby Vision.

Receiver is a Denon x2400h. The sound syncs fine on any other video outputs.
Try setting the audio on the ATV to Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo instead of best possible.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page