Apple TV owners' thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3178 Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm not sure there's enough interest about ATV/ATV owners but I'm starting a thread anyway. Since I have a old diskful ATV and a new diskless (Apple TV 2nd Gen or 2,1) box on order I'm up for talking about both versions.

Note that I try to avoid calling the diskless version ATV2 since that term was used to descibe the old ATV after the last major software update. Apple seems to have settled on ATV-1g and ATV-2g so that's what I'll type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3178 Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those interested in alternate software:
XBMC on ATV(2,1)

Apple has posted some ATV2g documents but not off the main support page (support/appletv). All four documents are here.

Sep 2010 Version (MC572LL/A, (2,1) or 2g) tech specs and iFixit teardown.

Mar 2012 Version (MD199LL/A, (3,1) or 3g) tech specs and iFixit teardown.

ATV-1g discussion in the Apple forums.

ATV-2g discussion in the Apple forums.

Apple doesn't often talk about the Apple TV but they issued a press release on 21-Dec-2010 about breaking the million unit barrier at the end of 2010.

Erica Sadun has taken a pleasantly technical first look at the firmware which has already been posted (Apple calls large code libraries Frameworks).

Tim Cook disclosed that the Apple TV and related iTunes sales were over $1 billion in 2013. “It’s a little more difficult to call it a hobby these days”

Awkward TV Wiki

New Apple TV thread in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115

iClarified fimware list.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV: for factory reset that covers using iTunes.

Release versions below are reported for an ATV3,1.

Software version 4.1 was released on 22-Nov-2010. Adds AirPlay video, VoiceOver and various fixes and tweaks. iLounge has a nice summary article.
Software release notes can currently be found in article HT4448.
Software Version 4.1.1 / OS Build Version 4.2.1(8C154) was released on 14-Dec-2010 with no fanfare.
Software Version 4.2 (2060) / OS Build Version 4.3 (8F191m) was released on 11-Mar-2011. Apple posted an upudate article here.
Software Version 4.2.1 (2100) / OS Build Version 4.3 (8F202) was released on 22-Mar-2011. This appears to be a small patch for a video problem in 8F191m.
Software Version 4.2.2 (2203) / OS Build Version 4.3 (8F305) was released on 11-May-2011. The release notes have six bug fixes.
Software Version 4.3 (2557) / OS Build Version 4.3 (8F455) was released on 1-Aug-2011. The release has a What's New splash screen with iTunes TV Shows and Vimeo updates. Purchased is added to the TV Shows tab and Vimeo is added to the Internet tab.
Software Version 4.4 (3140) / OS Build Version 5.0 (9A334v) was released on 12-Oct-2011. This release supports the myriad iOS 5 features like Photostream and adds NHL and the Wall Street Journal to the Internet resources.
Software Version 4.4.1 was released intermittently near the end of Oct-2011.
Software Version 4.4.2 (3160) / OS Build Version 5.0 (9A336a) was released on 2-Nov-2011. The release "Addresses an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete the update."
Software Version 4.4.3 (3323)/ OS Build Version 5.0.1 (9A405I) was released on 17-Nov-2011. Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.
Software Version 4.4.4 (3330)/ OS Build Version 5.0.1 (9A406a) was released on 15-Dec-2011. "Apple TV software version 4.4.4 includes general performance and stability improvements"

Apple TV Software (new nomenclature) 5.0 (4099) / OS Build Version 5.1 (9B179b(2,1), 9B179b(3,1)) was released on 7-Mar-2012. Apple highlights five new features: 1) New, more iOS like interface, 2) Movies stored in iCloud, 3) "Genius" purchase recommendations, 4) HD screen-saver images, 5) On-device sign-up and purchase with some providers e.g. Netflix.

Apple TV Software 5.0.1 (4224) / OS Build Version 5.1.1 (9B206f) was released on 10-May-2012. It includes one new feature (HD previews) and four areas of fixes.

Apple TV Software 5.0.2 (4250) / OS Build Version 5.1.1 (9B830) was released on 5-June-2012. It fixes a bug in content restrictions in the Australian iTunes store.

Apple TV Software 5.1 (5201) / OS Build Version 6.0 (10A406e) was released on 24-September-2012. It adds multiple new features described in HT4448.

Apple TV Software 5.1.1 (5433) / OS Build Version 6.0.1 (10A831) was released on 29-November-2012. It adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.

Apple TV Software 5.2 (6020.96) / OS Build Version 6.1 (10B144b) was released on 28-January-2013. It adds iTunes in the Cloud, Bluetooth keyboard and AirPlay audio for videos.

Apple TV Software 5.2.1 (6025) / OS Build Version 6.1.3 (10B329a) was released on 19-March-2013. It replaces the Hulu interface.

Apple TV Software 5.3 (6105) / OS Build Version 6.1.4 (10B809) was released on 19-June-2013. Adds support for HBO GO, ESPN, Sky News, Qello, and Crunchyroll.

Apple TV Software 6.0 (6646.65) / OS Build Version 7.0.1 (11A470e) was released on 19-Sep-2013. iTunes Radio, iCloud Photos, AirPlay from iCloud, Conference Room Display, Automatic Software Update, Setup - use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 to automatically transfer network settings, your Apple ID, and language preferences. Not available on iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Reviewed by MacWorld who report a 15 minute update.

Apple TV Software 6.0 (6646.65) / OS Build Version 7.0.2 (11A502) was released on 23-Sep-2013. Presumably this releases fixes the update issues with 7.0.1.

Apple TV Software 6.0.1 / OS Build Version 7.0.3 was released on 24-Oct-2013. Includes general performance and stability improvements.

Apple TV Software 6.0.2 / OS Build Version 7.0.4 was released on 14-Nov-2013. Includes general performance and stability improvements.

Apple TV Software 6.0.2 (6646.81.1) / OS Build Version 7.0.6 (11B651) was released on 21-Feb-2014. iOS security update.

Apple TV Software 6.1(6698.99.16) / OS Build Version 7.1 (11D169b) was released on 10-Mar-2014. Changes in Main menu, AirPlay, Remote app and general performance and stability improvements.

Apple TV Software 6.1.1(6698.99.18) / OS Build Version 7.1.1 (11D201c) was released on 22-Apr-2014. Includes general performance and stability improvements.

Apple TV Software 6.2(6698.99.50.31) / OS Build Version 7.1.2 (11D257c) was released on 30-Jun-2014. Includes general performance and stability improvements.

Apple TV Software Update 6.2.1—Apple TV 2nd generation only. Stability and performance

Apple TV Software Update 7.0 (6897.5) / OS Build Version 8.0 (12A365b) was released on 17-Sep-2014. Includes New 'Flat Look', Beats Music, Family Sharing, Ask to Buy. Peer to peer AirPlay (only for the ATV3.2). This release is for the Apple TV 3rd generation (1080p) only.

Last edited by bodosom; 09-25-2014 at 05:53 AM.
post #3 of 3178 Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 752
When is BestBuy supposed to have the ATV in stock? I've gone over four decades without owning an Apple product. And amazingly, the ATV might be the first Apple product I buy.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 3178 Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When is BestBuy supposed to have the ATV in stock?

Seems to be the question of the day however I expect a delay since they haven't made the fuss they made over the old ATV. I suppose they could be worried about scheduling difficulties with the introduction of the Revue but that seems a bit odd (to me).
post #5 of 3178 Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My order is now "Prepared for Shipment". It seems likely that Apple will make the initial shipping estimate even though delivery dates seem quite variable.
I now have an estimated delivery date of 1-Oct and the parcel is in Hong Kong.
post #6 of 3178 Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When is BestBuy supposed to have the ATV in stock? I've gone over four decades without owning an Apple product. And amazingly, the ATV might be the first Apple product I buy.

This should be interesting

Philip
post #7 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm reposting several things from other threads here, so that those of us who actually have an honest appreciation for what the new aTV brings to the table can have an intelligent discussion about it.

Here are a few new links for anyone interested. Spoiler alert: None of these seem to contain any significant info that we didn't already know...

* A review by Fox news' Clayton Morris:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ve-jobs-hobby/
There *is* a very positive bit of new info (if true) in the article. It states:
Quote:

Apple told me the company has opened [AirPlay] to third-party developers, and that's where my imagination runs wild.

* A review by PC Mag's Tim Gideon. This one's only slightly better. Based on some of the wording used, he gives the impression that he actually used it, but it's completely devoid of any specifics (e.g., how long it took for a Netflix movie to start, how the PQ compared to other Netflix devices). I'm guessing that what he actually got was a personal hands-on demonstration by an Apple rep. I'll give him positive points for expressing something which I pointed out (I believe in the other aTV thread in this forum), which is that the smart way to rent movies/shows seems to be to purchase them on your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and then stream them to your aTV, because if you purchase them on your aTV you can't move them to your portable device (or watch them on a different aTV in your house):
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369826,00.asp

* Apple has the user manual online now:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...etup_Guide.pdf

I read the whole thing. In typical Apple fashion, it's super-short with no screenshots, and doesn't cover every possible menu option. In fact, it's more of a set-up/troubleshooting guide, really. So no real revelations here. But one statement which might be of concern to some people is on page 28 (in the troubleshooting section) where if someone's TV screen appears fuzzy or black, it states, "Make sure your HDTV supports 720p video." This would suggest that the new aTV is not capable of upscaling 720p to 1080p, so you'll have to let your TV do that. This would also suggest that it won't display photos in anything above 720p, which seems especially lame, IMO.

Now let's talk about apps. I expect them to come, but I'm actually starting to rethink the whole concept. I'm not so certain that we're going to see an aTV app store. I suspect that Apple will enhance the aTV and add new functionality to it over time. Perhaps we'll see Hulu Plus or Pandora added. That's hard to say, because on the one hand they offer services that compete with iTunes TV and music rentals, but then Apple is partnering with Netflix and that competes with iTunes movie rentals, so who knows. And maybe Apple will add in a way to see your local weather and even some local news.

But apps that you download which are optimized for the TV? While I was thinking they'd go that route, here's an alternative which could happen instead: You download/store your aTV-capable apps on your iPod/iPhone/iPad instead. Maybe these will be games which you're already playing on your iPhone. The developer later comes out with a new version with aTV capabilities. Maybe you when you say that you want to play it on your aTV, the app gets uploaded to the aTV's limited storage space, displays on screen, and your iPhone's display changes so as to just display just use your iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller. Or maybe the app runs on the iPhone/iPod Touch with its own full UI and display, but streams other stuff to the aTV display. The common theme here, though, is that you're not downloading the apps via an aTV store, rather you're downloading iOS apps onto your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad which just happen to have an aTV component. The aTV component may be the *main* component for some of these apps, but you'll still need a portable iOS device. This is actually great cross-pollenation. More of the existing iOS device owners will want to buy an aTV for this added functionality, while some aTV owners who don't currently own an iOS device will buy one as a result.

As pcmd has stated before, I think the AirPlay thing (combined with the huge userbase of iOS-device owners and huge library of iOS apps) has the potential to really make the aTV a must-have device when compared to other streamers. If Apple allows 3rd party devs to add AirPlay support to their apps, it won't matter as much if the aTV itself doesn't have Hulu Plus or MLB.TV or if those services add AirPlay support to their existing iOS apps.

One gripe I have with the aTV is that the included remote can't control your TV/Receiver's power or volume. I know that a lot of us will probably make use of our iPhone/iPod Touch to control the aTV, which also won't control power or volume. But I know that when my family goes to use the aTV, they'll want to use a regular remote, so it would have been nice if they had offered even the simplest of TV control buttons on the stock remote.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #8 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Engadget's Joshual Topolsky has published a brief but interesting review of the ATV-2g. I found the best bit was a comparison of two frame grabs of what appears to be closeup of an eyelid etc. as a comparison of PQ of the ATV versus the new Roku (a somewhat obvious competitor).

Some good, some bad. None of my real questions answered.
post #9 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, nothing really new there, except for the up-close PQ comparison (which actually seems a bit odd since I'm not really seeing the blockiness in the Roku pic that he claims is there, and several others replying to that review seem to feel that the Roku pic looks better). I'd love to see several more direct PQ comparisons.

I think Josh (and so many of the Apple-haters replying there) also failed to appreciate that the target market for this device is the huge market of existing iOS device owners (over 120 million iOS devices sold). IMO, if you have any iOS device, this pretty much becomes a must-have accessory. If you don't already own one, then it's still a pretty good dedicated Netflix streamer (and occasional movie/show renter) and/or, depending on your needs, a music streamer.

I think Apple's doing a good job of appealing to the average consumer market. I could see someone like my father, who currently doesn't own any Apple products and is pretty unsavvy in terms of technology, appreciating the ease of use of finding neat shows to watch on Netflix, streaming music, viewing photos, etc. People like this will learn about it from their iOS device owning children/siblings/friends.

Yeah, I wish it supported streaming full-bitrate 1080p out of the box, but it doesn't. So I've either got to plan to transcode my Blu-rays down to 720p via Handbrake, or keep a separate streamer on hand for that one purpose and use the aTV for everything else. If I want to keep things as cheap as possible, I could see maybe getting one WDTV Live box which I cart around to a couple of different rooms (if necessary) to watch my latest Blu-ray rip (before I've had a chance to downconvert it). Or, if I don't care about lugging around something bigger, I can already do that by lugging around my one existing Blu-ray player.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #10 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I'm not sure there's enough interest among ATV but I'm starting a thread anyway.

It's not quantity that matters! The ATV is only a part of the Apple approach to the media problem. It's an ongoing process. If the process seems interesting then you get on the train. Otherwise you keep bouncing from best at any time to best. The problem with getting the best media player at any given point is that it may not integrate well with a process that evolves.

Anyway, I suspect there are enough of us interested in the ATV as well as those who love to dislike it

philip
post #11 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
"Yeah, nothing really new there, except for the up-close PQ comparison (which actually seems a bit odd since I'm not really seeing the blockiness in the Roku pic that he claims is there, and several others replying to that review seem to feel that the Roku pic looks better). I'd love to see several more direct PQ comparisons."

The picture sucks, but the point is that the Roku is banding/posterizing where the AppleTV looks to be dithering more effectively. How this looks to humans on a full-sized screen, I don't know. But posterization is generally very offputting when visible.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Things that are annoying about ATV-2g:
- So far it's a bit unstable.
- Having to use Home Sharing.
- Having to use the remote to enter the Home Sharing password.
- Audio Video Controls are essentially gone. Scaling is uninteresting but color space control is useful. It seems unlikely the media/hdmi interface can't do scaling. We'll have to see if Apple turns it on in later firmware.

As speculated it buffers/caches locally streamed video as seen in the attached horrid screen photos. It takes about a minute to buffer 48 minutes (an episode of Mad Men) of 720p video and I'd guess the flash is used as a circular buffer which maximizes cacheing and probably does some flash leveling.

Apple "recommends" two screen saver styles for plasma televisions. The set of options for the "screen saver" is a bit reduced compared to ATV-1g although slide shows are the same.

I rented a $.99 special to see how long it takes to start (about a minute on 3Mb down) and what happens when you skip around. FF/REW becomes a slideshow. After a bit it switches from full screen to a native sized window. Sometimes when you stop it immediately begins playback other times there's a delay. It looks like the goal is to have smooth playback (naturally) and everything is in service to that so FF/REW "works" but there's a price to pay. I haven't looked at bandwidth usage while doing any of this but SD looks like SD and the experience seems reasonably fluid given minimal experience.

I downloaded 80 seconds of HD (Glee preview). Initially it reported 6 minutes until ready but shifted to 1 minute after about a minute. According to the progress thermometer it was about 85% downloaded at that point.

I expect many changes in the UI and in capabilities.

The box is smaller than you expect. It seems ridiculous.
LL
LL
post #13 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now this is what I expected. An hour delay to start watching 44 minutes of HD. The estimates are a bit conservative but 1.5G is 1.5G.
LL
post #14 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Now this is what I expected. An hour delay to start watching 44 minutes of HD. The estimates are a bit conservative but 1.5G is 1.5G.

Wow, that's a long time. I wonder why it would be so much longer than the current atv? (takes me about 4-6 minutes to start watching hd movie).
post #15 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Things that are annoying about ATV-2g:
- So far it's a bit unstable.

More details please.

Quote:

- Having to use Home Sharing.

Why do you feel this is a problem?

Quote:

As speculated it buffers/caches locally streamed video as seen in the attached horrid screen photos. It takes about a minute to buffer 48 minutes (an episode of Mad Men) of 720p video and I'd guess the flash is used as a circular buffer which maximizes cacheing and probably does some flash leveling..

This is a file you already had stored on your server, right? And is this over WiFi or ethernet? Shouldn't this file be about 1GB? It's hard to believe that it can transfer 1GB in a minute. That would be over 100 Mb/s.

Quote:

I download 1:20 of HD (Glee preview). Initially it reported 6 minutes until ready but shifted to 1 minute after about a minute. According to the progress thermometer it was about 85% downloaded at that point.

First you say that you're able to start watching a 1hr 20min HD show in about 2 mins, and then that you have an hour delay for some other HD show of shorter length (44 mins). What am I missing here?

Scott R
--------------
post #16 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisd View Post

I wonder why it would be so much longer than the current atv? (takes me about 4-6 minutes to start watching hd movie).

It's not any longer for me. My downlink is 3Mbs. What's yours?
post #17 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

This is a file you already had stored on your server, right? And is this over WiFi or ethernet? Shouldn't this file be about 1GB? It's hard to believe that it can transfer 1GB in a minute. That would be over 100 Mb/s.

That's transferring 1.5GB over 1G ethernet. No WiFi here.
post #18 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More details please.

Regarding stability. First it zoomed the video so I could only see the upper left corner then the WiFi remote froze and the IR remote became almost unusable. It also did something that made my AVR stop passing audio from that HDMI port.

About Home Sharing: I used to be able to link a library by entering a four digit code. Now I have to enter the Home Sharing password using the on-screen keyboard and you have to do that before you can use the Remote app.
post #19 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's transferring 1.5GB over 1G ethernet. No WiFi here.

The new (and old) aTV does not have Gigabit ethernet. 100Mb/s max, which should probably equate to about half that number (60Mb/s, maybe?) for actual performance.

Scott R
--------------
post #20 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First you say that you're able to start watching a 1hr 20min HD show in about 2 mins, and then that you have an hour delay for some other HD show of shorter length (44 mins). What am I missing here?

My bad, it was an 80 second (1:20) preview of an episode not the 44 minute episode.
post #21 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The new (and old) aTV does not have Gigabit ethernet. 100Mb/s max, which should probably equate to about half that number (60Mb/s, maybe?) for actual performance.

You know, I knew that but still let parallax error on the speed LED make me think I had a gig link. I'll do another (more careful) timing. Still it wasn't that long -- it finished while I was trying to take pictures of it making progress.
post #22 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's not any longer for me. My downlink is 3Mbs. What's yours?

This week 10mb

Next week 30mb =)
post #23 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bad, it was an 80 second (1:20) preview of an episode not the 44 minute episode.

Ah, OK, I wondered if you might have been talking about a 1min 20sec file, but you didn't say it was a preview originally, so that's why I assumed 1hr 20min.

Just to clarify, you say that it takes about a minute to buffer a 48 min 720p file (I'm guessing around 1GB) stored on your own network and connected via ethernet (with part of the path being Gigabit). That's *fully* buffer (as in copy the entire file to the aTV's on-board 8GB storage), right? Did you have to wait at all to start playing it?

Scott R
--------------
post #24 of 3178 Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify, you say that it takes about a minute to buffer a 48 min 720p file (I'm guessing around 1GB) stored on your own network and connected via ethernet (with part of the path being Gigabit). That's *fully* buffer (as in copy the entire file to the aTV's on-board 8GB storage), right? Did you have to wait at all to start playing it?

Yes, 1.5G on the order of a minute. You can start watching immediately, which is no surprise since the ATV-1g can do the same and this box is a streamer. And like the 1g using the box slows/stops background downloading from the iTunes store.
post #25 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding your gripe about Home Sharing...just to clarify, that's something you would only need to set up once, right? So while entering a password might be a pain initially, I'm assuming you don't need to ever to do that again (for whichever source computer you're looking to connect to), right?

Also, I wonder if you can get the iOS Remote app synced up to your aTV before attempting to connect to your Home Sharing computers. If so, I would think you could use that app's on-screen keyboard to enter passwords.

Could you tell me what options (if any) there are for displaying your own movies' coverart / titles? All of the screenshots I've seen show a tile view of coverart. Is there any way to change this to display a list of movie titles with just the highlighted title's coverart displayed (large) on the side, along the lines of the original aTV (and, I believe, that was still an option in the latest software version of the last aTV)? Basically, I'm talking about something like the image in the first post of this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=45020

FYI, that view is a mod I made a while back to the XBMC xTV skin.

Scott R
--------------
post #26 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

LOL! Screw that...
post #27 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

For your reading pleasure, Apple's official support forum for the new aTV:
http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=274

FYI, you may also want to check out their forum for the older model as they just set up the new forum, so there are useful threads in the old aTV forum about the new model (unless the mods moved them all to the new forum).

The big thing that I'm seeing there is that the limitation of sending only 720p out of the HDMI port is causing a lot of folks with older TVs problems. It looks like many long-time aTV owners have older sets which don't support 720p (e.g., sets with DVI only or really early HDMI sets which only support 480p). There are enough posts about this issue there that I think it could turn into a problem for them. Hopefully they'll be able to issue a firmware update which will allow the aTV to scale the HDMI output to other resolutions.

I suspect that people with only DVI inputs on their sets may still be out of luck, though, since HDCP is probably a requirement due to all of the DRM content that Apple's pushing.

Scott R
--------------
post #28 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 211
Quote:

I suspect that people with only DVI inputs on their sets may still be out of luck, though, since HDCP is probably a requirement due to all of the DRM content that Apple's pushing.

DVI has support for HDCP. Early DVI devices didn't but later on almost all DVI devices included it.
post #29 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

LOL! Screw that...

And now hopefully people realize why Apple didn't add 1080p support yet. They're more concerned that someone can start a movie as quick as possible, then pushing for additional pixels and having someone wait an hour before they can start watching a movie. Even with 720p-only content, poor bodosom with his slow internet connection has to wait.

That said, in an ideal world they might give you the option of 720p or 1080p (with a longer wait).

I guess I'm spoiled/lucky. The last time I ran a test, I think I was getting about 15Mbps down, so I shouldn't have a problem.

Scott R
--------------
post #30 of 3178 Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

DVI has support for HDCP. Early DVI device didn't but later on almost all DVI devices included it.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

Scott R
--------------
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page