SlingBox: way to watch diff recorded programs from DVR one on SlingPlayer, one on TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a Slingbox Pro-HD connected to a Dish VIP722 DVR, I'm able to watch recorded programming on my Windows PC with the Slingplayer but if someone is also watching the DVR on TV connected to the DVR we're both forced to watch the same recorded program. It would be nice to be able to have me watch one recorded program with Slingplayer on my PC and someone else watching a different recorded program on TV where the DVR is outputting a signal directly to the TV. Anyway to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I have a Slingbox Pro-HD connected to a Dish VIP722 DVR, I'm able to watch recorded programming on my Windows PC with the Slingplayer but if someone is also watching the DVR on TV connected to the DVR we're both forced to watch the same recorded program. It would be nice to be able to have me watch one recorded program with Slingplayer on my PC and someone else watching a different recorded program on TV where the DVR is outputting a signal directly to the TV. Anyway to do this?

I use a second receiver to do this. The extra $5/month is worth it for me
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
you use a second receiver to do what? I'm talking about watching two different RECORDED programs (as in recorded on DVR) simultaneously using SlingBox (one recorded program on PC, the other recorded program via TV connected to DVR).

I looked into cost of adding a second DVR but even if I buy a DVR myself Dish charges an additional $14/month (when i asked them) just for having second DVR which is hard to swallow.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The answer is no. Your DVR only has one video output, so both the Slingbox and the TV connected to it will have to "share" it and see the same thing.... Unless I'm misunderstanding you, with one DVR you can't do what you want.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
The DVR would need to have two video outputs AND two video decoders to do this. DVRs typically only have one video decoder, hence only one program can watched.

The best solution is to have a dedicated box to use with something like a Slingbox or Monsoon Platium HD.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
OP, what everyone else has told you is correct. You would need a DVR that not only had two video outputs, but also had the ability to send a specific program to one video output and a different program to another video output. It would also need to be able to process two different IR commands from two different remotes at the same time (one for each DVR feed).

Obviously nothing like this exists. You need another DVR for your Slingbox.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Actually there is a way. The 722 has 2 independent outputs that you can use to watch 2 different programs simultaneously - make sure you are using the "Dual" mode. But there are a few catches:
- Main output (say OP1) is the only one with HD capabilities. OP2 is only SD. You can still watch a HD program but it will show only in SD.
- OP1 uses IR remote, OP2 uses RF remote. Slingbox uses IR.

So, the options are:
1) Use OP2 on TV, OP1 on Sling. You have full separate control on both devices and Slingbox remote can be used to control the receiver. Cons - You will only get SD on TV through OP2.
2) If you want HD on TV, you have to use OP1 on TV, OP2 on Sling. But as OP2 uses RF remote, you cannot use Sling remote but only the dish RF remote. So you will have to be in the same house and use Dish remote. Obviously this won't work if you are trying to use Sling remotely.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Actually there is a way. The 722 has 2 independent outputs that you can use to watch 2 different programs simultaneously - make sure you are using the "Dual" mode. But there are a few catches:
- Main output (say OP1) is the only one with HD capabilities. OP2 is only SD. You can still watch a HD program but it will show only in SD.
- OP1 uses IR remote, OP2 uses RF remote. Slingbox uses IR.

So, the options are:
1) Use OP2 on TV, OP1 on Sling. You have full separate control on both devices and Slingbox remote can be used to control the receiver. Cons - You will only get SD on TV through OP2.
2) If you want HD on TV, you have to use OP1 on TV, OP2 on Sling. But as OP2 uses RF remote, you cannot use Sling remote but only the dish RF remote. So you will have to be in the same house and use Dish remote. Obviously this won't work if you are trying to use Sling remotely.

Wow! that is unusual to have two decoders. How many other boxes are capable of this? The best use of that feature I could see would be for when a person is archiving content to a disc. That way they can be burning content to the disc while also watching something else on the DVR. The TiVos cannot do this which I could have used back in 2003 when i got my first stand alone Philips DVD burners and I would burn content to disc to take over to my girlfiends house for us to watch.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Wow! that is unusual to have two decoders. How many other boxes are capable of this? The best use of that feature I could see would be for when a person is archiving content to a disc. That way they can be burning content to the disc while also watching something else on the DVR. The TiVos cannot do this which I could have used back in 2003 when i got my first stand alone Philips DVD burners and I would burn content to disc to take over to my girlfiends house for us to watch.

It actually gets even better. You can also add an (optional) OTA module to this receiver and that can be used as a 3rd decoder. I use it when I have to record 3 programs simultaneously and one of them is available OTA. I love the functionality as it means I have one central DVR that can feed multiple outputs. E.g. I use the OP2 to feed 3 other SD televisions across the house (they can all show only 1 thing though, but can be different from the main OP1 feeding the main HD TV). I can also watch part of the recording on OP1 and then pick it up from OP2 in another room. The 222 and also some of the older Dish 6xx series had the same features - look for "Duo" in the name. This alone makes the Dish DVRs wayy better than TiVo for me.

OP - You may have to add diplexers etc to make this work, but it is standard Dish stuff, so if you don't have it you can just call them and get it installed correctly. Just tell them you have another TV that you want to feed off the same receiver.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page