Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1467Likes

post #7081 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
That would be my preference to the extent that iTunes gets the UHD releases. It has both HDR formats and so far, I?ve not had an interrupted stream and the quality is very high. Audio formats could be improved but for home use it?s great. If I was doing a Uber-enthusiast theater, I?d probably go disk but for a 75? Vizio, these iTunes UHD streams look awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Have you compared Vudu UHD titles with the same titles on the Apple TV 4k? If so, did you notice a difference in quality?
AVS did a Bluray, Vudu, iTunes comparison a few years back. Search for that.

If the trend stays the same, the iTunes/AppleTV UHD releases Approach physical release quality.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I think Apple somewhat screwed up with the perception of the Apple TV 4K with people in general referring to “Fake 4K” and “Fake HDR” or something similar. Those terms aren’t exactly correct but it has become intrinsically linked. And until they fix the 4K tags for HD-only movies and I will continue to have doubts when someone says the movie plays in 4K because I don’t know if they are saying with the swipe down while playing or the movie info screen which always says 4K :/
Sujay, ataneruo and brotony like this.
post #7083 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrForza79 View Post
I think Apple somewhat screwed up with the perception of the Apple TV 4K with people in general referring to “Fake 4K” and “Fake HDR” or something similar. Those terms aren’t exactly correct but it has become intrinsically linked. And until they fix the 4K tags for HD-only movies and I will continue to have doubts when someone says the movie plays in 4K because I don’t know if they are saying with the swipe down while playing or the movie info screen which always says 4K :/
wholeheartedly agree. now that they've "fixed" the correct playback quality, they need to fix their labeling to properly reflect the quality of the movie license that you own/redeemed.
ataneruo, brotony and daimler2015 like this.

post #7084 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
It’s my perspective as well. I won’t be replacing my K8500 with a DV capable player. I’m personally satisfied with the ATV4k. I watched War for the Planet of the Apes last night in HDR10 and felt it was overall outstanding.

Did you buy War for the Planet of the Apes directly from iTunes or did you use a iTunes HD code?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samsung 55JS9000
Vizio P65-C1
post #7085 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
That would be my preference to the extent that iTunes gets the UHD releases. It has both HDR formats and so far, I’ve not had an interrupted stream and the quality is very high. Audio formats could be improved but for home use it’s great. If I was doing a Uber-enthusiast theater, I’d probably go disk but for a 75” Vizio, these iTunes UHD streams look awesome.

This is exactly what I'm really struggling with. Really wanting to accept the conveniences and benefits of going all in on iTunes content use, but that little last mile of quality holding me back. Still, I really want to be done with discs and storing or messing with them.

So, it's more a question for me of maintaining my current home server setup and all the work and upkeep and cost required for that or mate a Kaleidescape perhaps with the Oppo. But K still has major deficiencies in their store content availability and no link yet to MA.

If/when ATV gets Atmos, that will help a great deal for me. I have the same 75" Vizio, but I hope I'm looking at an 85" perhaps next year. That extra 10" will benefit from more detail.

Still, the HD Test Youtube video is very telling. Lots of high praise for the ATV quality in there. There is a difference, but it's slight, and in motion/regular viewing perhaps non-perceptible. Their commentary mimics exactly what I've been telling my friends as I've A/B testing the ATV4k vs. my Oppo with UHD discs.

Gear: Vizio P75, Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 (coming), Triad Silver 7.2.4
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Oppo 203, Xbox, PS, Switch, PC
Xbox Live: TrackZ
PSN: TrackZ
Steam/PC: TrackZ06
post #7086 of 7090 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Have you compared Vudu UHD titles with the same titles on the Apple TV 4k? If so, did you notice a difference in quality?
I have done this a good bit in comparing 1080p streams of VUDU vs. iTunes. In every case, IMO, iTunes beasts VUDU fairly soundly despite being lower bit rate.

Try The Dark Knight Rises and jump to ~54 minutes in when Batman and Catwoman are fighting on the rooftop and escape in the batplane. Watch through their landing a minute or so later. View it on ATV/iTunes and then VUDU. The iTunes encode holds the dark background and cloudiness almost akin to the Blu-ray. VUDU falls apart and macroblocks. It's one example, but it's indicative of what I've seen comparing the two in more content.

Also, don't go my streaming comparison studies that are older. Encodings have changed. Apple seems to have upped their game over the past couple years, improving encoding approach and resultant quality. If you download you content in iTunes and inspect with MediaInfo, you'll see encoding dates for years old movies dated within the last year or so.

Also, ATV streams higher quality than desktop iTunes downloads. It's higher bit rate and more data and many new titles have DD+ 7.1. You only get those boosts when the ATV plays the content direct.
Mr Berry likes this.

Gear: Vizio P75, Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 (coming), Triad Silver 7.2.4
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Oppo 203, Xbox, PS, Switch, PC
Xbox Live: TrackZ
PSN: TrackZ
Steam/PC: TrackZ06
post #7087 of 7090 Old Today, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Curious to hear your feedback on that title/VUDU.

I thought the movie was pretty good and the video quality was very good as well (mostly outside shots). I didn't have any problems when casting to Vizio using the iOS app. I didn't try using the Vizio builit-in Vudu app since I've had so many issues with that.

lujan
234 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #7088 of 7090 Old Today, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
I have done this a good bit in comparing 1080p streams of VUDU vs. iTunes. In every case, IMO, iTunes beasts VUDU fairly soundly despite being lower bit rate.

Try The Dark Knight Rises and jump to ~54 minutes in when Batman and Catwoman are fighting on the rooftop and escape in the batplane. Watch through their landing a minute or so later. View it on ATV/iTunes and then VUDU. The iTunes encode holds the dark background and cloudiness almost akin to the Blu-ray. VUDU falls apart and macroblocks. It's one example, but it's indicative of what I've seen comparing the two in more content.

Also, don't go my streaming comparison studies that are older. Encodings have changed. Apple seems to have upped their game over the past couple years, improving encoding approach and resultant quality. If you download you content in iTunes and inspect with MediaInfo, you'll see encoding dates for years old movies dated within the last year or so.

Also, ATV streams higher quality than desktop iTunes downloads. It's higher bit rate and more data and many new titles have DD+ 7.1. You only get those boosts when the ATV plays the content direct.
Interesting...

lujan
234 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #7089 of 7090 Old Today, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

I feel the same way about iTunes movie quality on ATV. It always looked better than Vudu and other Streaming sites to me.

The Bitrate is also quite high. Often in the low to mid 20’s in Spider-Man Homecoming. I’ve seen spikes into the 30’s on a few movies. All of this for 4K of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7090 of 7090 Old Today, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestr View Post
Did you buy War for the Planet of the Apes directly from iTunes or did you use a iTunes HD code?

Used an HD code... it’s works properly entered into FoxRedeem. It displays and plays 4k/HDR in iTunes.

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Home Theater Geeks: The Vizio P Series 2016 Show w/Scott, Tyler & Tom
Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra

Last edited by thomasfxlt; Today at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page