post #1081 of 3178 Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

AirPlay mirroring is spectacular. I can give presentations live in a wireless way and I don't mean prepared PowerPoint slides. You can write in real time. The only negative is you need an ATV2.

I would love to hear more about AirPlay mirroring and gaming. Is there much lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3178 Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I would love to hear more about AirPlay mirroring and gaming. Is there much lag?

It's unusable. This is not surprising since it's a touch interface.
post #1083 of 3178 Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't game. Videos are stunning. I can handwrite a document using uPad and it appears live on the TV with an ever so light lag ( you really have to look). This may imply that a game would be difficult. Might depend on the type of game.

For me AirPlay completely changes everything with respect the ATV2.

philip
post #1084 of 3178 Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my Apple TV yesterday and everything seemed to be working OK after I 1st had it all hooked up. Got the update and I could look at the new internet applications that were added. Today I can only access YouTube in the internet. It will not allow me to scroll down the list. If I move over to computers, after a few seconds it automatically moves back to the left onto YouTube. If I try to access my Library sometimes it immediately starts to play either a YouTube or one of the movies I have instead of going to the list of Music, Movies, etc.

Is my unit FUBAR?

Disappointed if it is after all the comments about how it just works.
post #1085 of 3178 Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post

Just got my Apple TV yesterday and everything seemed to be working OK after I 1st had it all hooked up. Got the update and I could look at the new internet applications that were added. Today I can only access YouTube in the internet. It will not allow me to scroll down the list. If I move over to computers, after a few seconds it automatically moves back to the left onto YouTube. If I try to access my Library sometimes it immediately starts to play either a YouTube or one of the movies I have instead of going to the list of Music, Movies, etc.

Is my unit FUBAR?

Disappointed if it is after all the comments about how it just works.

I did a factory restore and it was still messed up. Then I did a reset and everything was back to normal.

Then I had a hard time connecting to the iTunes server, but it appears the server was down for a while.

Everything appears to be good now.
post #1086 of 3178 Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same for me as i did the iOS5 update the day it was released and dowload traffic was horrible! Had to restore all of them the next morning after and all is well......and better!
post #1087 of 3178 Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else had trouble with the optical output since updating to 4.4? I updated all three of my ATV2s yesterday and the two that I run headless (optical only to a DAC, no HDMI) no longer output any audio. All I hear is hiss and quiet pops. This happens on different units hooked up to different systems.
post #1088 of 3178 Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody using eyetv commskipper to remove commercials from programs recorded with Elgato's EyeTV software?
post #1089 of 3178 Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Has anyone else had trouble with the optical output since updating to 4.4? I updated all three of my ATV2s yesterday and the two that I run headless (optical only to a DAC, no HDMI) no longer output any audio. All I hear is hiss and quiet pops. This happens on different units hooked up to different systems.

Yep. There are threads on this in several Apple forums, including apple.com.
post #1090 of 3178 Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjriffel View Post

Anybody using eyetv commskipper to remove commercials from programs recorded with Elgato's EyeTV software?

I use it with the ElGato HD box. You need the contribution version of com skip if you are dealing with H.264. Works great actually. There's a whole discussion board over at ElGato that has a thread devoted to it.

phiilp
post #1091 of 3178 Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

It's like anything else. People want the latest and greatest, & they've come to expect that from Apple(regardless of whether it's substantive or not). 720p's been out/1080p's been in for quite awhile now. Apple isn't just a niche market like back in the day. Thanks to Mr. Jobs' vision, it's grown to almost a status thing now. Anything EVEN PERCEIVED to be lesser quality won't cut it. Didn't they upgrade the 4s to 1080p from 720p?

I purchased the Apple TV a few weeks ago, mainly so I could stream iPad and iPhone video to my TV. Other than that the Apple TV doesn't really offer me much more than what I already have on my other devices except all my other devices stream video up to 1080i and with Vudu , true 1080P. I for one was a bit surprised the Apple TV is 720P. While its not the end of the world, I have to admit I was surprised --not what I would have expected from Apple in 2011. I just took it for granted when I may the purchase it would support 1080.

In the meantime I have been busy trying out the new mirroring capabilities.

LB
post #1092 of 3178 Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

The same way it works at 720P of course. There is no issue here other than bandwidth.

Hmmmm since ATV outputs 720p, I'm thinking it airplays my 1080p video from the 4s and outputs to my TV in 720p...

LB
post #1093 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Hmmmm since ATV outputs 720p, I'm thinking it airplays my 1080p video from the 4s and outputs to my TV in 720p...

no thats not how its done but whats that have to do with anything?

is there a question here?
post #1094 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no thats not how its done but whats that have to do with anything?

is there a question here?

Good morning to you too
I see on my TV that my 1080P 4S video airplayed through ATV is 720P not 1080P.

LB
post #1095 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DaverJ:

I'm still introducing myself to this new feature. However so far I am pleased. I am now able to airplay video from the browser on the iPad/iPhone to the big screen--of course the lack of flash support on iOS 5 is still an obstacle in some cases.

I haven't found any games so far that support airplay. IMO lag or airplay quality would depend more on the quality of the wireless signal and then the TV panel itself. So far I have been impressed with the video airplay quality. If anyone out there knows of a game that supports airplay pls let me know.

LB
post #1096 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good morning to you too
I see on my TV that my 1080P 4S video airplayed through ATV is 720P not 1080P.

Yes thats correct. but what you said before was not.
post #1097 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes thats correct. but what you said before was not.

No worries. I was hoping there was a way to display in 1080P. I've got a big screen so I notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Either way I am glad to have 1080P on the 4S but will be even better when I can display that 1080P on my TV via airplay ( maybe in the next ATV device some time in the future)

LB
post #1098 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries. I was hoping there was a way to display in 1080P. I've got a big screen so I notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Either way I am glad to have 1080P on the 4S but will be even better when I can display that 1080P on my TV via airplay ( maybe in the next ATV device some time in the future)

Its highly likely. Its a matter of mips/bandwidth for the most part.

Now there are quite a few things that the ATV does well that may or may not matter to you.

1. spouse loves ATV for VOD. If she wants to watch a movie, ATV Is always HER first choice. Mine is BD streamed to my one of my PCH's. WAF factor on ATV is high.

2. obvious itunes, iphoto integration.

3. it plays back the H.264 720P 60fps and 1080p 30fps video from my GoPro HD Helmet Camera better than any other player I tried (PCH, Boxee, Neo550, XBMC) FF/REW/SloMow and skipping all work better. My reference PCH C-200 hangs easily under this same plyabck condition. This is sports video so your jumping around, ff, rew, slo/mo compared to normal playback. The ATV2 nails this. Its perfect like it should be.

4. Even if you don't like iTunes you can use (Airfoil or plugins for Winamp, foobar, MediaMokney) to push audio from your PC or MAC and create a multizone AUDIO system in your house using any hetergenous combinations of PC, MAC, ATV1 or ATV2, or Airport Express. I have 8 zones of audio setup using this approach. much cheaper than logitech and sonos per zone. not as feature rich but it works very well. $99 AE or ATV2 is the cheapest audio bridge with analog and toslink on the market. $30 for airfoil and you can stream pandora, spoitfy, or anything else from your computer to multizones around your house.

5. apple keeps adding stuff, even though this product as a hobby they do evolve it but not like the next option.

6. hack it. There is world of other stuff you can do with XBMC but there are still hurdles there. There is a dedicated thread here on the subject. The nice thing is that jail breaking doesn't remove any of the other functionality of the ATV2 it just adds on menu items for XBMC and other applications.

somethings you may or may not have considered that you can use an ATV2 for.
post #1099 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Now there are quite a few things that the ATV does well that may or may not matter to you.

1. spouse loves ATV for VOD. If she wants to watch a movie, ATV Is always HER first choice. Mine is BD streamed to my one of my PCH's. WAF factor on ATV is high.

3. it plays back the H.264 720P 60fps and 1080p 30fps video from my GoPro HD Helmet Camera better than any other player I tried (PCH, Boxee, Neo550, XBMC) FF/REW/SloMow and skipping all work better. My reference PCH C-200 hangs easily under this same plyabck condition. This is sports video so your jumping around, ff, rew, slo/mo compared to normal playback. The ATV2 nails this. Its perfect like it should be.

4. Even if you don't like iTunes you can use (Airfoil or plugins for Winamp, foobar, MediaMokney) to push audio from your PC or MAC and create a multizone AUDIO system in your house using any hetergenous combinations of PC, MAC, ATV1 or ATV2, or Airport Express. I have 8 zones of audio setup using this approach. much cheaper than logitech and sonos per zone. not as feature rich but it works very well. $99 AE or ATV2 is the cheapest audio bridge with analog and toslink on the market. $30 for airfoil and you can stream pandora, spoitfy, or anything else from your computer to multizones around your house.

5. apple keeps adding stuff, even though this product as a hobby they do evolve it but not like the next option.

6. hack it. There is world of other stuff you can do with XBMC but there are still hurdles there. There is a dedicated thread here on the subject. The nice thing is that jail breaking doesn't remove any of the other functionality of the ATV2 it just adds on menu items for XBMC and other applications.

Good list.

I would also add that the ATV does an excellent job of upscaling DVD-sourced content that has been ripped with the free Handbrake software. I've converted a significant chunk of my DVD library to AppleTV's preferred format... DVDs usually take 1-2gb of space, so you can fit 100s on an $80 external USB hard drive left plugged into a computer somewhere in the house with iTunes running, and stream them all to the ATV without ever getting off your seat. (I convert BRs as well, but since that lowers them to 720p it's not ideal for "presentation-worthy" movies) It's GREAT for my wife's preferred romantic comedy DVDs, and for TV series that I have purchased on DVD. All those DVD-sourced shows, Simpsons, Family Guy, House, 90210, lots of 80s TV series, all available anytime at the touch of a button. And it works without interruption since there is no internet streaming going on, great sound and audio.

Converting Blu rays is more involved and involves a loss of quality (which matters on some movies more than others), but for DVD material, with their lower-quality 480p content, it's incredible.
post #1100 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Good list.

I would also add that the ATV does an excellent job of upscaling DVD-sourced content that has been ripped with the free Handbrake software. I've converted a significant chunk of my DVD library to AppleTV's preferred format... DVDs usually take 1-2gb of space, so you can fit 100s on an $80 external USB hard drive left plugged into a computer somewhere in the house with iTunes running, and stream them all to the ATV without ever getting off your seat. (I convert BRs as well, but since that lowers them to 720p it's not ideal for "presentation-worthy" movies) It's GREAT for my wife's preferred romantic comedy DVDs, and for TV series that I have purchased on DVD. All those DVD-sourced shows, Simpsons, Family Guy, House, 90210, lots of 80s TV series, all available anytime at the touch of a button. And it works without interruption since there is no internet streaming going on, great sound and audio.

Converting Blu rays is more involved and involves a loss of quality (which matters on some movies more than others), but for DVD material, with their lower-quality 480p content, it's incredible.

Quote:

Good to know! Right now I am trying to see what I can do with the ATV--and the above gives me some good ideas. I guess until they start building these with the new Apple/Samsung A5 chip or better--I'll be awhile before I see 1080P for the iPhone/iPad video.

My current ATV wish list for the next ATV ( other than 4S 1080P):

1. Stream Flash video or figure out how to get around the iOS 5 Flash video embargo via iPD2 or the 4s.
  2. Mirror my iMac ( this would solve #1)
  3. Down load compatible apps from the App Store.
  4. Don't change the little black hockey puck form-factor.

LB
post #1101 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know! Right now I am trying to see what I can do with the ATV--and the above gives me some good ideas. I guess until they start building these with the new Apple/Samsung A5 chip or better--I'll be awhile before I see 1080P for the iPhone/iPad video.

My current ATV wish list for the next ATV ( other than 4S 1080P):

1. Stream Flash video or figure out how to get around the iOS 5 Flash video embargo via iPD2 or the 4s.
  2. Mirror my iMac ( this would solve #1)
  3. Down load compatible apps from the App Store.
  4. Don't change the little black hockey puck form-factor.

2. is already in the works here...

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/
post #1102 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2. is already in the works here...

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

"ask and you shall receive"...can hardly wait.

LB
post #1103 of 3178 Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

most IOS solution for Flash involve jailbreaking.
post #1104 of 3178 Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

iTunes Match. Last night I downloaded an update to my ATV. ( BTW, I now realize that there is a light on the front of the ATV that indicates an update is pending) Anyway, I see that Apple included the new iTunes Match service on the ATV but it requires that you turn on the service on your computer first. Apparently Apple is still working on iTunes Match for Lion so I'll have to wait for that. In the meantime, I wonder why would I want to pay for the iTunes Match service ( $25 a year) when I can already access/sync up iTunes on any of my Lion/iOS Apple devices via the iCloud and can currently airplay my iTunes library to the ATV?

Edit:

Okay, I think I answered my own question--iTunes Match allows access to music on your HD imported from CDs or purchased from sources other than iTunes

"iTunes Match If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year."
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

LB
post #1105 of 3178 Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Liked: 13
My problem with iTunes Match is that pirate, I've already imported my CD's mostly as Apple Lossless (some 256K). For my ALAC ones, I don't need a 256K version.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #1106 of 3178 Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

iTunes Match. Last night I downloaded an update to my ATV. ( BTW, I now realize that there is a light on the front of the ATV that indicates an update is pending) Anyway, I see that Apple included the new iTunes Match service on the ATV but it requires that you turn on the service on your computer first. Apparently Apple is still working on iTunes Match for Lion so I'll have to wait for that. In the meantime, I wonder why would I want to pay for the iTunes Match service ( $25 a year) when I can already access/sync up iTunes on any of my Lion/iOS Apple devices via the iCloud and can currently airplay my iTunes library to the ATV?

Edit:

Okay, I think I answered my own question--iTunes Match allows access to music on your HD imported from CDs or purchased from sources other than iTunes

"iTunes Match If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven't purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It's built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you've imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year."
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Well--looks like Apple sent out yet another ATV update. I got two updates in 24 hrs. Last night 4.4.1 and today I got today is 4.4.2 (3160).

Other than iTunes Match that came with 4.4.1, I don't know what changes/fixes came with 4.4.2.

LB
post #1107 of 3178 Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM

AFAIK 4.4.2 is the same as 4.4.1 functionality-wise and fixes some bugs.
post #1108 of 3178 Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Apple notes that you will suffer an "inconvenience" when upgrading from 4.4 or 4.4.1.
post #1109 of 3178 Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Apple notes that you will suffer an "inconvenience" when upgrading from 4.4 or 4.4.1.

I just upgraded my ATV to 4.4 without issue. In fact this update of the last three for me was the fastest. So far so good.

LB
post #1110 of 3178 Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Whats the latest on ATV 1G
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version