Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1537Likes

post #7141 of 7147 Old Today, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Just Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Please elaborate. From the press reports, the issue with forcing HDR appears to be unchanged in 11.1 beta released today.
From the today's release notes:

Quote:
Home Screen
Resolved Issues
• Increased on-screen UI brightness for HDR output. (34019671)
Apple is just getting started with resolving the outstanding issues related to HDR content. It's not as if they lack the resources to get it right. This is just an incremental update. Not sure if they have something big in store for the release of the HomePod, but like I said, in six months I'm confident we're going to see a wealth of improvements to how it handles HDR.

Space | The Media Room: 10.5 L x 7.5 W x 7.5 H | FiOS 150Mbps Ethernet
Sound | 5.1.2 Atmos: Denon AVR-S920W | Pioneer A. Jones SP-BS22-LR/SP-C22/SP-T22A-LR | Polk OWM3/PSW10
Vision | 4K Dolby Vision/HDR10: Vizio P50-C1 | Apple TV 4K | Microsoft XB1S | FiOS Moto QIP7232-P2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7147 Old Today, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Please elaborate.
I can't speak to the OP's point but video format switches are much faster in 11.1. Not a flicker but maybe a second versus five seconds to get to the okay/cancel prompt. Perhaps this is step one.
daimler2015 likes this.
post #7143 of 7147 Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post

Apple is just getting started with resolving the outstanding issues related to HDR content. It's not as if they lack the resources to get it right. This is just an incremental update. Not sure if they have something big in store for the release of the HomePod, but like I said, in six months I'm confident we're going to see a wealth of improvements to how it handles HDR.
Fair enough.

My definition of fixing the HDR mess is a bit different, but yes, if mapping SDR into an HDR container is the goal, I agree they will continue to tweak and improve that process.

As you might guess, I personally don't think that's a genuine (or complete) fix because it ignores the OTHER HALF of the problem, namely, the compromises most consumer displays suffer from when displaying content in an HDR container -- less accurate REC709 color, less accurate SDR gamma, higher power consumption in some displays, raised black floor in some displays, lack of dynamic dimming/iris/local dimming in some displays, lockout of calibration controls in some displays, etc.

In other words: No matter how good Apple gets at shoving everything into an HDR container, there are many use cases where that is still a suboptimal scenario for the quality of the video that is displayed.

And while I don't have a lot of hope they'll provide an option to have the output type switch based on content type (though that approach works well on UDH blu ray players and on other streaming devices and TV apps), at least doing things like the following will make manually changing settings based on program time a little easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I can't speak to the OP's point but video format switches are much faster in 11.1. Not a flicker but maybe a second versus five seconds to get to the okay/cancel prompt. Perhaps this is step one.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

post #7144 of 7147 Old Today, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post
Thanks for the response. How easy is it to swap between HDR/SDR mode?
Just takes a minute. Open up the Settings app, scroll to the right action, three or four clicks and you are done.

Quote:
Is the Amazon Video app for ATV5 out yet?
Not yet but hopefully soon.

Quote:
Also, regarding YouTube I've seen that the app on ATV5 just upscales 1080p with no HDR, but that actual 4K support (still no HDR) is coming. Is that accurate?
I can't find any credible report of this, but I would love to be wrong. YouTube has tons of fun UHD content. I would love to see it get supported.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #7145 of 7147 Old Today, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Just takes a minute. Open up the Settings app, scroll to the right action, three or four clicks and you are done.

Not yet but hopefully soon.

I can't find any credible report of this, but I would love to be wrong. YouTube has tons of fun UHD content. I would love to see it get supported.

Good info, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7146 of 7147 Old Today, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Is the Amazon Video app for ATV5 out yet?

Also, regarding YouTube I've seen that the app on ATV5 just upscales 1080p with no HDR, but that actual 4K support (still no HDR) is coming. Is that accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not accurate, since google requires the same unsupported codec (vp9) for 4K non-HDR content.
nathan_h likes this.
post #7147 of 7147 Old Today, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Bought the Mummy on iTunes and watched it tonight after looking through all of Apple's 4k HDR content and was very pleased with the video; not as pleased with the sound. It was not bad, but it wasn't like listening to a Blu-ray through the Oppo 205.

When I am watching the same movie on the Blu-ray, I need to change the video to movie to make it look right to my eyes. On the iTunes version I thought it looked better in dynamic or normal vs the movie setting. Then again, I have watered down HDR.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 (SEK3500) | Oppo UDP-205 | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 mkII pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote | Apple 4k TV (x2)
post #7148 of 7147 Old Today, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Anyone know how to purchase an iTunes movie that is already in your account? I read that if you "Hide" the purchase it would work to order the 4k version but it didn't work for me.

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page