Is Sage right for me? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The application that opened when I installed the HDHR was the player that came on the HDHR intall disc. I don't think I got to a place that let me choose a default. I'll erase the HDHR when I get home and try again. I did have sage installed when I installed the HDHR.

Sage actually found the HDHR when I was going through the setup (both inputs), just nothing shows up on the screen when I get to the test playback part of the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.K.B. View Post

The application that opened when I installed the HDHR was the player that came on the HDHR intall disc. I don't think I got to a place that let me choose a default. I'll erase the HDHR when I get home and try again. I did have sage installed when I installed the HDHR.

Sage actually found the HDHR when I was going through the setup (both inputs), just nothing shows up on the screen when I get to the test playback part of the setup.

That is the same issue I have, SageTV sees the HDHR and I can set it up, but get a black screen. When you run the source setup in SageTV for the HDHR did it find any channels when you do the scan? Mine finds zero channels which is why I get a black screen (but this is mostly likely because the HDHR is set up with WMC as the Main Application)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #63 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

That is the same issue I have, SageTV sees the HDHR and I can set it up, but get a black screen. When you run the source setup in SageTV for the HDHR did it find any channels when you do the scan? Mine finds zero channels which is why I get a black screen (but this is mostly likely because the HDHR is set up with WMC as the Main Application)

I did do the scan and it didn't change any of the channels with a green dot to red, but when clicking on a channel and testing individually, it says signal strength 0 and nothing shows up.

Do you think the Hauppauge HVR-2250 would be a better way to go? I've already got to return my wireless keyboard since it won't work through the closet wall. I could send the HDHR back as well.
post #64 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did do the scan and it didn't change any of the channels with a green dot to red, but when clicking on a channel and testing individually, it says signal strength 0 and nothing shows up.

Do you think the Hauppauge HVR-2250 would be a better way to go? I've already got to return my wireless keyboard since it won't work through the closet wall. I could send the HDHR back as well.

I don't think that will indicate that the HDHR is set up though, as all my channels still have a green circle next to them, When you run the channel scan how many channels did it tell you it found?

I have the 2250 as well, and have it working with one of the tuners via Analog and SageTV (easy to set up). I haven't tried to set up the other tuner as QAM, but I recall having issues (although I have not revisited the topic in a while)

Cheers,
Damian

post #65 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Just looked at the manual again and it says for the HDHR to work with sage that you need sage 6.5 or later. I'll have to see which one got downloaded. I know it says sage 6 at the top, but I don't know 6.x. I think when I bought it, it can be upgraded to sage 7, so I may try that as well.
post #66 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I wouldn't get too hung up on that test screen, I usually just skip it. I'd got past that, then go into Detailed Setup -> Video (and Audio) and start with the Video and audio decoders set to default. Then see if you can watch a channel.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #67 of 87 Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just tested the 2250 (the QAM side) and I keep getting errors about drivers not being up to date. The Analog side works fine so not sure what the issue is, will have to investigate further

Cheers,
Damian

post #68 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

stranger89 - I tried skipping through to the end like you said and went into the detailed setup and I'm still not able to watch a channel.

Which codec should I get to watch the bluray h.264 file through sage? I have it pointing to the right folder and it sees it, it just won't play it.
post #69 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

stranger89 - I tried skipping through to the end like you said and went into the detailed setup and I'm still not able to watch a channel.

Are you getting "no signal", a playback exception?

Quote:

Which codec should I get to watch the bluray h.264 file through sage? I have it pointing to the right folder and it sees it, it just won't play it.

You'll need an H.264 decoder, I think if you're using Windows 7, the Microsoft DTD video decoder works well. I'm not really sure, I don't play BDs through SageTV software, I use the extender so I haven't mucked with decoders in a while.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #70 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just tested the 2250 (the QAM side) and I keep getting errors about drivers not being up to date. The Analog side works fine so not sure what the issue is, will have to investigate further

FYI, updating the drivers did the trick, QAM channels pulled in without issue. Now need to figure out why analog channels don't pull in audio after the first few seconds

Cheers,
Damian

post #71 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Are you getting "no signal", a playback exception?

You'll need an H.264 decoder, I think if you're using Windows 7, the Microsoft DTD video decoder works well. I'm not really sure, I don't play BDs through SageTV software, I use the extender so I haven't mucked with decoders in a while.

Ah, so with the extender the codec isn't needed at all? I'm running vista 64. I don't plan to watch the BD on my comp, I just assumed if I couldn't see it on here that it wouldn't show up on the extender. The extender is out for delivery today so I'll hook it up later and see if it shows up on the TV.
post #72 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FYI, updating the drivers did the trick, QAM channels pulled in without issue. Now need to figure out why analog channels don't pull in audio after the first few seconds

When I installed the HD tuner and software, I thought I was done since the channels were coming through on the HD viewer, but I found this article on the silicon dust website that shows where I need to point the tuner to sage. I've done that and am in the process of rescanning the channels in the HDHR setup, then I'll restart sage and see if anything shows up now.

Here are the instructions I am using:
http://www.silicondust.com/support/h...ctions/sagetv/
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34196
post #73 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When I installed the HD tuner and software, I thought I was done since the channels were coming through on the HD viewer, but I found this article on the silicon dust website that shows where I need to point the tuner to sage. I've done that and am in the process of rescanning the channels in the HDHR setup, then I'll restart sage and see if anything shows up now.

Here are the instructions I am using:
http://www.silicondust.com/support/h...ctions/sagetv/
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34196

Yeah, the reason why my HdHr doesn't work with SageTV is because I still have it pointed to Windows Media Center as the main application. I have a feeling that once I switch over it should work just as well as the 2250

Cheers,
Damian

post #74 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Ah, so with the extender the codec isn't needed at all? I'm running vista 64. I don't plan to watch the BD on my comp, I just assumed if I couldn't see it on here that it wouldn't show up on the extender. The extender is out for delivery today so I'll hook it up later and see if it shows up on the TV.

If you watch with a extender then the codec you are talking about isn't needed. I just had to reinstall WinXP SP3 & my SageTV install. I decided this time around to just use the HTPC as a server & only use extenders.

This worked beautifully. I can watch Blu-rays & all of my other content. Didn't have to install any extra codecs or external programs. PowerDVD, TMT3 etc..

SageTV v7 WHS + 2 HD200s
Windows Home Server PP3 - Dual Xeon 2.8ghz
23 Drives - 26 Terabytes
Blu-ray Titles 251
HD-DVD Titles 166
DVD Titles - Too Many To Count..
post #75 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, setting sage as the default in HDHR worked. Now I get both HD and SD channels in sage.

I don't have time right now, but I'm going to try and get the extender up and running tonight. Hopefully that will go a little smoother that the HDHR!
post #76 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From my experience if you can tune a channel and start a recording the extender will just work.

post #77 of 87 Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks guys, setting sage as the default in HDHR worked. Now I get both HD and SD channels in sage.

I don't have time right now, but I'm going to try and get the extender up and running tonight. Hopefully that will go a little smoother that the HDHR!

As Stranger89 mentioned, if you have the HdHr working in SageTV MC that is acting as the server there is nothing you have to do on the extender side except turn to the channels

Cheers,
Damian

post #78 of 87 Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, getting the extender operational was easy. I went ahead and upgraded to sage7 and installed the my movies plugin and comskip. My movies works, I haven't recorded anything with the comskip yet to see if that is working right.

By copying the BDs as a bluray instead of an ISO to my hard drive, is there a way to still get them onto a disc if I choose to do that with a few of them or do I need to re-copy them to the hard drive as an ISO and then burn? I wouldn't plan to back up the whole collection that way, I was just thinking it would be nice to burn a couple to discs to take on our ski trip and not have to worry about keeping up with them or what happens to them afterward.
post #79 of 87 Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, getting the extender operational was easy. I went ahead and upgraded to sage7 and installed the my movies plugin and comskip. My movies works, I haven't recorded anything with the comskip yet to see if that is working right.

By copying the BDs as a bluray instead of an ISO to my hard drive, is there a way to still get them onto a disc if I choose to do that with a few of them or do I need to re-copy them to the hard drive as an ISO and then burn? I wouldn't plan to back up the whole collection that way, I was just thinking it would be nice to burn a couple to discs to take on our ski trip and not have to worry about keeping up with them or what happens to them afterward.

I know with DVDs you can just drop a DVD structure into IMGBurn and burn a playable DVD.

Of course you could always just load a bunch of BDs onto an external HDD and take it and your HD300 along.

post #80 of 87 Old 10-29-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I know with DVDs you can just drop a DVD structure into IMGBurn and burn a playable DVD.

Of course you could always just load a bunch of BDs onto an external HDD and take it and your HD300 along.

Yeah, that could work. I was thinking more if we drove to be able to use a portable bluray player (I don't have one, but I'm pretty sure my buddy does). I doubt I'll be watching much tv when we're in colorado skiing

I was just wanting to avoid having to keep up with more than just the ski gear.

I'll try and see what I can manage to burn between now and then. Its not until january. I'm just trying to be proactive and keep my options open with the way I format the BD on my hard drive.
post #81 of 87 Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Which files are considered the temp files? This is what I end up with in clown. I tried erasing the last samurai folder, but then the movie didn't play anymore. Maybe I misread something in the clown writeup. As is, it works fine, the total folder is just large 42gb.
LL
post #82 of 87 Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Which files are considered the temp files? This is what I end up with in clown. I tried erasing the last samurai folder, but then the movie didn't play anymore. Maybe I misread something in the clown writeup. As is, it works fine, the total folder is just large 42gb.

Those are all temp files with the exception of the Last Samuri folder

Cheers,
Damian

post #83 of 87 Old 10-31-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Those are all temp files with the exception of the Last Samuri folder

Thanks, that worked.

For my HDHR, I've got it set up to use both the cable and ota inputs and that works, but I'm missing about 75% of the ota tv guide data for those channels. I checked on the zap2it website and they are listed for my area and the channel names and numbers match what mine had in them in the HDHR ota setup and in sage. I did the sage manual tv guide refresh by clicking a green dot off and then back on as well as rebooting sage etc. Any ideas here?
post #84 of 87 Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I think I have everything working well enough with sage that I am going to go trade an HDDVR box in for just a regular HD box to save a few dollars a month. I'm still getting a few "no data" entries for my OTA tv guide that do show up on zap2it, but I just ordered a Hauppauge HVR-2250 to get my analog cable stations so it should pick up the channels that the tv guide currently doesn't recognize so that i can record them.

I do however have a question regarding the cable box and the PVR. Does sage recognize or do anything when the cablebox goes to sleep after several hours and requires you to push a button to wake it up? If not, the first time it goes to tune the cahnnel for a particular recording, it would really just be waking the box up. I just hooked the PVR up yesterday so I haven't been able to get any first hand experience with this foreseeable issue yet.
post #85 of 87 Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my assumption was correct. I checked on it at lunch today and it was recording something on a HD cable channel 633 and I guess the first button woke up the box and then it tuned it to 33. After the box was awake, the subsequent recordings were on the correct HD channels.

I've done a search on here about "cable box sleep sage" and can't find anything on this. I can't imagine I'm the first person to experience this.
post #86 of 87 Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I've done a search on here about "cable box sleep sage" and can't find anything on this. I can't imagine I'm the first person to experience this.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sear...archid=5240015

-Suntan
post #87 of 87 Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Just noticed that the blaster is not recognized every time the computer sleeps so I am going to try this recommendation first and then try the STB keep alive. Looks like I'll have to get a usb-uirt though and sage is currently on backorder. I'll see where else I can get one.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=blaster
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page