Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3178 Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

The DACMagic seems like an interesting device, it supposedly takes the harshness out of a digital signal although I've never seen or heard one. Will it improve the sound over just inputting the ATV3 into the Emotiva via HDMI? You will have to be the judge on that.

Perhaps you are over-estimating the quality of Youtube audio. According to Wikipedia the highest audio bit rate used is 192 kbps although many are less than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Quality_and_codecs
Thanks for the reply
I'll compare them both with the DAC and without to see if I listen to any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3178 Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What was the update that I did this morning on both my Apple TVs

Main System
Fronts RB 81 II BLK
Cener RC 52 II BLK
Rears RB 61 II CHERRY (going to be replaced with a black set)
Subwoofer SW112 BLK
SR 5006
MM7025
LG 55 LED 120HZ BDPS590 ipad 2 remote
Bedroom RB 41 II BLK/ TXSR 607 / TCL32X1 / BDPS370 / Apple TV 2 wife ipad3 remote
post #2343 of 3178 Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by e84cooper View Post

Probably the one that added iTunes Radio, and the ability to share content from another person's iTunes/iCloud account on your Apple TV.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #2344 of 3178 Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by e84cooper View Post

I think it also included an update that fixed whatever was causing some peoples ATV's to shut down.
post #2345 of 3178 Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Hello all,

Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I've searched and read a few posts on this topic, but would appreciate any input you might want to supply. I am using an Apple TV as my streaming music source, reading files from my local PC. Or, it will access cloud copies of my iTunes library through iMatch. I'm outputting to a Beresford Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 DAC and playing through AKG K702 headphones. The folks at Art of Sound .net say that this is grossly inferior to a Squeezbox or other, since it (1) won't play high definition files, and (2) upsamples to 48kHz.

I wanted to see if the hardware would make a noticeable difference, so after considerable farting around with the DLNA server, I got the Sony Blueray Disk Player streaming audio from my PC. I did an A/B comparison in real time between the ATV and the BDP, using Walter Becker's Surf and/or Die (11 Tracks of Whack), 256 Kbps, 44.1Khz, AAC format as the test file. To my untrained ears, I could not distinguish the two streams, at least to no significant difference.

Yes, this was one example of a song played on a lossy format, but I would have thought that if the ATV was affecting the sound quality, I could have heard some difference. Not to mention that the Sony was significantly slow in loading up the files (I suppose an effect of the server software). At this point, I'd like to have an Oppo player, but that's going to have to wait. ATV it will be...

I have experienced the ATV as providing great sound; of course, I may just not be audiophile enough. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

John
post #2346 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Newbie question - I'm getting an ATV, would you recommend getting a Bluetooth keyboard as well ?...I only have an iphone that I would use for any search and/or keyboard functions.

Think before you speak....
post #2347 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Only if you have other uses for the keyboard. There is not a whole lot of need for data entry on the Apple TV unless you anticipate a lot of searching. One time userids and pw.
post #2348 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Only if you have other uses for the keyboard. There is not a whole lot of need for data entry on the Apple TV unless you anticipate a lot of searching. One time userids and pw.

Well ....like searching for content on Netflix or in iTunes ?

post #2349 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post

Well ....like searching for content on Netflix or in iTunes ?

Well yes if you do a lot. I have a keyboard paired but never use it. I find it a lot more useful on the iPad.
post #2350 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Ok, thanks for the input

post #2351 of 3178 Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlever View Post

Hello all,

Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I've searched and read a few posts on this topic, but would appreciate any input you might want to supply. I am using an Apple TV as my streaming music source, reading files from my local PC. Or, it will access cloud copies of my iTunes library through iMatch. I'm outputting to a Beresford Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 DAC and playing through AKG K702 headphones. The folks at Art of Sound .net say that this is grossly inferior to a Squeezbox or other, since it (1) won't play high definition files, and (2) upsamples to 48kHz.

I wanted to see if the hardware would make a noticeable difference, so after considerable farting around with the DLNA server, I got the Sony Blueray Disk Player streaming audio from my PC. I did an A/B comparison in real time between the ATV and the BDP, using Walter Becker's Surf and/or Die (11 Tracks of Whack), 256 Kbps, 44.1Khz, AAC format as the test file. To my untrained ears, I could not distinguish the two streams, at least to no significant difference.

Yes, this was one example of a song played on a lossy format, but I would have thought that if the ATV was affecting the sound quality, I could have heard some difference. Not to mention that the Sony was significantly slow in loading up the files (I suppose an effect of the server software). At this point, I'd like to have an Oppo player, but that's going to have to wait. ATV it will be...

I have experienced the ATV as providing great sound; of course, I may just not be audiophile enough. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

John

While some may claim to hear an audible difference for hi res audio, I as of yet cannot. I have been impressed with remastered works at 24/96, but again it's not the bit rate but the remastering that improved the quality. As to the upsampling of 44.1 to 48, that may be relevant. I have extensively AB'd my bit perfect Airport express against my ATV3 using optical for both. I have found on some material, I prefer the Airport which seems to be a bit smoother or more analogue like.....purely subjective of course so your experience may be different. There's plenty of inexpensive used 2nd gen Airports on Ebay might be worth checking out.
post #2352 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've been wanting to get one of these, but I see Apple has scheduled an October 22nd event to announce new iPads. I'm wondering if they will also announce a new Apple TV device. They did at this type of thing last year.

I have seen some rumours that it will include Wireless AC(not that I use wireless) but have seen little else about what it might include. Anyone hear anything else that might be on the next version?

I think I may hold off on the purchase, until the 22nd to see if they have anything new coming out.
post #2353 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The one thing I want Apple to do, is to support Plex.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #2354 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
I am a longtime iTunes hater and iPhone fan. I have tried almost every readily available network media player available. The most recent ones still in use are a couple WD TV Lives and a Pivos Xios DS. These like every other before them they have failed to deliver a decent user experience. The WD TV Lives play almost any video file I throw their way mush the music interface sucks and they stutter on many high bitrate rips. The Pivos started out great running XBMC but lately support has fallen off and we are left with devices that do not work very well. Long story short I am fed up and thinking about going all in with Apple. To see for myself if their " it just works" spiel is for real. I bought an Apple TV the other day and so far with music and home sharing it does everything it says it will. I am now looking at the video side and need some direction.

Is there a tutorial or software package out there that will take an x.264 encoded Bluray rip that contains the original lossless audio track and remux it into .m4v and add an ATV compatible audio track while leaving the original alone? I do not want to lose the lossless audio if possible so if and when the day arrives that one of these players supports it I can use it.

The remuxing video part appears to be straight forward with a number of programs. I can't get my head around how to handle the stereo + AAC or AC3 + DTS-MA. I am -><- close to saying screw it and building HTPCs for each TV but again, I am looking for so simple the babysitters can use it once I show them the harmony remote.

- Eric
post #2355 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The Popcorn Hour A-400 plays Blu-ray rips just fine with a great interface. Beats jumping through all those remux hoops you're talking about to me anyway.
post #2356 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 PM

For $300 a pop it better. I am leary of the popcorn hour stuff mostly because I have not seen it in person, it is expensive and I can't walk into a local store to buy one or return it if it doesn't meet expectations.

I am leaning toward the ATV for more than just movie viewing, though. I am looking for "one device to rule them all" so to speak. Airplay/Music/Movies/etc it is all very appealing even to me who at one time would've probably been considered an Apple hater. As I get older and the kids deserve more of my time I have less time and interest in tinkering with this stuff. I can set-up a batch re-mux and go to bed in the morning all of the movies should be done. I just need some direction for what settings I should be using in Handbrake, MakeMKV, etc...

Admittedly I haven't tried anything yet and it may become obvious once I actually try a file.

I still hate Macs.... smile.gif

- Eric
post #2357 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustang View Post

For $300 a pop it better.

It does and it's returnable but no matter to me. wink.gif

Oh and good luck with the "one device to rule them all" thing. That's why people who have Apple TV also have Roku, and Popcorn Hour, and...
post #2358 of 3178 Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking for some help somI'm posting here also. So my ATV3 has been working perfectly since February. A day ago I went to use it and it has dropped the ethernet connection. I do have it connected to an ethernet switch and did upgrade to 6.0 and things have been fine till this. I tried reset, restore several times. Tried micro usb to iTunes restore several times and no matter what it won't stay connected to ethernet. It won't connect to iTunes store or the server. Can't get Home Sharing to work either. Hooked up to my wireless network and everything works perfectly. But the really strange thing is that when I connect it directly to my router, the wired connection is back working perfectly. The minute I connected it back to the switch, ethernet drops. Tried swapping cable connections from the Roku and Oppo that are connected to that switch and work perfectly, they won't work with the ATV3. Tried brand new, never opened ethernet cable. won't work. Tried three different switches and same results. All the other units and cables work with the switches, but not the ATV3. So now I do have it connected to wireless but now when I try and Airplay, it won't mirror. I have a new switch on it way to see if that could possible help. It hasn't been a year so should I just take it back and hopefully get a new one, just live with the wireless only or are there any experts here that have any ideas what this may be. Thanks so much for any help.

post #2359 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am leaning toward the ATV for more than just movie viewing, though. I am looking for "one device to rule them all" so to speak.

You're not gonna find it. It just isn't out there yet. Boxee had the right idea, but they had terrible coders and company behind it that just couldn't/wouldn't get things done(it's now sold off to Samsung) The closest at this point is probably the WDTV Live devices as it can handle streaming local media pretty well(although restricted to core DTS only) and has a decent interface, along with an ok collection of online apps(but it lacks Amazon and quite a few others).

My ideal device would be combine the Apple TV's Airplay with Roku's app selection and Boxee's handling of local media(without the audio dropouts).

On my one TV now, I have a Roku, WD Live SMP and am looking to add an Apple TV(waiting to see of they have new hardware in store come 10/22).
post #2360 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Looking for some help somI'm posting here also...

It sounds to me like the ethernet port is dead or dying. It happens. If it is still under warranty take it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

You're not gonna find it. It just isn't out there yet.

I am coming to that realization. frown.gif My priorities:

1. Music - Around the house, portable, easy. This is where the WD TV Live struggles and Apple TV shines. The native music interface sucks and outside of DLNA there isn't a good way to use playlists.
2. Movies - Locally stored. Currently this is where WD TV Live stomps the ATV, it plays almost everything BUT if I start using iTunes for my music there isn't any reason I can't remux movies to be compatible. I'd love to have DTS-MA pass-through but none of the inexpensive boxes do that.
3. Movies - Streamed, Ideally Amazon Prime...
4. Inexpensive - ~$100/ea. If I get to the $300 ballpark (Popcorn Hour A-400) I'd rather build HTPCs and be able to do anything and everything. Maintaining all the HTPCs does not sound appealing right now.
99. Apps/Channels - We just don't use them. Right now we have cable and will for the foreseeable future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

(waiting to see of they have new hardware in store come 10/22).

I am doing the same. The ATV I have now was an impulse buy and the store has a 14 day return policy which puts me at 10/21 smile.gif

XMedia Recode remuxed an mkv with AAC 2.0, AC3 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. However iTunes wouldn't allow me to import it until I removed the DTS track. I am hoping to try it with a DTS-MA track this weekend.

- Eric
post #2361 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Going the Apple route sounds ridiculous 68rustang, have you even considered a Plex server and a Roku?

I think it will be hard to beat when you compare it to codecs/containers vs Apple.

it may support your format out of the box and if not it will transcode. plenty of apps to install on Roku too.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/music/by-popular

And if not Roku there are a few plex clients.
post #2362 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM

I actually purchased roku3 at the same time as the ATV but returned it since it wouldn't play over the LAN and my current Atom based WHS isn't capable of acting as a PLEX server. If I can't get the ATV to do what I want I will take a closer look. I really like the home sharing and remote control aspect of the Apple ecosystem.

Another weekend project is seeing if i can get PLEXConnect working on the ATV. If I can then I get the best of both worlds.

- Eric
post #2363 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

It sounds to me like the ethernet port is dead or dying. It happens. If it is still under warranty take it back.

But the Ethernet connection works when I connect the ATV3 directly to the router. Every time. It only doesn't hold the connection when I use an Ethernet switch, which I have to do since I'm using it in my living room setup. Both the Roku and Oppo blu-ray player in my setup work when connected to the same switch. The ATV3 won't which is the weird part.

post #2364 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Started a thread about this but not getting any help with it. Since I want to incorporate an ATV soon anyway, figured I'd post here too...

Looking for suggestions for storing my iTunes library that will automatically update with purchases I make. I'd like to play my library without having to have my computer on to do so as well as control it through my iPhone. Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #2365 of 3178 Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 17
I thought any purchases from iTunes would stream to Apple TV. That is what I am currently doing with my purchases, though I have to turn on iTunes to stream music I have ripped from CD's to the Apple TV. The computer is always on and leave iTunes open much of the time as well.
post #2366 of 3178 Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I am a longtime iTunes hater and iPhone fan. I have tried almost every readily available network media player available. The most recent ones still in use are a couple WD TV Lives and a Pivos Xios DS. These like every other before them they have failed to deliver a decent user experience. The WD TV Lives play almost any video file I throw their way mush the music interface sucks and they stutter on many high bitrate rips. The Pivos started out great running XBMC but lately support has fallen off and we are left with devices that do not work very well. Long story short I am fed up and thinking about going all in with Apple. To see for myself if their " it just works" spiel is for real. I bought an Apple TV the other day and so far with music and home sharing it does everything it says it will. I am now looking at the video side and need some direction.

Is there a tutorial or software package out there that will take an x.264 encoded Bluray rip that contains the original lossless audio track and remux it into .m4v and add an ATV compatible audio track while leaving the original alone? I do not want to lose the lossless audio if possible so if and when the day arrives that one of these players supports it I can use it.

The remuxing video part appears to be straight forward with a number of programs. I can't get my head around how to handle the stereo + AAC or AC3 + DTS-MA. I am -><- close to saying screw it and building HTPCs for each TV but again, I am looking for so simple the babysitters can use it once I show them the harmony remote.

I went "all in" with iTunes and AppleTVs for all my secondary TVs because it does "just work" for the wife and kids. One TV has a low cost surround setup ($250 6 speaker set) and the other uses TV speakers. I gave up on having ONE shared library with Bluray full quality rips (video and sound) for all TVs. I just couldn't find a good inexpensive device ($100) for all TVs that can play Bluray rips reliably (but the WDTV Live does come close with .m2ts files). My HTPC hooked up to a projector is setup to play my full Bluray rips, but my Mac mini serves up iTunes compatible files ripped with the Handbrake High Profile setting (2 channel AAC track and a 5.1 channel AC3 track). I tune the quality (RF) to get about a 5GB file for a 1080p Bluray and a 1.5GB file for a 480p DVD. While a pain to convert all your movie content to this format, I feel it's worth my time because they will now play on anything (AppleTVs, iPhone, iPad, WDTV, Android Devices, etc). I especially like how iTunes provides this content to all my iDevices with native apps. Everyone in my family can easily play any file on any device without my help. Most DVD rips using this format will play on my first generation Droid phone! While .M4V is considered an Apple format, I consider it the best universally playable format (with limitations). I've played with Plex and it's a great solution for a non Apple centric household since it has native apps for lot's of devices including TVs. A Samsung TV with built-in Plex and Netflix apps is very attractive since you don't need another $100 box for your movies.

I don't think Handbrake can include a DTS-MA track in a M4V file, but it can include the DTS core track. iTunes will play it if you include the iTunes audio tracks first (AAC/AC3). I just did a quick test with the first chapter from my Avatar Bluray.

Tim
post #2367 of 3178 Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

I went "all in" with iTunes and AppleTVs for all my secondary TVs because it does "just work" for the wife and kids. One TV has a low cost surround setup ($250 6 speaker set) and the other uses TV speakers. I gave up on having ONE shared library with Bluray full quality rips (video and sound) for all TVs. I just couldn't find a good inexpensive device ($100) for all TVs that can play Bluray rips reliably (but the WDTV Live does come close with .m2ts files). My HTPC hooked up to a projector is setup to play my full Bluray rips, but my Mac mini serves up iTunes compatible files ripped with the Handbrake High Profile setting (2 channel AAC track and a 5.1 channel AC3 track). I tune the quality (RF) to get about a 5GB file for a 1080p Bluray and a 1.5GB file for a 480p DVD. While a pain to convert all your movie content to this format, I feel it's worth my time because they will now play on anything (AppleTVs, iPhone, iPad, WDTV, Android Devices, etc). I especially like how iTunes provides this content to all my iDevices with native apps. Everyone in my family can easily play any file on any device without my help. Most DVD rips using this format will play on my first generation Droid phone! While .M4V is considered an Apple format, I consider it the best universally playable format (with limitations). I've played with Plex and it's a great solution for a non Apple centric household since it has native apps for lot's of devices including TVs. A Samsung TV with built-in Plex and Netflix apps is very attractive since you don't need another $100 box for your movies.

I don't think Handbrake can include a DTS-MA track in a M4V file, but it can include the DTS core track. iTunes will play it if you include the iTunes audio tracks first (AAC/AC3). I just did a quick test with the first chapter from my Avatar Bluray.

Tim

Tim, could you please go into some detail on the steps/settings
That you use on handbrake to get the surround mode to play on
The ATV3. Ie DTS or Dolby Digital. Every time I do it I just get the
2 channel track from MKV movies.
post #2368 of 3178 Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Tim, could you please go into some detail on the steps/settings
That you use on handbrake to get the surround mode to play on
The ATV3. Ie DTS or Dolby Digital. Every time I do it I just get the
2 channel track from MKV movies.

Here is my Handbrake workflow on Mac OS X (Windows should be similar):

Start Handbrake (0.9.9)
Select your source (ripped Bluray or DVD directory with copy protection removed)
Select the "Regular -> High Profile" preset (I do not use the Apple specific presets)

Video Settings:
1. Set the RF in the main window 'Video' tab:
(The lower the number the better the quality, but some say a RF less than 18-20 only results in a bigger file with a minimal increase in quality)
a. For DVDs I start with a RF of 18. I do change it to 20 or 22 if the final encoded file is big (>2GB). I've had some that have exceeded 1080p encoded file sizes!
b. For Bluray I start with a RF of 22. I may go to 24 for long movies. Sometimes I go to 20 for Animated Bluray movies, because they seem have smaller file sizes.
2. Set "Picture Settings - > Filters -> Decomb = Off" for progressive movies. Leave it on for interlaced content. I don't think it causes any harm to leave it on for progressive movies, but I don't take a chance.
3. If you want to create a SD (480p) file from a 1080p Bluray rip, set "Picture Settings -> Size -> Width = 720". The Height is automatically adjusted.

Audio Settings:
Select the main window 'Audio' tab:
Handbrake usually defaults to two audio tracks with the High Profile:
1. Codec = AAC (CoreAudio), Mixdown = Dolby Pro Logic II, Samplerate = Auto, Bitrate = 160
2a. Codec = AC3 (ffmpeg), Mixdown = 5.1 channels, Samplerate = Auto, Bitrate = 640 (For DTS / DTS MA sources you should convert to AC3 for compatibility with most devices)
OR
2b. Codec = AC3 Passthru, Mixdown = None, Samplerate = Auto, Bitrate = (greyed out) (For AC3 / TrueHD sources)
You need to ensure that the correct source audio track is selected for each of the above. Since I typically only rip the main english audio track, Handbrake always gets this correct for me. As I said in my previous post, I was able to add a third DTS audio track:
3. Codec = DTS Passthru, Mixdown = None , Samplerate = Auto, Bitrate = (greyed out)

Only the Universal, AppleTV (1,2,3), and the High Profile presets default to a second AC3 surround audio track. All others only default to one AAC audio track.

Hit 'Start'. Everything else is the default for the High Profile.

If you have some really old devices (older iPod Touches, etc) you may want to use the Normal Profile preset. Unfortunately, you must experiment with the presets to determine if they work with all your devices. I've found that the High Profile preset works with most devices, but you can run across some old stuff (like old iPod Touches) that can't do x264 Level 4.1.

Tim
68rustang likes this.
post #2369 of 3178 Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Also in handbrake... For subtitles- click on the subtitles tab and select "foreign audio search". Has worked every time for me.
post #2370 of 3178 Old 10-13-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 152
^^^^^^Thanks Tim & Den, I appreciate it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page