post #721 of 3106 Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

What are you guys using a hardwire ethernet connection or or a wireless router connection

Im using wifi netgear 150n router, Netflix streams fine but xbmc has problems streaming from my computer

Running a long Ethernet cable is not an opfion

I was thinking the airport extreme router

What you guys think?

can you use airport extreme router to use airplay to your AV system without apple tv?

More so

what are compatible audio, video files for air play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3106 Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Airport extreme is just a router

Only thing it does is connect you to the Internet wireless wifi

What do u guys think of the western digital powerline adapter
post #723 of 3106 Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
Dolby Digital 5.1 is it working in Canada? It is not working (Dolby 5.1) since yesterday evening. I called Netflix andthet told me that itwasmy internet connection. But I have streamed 5.1movies from Apple andeverything work fine. So were is the problem? It look to me the problem come from Netflix, so if someone could check on your system.

Thanks

Yves
post #724 of 3106 Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM

It look that Doby 5.1 is working again now! I'm glad it is but I would like to understand what is going on.
post #725 of 3106 Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post

Just picked up my apple tv 2 last night and set up was a breeze! However disappointed that my Quicktime Movies on my Macs iPhoto are not visible on apple TV?! Will they not appear OR stream because they are not in iTunes or do i just need to convert them? Thanks

You don't have to put them in iTunes. Videos in iPhoto do appear on the Apple TV with Home Sharing. You just have to go to "Advanced > Choose Photos to Share" within iTunes and make sure you select iPhoto and check the box to include videos. I don't think it is checked by default.
post #726 of 3106 Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 AM

This may be a stupid question, but I need to be sure before I buy a nas. I have a gen 1 apple tv and I am vibrating all my DVDs via hb to put into iTunes. I want to put all my movies, music and photos into a nas and stream to my 1st gen apple tv. I don't want to have my laptop on and running iTunes all the time when I am using my apple tv. When I look at specs on the nas's they mention that there is an iTunes server with that nas. Is this all I need? I am looking at the western digital my books. Help will be very appreciated.
post #727 of 3106 Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgarvin View Post

This may be a stupid question, but I need to be sure before I buy a nas. I have a gen 1 apple tv and I am vibrating all my DVDs via hb to put into iTunes. I want to put all my movies, music and photos into a nas and stream to my 1st gen apple tv. I don't want to have my laptop on and running iTunes all the time when I am using my apple tv. When I look at specs on the nas's they mention that there is an iTunes server with that nas. Is this all I need? I am looking at the western digital my books. Help will be very appreciated.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that with a stock ATV1 the content needs to be either on the internal hard drive or an itunes server. Some NAS have itunes compatible servers but I'm not sure how compatible they are. Another alternative is to load XBMC on your ATV. It definitely will do everything you want without taking away any native ATV functionality. I have 3 ATV1 units all with XBMC and all my videos/photos reside on a Buffalo Linkstaion NAS. Another benefit of XBMC is that it supports many different video formats so it is not necessary to use handbrake to transcode DVD rips. If your interested I can point you to several resources. Good luck.

Jay
post #728 of 3106 Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you for your reply, I have done the hack and have XBMC on the device. What formats does XBMC support? I really like being Able to rip the disc and then put cover art on the file and load to iTunes. The files actually are pretty descent after my video processor cleans up everything. So if I understand you, I can use a nas like the western digital my book and then use XBMC instead of iTunes. I will do some research later tonight. Any links would be helpful.
post #729 of 3106 Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

The nas iTunes servers won't work. You could get a WHS and put iTunes on it. You need to have iTunes for Mac or Windows running somewhere. The media can live anywhere.

If you patch the ATV1 then you can either install nitoTV and that will free you from itunes or XBMC which will as well. You will still have the functionality of the ATV1 going either way.

philip
post #730 of 3106 Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your reply, I have done the hack and have XBMC on the device. What formats does XBMC support? I really like being Able to rip the disc and then put cover art on the file and load to iTunes. The files actually are pretty descent after my video processor cleans up everything. So if I understand you, I can use a nas like the western digital my book and then use XBMC instead of iTunes. I will do some research later tonight. Any links would be helpful.

XBMC supports mosts common formats. It also handles cover art and movie info(plot,cast,rating,etc.) very well. You can rip dvds into to VIDEO_TS folders or iso files and maintain full menu capability or just rip the main movie. I have also been converting some DVD files to m4v files using handbrake with good results. The resulting file size is about 25-30% of the original, has nearly identical video quality, identical audio quality and can also play on the native ATV if desired.

Here is a good link for general XBMC info and here is info on the Apple TV specific install. Good luck.

Jay
post #731 of 3106 Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Liked: 19
Has anybody else noticed overscan with the AppleTV? I've noticed it infrequently, but it's really noticeable using the MLB.TV app when they go to commercial. It's supposed to be for Volvo, but my Apple TV only shows "Vol". Using the Boxee Box I can see the full name and that's using the same receiver and the same input on the TV.
post #732 of 3106 Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM

I have a 250gb data limit per month with my ISP. I subscribe to MLB.tv. Does anyone know how much data I use in watching an average game in HD.
post #733 of 3106 Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I got some Amazon gift cards as birthday presents... ordered myself an Apple TV as a present
It should be here tomorrow... I'm sure I'll be on here asking dumb questions in no time!

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #734 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

All,

bought a go pro HD video camera earlier in the snowboard season and have been filming lots of video and trying to get the best playback solution worked out.

PC plays these videos fine
Mac plays these videos fine in iTunes or QuickTime
XBMC plays these videos but has limited fast forward and rewind support.

The popcorn hour C-200 which usually eats high bit rate videos for breakfast is an epic fail. It hangs constantly and needs to be cold reset. sometimes it works... sometimes FF/REW work but overall its totally unusable for that.

Did not have high expectation for the ATV2 but it plays the videos flawlessly via either iPhoto or iTunes (with the libraries for both living on a NAS). Fast forward/rewind are excellent. slow motion is excellent. Watched nearly 4 hours of footage the last few days and its been perfect.

Did not expect the ATV2 to outperform the other streamers here but it handily did.

Highly recommended accesssory for anyone with a go pro.

Sean
post #735 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

All,

bought a go pro HD video camera earlier in the snowboard season and have been filming lots of video and trying to get the best playback solution worked out.

PC plays these videos fine
Mac plays these videos fine in iTunes or QuickTime
XBMC plays these videos but has limited fast forward and rewind support.

The popcorn hour C-200 which usually eats high bit rate videos for breakfast is an epic fail. It hangs constantly and needs to be cold reset. sometimes it works... sometimes FF/REW work but overall its totally unusable for that.

Did not have high expectation for the ATV2 but it plays the videos flawlessly via either iPhoto or iTunes (with the libraries for both living on a NAS). Fast forward/rewind are excellent. slow motion is excellent. Watched nearly 4 hours of footage the last few days and its been perfect.

Did not expect the ATV2 to outperform the other streamers here but it handily did.

Highly recommended accesssory for anyone with a go pro.

Sean

Sean,
What's your set up to get ATV to read off of your NAS? Did you jailbreak??
post #736 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Did not have high expectation for the ATV2 but it plays the videos flawlessly via either iPhoto or iTunes (with the libraries for both living on a NAS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinbennett View Post

Sean,

iPhoto and iTunes are storing their libraries on the NAS. The ATV-2g doesn't care where the libraries are stored.
post #737 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM

I've been thinking of picking up an ATV2. My question is, can I play back ripped movies on it as well? I would like to rip copies of all my kids' movies to save wear and tear on the disks. Can I rip copies of them to iTunes and play them back that way?

I assume the ATV2 will play digital copies from iTunes as well?

Thanks in advance!

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #738 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

My question is, can I play back ... movies [derived from MPEG-2 etc.]

See HandBrake.
post #739 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM

I still haven't got through reading this whole thread so forgive me if it has been covered already.

Has anyone had problems with your ATV2 displaying an error when trying to download a rented movie? I have the latest FW.

I am in contact with Apple and they are investigating.

Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #740 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Hello all apple tv owners! Question? Would Apple TV be better then using an airport express to stream music from itunes on my PC to my a/v receiver? Or would they both give relatively the same audio quality? I would buy either device mainly for music streaming. I would want my a/v receivers dac to do the d/a conversion, and would be connecting it via ethernet. Thanks in advance for any help given.
post #741 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post

I would buy either device mainly for music streaming.

[emphasis mine]
This implies a secondary purpose. What would that be?

In the general case the two devices are remarkably different. Even audio, the one thing they have in common, is quite different although similar.
post #742 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

[emphasis mine]
This implies a secondary purpose. What would that be?

In the general case the two devices are remarkably different. Even audio, the one thing they have in common, is quite different although similar.

Hello, as a secondary purpose, I would maybe stream from some of ATVs video channels. However, music from itunes on PC to a/v receiver is the main goal with the best possible audio quality. I was looking at a Roku box too. Just seemed easier for using an apple tv to stream from apple itunes. User friendy as well. Apple airport express also seems good but its also a router and I already have one, so not sure if they woul play nice together.
post #743 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello, as a secondary purpose, I would maybe stream from some of ATVs video channels. However, music from itunes on PC to a/v receiver is the main goal with the best possible audio quality.
At this time the Airport Express can handle higher quality audio than the Apple TV as well as being more flexible. So if your library is in a lossless format the AE is more capable. I don't believe it's perceptibly better but some people do. Naturally if you want to stream video then you don't have a choice. If your library is mp3 and aac encoded audio then the ATV is fine.
post #744 of 3106 Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help Bodosom. I currently have no lossless music. Just lame encoded mp3 320 kbps and AAC 256 kbps. I would like to eventually convert everything to FLAC, but right now, just doesnt seem worth it. Last questions: Will the music sent from my PC/itunes to the ATV receive the D/A conversion on the ATV. Or if I use optical connection on the ATV, will it bypass the ATV DAC to be decoded by my a/v receiver? im looking for the best possible conversion here. Better then just directly hooking up my ipod to my a/v receiver through a Y cable. As for the AE, I know the AE acts as a router too. I already have a gigabit a router for my network. Do you think that will present conflicts? I will only be hooking up the AE via ethernet. Again, thanks!
post #745 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinbennett View Post
Sean,
ATV reads content from iTunes and iPhoto which live on the MacMini and the data for those programs lives on the NAS.

ATV2 talks to MAC talks to NAS

I do have it jail broken but that has nothing to do this....

I am not talking about XBMC here. just straight up ATV2.

Sean
post #746 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to help Bodosom. I currently have no lossless music. Just lame encoded mp3 320 kbps and AAC 256 kbps. I would like to eventually convert everything to FLAC, but right now, just doesnt seem worth it. Last questions: Will the music sent from my PC/itunes to the ATV receive the D/A conversion on the ATV. Or if I use optical connection on the ATV, will it bypass the ATV DAC to be decoded by my a/v receiver? im looking for the best possible conversion here. Better then just directly hooking up my ipod to my a/v receiver through a Y cable. As for the AE, I know the AE acts as a router too. I already have a gigabit a router for my network. Do you think that will present conflicts? I will only be hooking up the AE via ethernet. Again, thanks!
if you want to convert to FLAC then you dont want any apple products as they dont use FLAC. your SOL. Now if you want to use Apple Lossless which is the same as FLAC exccept it plays on apple devices then you will be happy. ALAC is nearly as widely supported as FLAC and more prevalent than WMA for example.

both Airport Express and ATV2 have digital audio outputs....

given the level of questions your are asking I recommend the ATV2 versus the AE

Differences:

ATV2: plays video, pics, etc.... cannot be a print server or a hotspot.
AE: no video, can be a hotspot and a print server.

Sean
post #747 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will the music sent from my PC/itunes to the ATV receive the D/A conversion on the ATV.

The ATV-2g doesn't have analog outputs so I doubt there's any digital to analog conversion happening in the box.

Quote:
I already have a gigabit a router for my network. Do you think that will present conflicts? I will only be hooking up the AE via ethernet. Again, thanks!

No.
post #748 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

ATV reads content from iTunes and iPhoto which live on the MacMini and the data for those programs lives on the NAS.

ATV2 talks to MAC talks to NAS

I do have it jail broken but that has nothing to do this....

I am not talking about XBMC here. just straight up ATV2.

Sean

Agreed. My iTunes files live on a Windows Home Server. My ATV2 streams from my HP laptop which is sourcing the files from the WHS with no problems. Seamless.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #749 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The ATV-2g doesn't have analog outputs so I doubt there's any digital to analog conversion happening in the box.

No.

can aptv2 stream from time capsule or any other drive on ur network videos if not on itunes?
post #750 of 3106 Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM

There was much discussion last year about installing the Broadcom crystal HD chip in an apple tv. With the addition of the XBMC software this was reputed to provide good 1080p playback of remotely stored 1080p files.

It's now over a year since the original posts. I thought I would try my hand at tinkering with my old atv. I completed all of the install as described. Really no problem, little expense. My atv gen 1 now is capable of playing 1080p files-sort of.

Lots of stutter and dropped frames. Improved somewhat by setting the atv to output 720p rather than 1080p, but the viewing experience has not been pleasant. This is with BD rips in m2ts or ts containers made with tsmuxer or mkv made with MakeMkv. It does work fine with the 720p apple tv optimized files. The only advantage of this is that it allows video streaming without iTunes being on. The m2ts files play fine if played from a WD TV live unit plugged into the same outlet as the atv, so its not a network issue afaik.

Has anybody gotten this setup to work for them?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page