post #991 of 3108 Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

No...both wireless, which is my only option at the moment. The Roku and ATV are within inches of each other. The best way I can describe the picture difference between the two is a "downgraded" picture because of the connection. If you are familiar with older generations of Roku, they have a dot system for Netflix with 4 dots and HD as the best. The ATV is similar in quality to when the Roku downgrades the picture from 4 dots / HD to just 4 dots. Could the Roku have a better internal wifi adapter? That would be interesting because the Roku is only N 2.4 Ghz. I am wondering if I should try switching the ATV from 5Ghz N to 2.4Ghz N.

Its most likely the wifi causing the difference. Can't say I ever see a difference between the ATV2 or the Roku (own both) on my 110" screen.

sure try the other band. try unplugging the roku too.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3108 Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

Ithe Roku is much more sharp than the ATV.

Perhaps you have insufficient bandwidth (or the ATV2g is throttling as if you don't). My PS3 streams about three times the bandwidth of my ATV2g.
post #993 of 3108 Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
I have an ATV2g running the latest version of xbmc. Some time over the past two weeks it has started rebooting the unit while running xbmc. Everything runs fine when in the apple provided apps like Netflix, podcasts and music streaming from iTunes. However xbmc reboots after about 5-10 minutes of watching. There is no warning or error message, just a short pause in the video followed by a reboot.

A search of these forums and google turns up nothing... Well, I can't get a combination of search terms that turns up anything that applies anyway.

Anyone else having this issue?
post #994 of 3108 Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Go to nitotv and install updatebegone

Also turn off sleep mode and screensaver
post #995 of 3108 Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchin View Post

A search of these forums and google turns up nothing... Well, I can't get a combination of search terms that turns up anything that applies anyway

This sounds like the problem that was caused by Apple's recent firmware update. I suspect you hadn't disabled the automatic updates when you first jailbroke and installed XBMC. I did, so I haven't experienced this problem, but there are a ton of posts about it on the XBMC forums. As I haven't experienced the problem, I also haven't bothered to look into the remedy, but TatorTot's recommendation sounds correct.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #996 of 3108 Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 PM

I often host an outdoor movie night with my projector and my DVD player. I would like to start using the Apple TV 2 as my content source. The projector has an HDMI input but I use some Cambridge Soundworks amplified speakers for my sound. Can anyone recommend a Digital TOSLINK in to Analog RCA output converter so I can hook up my Apple TV 2 audio to my amplified speakers? I've read that some converters don't support multi-channel surround sound inputs (not that I'm doing surround sound but I want this to work with any movie I happen to download/rent from Apple).
post #997 of 3108 Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

This sounds like the problem that was caused by Apple's recent firmware update. I suspect you hadn't disabled the automatic updates when you first jailbroke and installed XBMC. I did, so I haven't experienced this problem, but there are a ton of posts about it on the XBMC forums. As I haven't experienced the problem, I also haven't bothered to look into the remedy, but TatorTot's recommendation sounds correct.

That was the issue. Thanks for the response. I am not sure why I missed the threads on the xbmc site. I must have looked to early.
post #998 of 3108 Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 AM

been having this problem lately my Apple tv2 keeps rebooting by itself....anybody know how to fix this?
post #999 of 3108 Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlinerz View Post

been having this problem lately my Apple tv2 keeps rebooting by itself....anybody know how to fix this?

We need more info...what firmware are you running? Is it jailbroken? What version of XBMC? What is it doing before it crashes?

If you are jailbroken, but have not updated the firmware, the atv2 will keep trying to update and will crash unless you run the "updatebegone" from inside nitoTV.

Or you can go ahead and update and then jailbreak again with the latest version of Seas0nPass.

hope this helps
post #1000 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 AM

Has anyone else lost the ability to "Add to Queue"/"Remove from Queue" for Netflix titles? I noticed yesterday the queue button seems to have disappeared suddenly from titles on my ATV2. What gives?
post #1001 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

What are the chances theres a new apple tv this year

60%

50%

40%

???
post #1002 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
this year?

likely closer to 0%...

seems like, judging by all the rumors, they are concentrating efforts on whatever their new "all in one" display product is going to be...

not sure what an atv3 would "look like"??

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1003 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

What are the chances theres a new apple tv this year

60%

50%

40%

???

20% or less. What would you add to it? They might do a refresh with a faster chip and more memory, but I don't see them completely revamping it. Software updates with new features...yes. Whole new device...not likely.
post #1004 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywlkrsnd View Post

20% or less. What would you add to it? They might do a refresh with a faster chip and more memory, but I don't see them completely revamping it. Software updates with new features...yes. Whole new device...not likely.

1080p?

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #1005 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topend View Post

1080p?

Can the ATV2 not do 1080p with its current processor?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1006 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

720p only.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #1007 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

A few things:
1) The ATV2 can only output 720p. This is a hardware limitation.
2) The stock ATV2 can play some 1080p content (downscaled to 720p to the display), but it will not play smoothly.
3) A jailbroken ATV2 running XBMC can play back some 1080p content smoothly, but you're still limited to outputting it at 720p.

It's my understanding that the thing preventing 1080p output is not so much the A4 CPU/GPU, but the amount of video RAM that it has. A next-gen ATV with more RAM (and ideally an A5 CPU/GPU) should be able to handle h.264 encoded 1080p. Note that the GPU handles the h.264 decoding. If the underlying 1080p video data is in a non-h.264 format (e.g., MPEG-2 as used in HDTV TV broadcasts, or VC1 which is used on some Blu-rays), the GPU can't decode that, and the CPU would need to do it. The A4 CPU in the ATV2 is not up to that task, but it's possible that the A5 might be.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath for a next-gen ATV this year, but I'd love to be wrong.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #1008 of 3108 Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topend View Post

1080p?

Not until it makes sense for AirPlay to work seamlessly over 1080p. The constant bandwidth isn't really there yet. To mirror iPad screens at 1080p would require a fair amount of work. I don't think Apple is trying to build a general media player that would appeal to those of us with Dunes, PCH's, etc ... . They are not catering to people collecting Blu-ray's. That is Sony and even they seem to be against making it simple for people to do that. Anyone pushing DLNA is hardly a friend of the media enthusiast.

Philip
post #1009 of 3108 Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone is interested, one of my TiVo HD's got fried recently, and over the last week or so I've been experimenting lately with WMC7 (Windows 7 Media Center), and most recently with a complementary program called MC-TVConverter. This program is reallyjust a front-end GUI to a bunch of other freeware (e.g., Handbrake). My hope is to have WMC7 record all my programming, and have this other program constantly watch the "Recorded TV" folder and automatically convert all shows to an ATV2-optimized MP4 format. Initial testing looked promising enough that I placed an order for an HDHomeRun Prime (external 3-tuner cablecard box) which is due to arrive today.

This approach won't let me stream live TV to the ATV2, and there's a not-insignificant delay for things to get transcoded. It works as follows:
1) WMC7 records the show.
2) Once the show has finished recording, MC-TVConverter begins the transcoding process. With my Intel i7-2600 desktop I can transcode a show at about twice realtime if I let it use as much of the CPU as it wants, or I can scale it back to use less CPU (which I might do if the WMC GUI seems sluggish while this is going on).
3) While the show is being transcoded to MP4, you can't start to play the MP4 file. You need to wait till the transcoding has finished.

So this means that if you record a 1/2 hour show at 8pm, you'd have to wait till about 8:45pm before you could watch it on the ATV2.

Scott R
--------------
post #1010 of 3108 Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow.....i'm surprised in a 'realistic' sense that everyone sees the 720p limit of the ATV2 as such a crutch. Ripping, storing and encoding BD content is such a costly affair on it's own. I guess some just wantwhat the want and that's that.

HD content from Netflix and h.264 encoded BD rips at 720P look good enough to me on my displays and i'm still paying the price of long encode times and 30-35gb space per rip.
post #1011 of 3108 Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywlkrsnd View Post

Has anyone else lost the ability to "Add to Queue"/"Remove from Queue" for Netflix titles? I noticed yesterday the queue button seems to have disappeared suddenly from titles on my ATV2. What gives?

Some follow up: This problem seems to have resolved itself. I didn't do anything; I didn't do any updating, I didn't reset the ATV2. Just simply went back and watched movies two days later.

I'm glad it's back to normal, but it's worrisome that functionality can just disappear like that at random.
post #1012 of 3108 Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Just in case anyone cares...I've been experimenting with Handbrake to convert my Blu-ray rips to Apple TV 2 compatible files, but I'm still in experimental state because I haven't decided whether I want to convert my movies so that they're compatible with an out-of-the-box Steve Jobs blessed ATV2, or if I want to push the limit and convert them to 1080p files which will only play on a jailbroken ATV2 using XBMC (or possibly Plex or something). Note: The ATV2 won't output 1080p, but this would still have advantages since I could have an ATV2/XBMC in several rooms of my house and a more capable device (e.g., HTPC) that can do 1080p output and have just one copy of the movie file.

Now I've also been experimenting with trying to push the envelope for PQ while still maintaining out-of-the-box compatibility. Nothing I've tried thus far has allowed me to get a 1080p file that will play smoothly on the out-of-the-box ATV2, however I can set the RF (quality) level very high (technically, the lower the number, the higher the quality) on HandBrake and still maintain out-of-the-box compatibility so long as I keep the resolution at 720p. The built-in Handbrake preset for the ATV2 uses an RF level of 20. For a typical movie, this will usually result in an output .m4v file of less than 3GB. Considering that you might start out with a Blu-ray MKV rip which is over 20GB, this is a pretty significant filesize shrink, and the PQ is usually very, very good in most scenes.

Now I have found some source material where this preset resulted in output files with some very bad "blockiness" in some scenes (e.g., the early dark cave scenes in Iron Man). This led me on an exhausting journey of experimentation to remedy that. I found that an RF setting of 12 seemed to eliminate it altogether, but that will result in a rather hefty filesize of over 10GB (I forget the actual number). And that's still just 720p resolution.

But that got me curious...would an over-10GB file play on an out-of-the-box ATV2? For some of you ATV2 nerds, you'll know that the ATV2 has 8GB of storage space which is meant to hold the movie files when you purchase a movie rental from iTunes or stream it from your network. If you start a movie and hit pause, I believe the movie will continue to download/transfer to that 8GB of storage. Once it's fully downloaded, you can fast forward, rewind, etc. all internally - no hit on your network. So what about that over-10GB file? Would it even work at all? If so, how?

Well, I can't answer the second question, but based on my testing, the answer to the first question is 'Yes.' Now I'm sure that the downside to this is that when you have a file that exceeds the internal 8GB storage buffersize, it must know that it can't store it all, so it probably acts in a more XBMC-like way of transferring just the portion of it that's near the timeline that you're watching. So if you're at the end of the movie, you can't simply jump all the way back to the beginning and expect it to start playing immediately - it will need to re-transfer/download that portion over the network.

Still, I'm happy that it worked and didn't result in a pop-up telling me that the file was incompatible. Kudos to Apple on that. Now if only they would play back 1080p MP4 files out-of-the-box...

Scott R
--------------
post #1013 of 3108 Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Go for 1080p

Your tv im sure is 1080p

What if in the near future you decide to get a new media player ,all of them are 1080p

Jailbreak the apple tv and use xbmc for 1080p videos
post #1014 of 3108 Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I hadn't played with this personally (I've still been testing different encode settings in Handbrake), but I wasn't aware that you can only assign a movie to a single genre. That sucks.

Really? I thought you could pick more than one. MetaX lets you assign multiple genres... my impression is that those movies will show up in multiple views on the ATV, as you pick different genres.

I'll have to see. First I have to figure out which of my movies (only a few, I think) have multiple genres coded in. I'll post back, unless someone else can confirm one way or the other.
post #1015 of 3108 Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go for 1080p

And loose 5.1 sound?.......that's a pretty hefty compromise no?
post #1016 of 3108 Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already have XBMC installed, but there are some things I like about the native experience (e.g., fast scrolling through lists, sleep mode, streaming movies wirelessly into the 8GB buffer - assuming you've kept the movie encode smaller than 8GB). Also sticking with a format that works on an out-of-the-box ATV2 means that it will also work on my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 and my wife's iPad 2. I could jailbreak those, too, but especially with iOS 5 just around the corner, I wouldn't want to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Huh? XBMC on the ATV2 supports 5.1 audio.

Scott R
--------------
post #1017 of 3108 Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IHuh? XBMC on the ATV2 supports 5.1 audio.

Sorry.....didn't know they corrected it.
post #1018 of 3108 Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you loose nothing when you jailbreak the ATV. All its original capabilities are still there. XBMC adds extra functionality which originally did not include DD 5.1 but now does.

Sean
post #1019 of 3108 Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow.....i'm surprised in a 'realistic' sense that everyone sees the 720p limit of the ATV2 as such a crutch. Ripping, storing and encoding BD content is such a costly affair on it's own. I guess some just wantwhat the want and that's that.

HD content from Netflix and h.264 encoded BD rips at 720P look good enough to me on my displays and i'm still paying the price of long encode times and 30-35gb space per rip.

Why surprised? different folks have different goals.

Disks are cheap. I can pick 720P from 1080P on my displays from my watching position all day long. I care more about sound than even PQ and Netflix sounds like crap. Apple VOD is not anywhere near TrueHD. To me being concerned about saving 1$ on disk space when you have many tens of thousands in HT gear in a room seems pointless. given my situation. I paid $20 for the movie. what am I going to cheap out and make it look worse. The difference in cost in disk space is not much compared to the cost of the content.

The answer lies in whats important to you. Whats important to me is being able to stream Movies with every last bit of quality that was on the original disk. period. I can barely stand to watch DVD's anymore and will not watch SD TV ever. Its my perspective.

To you, you care more about disk space, etc, etc so you make different choices.

Thats why there are so many different boxes. people have different needs.
post #1020 of 3108 Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with sean_w_smith on video and audio quality. Once you've gone HD or Blu-ray it's almost impossible to watch a DVD and you definitely notice the lousy audio quality of most of the streaming services.

There is nothing like TrueHD or DTS HDMA.

That being said, I do stream mainly from Netflix as a convenience factor. It's cool to instantly be able to watch shows such as the old Twilight Zone and Hawaii 5-O.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page