Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 457Likes

post #121 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Apple TV allow you to view mkv files (DVD Rips) from your NAS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryinnv View Post

not without a potential future jailbreak.
post #123 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:

Indirectly. As long as you have iTunes running and it's mapped to your NAS. Works great with my Time Capsule via a Mac Mini. Now I believe the Apple TV doesn't support video via any of the NASs' built-in iTunes servers.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

post #124 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Does Apple TV allow you to view mkv files...

There's a link to the specifications in the second post. Supported video containers are MJPEG, mp4, and quicktime. Naturally there are further codec/resolution contraints of which 720p MPEG4 has been proven artificial.
post #125 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Indirectly. As long as you have iTunes running and it's mapped to your NAS. Works great with my Time Capsule via a Mac Mini. Now I believe the Apple TV doesn't support video via any of the NASs' built-in iTunes servers.

Indirectly? Neither iTunes nor AppleTV supports .mkv files, so it'd have to be "very very indirectly".

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #126 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Indirectly? Neither iTunes nor AppleTV supports .mkv files, so it'd have to be "very very indirectly".

Right - I confused my recent testing with the new Insignia (NS-WBRDVD2) player… it plays them locally. Although I did view Nine via my Mac Mini/Time Capsule/Apple TV.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #127 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

No. mkv isn't supported. Just change the container, but keep in mind high profile 5.1 won't load since it will think it's unsupported.

You can use Air Video to play mkv files on the iPad. Basically if mkv is what you normally play then the Apple TV is not for you. There are better players for that. I doubt Apple will ever support that container. There is a fair bit of politics involved with mkv.

The one thing that I would like to see Apple do is a support of Linux with iTunes. The iTunes clones on various NAS devices don't stream video to the current ATV unless you hack it.

If your collection is mp4, fooled mp4 (with Perian on the ATV 1G) then you can serve ATV's from any number of NAS or WHS servers via an iTunes library. I do that from a number of servers to a Mini and then to the ATV 1G. With the new ATV that won't work.

Philip
post #128 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

There's a link to the specifications in the second post. Supported video containers are avi, mp4, and quicktime. Naturally there are further codec/resolution contraints of which 720p MPEG4 has been proven artificial.

no avi supported by the appletv2
post #129 of 5318 Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post

no avi supported by the appletv2

My bad, I mistyped the motion jpeg support:
Quote:
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

post #130 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks. I recently picked up 2 aTV's when they came out, but have only opened one at the moment. I am just getting familiar with it, having never used the first aTV. One thing that was pretty important to me was having the capability to sync the same song from the itunes library to two different aTV's. I will have them set-up in two different zones of the house and connected to two different A/V receivers. Is this possible? I have read that you cannot play different songs from a single itunes source, but I was hoping that the syncing would be possible (similar to the Sonos capabilities).

Also, since this is all pretty new to me, video streaming has been a bit of a problem as I have not been able to create the right file that will stream without horrible motion artifacts (I believe is what they call it). I am using handbrake as per what others around the forum have mentioned. I have created a few versions of Monsters, Inc. in mpeg4, but although they can be imported into itunes, they look horrible streaming to my aTV (yes, my Sharp Aquos accepts 720p signal) and they look just as poor playing naitively on my iphone4. It is only when the images remain still that I might see a nice picture, but this is unbearable to watch when motion begins. The other interesting part is that I received no sound when streaming via Airport Extreme to the aTV (connected to Denon 1910 via HDMI>to Sharp tv via HDMI), however, I did get sound on my iphone4 (fyi...Handbrake did create both the 5.1 passthrough audio and stereo audio versions). I have currently used the "aTV" and "high profile" settings in Handbrake. I also tried a 3rd version were I changed the RF setting in the "high profile" version to 18 (which I have no idea what most of these tweaks would even do). This version wasn't even recognized by itunes for import. Creating these files obviously takes hours for my Dell laptop which has an older core 2 duo processor, but I will be attempting small clips from here on out so I would greatly appreciate any settings that could be posted by someone who has had success with the video piece. Although this was not my primary reason for purchase (more for music and netflix for wifey and kids), I would like the bonus ability to stream content whenever needed. Especially if I can get the video as close to HD quality as possible.

Thanks!

2-Channel: aTV>FiiO D3>Rega Elex-R>PMC 20.22's
Other Gear: Denon avr-1910, DefTech PM1000's, PC2000, UIW B/PA's, Emotiva Ultra-12, ATH-M50X

Member: E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)
post #131 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggmiami View Post

Although this was not my primary reason for purchase (more for music and netflix for wifey and kids), I would like the bonus ability to stream content whenever needed. Especially if I can get the video as close to HD quality as possible.

Thanks!

If you head over to the handbrake forums and/or the macrumours.com forums you will see links to beta profiles which will do what you want. They are still fine tuning and trying to see just what the best settings are, as well as the upper capabilities of the atv 2g. I just noticed that 720p is ok at basically any level while 1080p works but the upper bound isn't clear. Quite interesting discussions over there.

Philip
post #132 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
aggmiami, are you using one of the nightly builds or the download that's linked to from the main site? You can download the nightly builds from this page:
https://build.handbrake.fr/

Is this a standard-def DVD or a 1080p Blu-ray source file? I haven't done any conversions of standard-def content yet, but I seem to recall someone complaining somewhere about not being happy with SD content played on the new aTV (I believe he had experience with the original aTV which he was happy with), so perhaps that's a problem.

If your source is a 1080p Blu-ray rip, you should be able to get very, very good results using the High Profile setting and RF 18 (though some will say that you won't get much added quality below RF 21, but if you're already concerned about PQ, then 18 should be a good number to use).

Right now, I've got a problem with semi-infrequent stutter/judder issues, but when I'm not seeing that, I think the PQ is great standing right in front of my 52" Sharp 120Hz LCD TV, and absolutely amazing when viewed on my iPhone 4.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #133 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

If you head over to the handbrake forums and/or the macrumours.com forums you will see links to beta profiles which will do what you want.

Philip

Gotcha. I actually checked the handbrake forum as well since I had also seen it mentioned here, but honestly, most of what they discussed was currently over my head. Similar to what srauly just mentioned, I might have the wrong version b/c there were times I tried to match-up their settings and could not find them in my version. For example, one guy would have (don't quote me) b-frames=10 and when I would try going in there, mine would max out at 9!?!?!? So, I pretty much gave up since we were obviously not working with either the same version or his differed due to possibly having a Mac.

With regards to the syncing question, do you have any knowledge about that? If you are familiar with Sonos, you can play a song from a source in one zone and then choose to play that same source/song in sync across other zones.

Thx

Other Gear: Denon avr-1910, DefTech PM1000's, PC2000, UIW B/PA's, Emotiva Ultra-12, ATH-M50X

post #134 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM

[quote=srauly;19297897]aggmiami, are you using one of the nightly builds or the download that's linked to from the main site? You can download the nightly builds from this page:
https://build.handbrake.fr/QUOTE]

I will check this out as it isn't the first time I have seen "nightly builds" mentioned. I basically downloaded the version it led me to under downloads, but I'll double check later tonight.

[quote=srauly;19297897]Is this a standard-def DVD or a 1080p Blu-ray source file? I haven't done any conversions of standard-def content yet, but I seem to recall someone complaining somewhere about not being happy with SD content played on the new aTV (I believe he had experience with the original aTV which he was happy with), so perhaps that's a problem.QUOTE]

I forgot to mention, yes, it is an SD DVD version. I will eventually dive into the Blu-ray realm a soon as I get the darn SD DVD issue solved. It just seems incredibly strange that I couldn't get the DVD version up and running, especially when I have a larger selection of them. A friend of mine, who uses handbrake (but plays directly from PC connected to TV), suggested I try the "universal" settings. Hopefully someone in the handbrake forum can offer a workable solution that I will eventually understand or maybe it just has something to do with not having that "nightly build".

As I mentioned to pmcd, any help with the multiple aTV music sync would also be greatly appreciated.

Thx

post #135 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As I mentioned to pmcd, any help with the multiple aTV music sync would also be greatly appreciated

I don't believe there's any support for that. If the Apple TV ever gets official app support, then perhaps someone will make an app that can do that.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #136 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM

It seems there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

There is support for multiple zones playing the same song in sync. The feature used to be called Airtunes and now is called Airplay. They even allow you to control the volume separately at each zone. Using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch works absolutely amazing this way. Apple TVs, Airport Expresses, and computers with iTunes can all serve as Airplay clients. If you want, you can even use your iOS device as the music host and send the audio out to multiple devices so you don't even need a computer or NAS. The music comes straight from your mobile device.

At parties, using the iTunes DJ feature on any iOS device or computer you can even allow guests to cue up music and "vote" which song should play next. The music will play in all the zones you have set up. You can set up some really cool slideshows to play on your Apple TV while the music is playing or if its a music video you can just let it play the video. This is like the ultimate "whole house" audio system for a very low cost especially if you already own an iOS device.

In November, Airplay will be upgraded to allow you to stream video directly from your iOS device to the ATV even from videos on the web and 3rd party apps. There is really a whole lot more to the Apple TV than most people realize. Renting tv shows and movies are just a very small part of it. The form factor is perfect. Very small, light and portable, completely quiet, and uses less than 2 watts even playing Netflix videos.

Apple really hit the ball out of the park with this one.
post #137 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

you can play a song from a source in one zone and then choose to play that same source/song in sync across other zones.

iTunes (at least on the Mac) supports multi-unit sync ("party mode") which is selected as multiple speakers. I don't know how many units can be driven but it works with at least two + the host. This feature is also supported by AirPlay controllers based on screen shots.
post #138 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by debpub View Post

There is support for multiple zones playing the same song in sync. The feature used to be called Airtunes and now is called Airplay. They even allow you to control the volume separately at each zone. Using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch works absolutely amazing this way. Apple TVs, Airport Expresses, and computers with iTunes can all serve as Airplay clients. If you want, you can even use your iOS device as the music host and send the audio out to multiple devices so you don't even need a computer or NAS. The music comes straight from your mobile device.

At parties, using the iTunes DJ feature on any iOS device or computer you can even allow guests to cue up music and "vote" which song should play next. The music will play in all the zones you have set up. You can set up some really cool slideshows to play on your Apple TV while the music is playing or if its a music video you can just let it play the video. This is like the ultimate "whole house" audio system for a very low cost especially if you already own an iOS device.

In November, Airplay will be upgraded to allow you to stream video directly from your iOS device to the ATV even from videos on the web and 3rd party apps. There is really a whole lot more to the Apple TV than most people realize. Renting tv shows and movies are just a very small part of it. The form factor is perfect. Very small, light and portable, completely quiet, and uses less than 2 watts even playing Netflix videos.

This is great information.

I picked one up last week and absolutely love it, and I am uncovering something new everyday.

I agree with you. Apple really has another winner on their hands.

If you have any more insight, please don't hesitate to share.

David
post #139 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:

There is support for multiple zones playing the same song in sync. The feature used to be called Airtunes and now is called Airplay.

This is great to hear. I have not actually opened my second ATV2 yet, so I have not been able to test this yet. The other issue I have is that I am not in my house yet. It has been under remodel for over a year, but will be moving back in any day now. I currently have an old Yamaha amp without HDMI connections that I will use to power a few different zones around the house (dinning room/master bedroom/patio). I then have the Denon 1910 in the family room for my 7.1 set-up. My idea had initially been to look into the Sonos system until I heard about the new ATV2. I figured that the ATV2 had to be able to do the similar sync function performed by the Sonos, while still having the bonus of video/netflix/etc. Just as you mentioned in your post, I wanted music playing all around the house during a party. The additional functionalities you mentioned also sound very appealing and fun for those participating. I have actually tossed around the idea of picking up the ATV1 so that I could have a second source of music. Decisions, decisions.

post #140 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukiwhitey View Post

I picked one up last week and absolutely love it, and I am uncovering something new everyday.

Please feel free to share as well...I crave more ATV2 knowledge!

post #141 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Please help by correcting any misinformation you notice. We don't mind a little but we don't want a lot.
post #142 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There is support for multiple zones playing the same song in sync. The feature used to be called Airtunes and now is called Airplay. They even allow you to control the volume separately at each zone.

Although I don't imagine it's a serious problem for many the specific feature set depends on the version of the software you're using. Some features depend on the version of iTunes or iOS. Naturally Apple won't be supporting new features on the ATV-1g.
post #143 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I don't know what kinds of files the ATV2 can play. Once you get it into the mp4 container ( which is really easy) then can it play the usual mkv files floating around the place ( at 720p) ?

philip

Ok- I got one today- only played around with it for about 20 mins.. Played all of the stuff that I've converted for ipad/iphone flawlessly as expected.. Now ready to try a nice beefy 1080p rip and see if it chokes and/or plays the core audio or not.. Can you recommend this easy method of converting mkv to mp4 you speak of (hoping you mean not transcoding with handbrake, etc..)?
post #144 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry for the misinformation there. I'm fairly new to the Apple ecosystem, so please forgive me. I know that my Apple TV doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of settings/options to play with, so I figured it wasn't capable of doing what was requested, since I saw no obvious settings related to that.

Seeing as we're all of a sudden gushing about the new Apple TV, I think I've got some more good news to share. The stutter/judder/glitch issues I previously talked about may be related to the combination of the Apple TV's 60Hz sync rate and some of the "advanced" TV settings many TV's provide. My Sharp Aquos 120Hz LCD TV offers the following two advanced picture settings:

- Fine Motion Enhanced: Use Fine Motion Enhanced to view fast-action video more clearly.
- On: For obtaining a cleaner image. [DEFAULT]
- Off: Normal image.

- File Mode (3:2 pull-down): Automatically detects a film-based source (originally encoded at 24 frames/second), analyzes it then recreates each still film frame for high-definition picture quality.
- Advanced (High) / Advanced (Low): Select a desired level to remove jerkiness from film contents. [Low is the DEFAULT]
- Standard: Detects, analyzes, converts film source. [unavailable when Apple TV's 720p 60Hz signal is passed to TV]
- Off: Normal viewing mode.

Per a recommendation offered in another forum/thread, I turned off all of these settings, and now my test movie appears to play back nearly perfectly (it may still be slightly less than perfect compared to my Acer Revo, but I think the outstanding issues are due to the Apple TV not passing the native framerate - but at least I'm not seeing noticeable/bothersome stutters.

I may still want to test out a few alternate movies, but at this point I think I'm feeling more confident about recommending the new Apple TV to others.

-

Scott R
--------------
post #145 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagfish View Post

Ok- I got one today- only played around with it for about 20 mins.. Played all of the stuff that I've converted for ipad/iphone flawlessly as expected.. Now ready to try a nice beefy 1080p rip and see if it chokes and/or plays the core audio or not.. Can you recommend this easy method of converting mkv to mp4 you speak of (hoping you mean not transcoding with handbrake, etc..)?

Right, you want to avoid transcoding if at all possible. There are two methods at least on the Mac. Use Quicktime Pro. Open the mkv file and select Export to mpeg-4. Then click on options. Choose Pass through for video. The audio may have to be dealt with to get the AAC file depending on the original. That's it. Very fast. This is on a Mac. Not sure what happens on the PC version. The only negative to this is you might want to batch the process. No doubt it can be done but I don't know how. The other approach is to use MKVTools ( the beta version). It's a $5 program (or put up with a nagging screen at the beginning). You have the option for pass through as well ( for audio and video).

The Handbrake approach won't let you do a pass through and takes a fair amount of time.

Have a look at the ElGato Turbo h.264 HD . I have one and it works great and is very fast.

philip
post #146 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

[ ]

Very interesting information about the audio aspects. I am very interested in AirPlay. The concern I have is that it might have similar limitations to the VGA out of the iPad. Will every app that follows Apple's standard calls allow for AirPlay? Would only video via Apple's apps have AirPlay support, or will this be more universal? I assume that in the beginning "only" the Apple Video and iPod apps would work since they are on the ATV. To really make the ATV shine with it, the ATV would have to have similar apps to those on the iPad or am I misreading things.

philip
post #147 of 5318 Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Seeing as we're all of a sudden gushing about the new Apple TV, I think I've got some more good news to share. The stutter/judder/glitch issues I previously talked about may be related to the combination of the Apple TV's 60Hz sync rate and some of the "advanced" TV settings many TV's provide. My Sharp Aquos 120Hz LCD TV offers the following two advanced picture settings:

- Fine Motion Enhanced: Use Fine Motion Enhanced to view fast-action video more clearly.
- On: For obtaining a cleaner image. [DEFAULT]
- Off: Normal image.

- File Mode (3:2 pull-down): Automatically detects a film-based source (originally encoded at 24 frames/second), analyzes it then recreates each still film frame for high-definition picture quality.
- Advanced (High) / Advanced (Low): Select a desired level to remove jerkiness from film contents. [Low is the DEFAULT]
- Standard: Detects, analyzes, converts film source. [unavailable when Apple TV's 720p 60Hz signal is passed to TV]
- Off: Normal viewing mode.

Per a recommendation offered in another forum/thread, I turned off all of these settings, and now my test movie appears to play back nearly perfectly (it may still be slightly less than perfect compared to my Acer Revo, but I think the outstanding issues are due to the Apple TV not passing the native framerate - but at least I'm not seeing noticeable/bothersome stutters.

That's really great news. You mentioned there were some issues with DVD's? More specifically, SD DVD's. I am not sure what SD means anymore but would a 480p widescreen DVD be considered an SD DVD? If so then what is the problem with the playback? I play all kinds of files via Air Video on iPad and the quality is excellent.

philip
post #148 of 5318 Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Will every app that follows Apple's standard calls allow for AirPlay? Would only video via Apple's apps have AirPlay support, or will this be more universal? I assume that in the beginning "only" the Apple Video and iPod apps would work since they are on the ATV.

I've read from more than one source that any app that utilizes the standard Video playback controls should magically see the AirPlay button appear once the next version of iOS hits. Apps that *appear* to be using the standard controls include Netflix and AirVideo. Apps that currently don't include Hulu Plus and Pandora.

Quote:

You mentioned there were some issues with DVD's? More specifically, SD DVD's. I am not sure what SD means anymore but would a 480p widescreen DVD be considered an SD DVD? If so then what is the problem with the playback?

Yeah, I was basically talking about DVD sources. I have not personally converted any, so I was referring to someone else who complained somewhere (I don't remember where). If I get a chance, I'll try to convert one of my DVDs soon and report back on the results.

Scott R
--------------
post #149 of 5318 Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Very interesting information about the audio aspects. I am very interested in AirPlay. The concern I have is that it might have similar limitations to the VGA out of the iPad. Will every app that follows Apple's standard calls allow for AirPlay? Would only video via Apple's apps have AirPlay support, or will this be more universal? I assume that in the beginning "only" the Apple Video and iPod apps would work since they are on the ATV. To really make the ATV shine with it, the ATV would have to have similar apps to those on the iPad or am I misreading things.

philip

Airplay won't be like the whole VGA thing for the simple reason that developers won't have to do anything to "turn it on". It's basically a native control built into the native Video player. If the app uses the native video player to play video like the majority of third party apps out there, then Airplay will automatically work. It's just a normal control just like the volume slider, pause and play button, rewind, and etc. that are already built in. I really do think this will be revolutionary.

While everyone else is trying to figure out how to put the web and web apps on your tv screen which has failed repeatedly with mainstream consumers because of the complexities, UI problems, and practicalities involved, Apple is taking another route by putting your apps and the web on your multitouch based iPad for example which has an excellent screen and user interface for searching and browsing content.

Then once you find what you want to watch you just click a button and its on your tv screen. The iPad or iPhone itself acts as the "tv guide". This solves the whole 10 foot remote experience while opening up the doors to all the content available on the web.

I think Airplay and the new Apple TV are sort of like a trojan horse to really change the way people watch tv like how the iPhone changed how people used their mobile phones.
post #150 of 5318 Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree. I am a bit concerned about the idea of streaming video via Wi-Fi from my phone, to the router, then from the router to the Apple TV. Two wireless legs sounds like it could be asking for trouble. If I was a savvy developer working for Apple, I think a cool approach would be that when you push the button to send the video to the Apple TV, that it actually uploaded the app (or some portion of it), which then started up on the Apple TV and got whatever video it wanted to play on its own. Obviously, if you're streaming a video that truly does reside on your iOS device, it would need to stream it from there. But if you were searching for and starting up a Netflix movie from your iPhone, or a Hulu show, or using AirVideo, the app running on Apple TV could get the video from the online (or network) source, rather than needing to have it pass through the iOS device at all. Then, the iOS device would just serve as a remote control.

But perhaps I'm worrying too much and the playback will be flawless. Another approach that they might use (assuming it's possible), to at least remove one leg in the journey, would be for the iOS device to stream *directly* to the Apple TV via Wi-Fi (i.e., not have to travel through your wireless router).

I also wonder how multitasking will work on your iOS device while you're watching something streaming through it. If I get a call, does the movie have to stop? I guess we'll know the answer to that in about a month.

In other news, I got an email newsletter from Apple yesterday informing me that Iron Man 2 in HD was now available to rent. Not sure what happened with that, since it was demoed during Jobs' keynote but then ended up not being available for rent day-and-date with the disc. But apparently it got a week delay, which seems a bit abnormal (usually these delays are more like a month).

The newsletter also indicated that iTunes now had Food network shows available for purchase. I took a look and they're only available for purchase, not rental, not all shows are covered, and they're only in SD. Still, it's nice to see them there. The Food network is one of the channels that my wife considers a must-have, and asks about whenever I bring up the subject of cutting cable.

That said, even if they had all the shows, and all available for rent, I'm not sure if I'm on board with the idea of paying 99 cents per show for anything I want to watch. I know that everyone hates advertising, but I personally would happily live with a model which involves getting my shows for free or a cheap monthly cost (e.g., $10), getting to see pretty much every show I want, even with a 24 hour delay on when it becomes available, and being forced to watch a couple of commercials. My only other requirement would be that I'd want them to be HD (720p).

Scott R
--------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page