Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1430Likes

post #7021 of 7036 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1116 View Post
does anyone know how to unpaid the Apple TV remote so as to pair the Harmony Ultimate remote?
correction un-pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7036 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1116 View Post
does anyone know how to unpaid the Apple TV remote so as to pair the Harmony Ultimate remote?

No need. Both work just fine together.
post #7023 of 7036 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
ok thanks, i just looked at the specs and like you said the 4k is Gigabit Ethernet and the 4 is 10/100BASE-T Ethernet. So I guess the 10/100BASE-T Ethernet is limited to max of 100 mbps? I wonder if I'm better off using wifi.

In case anyone cares, network bandwidth is actually better with wifi on the apple tv 4, I'm getting over 230 Mbps right now, with ethernet cable i was getting around 80
Interesting.

I have always had my AppleTV-Gen4 using a Cat-6 wire to gigabit (backbone) switch. Never really tried the WiFi (I reserve WiFi for wireless devices).

If it's like conventional computers and laptops, even if it's 80 instead of 230 ... I would be surprised if Ping and sustained transfers are better wireless vs wired.

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") ~ Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Dot
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Subwoofer

post #7024 of 7036 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I get exactly the same FAST speed regardless if I am wired or not wired.
cydeweyz likes this.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 (SEK3500) | Oppo UDP-205 | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 mkII pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote | Apple 4k TV (x2)
post #7025 of 7036 Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
I get exactly the same FAST speed regardless if I am wired or not wired.
If you have a good router and/or are the only one using the router, then yes, that can easily be true.

Right, as long as it's "fast enough" that's what is important. It's just that when people start talking of the these crazy-high wireless speeds and how they are faster than wires, I begin to wonder.

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") ~ Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Dot
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Subwoofer
post #7026 of 7036 Old Today, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Interesting.

I have always had my AppleTV-Gen4 using a Cat-6 wire to gigabit (backbone) switch. Never really tried the WiFi (I reserve WiFi for wireless devices).

If it's like conventional computers and laptops, even if it's 80 instead of 230 ... I would be surprised if Ping and sustained transfers are better wireless vs wired.
the results I got were with xcode and are consistent with the speedtest app on my apple tv 4. This is not what I would consider normal where wireless is getting a stronger signal than wired, makes no sense. My television on the other hand using amazon's built in app I can see that it takes up to a full minute to get a program to display HDR in 4k. and it goes back and fourth between 4k and 1080p. It's def better wired on my television, no back and fourth between 1080p and 4k. The description of my cable is RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Cable. Don't know what a gigabit backbone switch is, maybe I could use one. I have a few devices wired directly to my verizon router, such as both my tv's and my apple tv.

Last edited by akadennis; Today at 03:31 AM.
post #7027 of 7036 Old Today, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
It's just that when people start talking of the these crazy-high wireless speeds and how they are faster than wires, I begin to wonder.
1) The fact that the ATV 4th Gen can get better performance via wireless than wired is not new information (two years ago).
2) Off-site speed tests are not typically suitable for measuring Wi-Fi performance. Air Video includes a speed test that uses your local Air Video server. Of course you have to be able to fill the pipe (802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO) to have a valid test.

Last edited by bodosom; Today at 04:40 AM.
post #7028 of 7036 Old Today, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
1) The fact that the ATV 4th Gen can get better performance via wireless than wired is not new information (two years ago).
2) Off-site speed tests are not typically suitable for measuring Wi-Fi performance. Air Video includes a speed test that uses your local Air Video server. Of course you have to be able to fill the pipe (802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO) to have a valid test.
Thanks for pointing this out. Makes sense now.
post #7029 of 7036 Old Today, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
If you have a good router and/or are the only one using the router, then yes, that can easily be true.

Right, as long as it's "fast enough" that's what is important. It's just that when people start talking of the these crazy-high wireless speeds and how they are faster than wires, I begin to wonder.
Asus Router: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need a fast network and I am running these in my setup. I also wonder about the claims of faster wireless vs wired.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 (SEK3500) | Oppo UDP-205 | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 mkII pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote | Apple 4k TV (x2)
post #7030 of 7036 Old Today, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
I also wonder about the claims of faster wireless vs wired.
No need to wonder, Wi-Fi can be faster than 100Mb ethernet. Given the way the ATV works (download or streaming) bandwidth is more important than latency but wired should always be fast enough.
DenonLover likes this.

Last edited by bodosom; Today at 07:11 AM.
post #7031 of 7036 Old Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Since getting gigabit, you find the weak spot are the device specs, not the internet, wired or wireless.
post #7032 of 7036 Old Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#33ed536a3974

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #7033 of 7036 Old Today, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
IMO - it is false advertising to sell something as 4K HDR and then not be able to view your content in that format.
post #7034 of 7036 Old Today, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
IMO - it is false advertising to sell something as 4K HDR and then not be able to view your content in that format.
Except Apple is changing the description dynamically and not charging more for 4K.

They could certainly present this in a more customer friendly fashion but even if they change the encoding hourly as long as iTunes describes it correctly at that time you're getting what they describe.

By the way, I mostly detest analogies but it's like rentals -- sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not.

Last edited by bodosom; Today at 09:02 AM.
post #7035 of 7036 Old Today, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Can a Linker help?

So far using a Linker isn't helping but that's using EDID presets. E.g. switching from 4K@60 to 4K@24 causes the ATV to switch to 1080p. It also seems to break DV forcing the ATV to switch to RGB (which isn't even a menu option). So although the execution is flawed the concept seems sound so I'll keep looking at this. There is firmware for a particular projector so HDFury may be able to sort something out or perhaps I just need to construct a very specific EDID record. I'm also using short HDMI jumpers so I might try longer ones.
post #7036 of 7036 Old Today, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
I downloaded the Linker manual and will need to study it more. I too suspect it MIGHT present a way to trigger changes to the ATV is a better fashion. (I use the Linker to let me send a UHD signal with HDR to my projector, but avoid sending HDR triggering queue to the projector, since the projector's default HDR mode is inferior to a custom HDR mode my calibrator helped set up.)

For me, if the Linker helps with the ATV output switching, it would need to do it via one of the toggles on the physical device since I don't have a bluetooth dongle for it and I don't have a computer close by to alter the EDID settings easily. At that point, it becomes less cumbersome to just manually adjust the ATV in the settings menu. (Sure wish I could get that Video Output selection button on the Harmony to work for me, like some people have.)

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page