Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Not exactly, Those features all existed in XBMC before boxee or plex even existed (about 8 years now). A mac mini running XBMC will do this nicely. If you like boxee and your goal is local playback you will like XBMC more. Boxee's strength is in some social and WAN features.

most of us all control our HTPC's using IR and our universal remotes like every other AV component. I only dust off the keyboard if I want to run firefox, etc... There is extensive IR software for windows and mac if your app doesn't play nicely like XBMC.

I would recommend playing with your HTPC some more. There is a untapped potential it sounds like

Thanks, I have started to figure out that nearly all of the features I liked in Boxee are in XBMC. I just happened to install Boxee a year ago, and liked the features, so I never explored other options. Now that Boxee is nolonger being developed for the Mac (or any other OS other than Boxee hardware), I started to investigate other HTPC options. Now, I like XBMC-Eden more than I ever liked Boxee.

Still need to resolve the remote issue. I had been using the Apple remote with Boxee, and it worked well, but the Apple remote barely works with XBMC. I can access the main functions, but there are many functions I am forced to use the mouse\\keyboard.

I also would like to know how others control iTunes from within XBMC using their remote. At the moment I have to use the keyboard to switch iTunes, and then use the keyboard\\mouse with iTunes (no remote). This really does not work as a HTPC solution, so I need to figure out a way too access iTunes content through XBMC, using a remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 AM

i got my ATV2 on monday and jailbroke it using 4.4.2 firmware yesterday. it's tethered for now until 5.0 gets untethered. anyway, installing nitotv and xbmc was so easy. i use xbmc most of the time and so far the only things i don't like, but can deal with is that it can't play HD content other than mp4/mkv. i have a few HD wmv files that play, but stutters throughout. kind of a bummer.

also, i noticed a few graphical glitches with flickering in the menus. and the last thing is that the remote seems very limiting. now say i'm browsing video files and am several folders deep. if i was to get back to the main menu, i have to hit the Menu button a couple of times to get back to the root, then it goes to the main menu. if there is an easier way to get to the main menu, let me know. i might have to mess with the keymaps or something, to also access the codec info when watching a video.
post #1353 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My ATV(3,1) (or perhaps version 3.10) arrived a day early. It can't be powered by the USB port on a MacBook Pro or an iPad charger. Beyond that I know nothing.
post #1354 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeZ01 View Post

i use xbmc most of the time

The ATV-2g XBMC thread is here.
post #1355 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
@nmoble

If I were you I would get an app called Remote Buddy for your Mini. With it you will be able to manage XBMC, iTunes, etc... In fact pretty well anything. They have a free trial so you can figure it out.

I mainly use a Harmony One for all my stuff. But, the Apple silver remote works fine with XBMC. I should try the white Apple remote. The only real issue with it was how to bring up that OSD which you get with a right click. I'm sure it can be done with the white remote but it's been a while.

With Remote Buddy you can launch XBMC, quit it, launch iTunes, pause or quit or change playlist or whatever, launch Plex, Safari, even use a Wii remote. It is a fantastic utility.

Lenovo makes a backlit multimedia keyboard which is very small and has a trackmouse built in. Pretty neat actually. iOGear also has a small backlit keyboard with a built in mousestick. Both work great. I prefer the Lenovo one and you can get it on sale for around $35. The iOGear one is a bit more. Neither will work with the new ATV.

Philip
post #1356 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Got my new apple tv today (v3). Still plays music at 16/48 rather than 16/44. No support for 24/96
post #1357 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Anyone else having trouble with the Internet Radio Stations?

Yes. How annoying.
post #1358 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post

Got my new apple tv today (v3). Still plays music at 16/48 rather than 16/44. No support for 24/96

not surprised by that but oh well....

mine and the ipad look like they will be delivered friday.

I'm most interested in understanding if this thing will actually fully playback high bit rate H.264 BD rips.
post #1359 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes. How annoying.

Mine's been working great today.
post #1360 of 3111 Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine's been working great today.

Restarting it seems to have resolved the problem.
post #1361 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

As a newbie to the atv world will the new atv3 when jailbroken (xbmc):
1) play 1:1 dvd rips from folder on network?
2) play 1:1 bd rips from folder on network?
3) switch resolution/refresh rate based on source i.e. 480i29.97 for dvd / 1080p23.976p for bd / etc.?
4) bitstream all lossless formats?
5) handle the scraping by itself?
TIA

As others have mentioned, there's already a dedicated thread to the ATV2 w/XBMC, so you should ask questions there. But some wrong info was given here, so I can't help but try to correct some of that...

1) Yes
2) I don't believe XBMC supports playing Blu-ray .ISO files, but you can rip the main movie as an MKV file and the non-lossless 5.1 audio track, and play that. Another caveat is that the movie has to have been encoded as h264, because the ATV's GPU can natively decode that. I believe there are two other encoding formats sometimes used (e.g., VC-1) which will not play smoothly on the ATV2 hardware and, I suspect, won't fare much better on the ATV3.
3) I don't believe so.
4) Not sure. I don't think XBMC supports DTS-HD and I'm not sure about Dolby TrueHD, but you can probably convert them to lossless AAC. I'm not sure if the ATV2 has any other hardware limitations related to this.
5) Yes

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #1362 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

As others have mentioned, there's already a dedicated thread to the ATV2 w/XBMC, so you should ask questions there. But some wrong info was given here, so I can't help but try to correct some of that...

1) Yes
2) I don't believe XBMC supports playing Blu-ray .ISO files, but you can rip the main movie as an MKV file and the non-lossless 5.1 audio track, and play that. Another caveat is that the movie has to have been encoded as h264, because the ATV's GPU can natively decode that. I believe there are two other encoding formats sometimes used (e.g., VC-1) which will not play smoothly on the ATV2 hardware and, I suspect, won't fare much better on the ATV3.
3) I don't believe so.
4) Not sure. I don't think XBMC supports DTS-HD and I'm not sure about Dolby TrueHD, but you can probably convert them to lossless AAC. I'm not sure if the ATV2 has any other hardware limitations related to this.
5) Yes

Almost, 2 is new feature in XBMC Eden. It came from a donation of the boxee box BD ISO code. If you like how boxee works then you will like Eden. Its not full ISO support but works well enough in most cases.

4. XBMC does not bitstream yet but DOES have some decoding: Decode TrueHD upto 7.1 into 7.1 LPCM (limitation of 16 bit output at 48 Khz). There is no DTS-HD support. It will playback the 1.5Mbps Lossy DTS track and cannot decode DTS-HD into LPCM.
post #1363 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Restarting it seems to have resolved the problem.

Glad to see its working again for you. Mine took two restarts to get it going again. Strange.
post #1364 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I got my new ATV3 yesterday, my first Apple TV.

I like the unit, but unlike many I did not get it to be my media jukebox. I mostly got it for being a second netflix streamer and for the airplay capabilities.

I have a popcornhour for my media jukebox

In my house, my wife and I both have personal iDevices. We have a desktop PC that her library is on. We also have a windows home server that my library is on.

We have a whole home audio system that is connected to my theater and server-PC. In the past (prior to an ATV) I would use the remote app on my iphone to connect to the iTunes running on the server-PC which would then let me play music and control volume throughout the house wirelessly. The only shortcoming here is that only my library was accessible.

With the new ATV, via airplay, my wife and now can both access our libraries in the theater. I'd like to connect the appleTV someway to my whole home audio system (which only features analog RCA audio inputs). My AVR has the required analog audio outputs but as far as I can tell, when it's receiving audio over HDMI that it won't pass the converted signal through the output.

Does anyone know a way I can get analog audio out of the ATV3?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #1365 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Does anyone know a way I can get analog audio out of the ATV3?

I believe the standard answer is an optical to analog converter.

Here's the (typically overpriced) Gefen version.
post #1366 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice has a nice converter that is a little less. Toslink to analog converter.
post #1367 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe the standard answer is an optical to analog converter.

Here's the (typically overpriced) Gefen version.

Thanks, didn't know such devices existed. Cheaper on monoprice at $20 plus some change.

Anyone know if the ATV2(3) will do audio over HDMI and Optical simultaneously?

post #1368 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Thanks, didn't know such devices existed. Cheaper on monoprice at $20 plus some change.

Anyone know if the ATV2(3) will do audio over HDMI and Optical simultaneously?

yes it does - i use it all the time.
post #1369 of 3111 Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The monoprice one has issues with the ATV2 if you read the reviews. You might consider an alternative one. The one I bought also has issues so I wont recommend it either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

the issue is it occasionally loses sync and needs to be power cycled. 3 times in the last month to be precise.

Sean
post #1370 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The monoprice one has issues with the ATV2 if you read the reviews. You might consider an alternative one. The one I bought also has issues so I wont recommend it either.

the issue is it occasionally loses sync and needs to be power cycled. 3 times in the last month to be precise.

Sean

Thanks for the heads up, seems that others have similar problems. I have an automated 120v switching source for a Behringer sub amp so I'll just put the converter on that circuit as well.

post #1371 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sean

*knock on wood*
I've been using one of them for 6+ months without any issues ... Is the problem just with recent versions of it?
I don't remember hearing about it back when I was looking into it - that's why I'm curious.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #1372 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

*knock on wood*
I've been using one of them for 6+ months without any issues ... Is the problem just with recent versions of it?
I don't remember hearing about it back when I was looking into it - that's why I'm curious.

I've had my monoprice convertor for a year now without a hiccup.
post #1373 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had my monoprice convertor for a year now without a hiccup.

you should add a review on monoprice. There are none claiming compatibility with ATV2 and at least one saying it doesn't work.
post #1374 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you should add a review on monoprice. There are none claiming compatibility with ATV2 and at least one saying it doesn't work.

I'll have to do that because it has worked perfectly for me.
post #1375 of 3111 Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Im using a coax to optical converter from monoprice ,works great
Looks just like that too
post #1376 of 3111 Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM

For what it's worth I purchased the new ATV3 with hopes it would look good and my system and it is now getting ready to be returned to Apple. The quality was terrible but the new interface was pretty cool. This is my first Apple product that I was truly dis-appointed in. I tried two different televisions and I think the picture is much improved on smaller televisions. I have a 55" and a 22" in the bedroom. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong or ideas for picture improvement? I tried both iTunes content and previews of 1080P offerings over the net. I read on Apple support forums that some people were having poor luck running the ATV3 thru a receiver so I tried it direct to my TV and got the same results. Poor picture quality.

My system consists of the following...

AVR: Denon 2311
TV: Sony 55NX810
a
post #1377 of 3111 Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

For what it's worth I purchased the new ATV3 with hopes it would look good and my system and it is now getting ready to be returned to Apple. The quality was terrible but the new interface was pretty cool. This is my first Apple product that I was truly dis-appointed in. I tried two different televisions and I think the picture is much improved on smaller televisions. I have a 55" and a 22" in the bedroom. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong or ideas for picture improvement? I tried both iTunes content and previews of 1080P offerings over the net. I read on Apple support forums that some people were having poor luck running the ATV3 thru a receiver so I tried it direct to my TV and got the same results. Poor picture quality.

What do you mean poor picture quality? Are you sure you were playing HD content? I'm assuming you changed the display settings as well?
post #1378 of 3111 Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

My system consists of the following...

AVR: Denon 2311
TV: Sony 55NX810
a

I have the ATV2 hooked up to a 60in Pioneer Kuro with all settings on auto and the picture is fantastic. You might want to adjust the HDMI settings and see if that helps.

It could be a hardware problem as I'm using the same firmware as you although the ATV3 does have a different chip.

Jgiddyup
post #1379 of 3111 Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAoTiCpInOy View Post

What do you mean poor picture quality? Are you sure you were playing HD content? I'm assuming you changed the display settings as well?

I tried viewing the previews of available movies on iTunes that only showed 1080p. The setting for resolution was set to Auto. I also tried both of choices for the 1080p settings and nothing. Is there another section or subset menu to change resolution?

as far as picture quality goes, it was no where near 1080p. Very bad banding and it was like watchinga standard def tv channel on a HD tv set.
post #1380 of 3111 Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

as far as picture quality goes, it was no where near 1080p. Very bad banding and it was like watchinga standard def tv channel on a HD tv set.

Looks like a fair comparison to Blu-ray. I presume it would do much better compared to your typical (TV) HD.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/...y-shootout.ars
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page