Originally Posted by LBJ2
No worries. I was hoping there was a way to display in 1080P. I've got a big screen so I notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Either way I am glad to have 1080P on the 4S but will be even better when I can display that 1080P on my TV via airplay ( maybe in the next ATV device some time in the future)
Its highly likely. Its a matter of mips/bandwidth for the most part.
Now there are quite a few things that the ATV does well that may or may not matter to you.
1. spouse loves ATV for VOD. If she wants to watch a movie, ATV Is always HER first choice. Mine is BD streamed to my one of my PCH's. WAF factor on ATV is high.
2. obvious itunes, iphoto integration.
3. it plays back the H.264 720P 60fps and 1080p 30fps video from my GoPro HD Helmet Camera better than any other player I tried (PCH, Boxee, Neo550, XBMC) FF/REW/SloMow and skipping all work better. My reference PCH C-200 hangs easily under this same plyabck condition. This is sports video so your jumping around, ff, rew, slo/mo compared to normal playback. The ATV2 nails this. Its perfect like it should be.
4. Even if you don't like iTunes you can use (Airfoil or plugins for Winamp, foobar, MediaMokney) to push audio from your PC or MAC and create a multizone AUDIO system in your house using any hetergenous combinations of PC, MAC, ATV1 or ATV2, or Airport Express. I have 8 zones of audio setup using this approach. much cheaper than logitech and sonos per zone. not as feature rich but it works very well. $99 AE or ATV2 is the cheapest audio bridge with analog and toslink on the market. $30 for airfoil and you can stream pandora, spoitfy, or anything else from your computer to multizones around your house.
5. apple keeps adding stuff, even though this product as a hobby they do evolve it but not like the next option.
6. hack it. There is world of other stuff you can do with XBMC but there are still hurdles there. There is a dedicated thread here on the subject. The nice thing is that jail breaking doesn't remove any of the other functionality of the ATV2 it just adds on menu items for XBMC and other applications.
somethings you may or may not have considered that you can use an ATV2 for.